For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
If I had to pick a single one I'd pick GTA San Andreas. Personal taste tough. If it was by it's relevance I'd pick The Sims 2 (it made EA big and created the casual market).

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
silenticecream said:
Shadow of the Colossus. Simply unforgettable.
give this man a medal. he is CORRECT!

i'd argue that it's pointless asking for the best game of the decade: there are simply too many choices. i was gonna suggest spiderman 2 ( the best and most revolutionary sandbox made). i was also gonna say pyschonauts ( obvious, really) and fallout 3 ( it's flawed- but still brilliant, and the best RPG i've ever played). on top of that, there's kingdom hearts 2,portal, half life 2,mass effect 2- there are probably others i haven't thought of yet.

there are so many choices: i think a better question would have been to list all the best games of the decade.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
I am really undecided between:

Half Life 2.
Team Fortress 2.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
Dragon Age Origins.

If I were to nominate one though, I think I would say KotOR. That game was really well made and had a very interesting story-line.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to piss off a bunch of people and say Mirror's Edge. It's still my favorite game, period, so...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, I've been gaming since about 1986, so I guess I have to weigh in... and I'm going to have to go with Supreme Commander. First game to deserve the "S" in "RTS". Also, I used to love Total Annihilation, but I always felt it needed a zoom function...

Honorable mentions go to
-Shadow of the Colossus- for sheer elegant brilliance of design
-Fallout:New Vegas- for modernizing my favorite RPG franchise and treating it with the respect it deserves. Also, am I the only one who coughs *bullshit* when people accuse it of railroading? My first character headed north out of Goodsprings and made it to Vegas as a level 3. I just had to sneak.
-Neverwinter Nights- because D20... and Baldur's Gate came out in '98.
-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic- Also because D20 (though it could have been so much better as a proper Star Wars D20 game... but I digress), and for making the first great Star Wars plot twist since Empire.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I want to say something like Arcanum, KOTOR, or Shadow of the Colossus, because then I'd look sophisticated, but I honestly think The Witcher 2 was the best game in the past 10 years. I had to make more painful choices in that game than in all the Bioware games I've ever played (which is to say, all of them past 1998) combined. Also, it has a great story, gorgeous environments, multi-dimensional characters, and a world in which you can try your best to do the right thing, but still be forced to see good people suffer unjustly and be unable to save all of them. A much more mature game than the ones Bioware shells out.

If we go past the decade a bit, to 2000, I'd say Baldur's Gate 2 is almost tied with Witcher 2. I'd be hard pressed to find novels I consider to be of the same caliber as those games, and for me, that's saying a lot.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Half-Life 2 (+ episodes).

Had it covered the year 2000, then Baldur's Gate 2 would have taken the price, because that game is simply priceless.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I like ho this thread opens the door for anyone else to do other threads such as Best Game of 1990 - 2000, 1980 - 1990, etc...

Anyway, to answer the thread proper...Well I guess I shouldn't yet since 2011 isn't over yet. Tell you what I will do though, I'll tweak the timeline to 2000 - 2010 and pick on of those games, kay?

My Game of the Decade is going to be 2004's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It did everything the original Saint's Row did plus a little bit more (like being able to lock onto targets and one-shot kill cars). I also loved the RPG features, which allowed you to play as Action Hank one minute then turn CJ into The Notorious B.I.G. The missions were a bit tougher than Vice City and 3 but they were all doable and once done you feel pretty accomplished. The only criticism is how driving-heavy the game is, with a ton of races that you really can't skip. I've also had a lot of trouble getting my driving stats to increase but that's probably just me.

Runners up and, notable games of the last decade include the Max Payne series, Pokemon series, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and DS, Obscure, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Guilty Gear X, Bully, Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Budakai 3, Saint's Row and 2 and, many MANY others.

Khitchary

May 20, 2010
Idk when it came out, but it broke all other types of gaming for me. DotA.on a side note my favourite game recently is orks must die (dota was a map on wc3 so idk if it counts as a game).

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I've been gaming since I was five, so I guess I could still vote.

TF2. Yeah. Play it literally everyday since I got it, almost 1000 total hours.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Mmmmm probably would have to be KOTOR 1; I really, really, really liked it.
Shogun: Total War, Oblivion and Dawn of War would all be pretty close behind I think.

kieranwilson32

Mar 26, 2011
My favourite is Assassin's Creed 2. I would consider the best to be Half-Life 2. I do feel kind of guilty for not picking HL2 as my favourite.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
10 years? Are you kidding? I couldnt even name THIS years best game... :\ I dont know how to choose.... :'(

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Toss up between three recent games: Kane & Lynch: Dog Days, Yakuza 4 and Batman: Arkham City.

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
Psychonauts is definitely a contender.

That, or Worms World Party. It has been an infinite source of entertainment, both online, LAN and single player, and my friends and I still play it at LAN parties to this very day.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I think it will change on Friday but It's Oblivion at the moment. I could get lost in that game like no other.