Female Game Characters Photoshopped to Average American Proportions

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Oh, so these female characters weren't designed as model-thin and incredibly attractive to appeal to the apparently mythical male gaze (but the female gaze is a real thing!)? I guess it's just a coincidence that female characters, whether in video games, movies, TV, or anything else are pretty much attractive by default with few outliers, whereas men get to be average, and overweight, and old. But hey, maybe the curves and the complete lack of any fat and the characters being dressed like strippers appealing to what men consider attractive is, again, just a weird coincidence.
I didn't say that, and you know it.

I really should learn to just ignore this mindset, but it's so hard to see someone that angry at things that most people find attractive in some way, whether they're male or not.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Chaos Isaac said:
Uh.

They need better photoshop people, one. Secondly, couldn't they at least recognize what some of these characters do and are? Cortana is literally a created image of a woman, and so, would generally not be chubbs in any way, it's just the way most drawn/animated characters tend to be. Including our reality, so, yeah she totally makes sense.

Secondly, could we give some of them some muscle or detailing to reflect what they do asides just changing their proportions.

Also can I say this can also be taken sexist as the males have similarly unrealistic but aren't being shown here as well? I mean, I can be petty too, right?
Uh. How does that make any sense. Cortana is a created image of a woman...she can literally be ANYTHING! Why does she arbitrarily have to be a good looking woman? "The way most drawn/animated characters" tend to be? That's just using the status quo as a defense, it's not a justification of anything. And how does any of this excuse how Cortana was made into more of a sex doll with each game?

While I agree that there should be more muscular women out there, that doesn't have anything to do with the point they're trying to make.

For some reason people can't seem to create any women who don't have fashion model bodies. Men can be anywhere on the spectrum.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Female Game Characters Photoshopped to Average American Proportions

Eating disorder awareness group asks game developers for more realistic character designs.

Tight waists are de rigueur for female character designs in games but, if you have taken a look around, their general dominance isn't exactly an accurate reflection of the world we live in. Seeking to spark discussion on the topic of depicting women in games in a manner more in line with reality, Bulimia.com [http://www.bulimia.com/] (a website providing information on eating disorders including bulimia and anorexia) has released a series of images showing what a variety of characters might look like if they conformed to the measurements of an average American woman.

Some of the images are more dramatic than others. Jade from Mortal Kombat winds up with a more subtle treatment than, say, Rikku of Final Fantasy X-2, who appears squished down more than anything. Other notable characters include Tifa Lockheart (Final Fantasy Disidua 02), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness), and Cortana (Halo 4).

To explain the motivation behind the making of the images, the site reads, "Some gaming studios boast their hyper-realistic lighting techniques, touting natural cloud movements as the latest features of their games. And with that kind of attention to detail, it makes us wonder, why can't they accurately portray the female body?"

[gallery=4446]

Certainly game designers could make the decision to depict less toned flesh. Technology is clearly up to the task, they merely need the desire to do so. It's worth noting that Bulimia.com does not condemn the developers behind the idealized source material nor claim that such bodies are impossible, rather that they are unrealistic as a standard.

Source: Bulimia.com [http://www.bulimia.com/examine/video-games-realistic-body-types/#]

I have personally met women that have very similar bodies as all the ones featured (as close as a human can be to a cartoon) This is yet again more SJW needlessness in the name of "game journalism"

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Burned Hand said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Burned Hand said:
It's magic either way, but I guess fat really breaks immersion for you. I don't have much of a comment beyond that, and how obviously "believability" is a highly subjective measure.
I'm in the military. I work with people that have to be fit for a living. There are still different standards of that fitness however.

Now... go to a military confidence course, look at the different people partaking, and tell me that you can't predict the ones that complete the course with good time, high levels of prowess and without breaking a sweat just by their body types... Nothing subjective about that.
How is that related to outrunning a T-Rex, or exceptional acrobatics and pinpoint aim under fire, after extensive exertion?
How is physical fitness linked to things that require physical fitness? Well... err... dafuq? Are you kidding me?

