Features shooters desperately need.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Has anyone mentioned Action Half-Life? With all the wall running, kung fu and Max Payne style shootdodging?

Personally I thought it was a confused mess, but I had a shitty internet connection at the time and am plauged by lag so maybe it was really okay? Could probably do with comment from someone else on it.

I would say that I like to be able to look down in an FPS and see my body. Whether it's a Serious Sam style romp or a serious modern (or classic) violence simulater; being able to see my torso & limbs helps the immersion.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Aaron Foltz said:
Sorry, I have to add my 2 cents. Brothers in Arms: Hell Highway was good. Only allowed to carry 2 guns, tactical (to a point), and slower paced. I'm sure there are things that would have made that game better but enjoyed none the less.
You sir, are perfectly correct.
In my opinion what shooters need is squad tactics that are simple and intuitive, Brothers in Arms made a system that worked and was fun with a tenth of the needless complexity of GROW2.
Gearbox should make another one.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The Sanctifier said:
Captain_Dreadmor said:
The Sanctifier said:
Something That I think would be really cool is a first person shooter which also lets you build your own base of operations.

IT could be a little like Minecraft where you place down blocks and such to make your own fortifications, and while you'd get points for shooting the enemy, you'd get even more for coming up with elaborate traps to kill them.
so like a more advanced ace of spades? well it might be at this stage now i just played during its beta which was free
Yeah something like that, but where you can place down individual blocks. Funny thing is that just after making my first post on this thread I came across that game on steam. Its pretty fun, but the commando class seems a tad overpowered, though that could just be because I find myself to be a lot better at the jumping around type shooters like Quake III rather then the ones like CoD.
Dude- you should have seen it back in it's prime- it was pure distilled awesome back then:

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Shooters don't necessarily need more realism but they do need more depth. If you take the time to sneak up on someone then you absolutely should be able to kill them. Nothing pisses me off more than putting the time and effort into sneaking out of a surrounded compound in Planetside 2, flanking the enemy, and then dying before I kill more than one or two people(and that's with grenades) because two guys can subtract my health points faster than I can subtract theirs. This kind of system might give the new or bad player an advantage but at the expense of overly simplistic gameplay later on. You can learn the basics of survival in one or two rounds, after that nothing you can do or learn will ever make the game better. Instead, every player is funnelled into the same encounter every time, eliminating the need to think or try novel tactics or explore or exercise caution. Perpetual sameness. What fun!

A good start would be to change the way we handle damage models. Rather than forcing everyone to aim at the head, individual hit boxes for vital organs and limbs, and even their weapon, each attached to different consequences, would instantly add variety to every battle. If you could clip someone in the femoral artery as they ran behind cover they could still attack you but would soon bleed out, giving them a chance to respond and you a last ditch effort to kill them. A player with a gut shot could suffer some other effect while adding a reason for them to stumble over to the nearest medic. Limb shots could be employed in similar fashion while preventing you from raising a long-gun and aiming down your iron sights. Head shots could kill, heart and lung shots could let you keep running a little longer, only to slump over 10, 15 feet from where you'd been standing when you were hit, with maybe enough time to drop a grenade at your feet.

I don't like Call of Duty but there is one mechanic I like, that perk that allows you to continue fighting for a moment after you've been mortally wounded. Imagine how much more cautious you'd have to be if you had to creep around corners and cover obstacles to ensure the man you just shot actually went down rather than seeing your score pop up and a perfectly safe body lying there every time. Situational awareness would become almost as important as twitching.

We need to get rid of the boxes and hallways that dominate level design. The map should be more than simply the space in which the game happens. Providing multiple routes to a single area would allow you to sneak up on enemies or hide from ones who are hunting you. They would allow you to escape from surrounded spawns or bases to liberate your buddies. Getting slaughtered every time you run straight down the hallway into the enemy's base? Hang a right and slip past, then give some back or continue on to the objective.

Having said that, I do miss some of the oldschool Quake/UT style shoots. Arcade games have their place, too. Unfortunately, they've gone the way of realism, with every new game that has anything even resembling a gun homogenized into the same awkward, boring mixture of realism and unrealism, with titles losing their identity and what made them fun along the way.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
SkarKrow said:
Don't cough Resistance 3 at me I played the daylights out of that game and often parade it around as a shining beacon of it's genre and platform.

SMG's are poinltess in COD? Really!? Because I played Blops 2 and they seemed to be the most frustrating thing to deal with. That and the snipers in blops 2.
Well you didn't mention Resistance 3, so I thought you were one of those insufferable people who think that Fall of Man was the high point of the Resistance series, presumably because they're more afraid of change than the Republican party.

Anywho, what I meant by my comments on SMGs and the like is that they're pointless from a design standpoint, not that they aren't effective in the game. SMGs and assault rifles are both fully automatic guns that fire at similar rates and take about the same time to reload, with the only significant difference being that SMGs are less accurate and worse at range. At that point, the game isn't being designed as a game so much as a simulation of reality, yet it still takes far too many liberties to be considered as anything but fiction.
Oh goodness know Resistance 3 is absolutely magnificent(sooooo much great content on that disc, also GRIMMS!), I just focused on the first because the health system was relevant to the conversation. 2 is a low point in the series for me and I haven't played the handheld versions.

