FBI Reportedly Arrests LulzSec Hacker (Or Not)

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I find that example outdated. More like 'You can only taunt the big old dog so much before he tries to gum you to death and pulls hi ship out of place in the process" THAT is what taking on the USA is like.
This message brought to you from Texas so shut the fuck up you overly patriotic imbeciles & funded by the what are you proud of anyways foundation?
Because you being from Texas automatically makes you the authority on American power? No taking on the US is like playing russian roulette with a semi-automatic pistol, it's a stupid idea and your gonna end up dead.
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Maxman3002 said:
Just out of interest, can the FBI arrest these guys if their not American citizens living in America?
That wouldn't be the FBI's jurisdiction, but they would give the info to the CIA to deal with it.
Personally I'd rather have the FBI knocking at my door rather than the CIA.

OT: That guy is so boned, and this should be a sign to LulzSec that the FBI isn't going to take this shit lying down.
Cause we proved we have no issue with invading a country supposedly to get one guy.
Not sure what you are talking about here Iraq? Afghanistan? cause neither of those were to get one guy. Iraq was to topple Saddam's totalitarian regime and to ensure that the country did not have WMD's. Afghanistan was in retaliation to the 911 terrorist attacks in an attempt to remove Al Qaeda from the area and to aid the Afghan freedom fighters in the removal of the Taliban from power. Or did you mean Pakistan? In which case we never invade we sent in a team to preform the targeted killing of an enemy combatant.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
I find that example outdated. More like 'You can only taunt the big old dog so much before he tries to gum you to death and pulls hi ship out of place in the process" THAT is what taking on the USA is like.
This message brought to you from Texas so shut the fuck up you overly patriotic imbeciles & funded by the what are you proud of anyways foundation?
Awesome, friended.

Seriously I hope these kids (and they are kids) prove once and for all how utterly incompetent our government and corporate institutions are. Yet these same institutions claim the right to rule over and control us ordinary citizens "for our own good" and mercilessly punish anyone who doesn't toe the line.

As far as I'm concernt Lulzsec =

[image src="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsOuc00tBwKtM8SUR6f4uERCMECJDmLWmCiImlmneZ4VcYQAtnEA"]
How are they incompetent? An even better question how do they "rule over and control us ordinary citizens"?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Man, LulzSec is really starting to make me angry/paranoid. They are hackers with massively idiotic egos...who are also really good at doing what they do: ruining people's lives by leaking their personal information. At least Anonymous has some decency to hack for some sort of noteworthy cause.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I find myself having a hard time caring about these nubs. I really, really do.
They seem like Anonymous posers, but with everything 'good' taken away.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
JordanMillward_1 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Maxman3002 said:
Just out of interest, can the FBI arrest these guys if their not American citizens living in America?

If they were a bunch of Chinese tech wizz's for example then wouldnt they need to go through politial and legal channels for ages?

O.P: Lulzsec seem to be annoying a lot of big companies and theres no way this can end well, theres only 2 outcomes really

1. Lulzsec get found and arrested eventually
or 2. Lulzsec distroy the internet

It doesnt look like their going to stop untill either they or the internet are gone
Hacking is considered an act of war, so the military would go after them if they were in a different country
Haha!

Wait, you were serious?

No, hacking is only an "act of war" if it is carried out and organised by another country. If LulzSec are private individuals, and they are, America can't do jack shit without going through all the required legal and political channels in order to take them to court and/or get them extradited to the US.

If they are outside the US, and they can't track them down or positively identify them, there's nothing the US can do about it - they might think they're world police and their laws apply to everyone (like the times US companies sent Pirate Bay (who were/are in Sweden) cease and desist letters stating they were breaking US law... which doesn't apply to them, because they're not American, or in America), but that's not how the world works.
What they were doing before wouldn't be an act of war but attacking a government affiliated website could be. Especially because this hacking issue is becoming a big thing NATO might intervene

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
FaithorFire said:
Maxman3002 said:
there's only 2 outcomes really

or 2. Lulzsec destroy the internet

It doesn't look like their going to stop until either they or the internet are gone
This is the real threat that many are ignoring. The legislative response to this garbage will be internet regulation and control to the point of internet death. The people cheering Lulzsec or Anonymous on really need to account for the ultimate consequences of these hacks.
At this point I am ready to welcome some legislation. Hell if they bring a vote that requires people to us say their social security number to log into the internet, at this point in time, I would probably vote yes

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
What they were doing before wouldn't be an act of war but attacking a government affiliated website could be. Especially because this hacking issue is becoming a big thing NATO might intervene
If the individuals work independantly and without the knowledge of the country they are located in then it cant be an act of war.

