Final Fantasy Fans Boo Xbox 360 at London Event

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
Seldon2639 said:
Eh... It'd be a bit like Halo going multi-platform. Yeah, the early history of the developer wasn't with Microsoft, but the two have become so linked that it's a bit like a betrayal of the original fans.

Remember all the people complaining about how CoD had forgotten the PC gaming grounds in which it had been planted, blossoming instead in the verdant console greens? It's kind of the same thing.

Imagine Mario going multi-platform.
This is not even close to this hypothetical. FF was originally a nintendo franchise that moved to the PSX because nintendo refused to move on to CD-ROMs as their primary form of Media. Square Enix realized that attaching themselves to the PS3 alone when the two consoles have pretty much divided the market in half was stupid. What did Sony ever do for them, really. They did not contribute to development costs (a la Mass Effect and KOTOR). They were not under some sort of contract. Square-Enix was under no obligation to justify their fan-boy's purchase of the PS3 when it was never annouonced as an exclusive. It was just assumed.

This whole console wars thing is getting really freaking old.
"Yeah, the early history of the developer wasn't with Microsoft, but the two have become so linked that it's a bit like a betrayal of the original fans"

That's the difference. I know the history, but that's not what the emotions are about. The emotions are about the feeling that Square-Enix is inextricably linked to Sony

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
John Funk said:
Sir Ollie said:
You sure they weren't booing at George Lamb?

I hate that guy.

Alright maybe not. But! I mean they could give something like this.

Abit better then a standard super elite with Final Fantasy XIII
God that thing was gorgeous.
Indeed. Loverly.

You know, I'm fine with them being annoyed at FFXIII not being a PS3 exclusive, I really am. I don't have a problem with them generally dissing the 360. But booing a giveaway? That's just rude. That's like spitting on someone trying to give you a gift. Even if you don't necessarily like it, you should still be courteous. Turn around and sell the damn thing if you don't want it.
I feel that an overly hilarious amusing allegory is in place!

"Superman, you have saved the day! You're a douche! Why couldn't you call Batman and let him do it? He's so much more badass than you!"

Does the allegory make sense? If it does, it's not very much. Is it amusing? Possibly. Is Batman more badass than Superman? Hell yeah!

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Julianking93 said:
I also remember when G4 asked a bunch of random people in Japan during the launch of the two consoles which one they were more excited for.

Most everyone said the 360.

Latinidiot said:
are they perhaps booing because they believe FF has been dimmed down for the 360, something I still don't know is true or not?
It's true.
what?

they'll be sorry!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I wouldn't of minded an Xbox and prefer that FF13 is multiconsole, but sure i would of boo'ed for the hell of it xD

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
K84 said:
Every one that Boo'd there, deserves to be denied a copy of XIII at every selling point.
Actually, grab all their FF collections and burn it before their eyes.

Sad display of fandom, truly pathetic.
I would love to see a company turn around and just stick a finger to all the morons who complain about stupid things.

I do want to point out though, this was totally just playstation fanboys this time, can we please wait two days before the xbox fans do something stupid then we can diss them aswell.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
It's times like this, I feel proud to be able to shout:

"ENGLAND! ENGLAND!"

Come on. We must be the only people that boo at free stuff.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Yeah boo that shitty xbawks, they should have never stolen FF from Ninten...oh wait.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
rembrandtqeinstein said:
GloatingSwine said:
Maybe they were booing the shitty port of FFXIII?

I mean I'm a die hard 360 fanboy and certified achievement whore, and I still bought the PS3 version.
Booing is lame but this is true. Single disk > multi disk and apparently the 360 graphics were nuked to get it to fit on 3.
The biggest problems are that the game wasn't reoptimised for the Xbox. It doesn't use the eDRAM properly, so some workarounds for the RSX's poor fill rate are still present on the Xbox where they could be avoided, and this poor optimisation may well be the reason that it is constrained to 576p (There's certainly nothing I've seen in it that wouldn't be technically possible on the Xbox at 720p). It uses Bink video encoding rather than VC1, which provides significantly better quality in motion, so cutscenes get artifacting and loss of quality. (On the PS3 version, something like 32GB of the 38GB of game data is cutscenes, so there was a lot of compression there)

The Xbox version does maintain a higher framerate, but this isn't the kind of game where that really matters.

Really, it would have been nicer to see them take the Lost Odyssey route and just use four discs for the Xbox version.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
bjj hero said:
Jamiemitsu said:
Heh, I probably would have booed, too.

