Features shooters desperately need.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Well the one second death is a big part of MMS, making sure everyone just dies when sprayed down for the ultimate casual effect.
Yes, dying when shot is such a casual concept.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Sack of Cheese said:
Dragons!! I want a shooter where we hunt down mythical creatures like Chimera, drakes, dragons, blah blah...
There is such a game. It's called "Legendary" and it's horrible.

I can't really think of anything, thats probably because i was satisfied with what UT, Half-Life 2 had to offer. I would rather get rid of some features like cutscenes and quicktime events. I just recently finished FC3 and the final boss fight if you can call it that was simply pathetic, suddenly all of the environments were gone and the guy started ranting, then i died while watching it, apparently i had to click a button to win.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Squilookle said:
Mother-flippin' BOTS.

Every shooter should have bots. Bar none. No excuses. Even if the online multiplayer never takes off, or dies in 6 months... if your game has bots then your multiplayer/instant action/challenge modes will never go to waste, and can live forever.
[HEADING=1]Yes.[/HEADING] I still play Perfect Dark. On the N64. Bots are the best thing ever to happen to video games. More shooters need bots. I don't know how many times I was playing a shooter with just one friend and we wanted to be on the same team, but couldn't because there weren't bots.

m19 said:
Can't say I agree with that. Being able to turn around fast and precise is a test of your skill. The game should not do this (or dodge for that matter) for you.

Also the sniper in BF3 is not easy to play effectively. Assault is by far the most efficient class for infantry combat.
I completely agree. A game shouldn't hold your hand when it comes to things that should take skill. Plus, dodges always piss me off, no matter what kind of game they're in.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SkarKrow said:
SMG's are poinltess in COD? Really!? Because I played Blops 2 and they seemed to be the most frustrating thing to deal with. That and the snipers in blops 2.
SMGs got a blanket nerf a week or two ago, with some being nerfed even further than that. Assault Rifles got minor recoil nerfs, but also accuracy buffs so they're better at long range with controlled bursts. Also, some handguns and the basic Shotgun were nerfed.

No Executioner buff though, which is really sad because it REALLY needs buffs.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Lets see here...

People complaining about regenerating health? Check.

People complaining about realism? Check.

People complaining about aiming down sights? Check. (Seriously, I have no idea what the big issue is)

People talking about how shooters and games are "dumbed down"? Check.

People using that obnoxious term coined by Yahtzee? Check.

I guess the only thing I can say that contributes to this thread would be to have a shooter like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System again. That game was fun.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos said:
Also instead of making shooters ultra-realistic or ultra-unrealistic...
Why not both?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
SkarKrow said:
SMG's are poinltess in COD? Really!? Because I played Blops 2 and they seemed to be the most frustrating thing to deal with. That and the snipers in blops 2.
SMGs got a blanket nerf a week or two ago, with some being nerfed even further than that. Assault Rifles got minor recoil nerfs, but also accuracy buffs so they're better at long range with controlled bursts. Also, some handguns and the basic Shotgun were nerfed.

No Executioner buff though, which is really sad because it REALLY needs buffs.
Ehhhh I still can't be bothered with it's run and gun shenanigins online. Fun split-screen with bots though, and campaign was really good too.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
OniaPL said:
Just make more Vanquish.

The world needs more Vanquish.
Argh, my to-play list just got a +1... Totally forgot about this game!

Also:
Xcell935 said:
-I wanna hold weapons, not one, especially not 2, I need. more. guns.
The first thing that came to my mind was "more guns, more diversity in guns".
Then I dug up Turok and Turok 2 and started playing them again.
Now that I'm back, I realized that those two games have something I rarely see in modern shooters:
When you turn around, your vision doesn't just turn like it was mounted on a tripod. You actually sway a little, tilting your FoV to the side as you turn. I find myself way deeper immersed in these games because of this little feature.

On a side note, I think it's time to look how much StarForge[footnote]I guess it could be described as Minecraft (or Tekkit) meets Aliens meets Hero Defense.
What is StarForge?

StarForge is a game about gathering resources, building bases, crafting anything you want, and surviving on an alien planet.[...]

StarForge was inspired by Halo, Warcraft 3, Borderlands, Terraria, and Minecraft. It borrows elements from the RTS, FPS, RPG, Voxel Builder, Tower Defense, and Physics Sandbox genres.
[/footnote] has progressed since I last played it.

Edit: Woot, I just found out that it has been greenlit on Steam. And now it has more weapons. Gloriously ridiculous weapons. Ridiculously glorious weapons.

I have no idea how to insert a timecode to end a video at a certain time, so feel free to press pause whenever you like :p
Edit: Turns out, I also had the wrong idea of how to insert the timecode for starting the video at a certain time into the [youtube] tag... So, the part I wanted to show you starts at 1:46
Edit2: aparrently it's "&start=xxx", not "&time=xxx"

I want to play this game, NAO!

So yes, shooters definitely need more weapons nowadays.

Jun 11, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Don't cough Resistance 3 at me I played the daylights out of that game and often parade it around as a shining beacon of it's genre and platform.

Well you didn't mention Resistance 3, so I thought you were one of those insufferable people who think that Fall of Man was the high point of the Resistance series, presumably because they're more afraid of change than the Republican party.

Anywho, what I meant by my comments on SMGs and the like is that they're pointless from a design standpoint, not that they aren't effective in the game. SMGs and assault rifles are both fully automatic guns that fire at similar rates and take about the same time to reload, with the only significant difference being that SMGs are less accurate and worse at range. At that point, the game isn't being designed as a game so much as a simulation of reality, yet it still takes far too many liberties to be considered as anything but fiction.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Also, voice menus, especially in console games. It allows you to do a lot with the flavour of the world and/or character models/character classes, and it lets people actually communicate with one another.

