Fallout 4: Want, needs, and things that aren't needed

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
ParsonOSX said:
what features would you like to see in this game as a new addition, what should be taken away if anything, and what should be improved or just not feature in Fallout 4?
-If they keep faction rep, use Skyrim's bounty removal system on it so I dont become hated when I kill three guys in the middle of the wasteland, and no one left alive to report me.
-Make the game play past the ending.
-Don't makes half the NPCs in towns just "MEGATON SETTLER"
This guy hit the nail on the head. I agree.
I hope they keep New Vegas' Ironsights and Hardcore mode - After playing with both of them, I couldn't go back.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
The ability to take off somebodies limb without them auto-dying. Shooting a leg off of a raider for example and they continue to crawl and shoot or surrender.

Also to be able to settle somewhere and through a series of tasks build a home from nothing, you know... like you would in a post-apocalyptic situation.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
The amount of people that seem to be missing the point of Fallout being that its a post-post-apocalyptic world, focusing on the rebuild of civilization, not the immediate aftermath of the collapse of it, is more then a little disheartening... Seriously, we have enough media franchises that focus on scavengers, raiders and mutants fighting over the last precious cans of beans, dog food, and bottled water in a grimdark fatalist setting without Fallout shifting to focus on that as well. A little of that is good, but it isn't, and shouldn't be the focus of the franchise.

OT:
1. Replace the Pip-Boy 3000 with (or provide the option to use) a hand-held variant, preferably based on the Pip-Boy 3500 mod. I know that there are lots of people that like the 3000, but based on the existence of the 3500 mod there are people like myself that don't like having a clunky hunk of metal mounted on our arms that ruins the look of several armour sets, and even outright breaks any sense of immersion one can have by causing the player character to have exposed flesh when wearing a radiation or space suit. Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of how space or radiation (even Fallout's 1950's SCIENCE! radiation) works understands why that would be a very, very bad thing.

2. This is a given, but a new area to explore, if on the east coast the Commonwealth (or at least part of it) for damn sure. After the way Bethesda built it up they have to let us explore it.

Otherwise, maybe the middle of the country, seeing as how the west coast has been pretty well explored by now, and is on top of that has been mostly settled by the NCR, leaving little untamed frontier to explore (knowing how Fallout tends towards the more optimistic endings as canon the Legion being in ruins, if not gone outright is practically a given, so there would be no worries there).

3. Brand new enemies. I know that Super Mutants are a series staple, but they were shoe-horned in when it came to Fallout 3, if you must include them do so sparingly! You guys have more then enough creative muscles to compensate, so flex those muscles dammit!

4. A more in-depth combat system, for melee and ranged both. Melee weapons that are as deep as Skyrim's (swords having increased critical chance, blunt weapons ignoring a portion of an enemy's DT [or DR]), etc. Ranged weapons that handle (please note the emphasis on HANDLE) like one would expect in a proper shooter eg. NOT SHIT, yet balanced to make melee weapons a real option, maybe by making cartridges somewhat expensive and rare (explosives even more so) if they go for the frontier setting again.

5. Tread new territory! We've seen enough of the Brotherhood of Steel, enough of the Enclave, enough of the Super Mutants, enough of the New California Republic, enough! Introduce us to new wasteland factions, allow us to experience new stories! The Vaults are an integral part of the Fallout mythos, and New Vegas handled them well. There's no need to cut them but again, use them sparingly! Flex your creative muscles Bethesda/Obsidian, we all know you can do so and do so beautifully!

Aug 1, 2010
BakaSmurf said:
The amount of people that seem to be missing the point of Fallout being that its a post-post-apocalyptic world, focusing on the rebuild of civilization, not the immediate aftermath of the collapse of it, is more then a little disheartening...
I would argue that the "Point" of the series is something that is appropriate to change game by game or at the very least, something very debatable.

Yes, Fallout 2 was very populated and had tons of rebuilding. However, Fallout 1 was far more like 3 in that there was very little in the way of civilization.

I think there's a place for both. The west coast can involve more populated, rebuilding of humanity type games where the east coast and early west coast gets to be a bit more depressing and just plain post-apocalypse.

Smeatza said:
I want Fallout 4 to be developed by Obsidian.
I NEED Bethesda to retcon their changes to the lore.
I really don't get this complaint.

I had heard about how Fallout 3 did all kinds of horrible things to the lore and I assumed it would all make sense when I played 1 and 2.

I did and I don't get it. Fallout 3 has almost nothing to do with the earlier games. Was it the minor thing about there being more Super Mutants? Was it the BoS being too nice?

I would truly appreciate an explanation of what you and others find so egregious about Fallout 3's lore.

OT:
I really don't ask for much.

I want:

1) The incredible story, mechanics, characters, quests and political intrigue of Fallout New Vegas

Combined with

2) The gorgeous map, exploration and post-apocalyptic atmosphere of Fallout 3.

Also if they do what Obsidian did with the map, I'm going to hurt someone.

