Favorite Gundam Series.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
KSarty said:
Duo was my favorite character in Wing, but I don't understand the mass appeal of him or Wing for that matter. Wing was the first Gundam series I ever saw and it introduced me to the universe, so I will always love it for that, but there are just so many other Gundam series' that are just flat out better.

Wing's "plot" took the underlying message of Tomino's Gundam (war is bad) and threw it into your face every chance it got. At the same time it shied away from Tomino's method of showing how it was bad and instead decided on showing every single main character as invincible killing machines. The pacifist idealism is also thrown at you with far too much frequency, especially when every pacifist speech is simply a reworded version of a previous pacifist speech.

Character designs are by far the worst aspect of the series IMO. Each character seems like a single personality trait taken to the extreme with no other traits to speak of and the series is overflowing with the "raised for war" cliche.

The best aspects of the series were the Gundam designs and the combat sequences, and I think other Gundam series' have more to offer in both instances. For some examples, Z Gundam has an astounding number of awesome MS designs used throughout the series and CCA has some absolutely amazing MS combat.

I think Wing can be enjoyable at times, but it comes across as an attempt of putting the Super-Robot style Gundams into a typical Gundam war-drama situation, and they just didn't pull it off if you ask me.
I agree with this entire post 100%.

Well, except for Duo being my favorite character. TREIZE, dude! You can't beat Treize - you just can't.

Wing is average. 00 took its themes and was a lot more competent in handling them.

...well, until the last quarter, anyway.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
While they certainly were bishounen, were they soulless? While it probably could have helped to show a more detailed past from each respective character, but every one of those characters (save for Duo, my favourite) were fucked up.

Hiro Yuy is socially retarded and suicidal. You can tell this when he interacts with Releena. Trowa Barton has been searching for an opportunity to off himself (which he has in common with Hiro), Wufei Chang is so badly emo that he refuses to fight anyone because they are weaker than him and considers himself a coward for fighting the weak, and Quatre, while he starts off as the most normal one of them all, becomes a lunatic who wipes out an entire colony after his father is killed

Now I have not seen the version that everyone claims this has copied, but I can argue that the characters are not soulless. Granted they may not be as deep as other series (I wouldn't know) and suffer from a badass complex, but they aren't soulless.
I dunno, while Duo Maxwell was an awesome character, Trowa Barton and Wu Fei barely had any lines and Quatra, everyones favorite blonde arabian, was almost whinier than both Kamille Bidan and Amuro Ray put together (and Amuro is pretty damn whiney)

Still, Victory is my favorite, but it's not available in NA so not many people would know about it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
While they certainly were bishounen, were they soulless? While it probably could have helped to show a more detailed past from each respective character, but every one of those characters (save for Duo, my favourite) were fucked up.

Hiro Yuy is socially retarded and suicidal. You can tell this when he interacts with Releena. Trowa Barton has been searching for an opportunity to off himself (which he has in common with Hiro), Wufei Chang is so badly emo that he refuses to fight anyone because they are weaker than him and considers himself a coward for fighting the weak, and Quatre, while he starts off as the most normal one of them all, becomes a lunatic who wipes out an entire colony after his father is killed

Now I have not seen the version that everyone claims this has copied, but I can argue that the characters are not soulless. Granted they may not be as deep as other series (I wouldn't know) and suffer from a badass complex, but they aren't soulless.
I dunno, while Duo Maxwell was an awesome character, Trowa Barton and Wu Fei barely had any lines and Quatra, everyones favorite blonde arabian, was almost whinier than both Kamille Bidan and Amuro Ray put together (and Amuro is pretty damn whiney)

Still, Victory is the best, but it's not available in NA so not many people would know about it.
British born baby. If I know about any anime (save for Wing, DBZ, and...yes, Beyblade, because they were all on TV back in the 90s/early 00s) then it would be from the internet.

And yes, Duo Maxwell is a damned god, and easily the best character of that show. I mean who takes out a military base without his gundam?? Madness I tell thee.

He was a bit of a whiner, that Quatre, but you can't hide the fact that for around 5 episodes he was a lunatic, and the most dangerous antagonist of the series by far during that time.

