First Person: Skyrim is Soulless

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Kimarous said:
So don't you go spewing nonsense like "if a game can be played 'wrong,' it's the fault of the game," because that is complete and utter bullshit.
LOL, well said.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe Agnis didn't react because that was the 5th time that had happened that week, and it was only Tuesday.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
PH3NOmenon said:
Yes. Yes, yes a thousand times yes.

What point is a game in which you're "free to do anything and everything" if npc's don't acknowledge and react to whatever you do.

Imagine a skyrim but where dialogue would exist calling you out for only killing women. Or where you'd actually get yelled at for selling a questreward right in front of the quest-giver's eyes. "That was a gift, you callous jerk!" Or "Where on earth has all my cookware gone?" after robbing a household. Where people would starve if you stole all their food and they were out in a distant guardstation. Better yet, where the guards will get annoyed and desert if you leave them nothing to eat but biscuits and steal the rest.

I wouldn't care if the world is half as big, if you could actually interact with the world.
Seriously, can I forward your post to Bethesda? I think that idea is good stuff.

On second thought, if I had too much fun having the world reacting to all of my shenanigans, I'd probably be divorced for ignoring my wife and family. :)

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Athinira said:
An "invitation" is something that carries a benefit... Picking up every item in the game and selling it has a gameplay benefit for the min-maxing crowd
I don't disagree. Only, it's strange that Dennis is compulsively obsessed with the net sale value of every item in Skyrim, and yet so thrown by an 'off' response from an NPC. I didn't know min-max'ers overlapped with serious role-players. I am educated.
Nurb said:
He has got a point; hints of a souless experience without any real recognition of your efforts or decisions.

My own examples:
-Became Harbinger of the Companions and the guards still ask if I "fetch the mead" and I'm still talked down to by guild members.

-A whole town watches me kill a dragon and absorb its soul, but then goes back to making smart-ass remarks "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll"
Totally commiserate. My experience with the killing a dragon in town was quite different - Afterwards, they encircled the dragon, amazed at the beast and to be in the presence of Dragonborn. It was a great moment.

The only immersion-killer there was that they killed the dragon, I just shot at it from behind a bush.

The pursuit of this degree of freedom is admirable, even if Bethesda has a ways to go yet.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Kimarous said:
Athinira said:
If a game can be played "wrong" in the first place, then it's the fault of the game, not the player, because for some players, playing the game "right" isn't enjoyable.
That is the silliest, most untrue statement I have seen in a long time. Any game can be "played wrong."

When I first played Ocarina of Time (my third console game ever), I honestly tried to play it like Mario. I get to Queen Gohma and thought, like with bosses like King Bob-Omb or Whomp, I only needed to strike the boss once every time it got stunned. You know what happened? The battled dragged, and dragged, and I eventually died because I ran out of means to stun it. I fought it this way multiple times for over two hours and I got really, really angry with the game.

I WAS PLAYING IT WRONG!
Using the wrong tactics/making the wrong decisions and "playing a game wrong" are two different things. It's not the same at all. When I'm talking about "playing the game wrong", i mean playing the game in a way the game doesn't invite you to in the first place.

From your description (having never played the game), it seems like Ocarina of Time is a game that doesn't paint a flowing weak spot on a boss and instead invites you to experiment until you find the right tactic, which you eventually did. So you didn't play the game wrong ;o)

Skratt said:
I would disagree. You (as in the player) define your own happiness. If you watch a movie and enjoy it, that is all you. You may enjoy the hell out of a movie that your neighbor hated. Happiness is defined by disposition, not by circumstance. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can make you happy, but you.

Someone gives you something, you either like it or you don't. The thing they gave you is completely indifferent to your level of enjoyment.
Except that you don't define that yourself. What you enjoy or don't enjoy as a human is a product of your personality, NOT of your free will. I can't "decide" what i like or don't like. At best, i can try to enforce a mindset upon myself, but that's still a "fake" mindset in the same way that trying to convince myself that I'm in love with a chair doesn't make me in love with it.

