Fellow members of the PC master race! Mice recommendations?

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
I have been using the Razer mamba and I like it quite a bit, its a wireless/wired hybrid with dual sensor tracking (optical/laser hybrid) at 6400dpi and tons of options and not to many buttons so you can still keep track of what your hitting. Downside is $$$$. I also used a Logitech G5 for years and it was always good to me, but I have been using Razer because with their mice I feel like I can relax my hand a little more and sprawl out but that's just me.

In all honesty the biggest thing that makes a good gaming mouse is if is comfortable in your hand and has fast enough tracking for your play style, I would stay away from wireless only mice because I haven't found one, even my mamba that doesn't have a slightly noticeable lag to it in wireless when compared to wired. Another thing to look into is a decent gaming mouse pad which makes a huge difference with any mouse.

If at all possible feel the mouse in your hand before buying it or at least a similar mouse from the same company.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
thethird0611 said:
Vhite said:
thethird0611 said:
Vhite said:
Get either Logitech G500 or G400, for anything else you are either paying too much money or not getting enough quality. And while I will probably gonna get some hate for this, I'm gonna say that you should probably avoid most of the Razer brand.
Your probably going to get alot of hate because you didnt -explain- why you dont like the Razer brand. Why dont you explain why? I could tell people to, 'probably avoid most drinks that have water in them', and you would wonder why I said that.

This is also interesting that you say that, because my first ever 'gaming' mouse is my Razer Naga Hex... which has been the best mouse ive used in my life, and works -excellent- for gaming.
I was just waiting for someone to respond because someone would respond even if I explained what's wrong with them. Still, there was a chance of me being spared of this wall of text.
My problem with them is simple, and the new mice on the Razer website which people linked here just keep on solidifying it. As second post after OP said, they are the Alienware of peripherals. They are terribly overpriced and they features are often just buzzwords so what are you paying for is mostly pretty words, logos and some cool looking LEDs.
Also my long time problem with them used to be that they used to make ergonomically good mice with rather pointlessly high DPI and sold them for 200% price. Today they seem to have jumped on MOBA/MMO bandwagon and are putting as many buttons on them as they can. Lack of extra buttons was what used to turn me off their products but all I asked for was 3 or 4 extra buttons. Now you got mice like Razer Naga with 12 extra buttons on side. Is that a joke? Since when do mice need more buttons than cellphone? And of course they had to throw the ergonomics out of window to fit there so many buttons.
Well I most likely wouldnt of quoted you if you explained your reason for it, but just saying you just dont like them will give you better chances at getting some type of quotation.

Now I do have to semi-agree about the price of most of the mice, but alot of what you listed that you wanted if actually there.

Again, the mouse I have, the Naga Hex, has six buttons on the side, in a nice little Hex shape. I didnt give the other ones a second chance because to me, 12 buttons is to much. But with the Hex, your thumb fits right in the center of them and they are quite easy to use. So 2 more buttons than the 4 you wanted, in a great design should nullify that point. For those who dont want to use those buttons though, theres the 2 on the top, right below the mouse wheel for those people. I dont even touch em.

The design of the mix, which im guessing is what your talking about with ergonomics, is very nice to. The mouse I have actual feels like it curves with my hand, making it really comfortable, and even has a design for the ring finger do lay down off the side of the mouse comfortably. On the thumb side, you can hold it comfortably without worry about the buttons to, since it feels like the buttons were also made to cradle a resting thumb.

And the LED's? Heck, I like em :p But some people dont.

So I do agree with you with the price, but they make pretty damn good mice.
Sure, you were right to do so.

The Naga Hex seemes to be one of the better ones, that's also why I said in my original post to avoid most (but not all) of the Razer mice. But while I do spend a lot of money on peripherals since they last so long, it still seems to me a bit overpriced.

Of course large part of reasons why you like your mouse is subjective. I wouldn't trade my G500 for any other mouse even if it was for free. :)

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i use a Microsoft blutrack thingie ma thing its got an extra button on either side so its good tracks on almost any surface be it a mouse pad the desk the back of the dog it has a nice long lightweight cord so it does not get stuck behind the desk at inopportune moments
only a couple of problems its hard to clean it has some rubber cushioning on the side that gets coated with hand grease and cant clean/scrape it of easy it could do with 1 or 2 extra buttons and the center button is getting old so it doesn't sense so well same with the wheel but other than that its a good mouse seen me through many campaigns

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
afroebob said:
Don't get your panties in a twist, its a joke. I don't know if you watch Zero Punctuation but it was a line from one of his reviews (The Witcher to be precise) and was something poking fun at the stereotypical PC gamer's feelings of supremacy. Also, the things that make you angry the most are the things you know are true... you seem to be a little upset there, maybe your a little jealous of PC gamers? Try it, its cheaper than consoles by a huge margin anyways. So come... play with us
I do have a gaming PC along with consoles, but thanks for the recommendation. It's just not very nice to the console-only gamers being around the forum hearing about this "lowly console peasant" thing all the time.

Abomination said:
The best thing about the truth is no matter how old it is it never becomes any less true.
But it's subjective, is it not? If the gamer only care about fighting games like Tekken, Soul calibur, DOA or Fight night, then the PC can't fulfill their gaming needs, will it?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
'Gaming' mice is a redundant term, they're the Alienware of peripherals.

Any mouse with good tracking will do you just fine, like Logitech or whatever.
Yup.