The Sanctifier said:
Something That I think would be really cool is a first person shooter which also lets you build your own base of operations.

IT could be a little like Minecraft where you place down blocks and such to make your own fortifications, and while you'd get points for shooting the enemy, you'd get even more for coming up with elaborate traps to kill them.
From what I've seen of it, Natural Selection 2 sort of has that. One person acts as commander, playing the game as an RTS-type deal, where the other players on your team are the units. You can set rally points, put down structures which players can help build faster, that sort of thing.

Xcell935 said:
-Shooters with beautiful and engaging settings/environments... sooooo more Bioshock/ Bioshock Infinite games!
-I wanna hold weapons, not one, especially not 2, I need. more. guns.
-More tactical focused multiplayer that, revolves around clever thinking, teamwork, and reward for using these smarts and whatever you have at your disposal... instead of the multiplayer we actually have...
aaaaaaand-
Jetpacks aka screw realism. Its for the weak.
Resistance 3 actually had some starkly beautiful locations (New York with snow drifts ten metres tall, or a quaint little village in the Scottish highlands) for its multiplayer, and it encouraged people to think more the better they did. You'd start out with one or two weapons, for instance, and whenever you killed somebody, you'd be able to pick up what they were holding. You could begin life as a run-and-gun shotgunner and end up with an electric flamethrower, an ice flamethrower, a gun that shot disease and a machine gun capable of shooting around corners.

The Uncharted games, though curtailing the number of guns you could carry, also encouraged this arcade-y style of play since pretty much every gun in the game would spawn on a map at one point or another, and players could climb all over buildings and whatnot. The maps were beautiful and well-designed, too, and not many shooters let you play in frickin' Shangri-La.
Yeah I've played Uncharted and yes the locals in all 3 games are beautiful and colorful. And my want for guns was a bit vague, so let me re-itterate:
I want to hold more then 2 guns.
I want realism thrown out the window so I can decide wether the spider shooting machine gun or the child launching rocket launcher is right for the situation or I can pick one of the other creative guns in my inventory of lets say 8 guns. All in a backpack, because I really miss the Doom days.

Captain_Dreadmor

Nov 7, 2012
The Sanctifier said:
Something That I think would be really cool is a first person shooter which also lets you build your own base of operations.

IT could be a little like Minecraft where you place down blocks and such to make your own fortifications, and while you'd get points for shooting the enemy, you'd get even more for coming up with elaborate traps to kill them.
so like a more advanced ace of spades? well it might be at this stage now i just played during its beta which was free

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Sack of Cheese said:
Dragons!! I want a shooter where we hunt down mythical creatures like Chimera, drakes, dragons, blah blah...
Well, there's always Legendary. Has griffins and werewolves at least... Though I didn't get very far since it wasn't very fun to play.

OT: Eh, got nothing else to contribute with.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Squilookle said:
Mother-flippin' BOTS.

Every shooter should have bots. Bar none. No excuses. Even if the online multiplayer never takes off, or dies in 6 months... if your game has bots then your multiplayer/instant action/challenge modes will never go to waste, and can live forever.
I played the original Unreal Tournament for years in bots-only mode. I still remember facing off against Xan-Krieger many a time in the twin space cathedral level.

As for my personal rec's:

- different ammo powers. Give me the Incendiary/Freeze/High-Explosive ammo (a la Mass Effect) for all my weapons, or even better, give me a Judge Dredd-style handgun with multiple ammo types in limited quantities.

- dual-wielding. More games should have it as a feature.

- a greater degree of floatiness. I love Tribes, but it's the exception to the rule. I'd love a Battlefield/CoD with physics that allow for insane jumpshots and trick kills based off leaping off tall buildings and surviving.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
TK421 said:
Squilookle said:
Mother-flippin' BOTS.

[HEADING=1]Yes.[/HEADING] I still play Perfect Dark. On the N64. Bots are the best thing ever to happen to video games. More shooters need bots. I don't know how many times I was playing a shooter with just one friend and we wanted to be on the same team, but couldn't because there weren't bots.
Same here. It's also the only console game I've ever played where I was able to set up a match in such a way that the bots all duked it out for supremacy in one area and I could sit on high watching them. Combine that with the ability to change team names to friends and/or family, and you have a custom game setup that simply NEVER gets old!

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
Captain_Dreadmor said:
The Sanctifier said:

so like a more advanced ace of spades? well it might be at this stage now i just played during its beta which was free
Yeah something like that, but where you can place down individual blocks. Funny thing is that just after making my first post on this thread I came across that game on steam. Its pretty fun, but the commando class seems a tad overpowered, though that could just be because I find myself to be a lot better at the jumping around type shooters like Quake III rather then the ones like CoD.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jacco said:
I also decided there needs to be an about-face button. If someone is shooting at you from behind, you should be able to flip around and shoot back instead of taking the time to turn.
I have some Playstation games with about-face buttons (third-person shooters, in fact) which I have found a terrible hindrance, in that it's very easy to press the wrong moment in a heated situation and... Oh, hello scenery behind me! I see you're getting colored by the blood spray coming out of my body! Well, I screwed that one up!

OT: For FPS's, how's about getting to see where your feet are when you look down? Doesn't matter for Fallout because you have the third-person view as well, but anything else and you're screwed for that.