And I'm having fun with Skyrim. What I'm arguing, however, is that I (and MANY other people) could have had so much more fun if Bethesda has just improved on some of the games flaws and had a better sense of game and world design. The worst part is that they are actually really close.... but still no cigar :-(

Like it or not, as human beings we react to stimuli (including digital entertainment), and while every human is different, there is typically some stimuli that we statistically react to more than others. It's not that Skyrim lacks good stimuli, to me it's more like it's attempting to drown us in some of it while withholding the rest.... i just want to taste it all and live to see the day! ;P

Levethian said:
I don't disagree. Only, it's strange that Dennis is compulsively obsessed with the net sale value of every item in Skyrim, and yet so thrown by an 'off' response from an NPC. I didn't know min-max'ers overlapped with serious role-players. I am educated.
I don't get people who always say that "I didn't know X overlapped with Y". Everything can overlap with almost everything. Human diversity at its finest ;-)

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Danyal said:
By the time I had logged as many hours into New Vegas as I have in Skyrim, I felt like I had big decisions to make that were really going to change the world of New Vegas.

That's how I felt. Preparing for the big battle, preparing for taking over New Vegas.
Bam, end, finish, a nice powerpoint shows how everything has changed.

That's it, not stop playing the game or make a new characer.

*Sigh*

HUGE disappointment. Really, I loved the game, but I was so disappointed in the end that I have never touched the game since I've seen the end credits.
That's the primary reason I wasn't quite as oogly-boogly over New Vegas as some of the other older fans were: it doesn't really feel like I've made an impact when the game feels the need to sit me down and explain that I've made an impact, then casually change the subject if I ask for any details. It's still a good game, and to be honest, none of the games really did this well; it's as if the entire franchise has some crippling fear of the "falling action" portion of the plot. But the original Fallout at least gave a token falling action with the conversation with the Overseer, and you got to witness the results of some of your choices firsthand after the resolution in 2 & 3 (with the expansion). I still liked the game, and I understand why they couldn't personally demonstrate all of your choices, but the ending just felt dramatically unsatisfying to me.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
I wish people would stop referring to Fallout NV as if it represents Bethesda getting it right, so to speak. Yes, they published it, but Obsidian developed it, and it shows.

Obsidian is, imo, an underrated developer; their execution seems to fall short of their intentions more often than not (KotOR 2 is a great example). I suspect they just need more money and time.

I've always felt that Obsidian lies somewhere between Bethesda and Bioware: content-drive vs character-driven. YMMV.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I haven't played Skyrim yet, and I probably won't for a long time, but I guess I'm lucky since this wouldn't affect me. I probably would've just happily stolen everything in the fort without a second thought.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Fair comment. By the 500th time Adrianne the Warmaiden blacksmith lady said ?you get things done, I like that? (my personal ?arrow through the knee?), what began as an affirmation that I was making a difference became a meaningless, rote reminder that this was a game and this was all I was going to hear from her. At least people have stopped trying to start a conversation with me while I am trying to fight a goddam dragon. Or maybe I just stopped noticing.

Although I don?t regret the purchase, I am less entranced by the world as the hardcore fans so that doesn?t help. Having put close to 90 hours into Skyrim I can speak to it?s addictive quality, but once the magic of upping skills and attaining gear wore off, everything became far less engaging so I?ll probably sell up once the main quest is done. It feels that in the quest for scope, Bethesda sacrificed depth- a smaller cast with longer and more varied quests would have contributed enormously to it?s longevity, for me at least.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
This was one among many problems I had with skyrim. The first was the sheer ease of the game. Oblivion on the hardest difficulty required planning, strategy, and your build gave you the tools to overcome it yet there was always a way out of the most demanding and confounding confrontations.

In skyrim set to highest difficulty, you need none of that, dragons are soloable after a few levels and their novelty not-withstanding a level more, melee gives you a headstart and magic removes all difficulty in the later quests, and the guild quests are over and done with in a few hours. Even the dragonshout destroys would-be obstacles once you learn the one that knocks over and paralyzes foes for several seconds.

