Favorite game that tanked in sales

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Kursura said:
Okami: It's the worst selling game that won a game of the year award.
Kursura: how true. PSM gave it a 10/10, "Buy it or die!" award too.

Definitely a contender for my fav undersold game, but my love has to go to War of the Monsters. It was a bit shallow and cheap at times, but every argument you could have about it flies out the window when you see a giant robot throw King Kong clean through a 50 story building. With explosions. And fire.
I remember that game! Awesome premise, let down by just not being as good as its potential allowed for. A good size character roster, (nearly) fully-destructible environments, and each character as unique in appearance and moveset.

A sequel/reboot with solid graphics and better gameplay would be sweet.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
aba1 said:
ohhhh so many

custom robo
sonic adventure 2 battle
f-zero gx
kirby air ride
bloody roar: primal fury

the amount of hours I spent on some of these games is crazy I no they might not be flops but none are all that popular n this is just for the cube
mmmmm Sonic Adventure battle 2 and kirby air ride. Such classic games. I used to play the first level of Sonic AB2 just to hear the song over and over again. I would spend hours in that chao garden yet i never beat the game. got to that very last level thing but I couldnt do it. Bought it fairly recent to try and give it another go but i got lost in my other games. Kirby air ride though i beat that. With out any story me and my brothers still spent days of gametime trying to fill every last one of those damn blocks out. At least i know we got City trials and the mini game one i think it was called Top ride? Then we got most for Air ride. Man i loved those games

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
Both Drill Dozer and Touch Detective are in my top ten favourite games ever, with Drill Dozer even managing to make it into the top 5, but both were commercial flops. Oh well. The smaller the fanbase the better in my opinion, so I don't mind that people don't really know about them.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Alphakirby said:
Moeez said:
Neverhood (only sold 40,000 copies then was discontinued)http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/259/d/5/the_neverhood_dock_icon_by_xxjohnnnyxx-d2ytpei.png
OH CRAP,I FORGOT ABOUT THE NEVERHOOD!
It was a short,but fun point and click adventure,It was probably released too late or had bad advertising because I never heard of it when it came out. I finally played it and had a good time playing it. The soundtrack was awesome too...at least in my opinion.
The songs suffer from Jet Set Radio syndrome though,as they really sound best in the game.

and a scene from the game.

Thanks for reminding me about that game.
The greatest burp ever:

Moeez

May 28, 2009
The Last Express(1997), Planescape Torment(1999), and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream(1995), story-heavy PC games didn't sell well? Shocker, I bet people blamed Doom/Quake players back then like now we do with casual CoD players ruining the sales of other games.

I now want to buy those.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
cgentero said:
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and probably in the future Last Guardian, also any Hideki Kamiya game that isn't Resident Evil 2.
Sorry, what? Shadow of the Colossus made Greatest Hits, as did Devil May Cry. Bayonetta sold over a million copies, too.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
linkblade91 said:
captaincabbage said:
Kursura said:
Okami: It's the worst selling game that won a game of the year award.
Kursura: how true. PSM gave it a 10/10, "Buy it or die!" award too.

Definitely a contender for my fav undersold game, but my love has to go to War of the Monsters. It was a bit shallow and cheap at times, but every argument you could have about it flies out the window when you see a giant robot throw King Kong clean through a 50 story building. With explosions. And fire.
I remember that game! Awesome premise, let down by just not being as good as its potential allowed for. A good size character roster, (nearly) fully-destructible environments, and each character as unique in appearance and moveset.

A sequel/reboot with solid graphics and better gameplay would be sweet.
Hell yes, It would be my first choice for a full on reboot, followed by Future Cop from PS1 days.

Just imagine, a roster of, say, 14 or so monsters (10 old ones, four new ones), destruction that allows you to smash right through buildings and tear chunks out of them without crumbling, huge new HD arenas based on some old maps and new maps, larger ones anywhere up to 20 city blocks wide (imagining a huge Manhattan based island level) with a world ceiling to match for possible ariel combat and combat based heavily on the old game, but much more balanced.

I'm imagining a huge, yellow canary-based monster that's weak but super fast in attacks and movement, or a huge industrial age mech based on magnets, with magnetized balls on chains instead of arms.

And finally, I'll leave you with this thought. 8 player online multiplayer brawls.

I may have over-thought this a bit.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I'll have to go with the majority and say , Psychonauts. I simply adored that game.

the_tom777

Jun 28, 2008
I agree with everyone else who said Psychonauts.

Also if someone has already said Beyond Good and Evil please ignore this.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Anno games seem to fly under the radar, but if you can stand ubisoft and their stupid regioning/DRM then they are great fun.

Morrowind. Sure, it as popular, but compared to it's more popular sequel it was severely underrated (especially with the bloodmoon expansion).

Overlord series- They are really fun. They are/were somewhat popular, but probably deserved more.

Company of heroes. Goddamn that was an awesome game.

Men of war (from what I've played) is awesome (if a little fiddly).

*edit* I didn't mention dystopia....shame on me :\

Nick Rauen

Apr 25, 2011
matt hazard:eat lead is my vote. it wasnt the best game and it really lacked in gameplay diversity, but the game just had too many jokes and references to gaming from all generation including wolfenstein, beside as far as the crappy cover based shooting goes i like to pretend in my mind that they made it bad on purpose to poke fun at this generations games.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
JET SET RADIO FUTURE. Where is my sequel. Bloody Roar, which also needs a sequel. Hell, I even liked the Bionic Commando with dreads; it was different.

Honestly, though? Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne. I spent 80 bucks trying to get a legit copy of a PS2 disc of it, finally got it, and still cannot beat it after a year. It's that difficult.

tomservo4prezident

Mar 12, 2010
Seconding a couple that people have mentioned (such as WET, The World Ends With You), but throwing one out that is one of my pet games, and one of the ones I replay once or twice every year. One that, in the first few pages at least, no one seems to have mentioned. Fucking. MadWorld.

Maybe it's because of the holy-shit-did-just-do-that gameplay (which only increases in insanity as you get better at it), maybe it's because the whole thing feels like reading a really good, pulpy, crazy seinen manga, but damn if this isn't one of my favorite games of recent years.

Frequently-repeated spiel over.

JourneyMan88

Jun 30, 2009
King Toasty said:
Transformers: War for Cybetron. With a bit more balancing, this could be a contender for favorite multiplayer of all time.
I agree, one of my favorites, and my experience, the online community is much more cohesive than other games (I'm looking at you, COD).
There was a game called Roadkill that I had on the PS2, I would bring it over friends' houses and we'd play it for hours, unfortunately it was relegated to the bargain bin within weeks of coming out.