Favorite Sci-fi space vessel/captain?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's a tough call, but one of my favorites is actually "Kain Blueriver" and "The Swordbreaker", one of the few times I'll actually nominate an anime. That's pretty obscure though.

I really liked the show "Farscape" but the nature of the ship and crew sort of prevents it from a nomination here since the ship is a living entity (a character unto itself) and they really don't have a "captain" or even a clear chain of command, which is half their problem.

"Dylan Hunt" and "The Andromeda Ascendant" was a pretty good team too (Andromeda) but the inconsistant writing and some of the "huh, what?" plot points in that universe that spill over onto the characters and ship also mean that I can't give it a heartfelt nomination.

In my heart I'd like to say Captain Kirk beause he was the first great captain of this sort to get massive recognition in pop culture, but I think a lot of things have done it better since. Picard is okay, but I am one of those who always preferred Kirk. "Star Trek" has put out some great shows, with some good casts of characters, but Kirk was the only captain that had me always cheering for him. All of the other ones (Picard, Sisko, Janeway) just never got the same reaction, as all of them went through periods where I actually found them more annoying than anything. At least when Kirk was an arrogant schmuck he made it entertaining
as opposed to me simply wanting them to dump him out the nearest air lock so we could get on with the plot in a more common sense fashion.

The whole "captain and his spaceship" thing is such a trope through so much media that it's really hard to narrow it down to one if your familiar with a lot of material.

While my opinions of Anime are mixed (as I mentioned above) one other one that should probably get Honorable mention even if I'm not a huge fan is "Captain Harlock" and "The Arcadia". I'm not a big fan, but I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentioned him right off the bat with all the anime fans here. One of the longest running, and most spin-off intensive anime universes out there has largely been built around that character.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
AugustFall said:
Captain Picard. No poll :(.
Firefly only in #17 on this sort of thread on the Escapist?.... I thought the Escapist Flora loved that show....

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
Mine has to be a tie between the Normandy and Shepard (Mass Effect) and the Enterprise under kirk (Star trek)
Can we pretend that the Normandy has a holodeck? Because in that case, it's the Normandy...as captained by Picard.

supernovashadow

Apr 2, 2010
I don't know if there will ever be a ship cooler than the Millenium Falcon although honorable mentions go to Serenity and Galactica.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Captain Malcolm Reynolds and the Serenity. I like to think that a captain is only as good as his crew... and Mal has quite the colourful crew working for him.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
Sholto Unwerth, master of the freighter Arethusa. Cookie for anyone who knows what I'm talking about

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
vrbtny said:
AugustFall said:
Firefly only in #17 on this sort of thread on the Escapist?.... the user quality is going down somewhat....
User quality is based on your opinions? I didn't realize.

Star Wars is my favourite sci fi universe but Patrick Stewart is my favourite actor and Jean Luc Picard is not only badass he is well characterized.

The point of this thread is to see others favourites, no need to passively aggressively flame anyone who isn't a super Firefly fan.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
The CAT And Bora Horza Gobuchul.

vrbtny said:
AugustFall said:
Firefly only in #17 on this sort of thread on the Escapist?.... the user quality is going down somewhat....
I love how every character is the same on that show

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Why it have to be Captain Buck O Hare of course! He is a green space rabbit and kick ass!

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
For ship, I'm tempted to go with the so very classic Millennium Falcon or Serenity. One of my favourite space vessels is Cloud 9 from Battlestar but it's not a bad-ass ship so yeah, Falcon/Serenity
As for captain...

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
c_westerman13 said:
Doctor/Type 40 Tardis

/thread
Damn, ninja'd.
But yeah, I mean instantaneous time/space travel plus a captain/pilot who is an insane genius who's favourite meal is fish fingers and custard (in his current regeneration).

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
AugustFall said:
vrbtny said:
AugustFall said:

Star Wars is my favourite sci fi universe but Patrick Stewart is my favourite actor and Jean Luc Picard is not only badass he is well characterized.

The point of this thread is to see others favourites, no need to passively aggressively flame anyone who isn't a super Firefly fan.
Yeah, that was kinda jerkish.... I guess I phrased it wrong. I'm not even that big a fan of Firefly, it just always seems to dominate the Escapist Fora somewhat....

Sorry if it came across as a passive agressive flame, I'll go edit it.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
vrbtny said:
AugustFall said:
vrbtny said:
AugustFall said:

Yeah, that was kinda jerkish.... I guess I phrased it wrong. I'm not even that big a fan of Firefly, it just always seems to dominate the Escapist Fora somewhat....

Sorry if it came across as a passive agressive flame, I'll go edit it.
It's cool man, we've all fallen prey to the ambiguity of meaning in text lol.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Captain John Rourke, hands down. Best machinima ever.

(He's the one on the left. You would.)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Kind of a mix here. I love the In Amber Clad and Miranda Keyes, and the Spirit of Fire and its Captain, Cutter. But then the Gummi Ship and Sora/Donald/Goofy are awesome too. And Shepard and the Normandy. The Doctor and the TARDIS. Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon. There are just too many awesome ones to name, Godsdammit!