And I guess Wufei was too busy being gods gift to Emo's worldwide to have any meaningful dialogue. You know I honestly think that he is the only character that the series could have been fine without, because he does nothing to benefit the plot at all, he only whizzed about sporadically in his Gundam, droning on about the strong and the weak.

Scoooby

Mar 11, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Scoooby said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Scoooby said:
Gundam wing it was my first and last gundam series i completed watching, every other pale in comparision...
If you've never watched any others, how do you know how good they are? :p
"completed" was the keyword, i started on seed and destiny but they didn't keep my attention as much
Well there's your problem. SEED is okay, but Destiny is ... egh.

Try the 0079 Movie Trilogy - it takes the juicy goodness of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, trims the fat and packages it neatly into one awesome movie trilogy that ... well, there's a reason it's a classic.

Or the OVAs - 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, 08th MS Team. Or if you're in the mood for something over the top and silly, G Gundam is essentially Gundam meets DBZ or Naruto or one of those other shounen series :p
Cool hopefully the OVAs will bring me back to the Gundam series, n i'll try checking out G-Gundam as well thanx!!!!

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Universal Century, but 08th MS Team in particular. I also love the original movie trilogy and try to watch it again every so often. The animation might be primitive but the character development is as top-notch as ever.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I've heard nothing but good things about The 8th MS Team, which is one of the series's that I unfortunately haven't yet been able to track down.

Once I wrap up Victory I intend to move onto War in the Pocket though, I've heard that it's one of the best.

*sigh* Picked up a big box set from China Town that was supposed to have 8th MS, X, Wing, G Gundam, Zeta, Double Zeta, SEED, SEED Destiny, Turn A, Stardust Memories etc.

Unfortunately, the only translated series' in the batch were 0079 (which I've already seen), Victory (Which I am currently watching), G Gundam and War in the Pocket. Good series's, but that's a lot of untranslated Gundam I've now got on my hands.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
I didn't like the one that had the fighters.

And the reason Wing was so awesome was because each Gundamn has a badass archetype of the sorts. Angel, Gatling Gun Guy, Arabic Fighter, Death, Dragon, Demon, Zodiac Sign, Roman Warrior...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onmi said:
AHEM!

ATTENTION ALL GUNDAM LOVERS!

FOR THE 30TH GUNDAM ANIVERSARY GUNDAM UNICORN WILL BE ADAPTED INTO AN ANIME MOVIE IN 2010.

THANK YOU.

My favourite series is ZZ FUCK the haters
Sauce?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Omni's devotion to Double Zeta kinda makes me wish that I actually had it translated. Oh well, I'll just have to stick with Victory, Uso Irving is a pretty damn good character, he lacks the whininess of Kamille and Amuro.

And Damn You Omni, I was hoping Judau was going to show up at somepoint in the second half of Victory, battling the Zanscare... but that appears to be Manga Only.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 the first season anyway. Second season annoyed me a lot =(
I never got to see the last episode of the first series. I got up to where Lockon...you know.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DarkRyter said:
G Gundam.

I remember when I was 8 and watched it on toonami.

BURNING FINGER!
*Ahem*

This hand of mine glows with an awesome power!! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this - my love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger Swooooord! Go! Go! Gooooo!!

Onmi said:
The biggest announcement is regarding Gundam Unicorn movie, in theater in 2010. It's the biggest celebration of 30th Anniversary.
Huh, cool.

Also, I disagree with you about the only good parts of CE being Astray and SRW. SEED definitely had its moments. Most of which involved Mwu la Flaga :p

Man, the FaZZ... so bulky. Nice looking, though.

Griever18 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 the first season anyway. Second season annoyed me a lot =(
I never got to see the last episode of the first series. I got up to where Lockon...you know.
:(

See avatar.

...this thread is making me realize we should have a favorite Gundam MECHA thread.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
G Gundam was a travesty, I tried watching it but when the protagonist would ask:

"Have you seen...............THIS man!" and whip out a picture, get a negative response and then HAVE TO FIGHT A CANADIAN LUMBERJACK.....that came from space.....

No. Sorry, no.

That said, 08th MS, Wing and Seed get my votes. Despite Seed's obvious rip-off of Star Wars (twins seperated at birth, giant space station lasers, use the force Kira), and the fact that Shinn becomes emo Anakin, I enjoyed the bad-assedness of the mechs and some of the wtf moments in the plot.