Well I see your point and that's why I generally don't use them, for example in BF I see no reason at all to use them on any class, when the class weapons have less recoil and hit harder in almost every case. However in CoD they do have hiddenish factors like mobility, sway, movement speed, movement while aimed, time to aim, etc. That's why SMG's are generally better in COD, they let you move fast, turn faster, aim faster, and lose accuracy from the hip slower in exchange for some range. Range being a non-existant thing in CoD Blops 2 with it's tiny maps built for mountain dew charged teenagers.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Let's see:

Get rid of regenerating health. If you're getting stuck with low health in the same area, revise your strategy and try again. If you REALLY want regenerating HP, do like Condemned 2 did. You have 3-4 segments of HP, and the last one that is partially full will refill over time.

Let me carry more than 2 weapons. I hate being stuck with one weapon, cause I'm carrying a rocket launcher that I'm saving for a specific point. I know it's for realism and balance, but it's a video game, you can be a little lenient with the realism. And balance? Leave that for the multiplayer. (Yes, I know single player needs balance too, but there are more ways than limiting how many weapons you can carry).

Also, while I would not like every shooter to be like this, I would like to see more made in the same vein as Quake's Multiplayer. Fast paced, arcadey fun.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
The Sanctifier said:
Yeah something like that, but where you can place down individual blocks. Funny thing is that just after making my first post on this thread I came across that game on steam. Its pretty fun, but the commando class seems a tad overpowered, though that could just be because I find myself to be a lot better at the jumping around type shooters like Quake III rather then the ones like CoD.
You should definitely take a closer look at StarForge then. It's in early alpha right now, the video I posted earlier[footnote]here it is
[/footnote] is from a build that will be released sometime around christmas. I think they want to release the game in a year or so.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
- Bots
- Theater Mode
- Enhanced movement speeds (for shooters that aren't going for the "realistic" approach)

Bots are required because most online shooters get swallowed up by the next Battlefield, Call of Duty or Halo, and bots allow people late to the party to still enjoy the game when otherwise they would spend half an hour waiting for people to join a lobby.

Theater Mode because the ability to record clips of action is great for sharing with friends and perhaps even an aid for Machinima film directors.

Enhanced movement speeds because the arcade-type shooters feel fast paced, especially when the guns are almost always a one-hit-kill, but movement is usually slow. I went from playing Halo 4 for a month and went back to Black Ops to get a refresher before buying Black Ops 2 and found that I just couldn't handle the excruciatingly slow pace to the movement. To make matters worse, I have been training myself for higher aiming sensitivities and rapidly jumped from the 5-6 range all the way up to the 9-10 range. So now the ordinarily slow movement is being exasperated by the fact that I can spin in a full 360 before taking two steps forward. If kind of feels like a platforming game that has slick surfaces when I try to turn.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Jacco said:
True dat. Who wants realism in their entertainment? The real world is harsh, cruel and no fun at all. If you want a 'realistic' shooter so much, why are you playing a video game instead of joining the army?
Does the vast stupidity of this post bother you? No, it doesn't because it's such a common stupidity.

Who wants blood and guns and all that nasty real world stuff in a game anyways? Why don't you play Mario instead? At the very least you should get rid of that stupid realistic 'reloading' feature, because clearly shooting bullets is more fun than not shooting bullets, and why should we have to get interrupted all the time when we're shooting bullets?

Pretty much everything STALKER did right. Item-based RPG elements and actual ballistics, you know, treat a bullet like an actual projectile and not a magical ray.
Best to cite ArmA (or even BF3) for this. SOC had atrocious ballistics until you modded it. RPG-style ballistics with the bullets disappearing at range and no dust puffs half the time so you couldn't tell where stuff was going.

Altercator

Jan 15, 2008
How about no QTEs in boss fights anymore?

Who here miss shooting down gigantic bosses in their weak spots, before going in for the kill?

Levels:
No more strict linearity. There's nothing wrong with linear, but at the same time please allow players chance to take on enemies & obstacles in their own special way.

They should take examples from Bioshock, Crysis & Battlefield Bad Company 1, where each level is broken down into small sandbox arenas for players to toy around, be it with guns blazing, or stealth killing or both.

If devs insist on linearity, they should take an example from a racing games like Midnight Club. Where in a racing event, the track is broken into checkpoints, the shooting "track" is broken into small mission objectives, and between these objectives, there are multiple shortcuts, secret paths & open-ends that should allow players for different tactics. At the same time, devs won't have to sacrifice "storytelling" in these shooters.

If that works in Bioshock & Crysis, why not more devs adopt these?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
maturin said:
Jacco said:
True dat. Who wants realism in their entertainment? The real world is harsh, cruel and no fun at all. If you want a 'realistic' shooter so much, why are you playing a video game instead of joining the army?
Does the vast stupidity of this post bother you? No, it doesn't because it's such a common stupidity.

Who wants blood and guns and all that nasty real world stuff in a game anyways? Why don't you play Mario instead? At the very least you should get rid of that stupid realistic 'reloading' feature, because clearly shooting bullets is more fun than not shooting bullets, and why should we have to get interrupted all the time when we're shooting bullets?

Pretty much everything STALKER did right. Item-based RPG elements and actual ballistics, you know, treat a bullet like an actual projectile and not a magical ray.
Best to cite ArmA (or even BF3) for this. SOC had atrocious ballistics until you modded it. RPG-style ballistics with the bullets disappearing at range and no dust puffs half the time so you couldn't tell where stuff was going.
I dont have a clue what you're talking about. I didn't say any of that at all.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Jacco said:
I dont have a clue what you're talking about. I didn't say any of that at all.
You're right, sorry. Clearly I meant to quote the person who actually said that, but the Escapist has an awful layout where the Edit and Quote buttons are thinly separated from adjacent posts by a tiny line instead of clearly adhering to one or the other.