For those been in a few fights or martial artists-

Milkatron

Jul 18, 2008
Neutralize them in as few moves as possible, be that nad-kicking or pinning them or something else, just try and be quick about it.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
By "helicopter figther" you mean they use the well know martial art of Crazy?

Well... Throw crap at them (something heavy like a brick) Then go in for the attack.

But for real; Crazy fighters usually have no skill they just swing violently and hope every attack lands a blow. Psycoligally, they belive in the "one hit KO system" that if they hit the person one time the fight's over, they won even if they don't really knock anyone out. The Best thing I would do, is let him swing, keep some distance so that he does not hit you, let him tire out a bit and also give him the idea that he's "In control," then when the moment rises...go low, tackle force (knees would be my target) get him off his feet and on the ground and do whatever feels right.

metalmmaniac said:
i'd say if they won't stop swinging, take out their legs and bring them to the ground. that outta stop the punching long enough to give you the upper hand.
Pretty much what this guy said for that last part.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
0.o hmm...

You have already negated the most obvious answer - 'Ranged weaponry,' and I will avoid the more tedious attempts at humor (no air strikes or artillery barrages.)

You can't talk them down.

You can't intimidate them.

You can't get too close (unless you can develop your style to specifically counter manic assaults.)

Draw them into an area where their style is no longer effective; A narrow hallway, a tight alley way, or a stair well.

EDIT:

Well Gits and shiggles guys... is a foot to the balls the ONLY answer we have available to us? Do you think OP hadn't thought of that?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
When I do have a fight, I just duck and dodge and block until the other guy stop giving a shit.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Wait for the first flail, cushion it, hold it, reverse the angle and watch him break his own arm.

Beat a helicopter fighter with plane moves. ;)
Wait...

Is this a 'call in the jet fighter to take out the helicopter' reference?

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
I know it sounds insane but just charge straight at them. It works. They'll be caught off guard for a split second, long enough for you to wrench the weapon out of their hands and throw it away or knock them to the ground at which point you use your knees to pin them down at the shoulders. Now you have two options: wait for them to calm down (which doesn't often work as they lash out as soon as you let them go) or knock them out.

Failing that, your friends will probably come along and drag you off, kicking and screaming, making sure nothing else happens...

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Generally people who do that have no skill at all. You referred to them as "helicopter fighters" by that I assume you mean they take big slow strong swings.

Mate, they are the easiest. Just get out of their punch range and give them a back kick to the guts. From there they are your *****

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
SmartIdiot said:
I know it sounds insane but just charge straight at them. It works. They'll be caught off guard for a split second, long enough for you to wrench the weapon out of their hands and throw it away or knock them to the ground at which point you use your knees to pin them down at the shoulders. Now you have two options: wait for them to calm down (which doesn't often work as they lash out as soon as you let them go) or knock them out.

Failing that, your friends will probably come along and drag you off, kicking and screaming, making sure nothing else happens...
Is a battle cry advise?

Feb 13, 2008
dietpeachsnapple said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Wait for the first flail, cushion it, hold it, reverse the angle and watch him break his own arm.

Beat a helicopter fighter with plane moves. ;)
Wait...

Is this a 'call in the jet fighter to take out the helicopter' reference?
Maaaaaaybe.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
dietpeachsnapple said:
SmartIdiot said:

Is a battle cry advise?
Ehhh........ optional.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Never fought someone like that.
The few fights I've been in (and those were just schoolyard fights, mind you) I just threw people to the ground. (hooray for judo)
I would most likely get thrashed by some psychotic ************ who also happens to have a blunt object.

Apache2142

Aug 25, 2009
Use sweeping leg kicks or distance yourself until they tire out. (They will eventually get fatigued then you strike)

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
Just train a lot on low kicks for keeping them at distance and to cripple them or if you're fast break their nose with a fast punch.

In general don't use punches at the head area, it's pretty hard, unless you're used to training against solid walls, the chance of breaking your own wrists is too high.
Target the softer spots instead, so that's neck, liver, stomach and groin

Also train your knees and elbows, for close combat if they do charge at you.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
Ive taken Jin Jung kwan Hapkido for 3 years id say if u had to fight someone who was swing wildly with no way of predicting what hes going to do, then its likely the other person has no idea of what hes doing either, This type of person wouldn't be aiming at u with any precision and pretty much just trying to hit the general area ur head or chest is. I'd suggest going for a lower attack like sweeping the legs, i wouldnt expect someone who was flailing to be able to protect himeself from that

Safety 3rd

Dec 7, 2009
While i've been in a few fights i'd much rather talk my way out of them.

However, should you be faced with a rather angry person, with no training as indeed, i do not have, i find punching them rather less effective than say holding on to his ear and falling to the ground, nobody likes to fight with half an ear. Failing this, kick him in the bollocks (the old failsafe) and make sure he's down before running like a madman.

Biting peoples faces works too, that really does scare people, but it is also the easist way to lose your teeth lol.

I guess unpredictablilty is the key, as a great man once said;

"The aim in a fight is to get the other person on the ground long enough for you to run away, how you acheive this is just decoration"

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
In the scenario where you're faced with a guy that's flailing his arms around, distance is key. Get a good space between him and you. Then you duck, crawl slightly forward and rise while still moving towards him, then punch. At this point, a ball of blue fire should sprout from your hands, proppelling towards your opponent, and allowing you to hit him without getting close. Repeat as many times as needed.

TheMatt

Jan 26, 2009
I wanna make a video called "When nerds attack". 4 times throughout highschool so called "nerds" beat the piss of "popular" people for picking on them. They just channeled their inner nerd rage went all super saiyan and beat the snot out of them. It was AWESOME.

There is no defence. They are a force of nature at that point.

maybe jiu-jitsu... no one can keep fighting in a peruvian neck tie....

chemicalfire

Nov 10, 2009
It's always different based upon the art you are studying. For me, I've trained to always make the first move if I know a person is hostile. If they come up behind me and mollywomp me over the back of the head, their isn't much for me to do. However, if I know the guy wants a fight, the first instance his body trembles I'll launch my attack. As for blocking....it's a waste of time. Why block when you can just find the opening in his attack? If the way is free, go forward. If the way is not free, make the opening.

EDIT: Also, distance is never a good thing. It gives your opponent room to work. The closer you are to them, the less damage their attack will do. If a person throws a punch and you step into it before the punch can gain momentum, you just killed their punch. The trick is to train in extremely close distance damaging techniques so that you are at an advantage when up close.