Oblivion before and after the game-enhancing mods gave me the challenge and open-world rpg experience I craved and still crave, many playthroughs had and completed. They should've took a look at what they had done and the mods that enhanced it and sought to make a game that exceeded that combined level of excellence but instead seemed to have felt out-done and under-shot what could've been a great opportunity. It'll take a long time before the skyrim mods catch up to the years of creating that oblivion spawned and is still spawning. I see the amount of things that came from it as reciprocity, bethesda gave so much and in return, the community gave back more, almost like a thank you . With what skyrim added... I don't know if that encourages anything more than the basic things modded bethesda games are given i.e. mod manager and fixes.

I could go on making this a blog-esque tear down of skyrim and seeing how disliking this game is "unpopular," usually warrants bashing but this gives me the opportunity to say the above and one last thing, I no longer believe bethesda brings challenge and substance that the previous games had. Elder scrolls is now the call of duty for rpgs and bethesda seems to be $atisfied with that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dennis Scimeca said:
I was completely disinterested in the story and only cared about killing things and taking their stuff was my first clue that something was off about Skyrim,
Sounds to me that you simply don't like the game as it is, and there's your reasoning right there. I can understand your wanting to RP in the game and expect it to be fluidly conducive for doing so, however coming out and saying that you're utterly disinterested in the story and that all you really want to do is clear out dungeons and sell the loot kinda says that you have a very simplistic view of the game. If all you want to do is go around killing NPCs, why not give Saints Row 3 a try? I hear there's plenty of mindless NPC slaughter in there.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you don't like the story behind a game to the point that you can easily say "I was completely disinterested in the story and only cared about taking their stuff was my first clue that something was off about Skyrim." I suggest that deep down you never liked Skyrim in the first place...and if you're playing a game that deep down you don't like, of course you're going to feel that there's something wrong with it.

There's so much to do in Skyrim, all sorts of interesting and fun quests and storylines to get involved with, and yet you boiled your experience down to just dungeon clearing? Of course you're gonna think the game his hollow and souless, you haven't ACTUALLY been playing it! If you give up on the story(ies) presented in an RPG then you've given up on the game itself and as such are officially killing more time than NPCs. I'm certain any one of us who thoroughly enjoy the game would feel as bored as you do if we just said "Screw the story, I'm doing nothing but dungeon crawling." Skyrim is BUILT around the stories within it, if you ignore/avoid them then there is absolutely no point to be playing it. The same would be true about Oblivion if you just ignored its story, just as it would be true about the Fallout games or any other RPG for that matter.

:p That said, I will admit it's a bit iritating that after having won the Civil War for the Empire, people still talk about the Storm-Cloak leader as though he were still alive when I ask them what they think of the war.

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
warning, contains spoilers:

the most fun thing that happened to me, was when i finished that quest where you get the little girl for the temple of dibella. the little girl saw me steal something and ran around crying. she even followed me upstairs, where the priestess took out a dagger and ran screaming and slashing after the little girl!

this game is so disconnected from it's own reality it becomes a parody in and on itself.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Dennis Scimeca said:
I suspected that nothing I did would ever matter, and that has been my experience as I've progressed through the game.
This is exactly why I don't even like the idea of Elder Scrolls games.

What's the point of Role Playing in a single player game like this?

At least when I play D&D, I'm role playing with others. Single player role playing just kinda reminds me of Text based role playing by yourself...

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I think this is why that idea of a 'Skyrim-Dragon Age baby' came up. It would be awesome to have the openness and options and freedom of Skyrim with the story and character development and consequences of a Bioware game.

I enjoy playing Skyrim very much, but it is totally lacking in story. I mean, the best they could come up with was a ripoff of Romans vs Celts/Picts/Germans/northern tribespeople?
I know, I know, it's a fraction more complicated than that, but really, it's pretty bland. I can't actually even care enough about one side or the other to decide whether I should join the Stormcloaks or the Imperials yet...

In Dragon Age, on the other hand, although the world is more limited, I actually *felt* the injustice of the way Mages were treated (even though my character wasn't one), and I genuinely raged when

Anders blew up the Chantry, because I understood why he did it, but terrorism is never the way and he'd managed to kill the one woman in the Chantry who actually seemed to have a functioning brain *and* a chance of making a difference to the mess that was going on...I actually had to really stop and think whether I wanted to kill Anders where he stood or give him a second chance

So, yeah. Skyrim is a great and entertaining series of diversions, and some very beautifully presented grind, but it would need a huge injection of story to become what *I* would consider the perfect WRPG. I still enjoy it very much, though, the same way I loved Dragon Age 2 but would have killed for a bit more variety in the dungeons!!

