Final Fantasy 16

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I gotta be honest, everything I've seen from it so far makes it look like Final Fantasy XV all over again, only with a less interesting setting
While FFXVI is yet another Japanese game taking influence from Berserk, I find it way more interesting than whatever was going on XV. XV you needed 4 different expanded universe materials that is mandatory and you have to pay (assuming you just didn't YouTube it or looked a dedicated wiki) for in order understand what goes on its universe. Fuck that shit. XV was only more interesting than XIII by comparison, which ironic, because XV was supposed to be XIII Versus at one point. Which is why XV is such a jumbled mess.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So it is gonna be a hell of a spectacle of a game. Dunno if itll be good, but itll be flashy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So it is gonna be a hell of a spectacle of a game. Dunno if itll be good, but itll be flashy.
You have the combat director of DMC5! It'll be more than just a "spectacle"! Clive can do Dante, Nero, and Vergil shit. The mother-fucker has Judgement Cut End!

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Lol, "FF16 has been develop as the first true action RPG in the series" even they know 15 combat... left a lot to be desired.

Liked the state of play, they actually showed some menu screen to give a good idea of the RPG side, wish more game showcase did that. I do wish there was more than one character you could control, maybe each with a unique gameplay style.

Anyway, won't get to play it at least 1+ year since I'll have to wait for PC port (more if its EGS only at launch).

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do wish there was more than one character you could control, maybe each with a unique gameplay style.
Hence why Clive has all those different weapon types that give him completely different move sets. I get where you're coming from; especially if you just came off of FF7 Remake, but it's clear they want to do something different. Plus, this is nothing new for the element of action games and it's specific genre. There are many where you only just play the one character, and either given a large move set, weapon set, or both.

Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyone worried about the focus being mostly combat?
No. DMC 5 combat designer; your worries and argument are invalid.

Nope. I'm worried about the story being asscheeks.
The story is going to be..."fine"

It's just going to be another version of Berserk. As long as it's not the tragedy that is FF13 or FF15, then I don't give a damn. At worst, I can just quietly ignore it and just focus on the combat.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't that most Final Fantasy games?

Not trying to be flippant but these games are generally combat focused as far as gameplay is concerned.
Not counting the spin-off games, it wasn't until really FF14 (after it's reboot and expansions), FF15 and FF7 Remake.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Isn't that most Final Fantasy games?

Not trying to be flippant but these games are generally combat focused as far as gameplay is concerned.
Short answer: Not really

Long answer: Earlier game had less story because of the limitation of the medium and there were a lot of variation between individual game (4 is very story focused 5 not quite as much). But overall the main draw was mostly story and graphic with gameplay just sorta being okay. Time wise you'll spend most of your time in dungeon/battle, but if there wasn't the story to back those up, few people wouldn't bother playing those game in most cases.

A good way to look at it, when they remade 7, they felt comfortable completely discarding the combat system of the original.

A lot of 16 trailer do focus on combat, but that could mostly be an attempt to avoid spoiler and them trying to branch out of the usual JRPG market and capture more of the action RPG market. Also, lots of story very much does not necessarily translate to good story.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Short answer: Not really

Long answer: Earlier game had less story because of the limitation of the medium and there were a lot of variation between individual game (4 is very story focused 5 not quite as much). But overall the main draw was mostly story and graphic with gameplay just sorta being okay. Time wise you'll spend most of your time in dungeon/battle, but if there wasn't the story to back those up, few people wouldn't bother playing those game in most cases.

A good way to look at it, when they remade 7, they felt comfortable completely discarding the combat system of the original.

A lot of 16 trailer do focus on combat, but that could mostly be an attempt to avoid spoiler and them trying to branch out of the usual JRPG market and capture more of the action RPG market. Also, lots of story very much does not necessarily translate to good story.
Fair enough. I haven't played a FF game newer then X-2, tbh. I have the FF7R in my "To play" pile and it's been sitting there because.....well, until fairly recently we had no idea when part 2 would come out. So I admit I'm going off gameplay videos for anything after X-2

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok this one has moved towards the top of anticipated games because I'm ready for a BIg Game with a story, even with cliches.
So I'm gonna buy this game. There are two consideration about whether I buy it a week after release or a while later (I don't day 1 any more).

1- The pacing of many Japanese games kills me. They just say the same shit over and over, or have cut scenes that go into cut scenes, and talk real slow. Especially the beginning of these games. Even fans are like "it's slow and kinda boring for the first 10 hours" and I'm like hall naw.
I have heard horror stories about FF15 with this kinda thing and if that is true for 16, I'm not paying $70 for that.

2- Performance. I am now super-wary about having new big games even working. Jedi Survivor had the previous game and the Star Wars setting to allow me to push through that, but I don't have that kind of favor for Final Fantasy. Game better work before I buy.

Other than that, I look forward to fight stuff and summon kaiju to help.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ok this one has moved towards the top of anticipated games because I'm ready for a BIg Game with a story, even with cliches.
So I'm gonna buy this game. There are two consideration about whether I buy it a week after release or a while later (I don't day 1 any more).

1- The pacing of many Japanese games kills me. They just say the same shit over and over, or have cut scenes that go into cut scenes, and talk real slow. Especially the beginning of these games. Even fans are like "it's slow and kinda boring for the first 10 hours" and I'm like hall naw.
I have heard horror stories about FF15 with this kinda thing and if that is true for 16, I'm not paying $70 for that.

2- Performance. I am now super-wary about having new big games even working. Jedi Survivor had the previous game and the Star Wars setting to allow me to push through that, but I don't have that kind of favor for Final Fantasy. Game better work before I buy.

Other than that, I look forward to fight stuff and summon kaiju to help.
As far as performance goes, I think most SE game have had very good performance, even the PC ports. I can't recall any that were terrible at launch.

Pacing is up in the air, but I'd argue most FF game have pretty good pacing, they tend to start with a big action set piece for the first hour with some exposition being dropped in quick scene here and there.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As far as performance goes, I think most SE game have had very good performance, even the PC ports. I can't recall any that were terrible at launch.

Pacing is up in the air, but I'd argue most FF game have pretty good pacing, they tend to start with a big action set piece for the first hour with some exposition being dropped in quick scene here and there.
It helps that they are only making a Ps5 version right now, so they can hype focus on optimization for that specific system.

As for the pacing, I'm sure it'll be okay. Depending on how much fluff and lore they expect the player to be aware of and how they go about delivering that.