[image/]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110210094138/fallout/images/2/2f/MojaveMapBW.jpg[/IMG]

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
The Divide from Lonesome Road looked... perfect, the whole aesthetic of ruined buildings, earth torn apart, storms, that sense of lifelessness and struggle to survive was awesome...more of that...

And a MARK 13 Easter Egg, that would entertain me.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Fallout 4 needs to have a well crafted story, I don't care who writes it, as long as it is quality and fits neatly into the lore. Humor, suspense and intrigue all in equal measure. It must feel like a Fallout game even if settings and characters are nearly all new.

We also need intros and outros narrated by Ron Pearlman because: war, war never changes.

I'd love for the gameplay to be more fluid and for some of the systems like VATS and food management to be implemented better as opposed to feeling tacked on in some respects.

Polished, I know this won't happen and it'll be glitchy as hell but a boy can dream.

Character customization, weapons customization, the more choices the better. Perks need to come back, they are one of those things you can't lose, I think the leveling system is pretty good as is. I'd like to see traits come back but only if they make sense or have some real impact.

Factions are kinda cool but felt really sloppy in New Vegas and would often lead to problems with story progression. Fix them or lose them, I'm good with it either way.

Keep all the Pipboy systems in, maybe a few adjustments, it could be a new model after all.

Lastly, just a grand number of quest, some huge, amazing main story ones and some extremely small quirky sidequests that are disgustingly easy to miss.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
God... Ive said this so many times, yet I cant think of most of my ideas. But anyways, I felt that New Vegas was superior to FO3 in a number of ways, One of the most important was that there was some actually choice in terms of how you play the game. I havent gotten to level 30 in NV with any of my characters, but I have surpased level 20 on two of them, and neither character had a shit ton of skill points in almost all their skills. In FO3 by level 20, I had over 50 in each skill, and that only because I had maxed out all the skills I want to put points in.

Even then though, New Vegas was more a continuation of the original FO story line. FO3 was basically its own story, and it did have its charm. Plus I will say that FO3's world map had much more interesting sights in it than NV. Specially loved the verious parts of the DC ruins. However, I fucking hated the subways, and if FO4 has anything like that, Im going to flip my shit.

So, I guess I would want them to use most of NV's mechanical upgrades to FO3, while returning to the world of FO3's east coast.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Want:

Multiple factions are a must. Being forced to join the goody goody brotherhood in 3 was stupid, especially if you're the evillest person in the game.

Multiple races would be good, but I'll just settle for a ghoul option.

New Factions.

A morally grey storyline, none of the bullshit shining white Brotherhood fighting the evil Enclave.

Don't want:

The return of the Brotherhood or Enclave in any major way. They're played out now.

The game world to be a giant shit pit of destruction. The war happened over 200 years ago, people should be rebuilding by now.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Less bugs please.

Fallout 3 and skyrim where crappy but Obsidians product isn't even funny anymore.

The world should be more like skyrim, less like fallout 3 and less like new vegas.
In fallout 3 everything is dirt and in new vegas everything is sand. Enough with the desert already.
Also in new vegas i can hardly walk around and soak in the atmosphere without seeing this or that thing that's part of some barrier where i was forced down a railroad path with. There's this giant U shape that you keep running into.

Since Bethesda somehow forgot to do good intros (childhood in fo3 was awesome, being carted to a podunk town to get a radical haircut was not.) make it a intro cutscene.
Have some Production. Of many things. Where did the food in fallout 3 come from? Brahmin probably, who can eat dirt.
Bullets and cells for the weapons where made by respawn.
Guess the "Pitt" DLC came just in time to explain that away.

Less DLC. In a scenario where you could put your DLC money into a "better" version of a game you're buying the DLC for you would almost always be the better choice. I'll buy a bethesda game and later i'll buy the goty version of that game to get all the dlc.
I didn't like the DLC concept of new vegas where i had to pay money to find out some things about the player character who apparently made some super smart enemies or something who could create this magical device that ends up "creating" the divide.
Would be better if get got told this earlier and then get to go after these superbrains who managed to override so many security systems. Team up with useless, i mean Ulysses, kill some bad guys and find out what they didn't like about this place.

Maybe Alistair Tenpenny survived the bullets i put in his head and the fall from tenpenny tower and the grenades i tossed after him and was thinking i'm going to go to Vegas, baby! And then i will another fledgling town to nuke!"

DLCs are chances to explore concepts that aren't big enough for a full game. Some people seem to think that DLCs should have concepts and mechanics that are stupid.
Top of the stupid lists for DLCs for the latest fallouts: Dead money and operation anchorage.
Because open world gamers buy DLC for their open world games to play badly made survival horror and rail-shooters.
Zeta had more rail-shooting but at least it had colors. And Aliens.
Point lookout was better in creating unsettling atmospheres then dead money.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
BakaSmurf said:
The amount of people that seem to be missing the point of Fallout being that its a post-post-apocalyptic world, focusing on the rebuild of civilization, not the immediate aftermath of the collapse of it, is more then a little disheartening...
I would argue that the "Point" of the series is something that is appropriate to change game by game or at the very least, something very debatable.