Outrunning something at speed = needing to be fit.

Being acrobatic = needing to be fit.

Being able to be calm and collected in order to shoot after exertion = needing to be fit.

Are you just being deliberately obtuse for any reason, or do you seriously not see the fucking point? It's pretty fucking crystal, sugar.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Considering Amy Schumer is a size 6
Meh, sizes are meaningless with all the vanity sizing/size inflation that's happening. Basically, as countries get fatter the avarage size increases, meaning what was an 10 10-15 years ago could now an 8 or even a 6. Meanwhile, petite women end up wearing weird sizes like 0 or 00. (And then they get yelled at for online for being slim and tiny and wanting clothes that fit them, because they're 'unnatural' for some reason.)

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Oh look, it's another series of daft images that boil down a character to a single trait (The fact they're female) and then use that as a comparison for "Realism".

I'm sorry, but, no, nobody wants their video game characters to resemble obesity, well, without good reason, anyway.

Generally gluttony is a negative trait reversed for villains.

Either way, how about instead of "This character is a woman, therefore they must look like all women as their only defining trait is their sex" we actually look at the character in question, and if you want to try to make a point of their appearance, instead compare them to people who actually do something vaguely similar to what the characters are depicted doing.

So, whilst, yes, the "Average (American) woman" may be depicted as overweight. The average British female explorer who owns a mansion with an assault course in the backyard and has a history of being in good shape likely will not be depicted as being overweight.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Chaosian said:
In my mind, this more of a testament to how absolutely morbidly obese the average American is
If that's morbidly obese, game character norms are dangerously anorexic.

I do find it amusing that they added width but not body hair...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yes, all very well and good, but...a few problems.

For starters, could you put Nabooru's nose on right? You said 'American proportions'. We don't look like that.

Next problem... Sonya Blade is in the ARMY. Her proportions should be average military personnel.

And finally, I don't play Helo, but I DO know that Cortana is not a real person! You edited a hologram for 'realism'. What the hell?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Next problem... Sonya Blade is in the ARMY. Her proportions should be average military personnel.

And finally, I don't play Helo, but I DO know that Cortana is not a real person! You edited a hologram for 'realism'. What the hell?
These two things top the list of why this makes no sense. I know a guy fresh out of the army. He's skinny with almost no muscle mass to speak of. They are trained to be just strong enough to carry a 100lb pack up a hill. Any added body mass is a waste, including muscle. They simply don't eat enough to bulk up, which maxes out their metabolism since their bodies have to be grossly efficient at processing energy.

And fattening up a computer hologram? This makes no sense! Why would a holographic representation of an artificial being be designed with below average in mind? If a computer is going to be given a body, it would most assuredly be the ideal according to its designer.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bertie Wooster said:
Her tits seem to become bigger and bigger with each game. And that's without mentioning the hartman hips she started sporting in 4.

http://www.stealthybox.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cortanaevolution.jpg

Not really seeing how 4 was less sexualized. Maybe you didn't like it as much but it sure looks like more sex appeal was crammed in there to me.

She wants to be beautiful? When the everloving Hell was that a part of her character!? And everyone wants to be beautiful? First time that I heard about that. And the most sexualized change in her appearance was made in the gap between halo 3 and halo 4. Where she was stuck on a derelict starship thousands of light-years away from Earth slowly going insane. Exactly when would she decide to give herself boob job during that? On that note, the gap between 2 and 3 had her being held kidnapped and mind raped by the Gravemind, when would she give herself a boob job during THAT!?

Throw all logic away? There was never any logic in her tits getting bigger with each game. It didn't fit her character, it didn't make sense in terms of the plot, it's nothing more than pandering, and it's the worst kind of pandering, the kind that

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
erttheking said:
That isn't fat. Half of the girls up there are average sized for women in 1st world countries in general. The others are chubby at worst.
Source needed because even the graphs that people posted of other country's average BMI fails to show that.
Maybe it's average size for women in AMERICA and maybe even UK, but all first world countries? I fucking doubt that, especially in countries like France and you did say "1st world countries in general" as if it was an observable phenomenon across most countries but the opposite is more the case it seems.
This is honestly quite terrifying, that the american average is now the new normal and some people are actually trying to sell us this kool aid and passing off chubby (or at least what is considered chubby in most countries that aint the US) as being the new normal.

