For all intensive purposes

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
PurpleSky said:
Susan Arendt said:
People claiming that writers are "bias," rather than "biased." Drives me batty.
How is it correct?
It's NOT correct, that's the point. You can "have bias" or "be biased" you can't "be bias"... it's impossible, I've tried. People on this site have claimed that I am "bias-incarnate" so maybe I'm the only one that can "be bias."

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
SavingPrincess said:
People on this site have claimed that I am "bias-incarnate" so maybe I'm the only one that can "be bias."
Bias-incarnate is perfectly cromulent*, and might not even need the hyphen. I'm not 100% certain there. It simply means that you are the physical manifestation of the concept of bias.

*Yes, I'm aware of the irony.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Lexodus said:
Georgie_Leech said:
Has anyone here ever heard someone actually say "lol"? I have. By definition, saying this is wrong. It is to be typed in chat and/or text messages to indicate that you are laughing. In direct person to person communication, it is perfectly acceptable to just laugh.
Oh, fuck, this. I've gotten to the point where I actually punch people if they say 'lol' or 'XD'.
Wow. I've heard people SAY 'rofl' and 'lol', but 'XD'? Do they really say 'Ex-Dee'??? That's messed up.

I once was driving my car; some dude turned left in front of me and I almost hit him. I actually rolled down my window and yelled "ELL-TWO-DRIVE".

I punched myself immediately after I realized what I had done. I punched myself HARD.

pierre61

Aug 23, 2008
Mine goes back many years to when I was a kid and has rattled around in my conciousness since.
It was an advert for Bic disposable razors. The jungle had a line lauding the durability of the razor and purported that they lasted "Up to a week and often more"

AGGGHHH!!!!

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Just out of curiosity, as this seems to be the thread for this, is anyone bothered by double contractions?

ex: He shouldn't've done that.
We couldn't've been there.
She wouldn't've slept with Timmy! She's a hermaphrodite and he's homophobic!

OT: I find amusement in sitting in chatrooms and correcting peoples spelling and grammar. These aren't peeves, they're merely targets. =D

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
Davrel said:
The following annoy me to an irrational extent:

"You am" - instead of "You are": this is something that (British) Northerners tend to do.
No.....no we really don't.

OT: I hate anyone that "speakzz lyk dis bro, coz thei iz ardd" - To these people, 'Would you kindly' fuck off and die...with fire?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sherbet is another one that annoys me. "I would like some sherbert". Maybe if it existed.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Confusing : Your, You're

Confusing : There, Their, They're,

Improper Capitalisation : i. yes.

The Grocer's Apostraphe : look, two dog's! How much for those Wiimote's?

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
In many places I've heard that phrase. It gets me a bit grouchy. Do they really not know it's intents and purposes? Technically it should be intent because intent(s) is redundant but that's semantics. I heard people say or write affidavid. It also makes me rage inside. We drink espresso, not expresso. What phrases do you constantly see said or used wrong?
Why is the pluralisation of "intents" redundant? Surely someone can have numerous "intents" just as they can have numerous "purposes".

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
eypyeash said:
"My best friend likes this, while my other best friend likes another thing." You can't have two best friends. That would imply the gold, silver, and bronze medals at the Olympics are equal. They aren't. Easy. If you really have three great friend who you feel totally equal about, and no one is better than them, you should just call them your close friends and be done with it.
You can have two best friends if you have multiple personnalities. :-D

REPLAY13

Apr 6, 2010
people that could care less make me rage.

if you could care less, then you obviously do care somewhat.

it's not difficult!

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
It's the frequent failure to discern between "its" and "it's" that bugs me most. I acknowledge that logically it might be better off the other way around, but, come on, people!

MimsySnark

Cat's Meow
Jan 18, 2010
When people say "supposably" instead of "supposedly" really bothers me--my ex-husband did it all the time and it always grated on my nerves.

Another one a lot of people are guilty of is saying "drowned" when they mean to use the present tense "drown". It's completely baffling that a college graduate could still make such a mistake!

Practically everything else I can think of has already been covered here.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Tolerant Fanboy said:
SavingPrincess said:
People on this site have claimed that I am "bias-incarnate" so maybe I'm the only one that can "be bias."
It simply means that you are the physical manifestation of the concept of bias.
Right, if you've read my reviews/articles, you'd understand.

I have to repeat it because it warrants repeating: People, from the highest pay grade of the top news organization, simply do not know how to properly use the phrase "it begs the question."

You do NOT follow up the phrase "it begs the question" with an actual question.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
manaman said:
Icecoldcynic said:
And it annoys me when people say "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less".
It doesn't bother me, see you have to care some what to bother making the statement in the first place, so saying you couldn't care less would be a lie, where as saying you could care less would not be a lie and is generally understood to mean you don't really give much a damn about whatever it is.

Davrel said:

"Oftentimes" - I think this is an Americanism, either way, its utterly redundant and sounds hill-billyish. Unless the US existed in the 1500s you can't blame that one on the US. It is also a legitimate word.

Davrel said:
"Those ones" - This is just tautology This is a plural form of That one. Such as if you are asked a question of "Which ones are done?" It would be grammatically correct to say "those ones." Even if you don't like the phrase.

Davrel said:
"You am" - instead of "You are": this is something that (British) Northerners tend to do. "Am" is the first person singular conjugation of the verb to be. You are right to correct these people.

Davrel said:
The letter "H" when pronounced as 'haitch' rather than 'aitch'
Pronunciation is the thing you should be least bothered about. Accents are different everywhere you go.

I admit I do not know the etymological roots of "oftentimes" but I have never encountered a British person using the word (nor have I seen it in literature), so whilst it may once have been a legitimate word in British English, it is not used today.

In British English, the addition of "ones" after "these" or "those" is incorrect.

Pronunciation and accents, despite being similar, are not the same thing. You should still say "aitch" even if you have a Scottish/Australian/South-African/Chinese/etc. accent. If something is mispronounced (i.e. haitch) it is incorrect.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
Davrel said:

"You am" - instead of "You are": this is something that (British) Northerners tend to do.
No.....no we really don't.
Yes.....yes you really do.

I know several people who do. Perhaps I should have said "some...", but I thought that was inferred by "tend to do."

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
If you are the Grammar Nazi's I'm the Red Army coming to smash Berlin.

Language is complex, and constantly evolving. The only rule against which it should be measured against is communication and beauty, never accuracy.
Take it away stephen!
http://www.stephenfry.com/2008/12/22/series-2-episode-3-language/

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
SavingPrincess said:
I have to repeat it because it warrants repeating: People, from the highest pay grade of the top news organization, simply do not know how to properly use the phrase "it begs the question."

You do NOT follow up the phrase "it begs the question" with an actual question.
Really? I'm afraid I'm guilty of that one. Could you give an example of how to do it properly?

AddytheGreat

May 25, 2009
Davrel said:
I'm sorry, but I'm from Newcastle (someone has to), that's pretty much as North as you can get, and no one I have ever met has said that. Sorry to pick you up on that, but that sort of annoyed me.

On Topic, I know its' been said before but "I could care less" drives me mad.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
Um... Actually, the saying IS intents and purposes. People just slur it and then people hear it as intensive purposes. Then they say it as such, etc.