I live in the UK and id like to think that if Lulzsec turned out to be located somewhere in here America wouldnt consider us as having declared war on them. Equally im sure if the hackers turned out to be located somewhere within Russia it wouldnt go down well for America to go around suggesting they had performed an act of war against them

It gets ignored in little countries like Iraq and Iran but if America starts sending troops into places like Europe or Russia to stop a sect of people that are attacking it im sure it wouldnt go down well

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
FaithorFire said:
Maxman3002 said:
there's only 2 outcomes really

or 2. Lulzsec destroy the internet

It doesn't look like their going to stop until either they or the internet are gone
This is the real threat that many are ignoring. The legislative response to this garbage will be internet regulation and control to the point of internet death. The people cheering Lulzsec or Anonymous on really need to account for the ultimate consequences of these hacks.
At this point I am ready to welcome some legislation. Hell if they bring a vote that requires people to us say their social security number to log into the internet, at this point in time, I would probably vote yes
How do you regulate the internet? Its a worldwide network that crosses hundreds of boarders and laws. The most that could happen untill we have a united world is that countries could prevent access to hubs within their boarders to outside countries. All that would do though is reduce the market and annoy other countries and people who rely on said country to host sites for them.

An internet legislation would require every country to sign up to it and we know that its near impossible to do that. The "Convention on the Rights of the Child" is signed by nearly every country in the world. Still waiting on Somalia and the USA to sign up to it though...

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
If these guys aren't in liberal democracies with traditions of civil disobedience, man, they're dumber than I thought.

The Chinese government isn't going to look at a hacking group focused on online privacy and think "Yeah, these guys have a point." That's not a country with a whole lot of patience for political activism.

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
Yal said:
If these guys aren't in liberal democracies with traditions of civil disobedience, man, they're dumber than I thought.

The Chinese government isn't going to look at a hacking group focused on online privacy and think "Yeah, these guys have a point." That's not a country with a whole lot of patience for political activism.
Lol yea they probably wouldnt do too well in china, but I used that as an example of a country that wouldnt go out of its way to assist a US investigation and certainatly wouldnt be to happy about a bunch of FBI agents walking in and arresting a citizen

Everyone seems to assume that Lulzsec is American and that the FBI will be all over them like a rash, I thought it was the World Wide Web?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Trifixion said:
Apropos punishment for hackers:

1. Bring them into an interrogation room.

2. Tie them to a chair.

3. Smash one of their kneecaps with a sledgehammer.

4. When they scream in pain as a result of being smashed in the kneecap with a sledgehammer, say to them, "Hey, don't blame me, I'm just proving a point about how vulnerable the human knees are."

5. Repeat step 4 with varying body part targets until no longer funny. This may take a while.
This was brilliant, I laughed and agreed.

OT: As others have stated, would they openly admit one of them was captured? I was skeptical when they said they used an SQL injection deal on Sony and it worked. Yeah, lets all take the word of unethical jackass hackers. That always works out and they never lie.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Maxman3002 said:

If they were a bunch of Chinese tech wizz's for example then wouldnt they need to go through politial and legal channels for ages?

O.P: Lulzsec seem to be annoying a lot of big companies and theres no way this can end well, theres only 2 outcomes really

or 2. Lulzsec distroy the internet

It doesnt look like their going to stop untill either they or the internet are gone
The FBI? Not really, but that doesn't mean the FBI would be the ones pulling the trigger once they're outed. MI5 for instance would have jurisdiction over British members of Lulzec, and their actions are in violation of the Computer Misuse act. Similar laws exist in most of the first world, and these people aren't coming out of the third world to hack.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
You don't kill a hydra by cutting of heads and limbs. You isolate it and starve it. They're just going to keep denying that people belong to Teh Lulz. Find a way to make people lose faith in them so they can't recruit anymore. Cut off their resources and tools where you can; use hackers if need be. Gung ho, kicking down doors, and slapping cuffs only works if there's less than a hundred members that run it, let alone thousands. If this is the best a law enforcement org can do, expect a very protracted and expensive lesson in cyber warfare. And this is assuming you can{/I] legally do anything to them (as stated above).

