Fallout 4

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
ANON88UK said:
AdeptaSororitas said:
ANON88UK said:
Its time Fallout left the U.S and based it somewhere else instead
YOu do realize that the entire feel and purpose of Fallout revolves around the fact that the setting is 50's era cold war paranoia. It simply would not work in any other country.
The cold war and the 50s only happened in the U.S ?
Sorry, I'm not trying to say that. What I'm trying to say is the sense of overwhelming paranoia and more specifically the overwhelming sense of Americana, and it's ironic use in the Fallout Universe, is the thing that makes Fallout Fallout and not just another Post-Apoc game.

ANON88UK

Oct 5, 2011
ANON88UK said:
AdeptaSororitas said:
ANON88UK said:
YOu do realize that the entire feel and purpose of Fallout revolves around the fact that the setting is 50's era cold war paranoia. It simply would not work in any other country.
Really though yes it would have a bit of a different feel and that's the point

It's just my opinion, like every opinion it is not without bias and is not 100% objective

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
permadeath option would be nice w/a roguelike graveyard to view all your failed attempts, a hardcore hardcore mode. Just an option of course, many wouldn't like it i'm sure, and even those who like it might want to reserve it for a later playthrough. Or at least add the ability in the editor for a modder to do this.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
ANON88UK said:
I'm not sure it would be a 'Fallout' game if that were to happen. The fiction is rather intimately tied to U.S. cultural idioms and themes.

Xskills

Jan 11, 2010
from my extensive experience watching third party companies utilize flagship franchises, I guess that if the decision from the recent court case versus Interplay lets Bethesda keep Fallout, Fallout 4 would be developed internally (Bethesda Softworks) using the Skyrim engine and would be officially announced at the earliest E3 or Quakecon this year.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
AdeptaSororitas said:
ANON88UK said:
AdeptaSororitas said:
ANON88UK said:
Sorry, I'm not trying to say that. What I'm trying to say is the sense of overwhelming paranoia and more specifically the overwhelming sense of Americana, and it's ironic use in the Fallout Universe, is the thing that makes Fallout Fallout and not just another Post-Apoc game.
Britain might work as we had a similar culture at that point.

I think you are kind of right though I can't see it working well elsewhere. Obsidian have kind of written Beth into a corner though with the couriers decisions and they can't use the warp in the west excuse this time. :p

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
kman123 said:
No official news but it's inevitable, Fallout 3 was a huge success.

I'm really not fussed for any revolutionary changes. I LOVED 3 and New Vegas. Clean up the gunplay and glitches and improve graphics and I'll buy that on Day 1 and play it for hours.
What this guy said - Fallout 3 and New Vegas are probably my two most beloved games of this console generation; I'm still playing New Vegas, even though I have Skyrim, Uncharted 3, AC: Revelations, and Battlefield 3 all waiting for me. The day Fallout 4 is released is going to be a very happy day for me.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
trollnystan said:
Because of this thread I went to check out their webpage and apparently they have a game called Dishonored in development. It looks REALLY interesting. The art director worked on Half-Life 2 apparently... Anyway, thanks for that OP; I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't gone looking because of this thread!
Another developer is making Dishonoured, Bethestda are only doing publishing duties for it.
So Bethesda's development team is most likely working on Fallout 4 and Skyrim DLC at this moment.

OT: Skyim's skill level system, keep that.
And make most buildings searchable.
I recently installed the DC Interiors mod on my FO3 for PC, and it is amazing.
Seriously, the fact that most of the buildings were initially boarded up pissed me off.
Other than that, I generally can't think of much to improve, apart from the AI.
Again with the mod references, Mart's Mutants randomly generates enemies, so a pack of Mole Rats won't all be clones of each other again. They are different sizes, colours, and they even have different stats and personalities. You might encounter 2, and one is small and will run away when it is near death, the other is large and strong, and will fight aggressively.
This is the same for every enemy in the game, except of course robots as they actually are all identical due to production lines and what not.