Just go to your local tech store, pick up a regular mouse for like $10, and you're set. I've got a wireless Logitech mouse myself. My only complaint is the scroll wheel's got the smallest... scroll... increments...[sub][sub][sub]what?[/sub][/sub][/sub] of all time. But I got used to it.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I'm using a Logitech G9. It's pretty afordable, very responsive, fits perfectly in my hand and is durable =3.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Arakasi said:
snippetysnip
Got a Roccat myself (a wired Roccat Kova+, to be precise). So far, I'm very pleased with it.
It has a nice grip and since I often play classic low res games, it's nice to be able to easily change my dpi.
Roccat mice do also, indeed, look really fancy.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
idarkphoenixi said:
Nouw said:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss gaming mice, if not for the technical specs then the wealth of extra buttons you get with most of them.
This is why I use "gaming mice". A bunch of easy-access buttons to rebind make things a lot easier, especially in the occasional mmo.

Now gaming keyboards on the other hand....
They glow in the dark which is a big positive if you like gaming in the dark and can't see your keys. And that's about it :p.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Sack of Cheese said:
Can we drop the "PC master race" thing already? This juvenile superiority complex is getting a little old.
NEVER!

OT;
Got a Logitech G500 here and loving it. Got great DPI (you can set 5 different levels, going from 100 to 5600, got it on 3600 myself) couple of extra buttons.

You can break the mouse wheel quick though, although that might just be me. This mouse has felt my wall more than a couple of times.

Don't look at me like that, sometimes you get annoyed and the mouse is so easy to trow.

Small advice edit;
IMO ALWAYS go with a wired mouse. Wireless either don;t have the best response time (unless you go UP UP and AWAY on the price scale) Or you run out of battery power in the middle of a firefight.

And it will always happen in the middle of a fire fight.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
What grip? I used to be a palm gripper and used my arm to move the mouse. That was back when I used my Wheel Mouse Optical (still have it!) then I shifted to the X8 and the DP. increase caused me to become a fingertip gripper (Yes I fingertipped an X8. No I don't have large hands). Just after posting how I don't know how I could ever replace it the X8 started glitching. I bought a Mionix Naos to replace it. The 3200 model is all you'll need for a palm grip. It is sooooooooo comfortable, unfortunately my hands aren't big enough to fingertip it. If they were I would have been very happy with it. As it is I need a slightly smaller mouse. I got a Sensei RAW. Perfect. Sensitive for fingertipping, comfortable, and with well positioned thumb buttons. I have had to disable the buttons opposite the thumb, but combined with a hard mousepad It has had a noticeable positive effect on my gaming.

I have heard the deathadder is good for palm grippers with an exceptional sense but crappy switches.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sack of Cheese said:
Can we drop the "PC master race" thing already? This juvenile superiority complex is getting a little old.
No, no we can't, it's far too good a piece of sarcasm to leave behind, even better than the happily dieing joke.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Some of the gigabyte mice are really good. I can't remember which model I have right now but when I get home ill edit my post.

EDIT: What I have is the Gigabyte m8000x. It's a very nice mouse indeed.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1214/

It did very well in reviews too.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I usually opt for one of the "unbranded" gaming mice on eBay.

It's like buying a Razer/SteelSeries mouse, but at a fraction of the cost.

The one I bought two years ago hasn't died on me yet, so it's serving me well. :')

Honestly, though, you're better off just experimenting until you find the mouse that's right for you.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I really like my Logitech G5. It's not an over-designed piece of garbage like most "gaming" peripherals.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
I could give you a recommendation for the mouse that I use (a Razer Deathadder), but the truth is that it has problems, and there is no "one size fits all" mouse. Therefore, I'm just going to tell you what to look for.

First, concerning DPI: DPI doesn't dictate the quality of a mouse. DPI simply means that maximum sensitivity a mouse is capable of, and to be frank, most professional gamers probably play with a lower sensitivity than you. Far more important is a mouse with a good polling rate. Basically try getting something that can support 500hz or above. Another figure that might be important is lift distance, since most people lift their mice well above most lift distances, but it can allow you to make several stroke quickly.

Concerning Infrared vs. Laser, Laser mice tend to support higher sensitivity, but if you make large sweeps, they are far more error prone. Laser does have the advantage of working better on a wider variety of surfaces, but if you're serious about getting a good mouse, get a good mouse pad (a one made for gaming, not one that you get at a local wal-mart that's covered in cat pictures).

Don't get a wireless mouse. The difference isn't noticeable to someone using a mouse to do spreadsheets, but a wireless mouse has both noticeable lag and inaccuracy when compared with a wired one. This isn't an issue with something like head phones or a keyboard because they don't require analogue input. If there is one thing on your computer to get wired, it's the mouse.

Unfortunately, the most important important aspect of a mouse is also the hardest to test without physically going to a store: the feel. Basically, you need to find a mouse that you can comfortably use for prolonged periods using that grip that you like to. A mouse could be accurate down to the molecule and capable of following your hand 1:1 at light speed, but it doesn't matter if the shape of it makes your hand move in an unexpected way.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. Also, here are lists of equipment used by professional Counter Strike [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ar3-PLR9I0_MdGFVc1N1Vm5RSW5lTVJsVjRLVm45UlE&output=html] and Star Craft [http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Pro_gear] players (yes, I'm aware that some use the gear that they do because they are sponsored, but that doesn't matter). This doesn't mean that the gear will make you better, but it does mean that you should never find yourself hampered by it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I recommend getting a simple Dell, Logitech or Microsoft mouse. I had three gaming mice in the past and I haven't felt a change when I returned to using regular mice. I don't think that they're worth the extra money - they're just as accurate and durable as a regular mouse from a good brand.

The extra buttons are useless unless you use macros (which you could bind to your keyboard anyway) and the sensitivity switch won't make sniping easier in a fast paced multiplayer game.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I just use the same cheap Novatech mouse that came with the computer. It fits my hand and tracks quite well, so I've never really had an issue. However, assuming I had spare cash to hand, I'd get me a Razor Deathadder. I like 'em, which is pretty much all the reason I'd need.