For all intensive purposes

eypyeash

Apr 10, 2008
"My best friend likes this, while my other best friend likes another thing." You can't have two best friends. That would imply the gold, silver, and bronze medals at the Olympics are equal. They aren't. Easy. If you really have three great friend who you feel totally equal about, and no one is better than them, you should just call them your close friends and be done with it.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
It's sad that I entered this topic intending to correct you on your mistake, only to find that you were complaining about that very same thing xD

And it annoys me when people say "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less".
But what if they actually could care less and are willing to demonstrate it? Personally, I couldn't, but some people are possessed of such depths of cold, emotionless apathy that maybe they really could care less about something than the average person.

I'm tired of the morons that use "your" instead of "you're" and "there" instead of "their" and vice versa (also "its" and "it's"; one is possessive and the toher a contraction of "it is" dammit). They might be taught badly by terrible teachers in school, or they're really that fucking stupid; either way, I'm tired of seeing it, and it's sad.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
Jordi said:
I don't like it when people make these mistakes, but I absolutely hate the people who smugly correct them and then add nothing useful to the thread. Also, in some cases people just need to learn to live with the fact that language evolves.

BTW: what is affidavid?
While I admit that it's petty and often arrogant to correct someone's language, do we really want the English language to degenerate? You call it an evolution, I call it a devolution (and I don't give a damn if that's not a word). I already think the amount of dumbing down Americans have forced upon the language is silly, it doesn't need to go any further.
Note that I said in some cases. Obviously this is a cop-out and these cases may be hard to define, but it is kind of important nonetheless. A completely static language is extremely inefficient. Just think of all the words we use to describe the use of computers and the internet. Inventing and redefining words and expressions makes for more efficient communication. For instance, you may have just "invented" the word "devolution" (I don't know if it's an official word or not, but let's pretend it wasn't). I think everybody knows what you mean, so it seems like a perfectly reasonable addition to the English language (at least to me).

The reason I brought this up by the way was that someone (Furburt) mentioned the use of quantifications of "unique". To me, this seems perfectly reasonable. Basically everything is unique if you take the binary meaning, however, some things are closer to the mainstream than others. Of course, this is debatable, but it seems perfectly fine to me.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
People often talk of "the exception that proves the rule." which can seem like an oxymoron unless the rule that you're talking about is that there's always an exception.

While I don't really use the expression and from what I understand it's supposed to be "probes" instead, everyone uses this phrase so much that it's become mutated.

My friend always makes a big deal when they overuse the term "tragedy" on the news. I kind of understand, they're making America more stupid by using the word in cases when it's not a literal tragedy. Once again, it's a term that's just going to mutate into whatever the retarded pundits think it's supposed to mean.

alphaxi

Apr 29, 2008
Necator15 said:
This one has been bothering me since I learned it: Quote is a verb, not a noun. It isn't possible to have quotes, at least in the sense most students will use the word.
This is interesting to me because the precise thing that I learned from a Harvard PhD was exactly the opposite of what you just said. I learned that quote is a noun, not a verb. You present quotes, you don't quote something.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Has anyone here ever heard someone actually say "lol"? I have. By definition, saying this is wrong. It is to be typed in chat and/or text messages to indicate that you are laughing. In direct person to person communication, it is perfectly acceptable to just laugh.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I absolutely hate it when people say "I could care less" when they're saying they really don't care about something. The right way to say it is "I couldn't care less" - saying you could care less implies that you actually do care somewhat.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
The following annoy me to an irrational extent:

"Oftentimes" - I think this is an Americanism, either way, its utterly redundant and sounds hill-billyish.
"Those ones" - This is just tautology
"You am" - instead of "You are": this is something that (British) Northerners tend to do.
The letter "H" when pronounced as 'haitch' rather than 'aitch'

Pyrr

Mar 12, 2010
I hate it when people say or type 'then' instead of 'than'. For example: 'Less then that' when it should be 'Less than that'.

Drives me crazy.

Mr Wednesday

Jan 22, 2008
Y'know, it still works as a sentence.

The Axelgrinder EZ Saw works for all intensive purposes. Cutting up Dragon made of Diamond? Sawing in half a beam of pure titanium? The Axelgrinder wont let you donwn!

...bit of a strech I guess.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
If you'd like a name for this sort of thing, they're apparently called "damp squids".

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Icecoldcynic said:
Jiraiya72 said:
In many places I've heard that phrase. It gets me a bit grouchy. Do they really not know it's intents and purposes? Technically it should be intent because intent(s) is redundant but that's semantics. I heard people say or write affidavid. It also makes me rage inside. We drink espresso, not expresso. What phrases do you constantly see said or used wrong?
It's sad that I entered this topic intending to correct you on your mistake, only to find that you were complaining about that very same thing xD

And it annoys me when people say "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less".
Me too, on both accounts.

May 28, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
Jiraiya72 said:
In many places I've heard that phrase. It gets me a bit grouchy. Do they really not know it's intents and purposes? Technically it should be intent because intent(s) is redundant but that's semantics. I heard people say or write affidavid. It also makes me rage inside. We drink espresso, not expresso. What phrases do you constantly see said or used wrong?

Very much seconded. If they could care less, than that means there is some degree of care.

The one that gets me the most is when people write "loose" when they mean "lose". My God, it's not that hard.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
'Same difference'

'Your an idiot' (it's you're)

I don't find them annoying, just... wrong.

Oh, and it does irritate me a little to see everyone suddenly using the word 'arbitrary' because they heard it on ZP.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Eh.... this stuff used to bother me, but its so widespread that I just can't let it bother me anymore. Otherwise i'd just be a very angry person walking around everyday. : /

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
When people say cant be asked instead of cant be assed, i know thats a more british saying.

I hate it cos it makes me start to doubt myself, i mean what if it is cant be asked and im wrong..

Can someone please tell me which one is right -.-

AlissaX70

Apr 24, 2008
When people pronounce "draw" as "drawl." Those are two different words, "draw" does NOT have an "l" at the end of it!!

TheLoneSeeker

Your Towel
Feb 8, 2010
Icecoldcynic said:
Oh god THIS, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS! I just started to notice it this year, and I don't know how it started.

Also, people saying "I've only got one choice". No, if there's only one course of action, its not a choice. Choice implies selecting from multiple options. Pedantic? Maybe. Annoying? Definitely.