Far Cry 4 Is "Packed to The Gills" With Women

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Do they not know that the world of crime has a different population distribution than world population? The vast majority of hardened criminals are going to be male.

I just find it unusual when people go PR in areas that they're technically giving a larger distribution to a group that shouldn't have it.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
AlexReynard said:
Literally nothing is ever good enough for you people, is it? No concession, no apology, is ever good enough that you won't nitpick the wording to pieces, trying to find some way to declare whoever-it-is as the problem. No matter what they do or say.

EDIT: How can some of you, with a straight face, complain about female enemies being killed in games, yet not care in the slightest that throughout the history of gaming, there have been innumerable games where you kill endless waves of all-male enemies, specifically because that is less troubling to the player than killing women?
The problem is representation.

Personally, I typically try to stay out of this debate, as I kind of agree with both sides. However, you seem to be asking for more info on the other side's stance, so maybe I can help a little bit.

As I said, the issue is representation. Think of it this way: Ubisoft doesn't want to give players the ability to play AS women, but they're willing to let players kill women. See how that might ruffle some feathers?

It's the same problem people have with the woman needing to be saved by the male characters. In isolation, it's not an issue, but when that's the default role with women in games, and being the savior/part of the team is rare enough to be noteworthy, there's a problem. The problem isn't with the game itself, it's the industry it's a part of. The game is simply the latest example of it.

Which is actually a problem I have with some complaints. I've known people who have disliked games/books/movies/etc. simply because they included a female trope. Nevermind that the rest of it was good, nor that the scene in question was both necessary for character/plot development. They think if anything contains a trope like that, it's bad. It's not. The whole problem with a trope is it's prevalence. Increasing the cases of subverting the trope is a better solution that blacklisting anything that uses it.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Dracosword said:
This just reminds me of the Mitt Romney "Binders full of women" scenario.

"No really guys, we have tons of women. We have games full of women!"
haha ninja'd immediately, as soon as I saw "packed to the gills with women" I thought of this:

like it's some kind of achievement that needs special touting that half the antagonists are female, ubisoft is once again, entirely missing the point, just like fucking romney.
I thought of Mitt Romney as well, and that gif wow how have I not seen that before.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Epidemiix said:
Anyone kinda weirded out by the way that he states this fact?

While I think that the sentiment here is awesome, there has to be a better way of saying it then "It's packed to the gills with women. They're everywhere, just like life."
About as subtle as a hammer to the brain.

(looks out the window)

My God! He's right!

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Desperate to appear to be on the right side of a social issue for once, still utterly blind as to what the original outcry was about... cluelessness, thy name is Ubisoft.
What was the initial problem anyway? I didn't pay attention to that gaming controversy because I only have 24 hours in a day.

In any case, this is just stupid. I get the sentiment, plenty of representation of women, but the wording was moronic.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I can certainly understand the whole playable character limitation, provided the character is a character, like Jason Brody, and not just a blank slate for the player to create.

YunakoTheWitch

Feb 24, 2013
Why is it that its always some bs about feminism or some other form of politics. I go to games to get away from the world. This site is just getting to become ridiculous and rife with bs. I love how anti-man this site has got. its just mind boggling. I thought Kotaku was bad with the non-gaming related stuff, but THIS. Flame away, I promise I won't be reading it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
PunkRex said:
Epidemiix said:
Anyone kinda weirded out by the way that he states this fact?

While I think that the sentiment here is awesome, there has to be a better way of saying it then "It's packed to the gills with women. They're everywhere, just like life."
I think it's kind of cute, "we got lots and lots of girls here, no fooling!", speaking of which, your avatar is adorable /)^3^(\

OT: I hope game developers don't take this the wrong way. Although i'm sure a lot of war zones are far more gender diverse then often portrayed, the reason peeps were annoyed at Assassins Creed: Unity so much was due to the heavy role of women during the games setting... right?
I'd say that the setting is part of the reason, but also just the repetition of the model of Grizzly White Guy in and of itself.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I suppose once you've got your foot in your mouth you might as well just swallow it I guess?

Anyway, still not going to buy your games Ubisoft.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
DrOswald said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Desperate to appear to be on the right side of a social issue for once, still utterly blind as to what the original outcry was about... cluelessness, thy name is Ubisoft.
What was the initial problem anyway? I didn't pay attention to that gaming controversy because I only have 24 hours in a day.

In any case, this is just stupid. I get the sentiment, plenty of representation of women, but the wording was moronic.
The wording actually kind of makes sense if you mentally append "now shut the fuck up" to the final sentence. At this point I think it has less to do with PR than it does with being tired of being the industry whipping boy for a diversity issue. Particularly considering that Ubisoft has a better track record than most when it comes to this stuff.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
EvilRoy said:
DrOswald said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

The wording actually kind of makes sense if you mentally append "now shut the fuck up" to the final sentence. At this point I think it has less to do with PR than it does with being tired of being the industry whipping boy for a diversity issue. Particularly considering that Ubisoft has a better track record than most when it comes to this stuff.
Yea, I am pretty close to 100% sure that the guy was being facetious in response to everyone who likes to complain (while still not being all that rude, in my opinion). I'm surprised that nobody seems to have picked up on that yet.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
It's ubisoft though, so anything they say or show will be hype lies, like Watch_dogs.
Sure they'll have some fancy E3 trailer with lots of women in it. But then when it's released they'll all be gone, hidden in the code but arbitrarily turned off for reasons and no I'm not bitter at all...

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Such is life of ubisoft.

Hopefully far cry 3 will have villain as cool as Vas, male or female. He was pretty awesome.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
The expression of how many female characters in their game comes across as playfully sarcastic towards other people.
I'm concerned it means the statement comes across as being misogynistic.

Like how sometimes my expression of attraction to the same sex as me in a sarcastic way to cut at society's expectation comes across as homophobic or unbearable homoerotic.

Speaking in this way comes at risk of miscommunications.

I think the way it was expresses isn't as inclusive as they had hoped. It comes across as "Our game has a lot of things called "women"".

I found the article amusing because of the Ass Creed controversy.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Does this really qualify as news?

Who cares? I mean really.

Congratulations, you created a bunch of female characters. Unless they are well though-out characters, then all you have are placeholders.

Depulcator

Mar 5, 2012
This does not in anyway change the fact I'm going to buy this game. Since the second one these games have just been way to fun to not play!

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I had better see a lot of Fish in Far Cry 4 or I am going to be very upset over Ubisoft's unwillingness to represent fish in their games. Especially after making claims about gill's being stuffed. And they better be given personality and not be scantily clad. It better be a playable character option.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
For some reason I just imagined Oprah on an episode throwing women out at the audience.

WOMEN FOR EVERYONE!!!

*audience roars*