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Damn why the hate for America? seeming a bit Xenophobic if anything

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
JordanMillward_1 said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Seriously I hope these kids (and they are kids) prove once and for all how utterly incompetent our government and corporate institutions are. Yet these same institutions claim the right to rule over and control us ordinary citizens "for our own good" and mercilessly punish anyone who doesn't toe the line.

As far as I'm concernt Lulzsec =

[image src="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsOuc00tBwKtM8SUR6f4uERCMECJDmLWmCiImlmneZ4VcYQAtnEA"]
This, several times this. Corporations, not just in the US, but over here in Europe too (though to a lesser extent - yay better commercial/corporate law!), think they can get away with anything, and treat all of us like dirt, and as Sony have shown, expect people to trust them with their bank details, addresses, etc, when they have done nothing to earn that trust.

Anonymous, LulzSec, and other hackers are just teaching these corporations their place, and that is beneath that of the citizens. It should be us that influence the companies, not them that dominate us.

Keep up the good work LulzSec, you're doing a fine job.
Either way a Crime is a crime and is punishable by any other name. Lulzsec deserves what it gets because they honestly are nothing but a bunch of spoiled imbeciles getting their kicks by messing with corporations.
It's not their place to take such action and by no means is it justifiable

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Adventurer2626 said:
You don't kill a hydra by cutting of heads and limbs. You isolate it and starve it.
No, in the legend, you cut off a head and cauterize the stump before it can grow new ones. Sorry, you bjorked up your metaphor, and that kinda killed your argument for me.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
you know that the funny thing is; they're trying to eliminate Sony from the economy. This would stage a problem for two reasons:

1. Sony extends farther than SCE, they have Televisions, Audio, Computers, you name it. Sony even has medical equipment in it's possesion. If they want to eliminate Sony they're going to have to pretty much bomb every factory and office Sony owns.

2. The Economy is a fickle beast with a very fragile equilibrium. If one company is completely erased from the world market that equilibrium is changed, and we're plunged into the 1930's again.

So anyway in conclusion class we have learned that these guys are morons. Now next class we wil be learning about how Michael Jackson is still alive and enjoying beers with Osama under the earth's crust, Remember! test Thursday!

Kyoh

Oct 12, 2010
I hope the Lulzboat sinks with everyone on board. I want them to be awake when the horror begins as they realize the idiotic foundations on which they built their pointless craft capsizes, and as the water begins to flood their chambers I want to know that they scurried for the exits like the rats they are, only to find none as their ship had so completely collapsed on itself to seal the exits, and that the bitter tears they shed upon learning of their doom hastens their deaths, that in their final moments, with their noses pressed to the last pocket of air, they confess their homo-erotic love for one another that they've denied for so long.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Trifixion said:
Apropos punishment for hackers:

1. Bring them into an interrogation room.

2. Tie them to a chair.

3. Smash one of their kneecaps with a sledgehammer.

4. When they scream in pain as a result of being smashed in the kneecap with a sledgehammer, say to them, "Hey, don't blame me, I'm just proving a point about how vulnerable the human knees are."

5. Repeat step 4 with varying body part targets until no longer funny. This may take a while.
Hehehehe I find this quite funny and an awesome method :D

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, jeez, who ya gonna believe, the hacker group or the Feds?

Is there a third option...?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
When I heard "Cavanaugh", took me a moment to figure out why I knew that name. Fortunately, I was thinking of Terry Cavanaugh of VVVVVV. Whew. Different first names.

These guys make me sick. Sony, I can understand, but they went after Nintendo for no reason other than "practice". That's like breaking into a perfectly innocent person's house in preparation for breaking into and trashing the douchebag's house down the street. I hope these people go down. I don't care if they're trying to teach a lesson. Attacking Nintendo for no good reason just crosses the line.