Favorite Sci-fi space vessel/captain?

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
monstersquad said:
Aleos Vance said:
monstersquad said:
Sholto Unwerth, master of the freighter Arethusa. Cookie for anyone who knows what I'm talking about
Touche, although I preferred Maxilla. But again, Mal and Serenity
Wow, that's good. Electro-knucks to you. Although for ship's names, you can't really beat the Hinterlight.
Really? Unwerth?? Really??! I've been reading this recently and so far all I've seen him do is get his arse kicked. The Hinterlight was much cooler. In a similar vein, I quite liked the Rubicon from Grey Knights, before it crashed into a planet. I'm learning never to get attached to ships in the 40k verse though.

As for the question, I can't decide between Enterprise D, Daedalus and Serenity and their associated captains, so I'll just say all of them.

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
Ship: Heart of Gold, I mean come on Infinite Improbability Drive.
Captain: Mal Reynolds, not even close.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Bright Noa, captain of the White Base, Argama, Nahel Argama and Ra Calium. The man who became a captain at the age of 19 and who's slaps turn boys into men.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
If HAL isn't good enough, what about the Satellite of Love? What do you say, Joel?

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Im going to go somewhat off the beaten track most people are taking here: Matthew Gideon from the sadly cut-short Babylon 5 spin-off Crusade.

Here's a captain who isn't just a tired old 'maverick' of the trope that's so commonplace it's downright conformist; from what we do get to see he's genuinely a rogue element. He doesn't take for granted that people are out to screw him over; he's quite happy to screw other people over; he'll use any tool or edge to get his way; he doesn't spend long hours moralising or proclaiming how all he does is for some "greater good" that makes him morally superior, he just gets on with the job; he takes stupid risks not because he's some sort of super-lucky superhuman, but because it's fun or he's already planned out the angles. When he catches someone cheating, he doesn't give a sermon on ethics or ideological purity, he plain asks them to teach him how to cheat too! And yet he still hits a lot of the heroic notes you expect in a leading man. I would love to see a character like his developed.

Best ship...? The Magog Worldship from Andromeda. Its a world. In ship form. Full of Magog. People shouldn't be afraid to go big.

Scarim Coral said:
Why it have to be Captain Buck O Hare of course! He is a green space rabbit and kick ass!
I also endorse this message XD

Honourable mention to Captain Sisko from Star Trek: DS9, for being the only 'real' feeling officer in the whole Trek universe. Let's face it, Captain Picard may be a nice guy to run meet-and-greets with alien species, but when they come knocking with the big guns, I want a do-what-it-takes badass standing over me.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Well...

(For the full size comparison chart, go here: http://www.loganotron.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/comparison.gif - all kinds of geek awesome!)

Seriously though it may just be this...

Although my favourite Captain of all time would be him:

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
Sinisterspider said:
Captain Janeway, starship Voyager.
And yes Picard is epic to.
Permission to agree you, M'am! (Though not so much on the Picard statement, sorry.)

Ahh! I'm conflicted ---

Chal said:
If HAL isn't good enough, what about the Satellite of Love? What do you say, Joel?
Though technically the SOL is a satellite. Granted, it's filled with love but still not a ship.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
3AM said:
Sinisterspider said:
Captain Janeway, starship Voyager.
And yes Picard is epic to.
Permission to agree you, M'am! (Though not so much on the Picard statement, sorry.)

Ahh! I'm conflicted ---

Chal said:
Though technically the SOL is a satellite. Granted, it's filled with love but still not a ship.

Good point.

He still counts as an awesome captain, though.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
Chal said:
3AM said:
Chal said:

Good point.

He still counts as an awesome captain, though.
100% agreement on that one. There's always that rocketship that shot him into space.

Juggern4ut20

Aug 31, 2010
I'm going to throw out some more choices that could at least get admiral mention.

The original bad ass ship/station. The death star with Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin at the helm.
"Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

A more comical note would be Captain Turanga Leela and the Planet Express spaceship. Along the same lines, Captain Zapp Brannigan and his Nimbus starship, defeater of the killbots and successful conquoring the pacifists of the Gandhi nebula.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Hmm, favourite Captain would be Mal Reynolds, but I think my favourite ship is the TARDIS.

Now those things don't go together, which leaves me with a problem...

I think on balance it would have to be the TARDIS with the Doctor (Tom Baker version preferably)

Chaos Inverse

Apr 1, 2010
Favorite Ship: Soverien Class - Star Trek (Ex: Enterprise E)
Favorite Captain: Katherine Janeway - Star Trek Voyager

Edit:Normandy MK2 is a close second, but Quantum Torpedoes are just too amazing.