So yeah, that mod alone would generally make everything more varied, make every encounter unique and unpredictable, and add many layers to the combat of the game.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Dont let Bethesda anywhere near the writing aspect of the game.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
To all the people complaining about the bugs in New Vegas Bethesda did the bug testing on that game.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
Am I insulated from F:NV's bugs since I played it long after the patches? I certainly had issues with it crashing when going through doors sometimes, but another patch fixed that.

I played it on a friend's 360 so I'm note sure if that affects it - I heard the PC version was more glitchy.

Still an outstanding game.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
Smeggs said:
-I really like how lockpick in Skyrim just makes it easier to pick harder locks or gives you some good perks.
the sign of a good game mechanic, is that its hard to master at lower levels, in my opinion, and therefore Skyrim/FA:NV lock picking, in my opinion, is inferior to oblivion. i just enjoyed the system of lock picking in oblivion more, so i wish they will go back to that one, as opposed to spinning shit

(and when you think about it, oblivion's system is more realistic)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I think NV did alot of things MUCH better than Fallout 3 (but I prefered FO3's atmosphere and setting)

so I'm not too disapointed it will be bethedesa (even though skyrim and oblivion shit me to no end)

just the Idea of fallout..with that kind of graphical polish...NERDGASM!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
joe-h2o said:
Am I insulated from F:NV's bugs since I played it long after the patches? I certainly had issues with it crashing when going through doors sometimes, but another patch fixed that.

I played it on a friend's 360 so I'm note sure if that affects it - I heard the PC version was more glitchy.

Still an outstanding game.
I think the glitch thing is somtimes luck of the draw

I got fallout NV..on launch day, on a computer which is "ok" at best and while I had a few glitches nothing that "broke" the game

I fully expected it to be a glitch-fest anyway

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
A Fallout game set in London would really work quite well with all the interesting landmarks and bridges, I could imagine it being fun.

Or they could leap back in time so it's not 200 years after the war but more like 60 or something.

But imagine if the entire world outside the USA had rebuilt and were functioning fine but they didn't send help to the USA cos they were sick of the US bullshit.

But seeing as Skyrim did mountains so well, a game in Canada or the North of the USA in the rockies could be likely.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Smeggs said:
-I really liked Skyrim's skill system. It made it much easier to become a Jack-of-all-Trades, and allowed me to explore multiple skills at once. I can't really effectively become a Bare-Handed/Gun/Energy Weapons/Physical damage sponge all at the same time in Fallout. That much spread over so many different skills would leave me desperately lacking in other places...like LOCKPICK VVV

-I really like how lockpick in Skyrim just makes it easier to pick harder locks or gives you some good perks. I was able to open Master locks without ever putting in any skill points. Cost me a lot of lockpicks,but whatever. It always pissed me off in the Fallout games that if I wanted this amazing gun I'd have to actually sacrifice my GUNS skill to raise my LOCKPICK just to open a door to get it. "Okay, this lock is average, need Lockpick of 50." *Level up, dump all points into Lockpick...SKILL AT 49*
Agreed, I would also add that the TES skill style also removes the old "I killed 30 bad guys, now I can pick locks better" thing. Or the "I picked 200 locks so now I can cast fireball better" sort of thing you get. However, the bits I don't like in Skyrim are 1) No stats, just skills. 2) One perk per level? come on guys, you can be a bit more generous than that.

I hated Oblivion for the adjusting difficulty, it totally wrecked the game for me. FO3 was better. Skyrim was same. What they need to do is widen the variation more. I want to see a level 1 fool I can one shot, and more guys that I have to think to fight that aren't bosses.

Captcha: edgetsym i's histo WTF?

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
Let's just hope that Bethesda has no part in making it. For a good change to a year, let's hope their Bethesda has no part in any of their other successful franchises. All of their projects and resources should get outsourced to development teams with talent, coupled with a publishing group with a genuine love for games. Ahaha what am I saying, there's no way that would ever happen.

It wouldn't matter either way, because the majority of gamers, namely their target audience are so low-maintenance that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Sad, but true.

Pjotr84

Oct 22, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
To all the people complaining about the bugs in New Vegas Bethesda did the bug testing on that game.
Thank you! The slack that Obsidian's been getting for all the bugs in Vegas isn't completely justified. Sure, they don't have the best track record when it comes to bugs, but credit where credit's due.