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
PhantomEcho said:
See, when I met Agnis... I had the complete opposite reaction.

Here was the perfect character to exemplify how the game has a soul. It's self aware. She knew even before the bandits were killed at her feet that someone else was going to come along anyways, and it didn't matter in the least. She'd seen it before. She'd see it again.

What this story is describing? That's the limitations of a game that strives to be massive.

You can't have it both ways. You can't have a world TEEMING with infinite dialogue and interesting characters while also being enormous and filled with random interesting things to do. It's just one of the many little signs that say:

"Even though we were busy designing this big, beautiful world... we haven't forgotten the people who make it up."

She has a personality. It's a limited personality, because Agnis is NOBODY... but it's a personality. It's a mindset. It's a character. You can't develop EVERY character, but you -can- give minor set-piece characters a little flair.
I also agree with the F/b comments. The article is legit, but Skyrim (and similar games) are like a skeleton waiting for your own flesh to be added on it. Everything is made up by you; it's like a table-top, with a massive canvas. For example, I used my own imagination to explain who the hero was; why this was happening. Why he was going here next. Etc.

This is a contrast to the other RPGs that hold your hand and deliver things in a much more linear fashion and define most of the elements for you. Both game types have their flaws and strengths.

Edit: on a note, however, it is kind of annoying when NPCs repeat the same line 3,000 times. They start becoming defined by that one and single line

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
I know exactly the dungeon you are taking about. But you seem to have missed a VERY impotent thing.

IF you had covered her again, for a third time, she would have told you that she comes with the place.

The fort is her home, and she is a stubborn old coot who wont move, so when someone moves in she tells them she is not going any ware. THAT'S why she was not bothered by the bodys. She is used of it happening. In fact, I think she has more soul than any other NPC in the game, simply due to her stubborn-no-fuss attitude to the things going on around her.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nurb said:
He has got a point; hints of a souless experience without any real recognition of your efforts or decisions.

My own examples:
-Became Harbinger of the Companions and the guards still ask if I "fetch the mead" and I'm still talked down to by guild members.

-The info I found at the Thalmore Embassy shows it doesn't matter which faction I decide to help win the war, which I was really debating with myself on.

-I have no option when dealing with the gods' demands, I either accept or leave the quests unfinished, but if I do comply, it doesn't show in the world anyway beyond an artifact that I've advanced beyond using anyway.

-I can't play a "good guy" and take down the thieves guild if I feel like it; I have to frame a guy that I just helped and called me a friend, but if I do to progress the story, he doesn't act any differently.

-A whole town watches me kill a dragon and absorb its soul, but then goes back to making smart-ass remarks "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll"

-Same goes for being a thane; I punch someone for disrespecting my position and suddenly I'm getting my ass kicked by the whole damn town.
NPC's actually say "somone stoel your sweet roll?"

reference to fallout 3?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Danyal said:
By the time I had logged as many hours into New Vegas as I have in Skyrim, I felt like I had big decisions to make that were really going to change the world of New Vegas.

That's how I felt. Preparing for the big battle, preparing for taking over New Vegas.
Bam, end, finish, a nice powerpoint shows how everything has changed.

That's it, not stop playing the game or make a new characer.

*Sigh*

HUGE disappointment. Really, I loved the game, but I was so disappointed in the end that I have never touched the game since I've seen the end credits.
to be fair I think there was a reason for that...there were so many different outcomes for everything that doing anything after the "endgame" would have been too hard..I think anyway, I think they mentioned it in regards to not having any DLC that takes place "after"

that said my memory may be hazy

if that was the case then I would prefer that, rather than them "overiding" what ever decisions you made just so you could keep playing (and personally I dont often find any reason to continue playing anyway)

I think with fallout 3 there were less outcomes....good...bad...neutral, you were always going to go down a similar path