PS: I'm laughing over some people's attempt to defend photoshopped Rikku as anything resembling normal.
Her head alone is monstrously, abnormally huge and out of proportion compared to the rest of her body. Proportion wise the others seem to check out but Rikku is just inhuman, it's more like someone is wearing a rikku suit with an oversized head then an actual human being.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
erttheking said:
Ok first of all, they weren't obese. This is obese.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2971526.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3-Britains-fattest-teenager-Georgia-Davis.jpg
No, that's MORBIDLY obese, now take a look at this:

http://imgur.com/ol8rjpr

Looks pretty average right? Hardly what you'd consider obese.

Wrong, that's also obese. I know, because that was me, when I weighted over 200 pounds on a 5'6 frame, with a BMI of 33+ I was solidly in the obese category.

Second of all, they flat out spelled out the point. On average video game women are thinner than real women. Oh and third, half of them weren't really that fat. They were more around normal size.
And what's the point of that comparison? the real women who do the same thing as those video game women are also thinner than the "average" women, and as I've pointed out above, your perception of what's fat and what's obese is rather skewed. It's like you took the overweight > obese > morbidly obese scale and made it into normal > a little fat > obese.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Conrad Zimmerman said:
why can't they accurately portray the female body?"
Why should they? It's make-believe. It's fantasy.

Ironic that you visit a site called "The Escapist" but don't understand the concept of escapist entertainment.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Johnisback said:
Lil devils x said:
Notice how both Rikku and Kate do not have protruding bellies and the photo you show does? Kate and Rikku have the EXACT same shape and proportions, the other picture you show does not. No it does not look larger than Kate.. not at all. ROFL.
So what? Perhaps that's just part of it being a shitty photoshop? Perhaps that skirt is acting as a corset of sorts, either way you're grasping at straws. Notice how with both Rikku and Amanda (the woman on the right) you can see the fat showing on their faces and with Kate you cannot.
Clearly you have an axe to grind because anyone with reasonable vision and an honest disposition can see that Rikku is much larger than Kate in those pictures to the point where saying they have the exact same shape and proportions is just fucking absurd. And as you've seen I've got the democratic support on my side so far, frankly you don't have a leg to stand on.

Now it's gotten quite late for me so I don't have any more time to try and convince you that the sky is blue today. So I will bid you adieu.
You may be right they may not be the exact proportions, as Kate Uptons breasts may actually be larger being an E, meaning she has More fat than Rikku. I am talking about the bodies, not the face, as you can have extremely obese women with skinny faces and petite women with fat faces so that is not as relevant as the proportions of the waist, hip and thighs. You can take measurements from both Uptons picture and Rikkus and compare them. Thighs, hips, waist, yes check out with uptons. Now of course there were people who screamed upton was overweight too...

http://www.skinnygossip.com/kate-upton-is-well-marbled/
http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/02/kate-uptons-trainer-defends-her-porky-body.html
Not even her trainer believes that though, even if her breasts are fatter than Rikkus image there.
reasonable vision, did you see Upton's other pictures? Yes, same body type, however it looks like upton may actually have a bit more meat on her than Rikku in some of the pictures.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Mister K said:
OT: Maybe, just MAYBE you should start running your fat ass off instead of whining about how world is calling your fat ass fat (if YOU don't like your fat ass, that is)? Or maybe, just MAYBE you should finally understand with your little dumb head that it is a FICTIONAL character and no person EVER will achieve this level of artificial "perfection"?
This - PRECISELY this. Video game characters are not real people. If you're going to treat them like they are, you're in for a lot of unnecessary pain.

As for the pictures? Clickbait. Just clickbait.