Yes, Fallout 2 was very populated and had tons of rebuilding. However, Fallout 1 was far more like 3 in that there was very little in the way of civilization.

I think there's a place for both. The west coast can involve more populated, rebuilding of humanity type games where the east coast and early west coast gets to be a bit more depressing and just plain post-apocalypse.
Considering FO3 was a jumping-off point for most people it wouldn't fit well in terms of the progression if we started off with civilization. Hopefully, all the small talk is now out of the way.

Plasticaprinae

Jul 9, 2013
I would find it interesting for it to take place in a place other than the United states. Not everyplace was bombed, some just fell into chaos. More factions would be fun. I would love it if they made a game in europe.

I would definitely want them to keep the conversation options. i would also like more indepth companion-player relationships. I liked it a lot when companions had things to say about the current quests or places youve traveled to.

I would like facial expressions while talking and more varied body animations. I would also like an easier inventory. Please.. for the love of god... separate the food from the medical supplies. Also make it easier to drop things. I like to collect teddy bears and dinosaurs and dropping can be quite a hassle when you have to drag the amount you want. Also, I hate it when quest items stay in your inventory when youre done with them. I have 50 stupid rockets in my NV inventory now.

Yeah. Less glitches.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Europe would be fun if it was a Jetsons like society. Start the game in a Futurama-style Bern or Helsinki and have the game be about being sent to the US to retrieve something. Basically have it that parts of Northern Europe managed to escape the war entirely and now 200+ years later they're trying to re-establish contact with North America.

Or have them be the bad guys. Viking style power-armor and lazer-axes FTW!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Madman123456 said:
Where did the food in fallout 3 come from? Brahmin probably, who can eat dirt.
-Hunters who hunt Yao Guai, MireLurks, Mole Rats, for their meat.
-Scavengers who scavenge guns, ammo, armor, etc. etc. from ruins.
-They trade it to the cities for shelter/stuff the other group brought in.
-Cities trade what they don't need to the caravan merchants.
-Caravan merchants trade it between cities.
-Rivet City trades fresh food, such as carrots, apples, and pears, grown in its hydroponics bay to the other cities for scrap metal to fix their ship.
-On top of that there are two kings of naturally growing mutfruit, that grow in the bushes of the C.W.
-There is also brahmin, who they use for meat and milk.
-Occasionally they get punga from Point Lookout.

Also, brahmin eat grass, there is literally a metric f-ton of it in the CW.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I could make a big list but I'll keep it low. I want things like weather and some more survival elements like radioactive rain. Basically what Obsidian did with their survival mode except simpler so you don't have to worry about things like dehydration and starvation, though a hardcore mode would be welcome. I also think the game could use better animations for the enemies and animals. And I think they should keep the weapon customization and other features that were added in New Vegas. I also think they should keep alternating between Bethesda and Obsidian as developers so players like me can actually get an interesting world to explore from Bethesda and older fans of the series can get their original Fallout lore and nice talky bits from Obsidian (I'll happily play both)

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
1. Move the setting out of America
2. Give the game to a team who can actually write.
3. Don't let Bethesda make it.
4. Keep it funny.
5. Don't let Bethesda make it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
FEV was in West Tek until 2077, and that was moved to Mariposa. An executive order from the president himself forced the move. FEV didn't leave west tek until the closing days of the old world.

So yes, the government centralized research yet somehow a civilian bunker company got a hold of a highly secret war chemical.

The only game where Vault Tec got FEV was in Fallout: BOS, and that game was an abomination to try to get console gamers to buy it using pandering shooting and immature jokes. Seriously, there was a cat named Mr. Pussy, and you have to save him. It was less of a fallout game and more what Dude-bros wanted. Hell, it even had advertisement for bawls energy drink on the billboards. So I don't even need to tell you it isn't canon.
The same civilian bunker company that also got a hold of everything from nuclear power generators, to cloning technology, to psychotropic drugs, all on the order of government, in order to further human experimentation, which use of FEV on humans qualifies as, as part of the vault project, a human experimentation program created by the government, and that vault tec was in on, and which was equally as secret as FEV itself.

Nice to see how you left that little detail out.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
What I want:
1. Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
2. Some fucking QA testing
3. More locations on the map. I want to see OP weapons guarded by deathclaws and other high-level monsters on the outskirts of the map.
4. Make Wild Wasteland funny again
5. It's been 500 years since the bombs dropped. No more fucking deserts.
6. Did I mention Obsidian should be developing it?

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
CloudAtlas said:
In a game where you shoot with guns, combat should feel like in a shooter, and not like... Oblivion. That was my biggest gripe with Fallout 3. Now that id software is part of their family, there's really no excuse anymore.

In my opinion that would be the worst thing to happen to it. I'm not saying make it like skyrim but don't make it like any other generic first person shooter. If they use id software I would lose all hope in it.