I mean, FFXIII was originally meant to be a ps3 exclusive, and there are TV ads in the uk which only acknowledge the 360, almost as if its an xbox exclusive.
You would have booed? I think it just showed how immature the crowd were.

As far as the adds go, I'm sure Microsoft must have put some money in if the 360 is getting a plug. Maybe SONY should put their hands in their pockets as well.

Multiplatform is a great step for a developer. A bigger audience, more sales, more money for the next title.

Having said that I will not be getting the new FF. Been there and done that, I'm bored with JRPGs.
a game like this cannot look good on the xbox, it needs to stay on the ps3, multiplatform games hurt the ps3 because..

its easy to program first for the xbox then port it over to the ps3, in turn the graphics are not as good for the ps3 as they should be.. the proof is in games like GTA, Ghostbusters, MW2, and so on.

if you take exclusives for both systems and put them side to side the PS3 always looks much better,

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Jamiemitsu said:

I mean, FFXIII was originally meant to be a ps3 exclusive, and there are TV ads in the uk which only acknowledge the 360, almost as if its an xbox exclusive.
So was GTA4 and RE5, companies like to spread out. Fanboys need to deal with that.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Seldon2639 said:
"Yeah, the early history of the developer wasn't with Microsoft, but the two have become so linked that it's a bit like a betrayal of the original fans"

That's the difference. I know the history, but that's not what the emotions are about. The emotions are about the feeling that Square-Enix is inextricably linked to Sony
Again, this is not logical. They released it on the PS3. It's not like they just left the console and moved on like they did with nintendo. If they did that and went 360 exclusive I would understand. They did not. Whether or not it is seen as linked is not material, because they DELIVERED for those fans.

Square sells on both systems----->Square makes more money to make the next FF game------->An absolute good for all fans of the series. See, logic makes it feel better.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
it makes sense that these people booed, if i even liked this game i would have booed..

think about it.. look at these die hard FF fans, die hard sony PlayStation fans.

this would be like going to a Ferrari party, to find out there gonna give away a free Ford focus....

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Ahh Fanboys, the world shall never understand you.

They make very little sense, and the world shall implode if ever they do make sense.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
GloatingSwine said:
Maybe they were booing the shitty port of FFXIII?

I mean I'm a die hard 360 fanboy and certified achievement whore, and I still bought the PS3 version.
Booing is lame but this is true. Single disk > multi disk and apparently the 360 graphics were nuked to get it to fit on 3.
The biggest problems are that the game wasn't reoptimised for the Xbox. It doesn't use the eDRAM properly, so some workarounds for the RSX's poor fill rate are still present on the Xbox where they could be avoided, and this poor optimisation may well be the reason that it is constrained to 576p (There's certainly nothing I've seen in it that wouldn't be technically possible on the Xbox at 720p). It uses Bink video encoding rather than VC1, which provides significantly better quality in motion, so cutscenes get artifacting and loss of quality. (On the PS3 version, something like 32GB of the 38GB of game data is cutscenes, so there was a lot of compression there)

The Xbox version does maintain a higher framerate, but this isn't the kind of game where that really matters.

Really, it would have been nicer to see them take the Lost Odyssey route and just use four discs for the Xbox version.

Holy crap that was say more detailed than my "pictures less gooder" response.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Jamiemitsu said:

It's called marketing, in the UK Microsoft did it, Sony did not.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Latinidiot said:
Julianking93 said:
I also remember when G4 asked a bunch of random people in Japan during the launch of the two consoles which one they were more excited for.

Most everyone said the 360.

Latinidiot said:
are they perhaps booing because they believe FF has been dimmed down for the 360, something I still don't know is true or not?
It's true.
what?

they'll be sorry!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

" It should be noted that the 360's graphics occasionally look fuzzy during some cutscenes, while the PS3 version seems to have sharper graphics overall, but it's a relatively minor quality difference."

via
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/03/beautiful-innovation-the-first-20-hours-of-ff-xiii.ars

Tsukento

Mar 12, 2010
mrx19869 said:
it makes sense that these people booed, if i even liked this game i would have booed..

think about it.. look at these die hard FF fans, die hard sony PlayStation fans.

this would be like going to a Ferrari party, to find out there gonna give away a free Ford focus....
Except wasn't this a multiplatform event and not dedicated solely to Sony?

Either way, talk about a bunch of whiny brats. You have to be retarded to not attempt getting something like that for free. Even if you didn't want a 360, a smart person would take it and resell it. You get it for free and make cash off of it. Win-Win situation.