Fallout: New Vegas Hardcore Mode Earns Players "Special Reward"

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
I am playing hardcore mode on my first playthrough and will be recording my adventures on a thread on this very website, Check it out!

The Life and Times of Daddy Hammer, search bar it.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
well since this games been out on xbox for about 3 days now the little i have been able to read up some people are claiming this game is better than fo3 in every way possible. that the engine has been improved over fo3s that load times are quicker. and that alot of the people have pre ordered it after demoing the leaked version.

obsidian can make great games and if you can get over the bugs better rpgs than bethesda makes, that is the state of gaming you get dumbed down but slick looking games that people lap up like dogs and the better games cause they not as polished get flamed to hell n back. There are a ton of problems and issues with the gaming industry as whole and people lapping up halos and fallout 3s and cod clones and heaping mountains of praise on mediocre games like they the best of their kind ever seen.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
HARDCORE MODE IS POINTLESS UNLESS ITS DEAD IS DEAD

Fallout should be a roguelike.

DO IT

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Hardcore will be too easy.

After all, the player gets infinite extra lives, right? I'm planning to play on Ultra-Hardcore: When I die, I delete my saves and start a new game. When death is permanent, the game is truly realistic.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
PissOffRoth said:
sunburst313 said:
Hardcore mode sounds absolutely amazing and I feel like I should be more psyched than I am. But it's made by Obsidian. They always offer some form of revolutionary gameplay experience and absolutely destroy it with cut corners and bugs. I'll withhold judgment for now.
I don't see how you can cut corners with Hardcore. Just changing item stats and gameplay mechanics. Probably didn't even take much effort to do. It's just their way of catering to challenge seekers.
Changing the gameplay mechanics doesn't take effort? News to me.

Anyways, the hardcore mode itself has little to do with my point. A cool mode can't save a buggy, unpolished game. So despite how awesome the idea of a hardcore mode sounds, I won't be hyped to try it out until I know the game doesn't fail the same ways all Obsidian games fail.

Jack Gruff

Jul 24, 2010
Chamale said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Hardcore will be too easy.

After all, the player gets infinite extra lives, right? I'm planning to play on Ultra-Hardcore: When I die, I delete my saves and start a new game. When death is permanent, the game is truly realistic.
Well then you're already playing one, now aren't you ;)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Wolfinton said:
You're in luck my friend! [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/55228/Fallout-New-Vegas-Drops-Games-For-Windows-Live-For-Steam]
That leaves trophies. Tasty tasty trophies...
Well, STEAM would probably have achievements with it, but they're not quite the same as trophies for me.

It mainly boils down to the modding as I'm extremely paranoid when downloading crap on my computer. I'm always worried that I'll fuck up my computer even more as there seems to be a new problem every other week with my brand new computer.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jumplion said:
Well, STEAM would probably have achievements with it, but they're not quite the same as trophies for me.

It mainly boils down to the modding as I'm extremely paranoid when downloading crap on my computer. I'm always worried that I'll fuck up my computer even more as there seems to be a new problem every other week with my brand new computer.
True about the trophies. I mean, they're trophies, not just little numbers. Shiny cups!

As for mods, yeah I recognise your paranoia. But with modding, all you can fuck up is the game, not your computer. It's important to get your mods from a trustworthy place though. Luckily there is one, the Fallout 3 Nexus. [http://www.fallout3nexus.com/]

I've used their Oblivion a lot and their Fallout one a bit as well, and it's good stuff they have there.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
You do realise that you people are ruining the gaming experience across the board, don't you?

No wonder companies release half finished buugy rubbish and then proceed to offer no support and still charge us full price when people like ALL OF YOU HERE persistantly buy any and all products from half baked companies like Obsidian.

Obsidian haven't released a product worth buying since most of them were in Black Isle.

Every game they have released as Obsidian has been based on someone elses ip, (except their own spy game.. which was STILL half finished, broken rubbish) and has been a BUGGY, BROKEN, HALF FINISHED MESS... and you STILL buy their products!!!!

Just remember the next time you decide to biatch about a game.. that YOU are responsible for the state of the industry the way it is.... because YOU KEEP BUYING unplayable, broken garbage.

None of you have ANY self control whatsoever.... and that's sad for those of us who do.

I wouldn't wet on Obsidian if they were on fire.
You're breaking my god damn heart, really. Games like Fallout are what keep the industry alive; they sell in massive amounts, and they're actually highly original where it counts. Sure, post apocalyptic wasteland has been done before, but their own original flavour has been brought to it. This isn't about self control at all, it's about jaded cynics crying about companies and games that they don't like being bought by those of us who still realise what a fun game is. Way to preach to a choir that doesn't speak your language.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
Curse you Fallout making me up my difficulty in order to get something nice. And if it is just an achievement.......

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Fumbleumble said:
You do realise that you people are ruining the gaming experience across the board, don't you?

No wonder companies release half finished buugy rubbish and then proceed to offer no support and still charge us full price when people like ALL OF YOU HERE persistantly buy any and all products from half baked companies like Obsidian.

Obsidian haven't released a product worth buying since most of them were in Black Isle.

Every game they have released as Obsidian has been based on someone elses ip, (except their own spy game.. which was STILL half finished, broken rubbish) and has been a BUGGY, BROKEN, HALF FINISHED MESS... and you STILL buy their products!!!!

Just remember the next time you decide to biatch about a game.. that YOU are responsible for the state of the industry the way it is.... because YOU KEEP BUYING unplayable, broken garbage.

None of you have ANY self control whatsoever.... and that's sad for those of us who do.

I wouldn't wet on Obsidian if they were on fire.
For a first post, you really know how to mark yourself out as someone who won't reach Epic Poster status. The thing is, although Obsidian has a reputation for bugs, at least they're trying to do something reasonably different. I'd far rather have the occasional broken game in a more innovative industry, than a wasteland of Call of Duty and Halo clones, which is the direction the industry seems to be heading in. Get your priorities straight and realise you have bigger fish to flame.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
DominicxD said:
Maybe it will be the other half of Kotor 2 that they forgot to release.
Ba dum dish!

OT: Hardcore mode sounds rather difficult. definatley going to try it on my second play through.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Delusibeta said:
The thing is, although Obsidian has a reputation for bugs, at least they're trying to do something reasonably different. I'd far rather have the occasional broken game in a more innovative industry, than a wasteland of Call of Duty and Halo clones, which is the direction the industry seems to be heading in. Get your priorities straight and realise you have bigger fish to flame.
Why on Earth do we have to choose between broken games and boring games? I'm gonna go with neither.

DiscoLenin

Jun 8, 2010
I would like to hope that you get a power fist for your avatar when you complete hardcore mode

or at least another robot butler....

Doughboy0

Sep 24, 2009
I don't believe it would be only the achievement because we've all known about that for a while.

That however leaves two options of an ingame reward or (for the xbox360/PS3) an avatar item.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
sunburst313 said:
Delusibeta said:
The thing is, although Obsidian has a reputation for bugs, at least they're trying to do something reasonably different. I'd far rather have the occasional broken game in a more innovative industry, than a wasteland of Call of Duty and Halo clones, which is the direction the industry seems to be heading in. Get your priorities straight and realise you have bigger fish to flame.
Why on Earth do we have to choose between broken games and boring games? I'm gonna go with neither.
You'll have one choice thrust upon you by the rest of the gaming public, and it's looking increasingly likely it's the latter.