Feds Using Seized Domains to Promote Anti-Piracy PSA

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Snotnarok said:
How about you show the video game industry that it's supporters don't like DRM and being lied to about what is included with game systems.
don't forget a complete game that is actually broken down into 16 pieces of DLC and completely glitched and broken to hell that they expect for us to pay full price for.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
Andronicus said:
If you want some real food for thought, consider the IT Crowd's perspective on piracy. Perhaps this'll be able to shine some new light on the subject.

I never saw the IT Crowd before. This is amazing, Thank you for showing me an amazing show, i started watching them on netflix... they are great!

OT: These videos seem a tad bit extreme. I half expected him to say " There are little children starving because you are pirates!"The video was really hard to take seriously it felt like a parody.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Scott Bullock said:
aashell13 said:
Scott Bullock said:
Now maybe this is just me, but the repurposing of websites that were seized using a method deemed dubiously legal at best to pimp a video seems downright inappropriate. While Homeland Security surely has the right to do with the sites what it will, that's just bad PR.
This doesn't make sense. Does ICE have the right to do as they please with seized domains or not? First you call the legality of the seizure into doubt and in the very next sentence say that Homeland Security can do whatever they want.

OT: I'm ambivalent about piracy. One the one hand it is theft, after a fashion; on the other hand the content providers bring a lot of it on themselves with various anti-customer policies which drive people to piracy for reasons that have little or nothing to do with wanting a free movie.
If they had seized the sites in such a manner that people weren't calling out the legality of the seizures themselves left and right, then using the sites for their own devices wouldn't seem so... off-putting. To me, at least. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't care, but they shouldn't really be flaunting something they obtained in such a questionable manner.
Basically, ^this^.

OT: What Scott said along with the added:
Why can't they ever make any legitimately good Anti-Piracy ads? XD
I know people that pirate because of them being so shite. :L

EDIT:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I got a good psa for you:

This. thisthisthisthisthis.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
008Zulu said:
Centrophy said:
What's inappropriate is ICE (a government agency) being an arm of the MPAA (a group made up of private companies.) :)
The whole government is an arm of the content mafiaa.
How is that inappropriate? Government agencies protect property rights. Police bust shoplifters, courts enforce copyright claims, the only real difference is that in this case the internet characterizes one as the big bad evil monster thats standing in the way of free art.

Honestly I don't really see people like the MPAA as that greedy, at least not compared to the people who download movies and games. I mean, what's greedier than thinking that you have an inalienable entitlement to any amount of luxury items that you want at no charge?

And, as for the "copying is not theft" video and argument...pretty stupid. I mean, really stupid. Basically completely missing the point of everything. Piracy isn't a form of larceny, so saying its not theft is like saying its not murder. Technically true but pointlessly oblivious. If you snuck onto a train without buying a ticket that would not be theft either, but that is still breaking a law. And you can't do it for the obvious reason that if that was possible then running a train would be an impossible business to sustain and would shut down.
If you really, really believe that IP law is a shambles (which, strangely, nobody seemed to say until the internet made large scale piracy easily accessible) then say that. But saying "Copying is not Theft" just makes you look like you have no understanding of the actual issue.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
She loses her job? Her job as what? A paid actress for this PSA? If it weren't for piracy she wouldn't even HAVE this job.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
people that make movies are being payed to play their part, if you download a movie the only people that are going to lose money are the licenser's (excluding direct to DVD movies).
Unless I suck at this stuff Piracy isn't going to harm anyone (with the exception of games where 100% there is no alternative to theater movies)
Besides people who pirate don,t watch this stuff making this completely useless.
PS
why would they post it on sites that have been taken down?
I would asume these site,s where probaly abandoned a long time ago due to the removal of pirated content.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
What annoys me is that the seizure occurred under the auspices of Homeland Security, a branch of the government whose domain and powers seem ever increasingly and disturbingly vague.

What they do with the domains after the quasi-legal seizure is pretty much gravy.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
soo.... to show how much money they lose because of piracy, they are spending money on this kind of stunts? because im pretty sure that if they wouldnt spend money on this, that woman wouldnt have to lose her job one way or another. me see no logic here....

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Snotnarok said:
How about you show the video game industry that it's supporters don't like DRM and being lied to about what is included with game systems.
don't forget a complete game that is actually broken down into 16 pieces of DLC and completely glitched and broken to hell that they expect for us to pay full price for.
Sorry I can't hear you over the game I paid for, but can't play because I'm out of installs. Which I guess is fine because I have these here other games these cartridges that don't have limited playing.

Or the copy of Black Ops I couldn't play for 5 months because they listed Dual Core as supported, and it wasn't and I had to wait for a patch.

Or for Borderlands which took ...what 3-4 months to get the online working?

Or the people who bought Capcom games on the PSN, but can't play because the PSN is down.

I dunno, I find it hard to weep for the actress portrayed as a microphone worker in the video as well as the actor playing the consumer jerk in the video when they're not real and representing companies that even with crazy pirating still make insane amounts of money that mostly go to the billionaire CEOs anyway.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
So what they're saying is "For every movie pirated a person working with sound looses their job"

Makes sense.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Wahahahhahahahhaa. That video is just hilarious, reminds me of the South Park episode on piracy :D

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I don't see why the OP has such a problem with this. I'm against piracy, and this seems like a reasonably interesting way of fighting it, although I doubt that it'll be all that effective.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jumplion said:
What makes this even more hilarious is that the "no soul" guy would have had to sign a release form for them to legally show his identity.
>implying this is anything but 100% staged

I don't think that woman is even a real boom mic operator, though actually getting the mic operator to stand there would probably be cheaper than hiring an actor.

All of these responses are 100% bullshit as REALLY who the hell would accept "free DVDs" on the street? When they can download them from a reputable source in a file that is far easier to move from device to device! Also get it anonymously and with far more accountability.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Treblaine said:
Jumplion said:
What makes this even more hilarious is that the "no soul" guy would have had to sign a release form for them to legally show his identity.
>implying this is anything but 100% staged

I don't think that woman is even a real boom mic operator, though actually getting the mic operator to stand there would probably be cheaper than hiring an actor.

All of these responses are 100% bullshit as REALLY who the hell would accept "free DVDs" on the street? When they can download them from a reputable source in a file that is far easier to move from device to device! Also get it anonymously and with far more accountability.
It's funnier to think that it was a random guy on the street :D