For those been in a few fights or martial artists-

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Jeet Kun Do says "swift sidekick to knee as he steps towards you"

Side of foot + your full body weight focussed onto his knee taking his full body weight = no more walking :D

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
Wicky_42 said:

Side of foot + your full body weight focussed onto his knee taking his full body weight = no more walking :D
Bruce Lee hadn't trained in Muay Thai

use the above but use your "shin" as opposed to the side of your foot. That way if the kick is checked you dont break part of your foot ;)

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
PxDn Ninja said:
I agree, was referring to how you throw them to the ground. If the guy is 6'2" 280lbs of muscle, and you are 5'8" 125lbs, a simple throw will be harder to pull off, especially if he is trained in any way. If you know how to use their momentum and such, then it isn't as bad, but always something to consider.

Besides, if he is as big as I just described, I'll definitely be dodging more than blocking, but dodging and evasion is my strength. If you can take damage from blocking (god that sounded like I play a lot of games lol), then again not as important.

Really need to know what styles the OP is trained in and what he prefers to do in a fight other than "just win".

Personally, I have studied a little bit of Kung-Fu, and Brazilian Jujitsu, and a good bit of just street fighting when I was younger. Hell, if he studies Tai kwon do, kicking the enemy legs out would be a better tactic.
I agree; getting someone on the ground when they've got that much mass isn't incredibly easy (unless, like some people, they put all their weight into their attacks). Do you use real-life quicktime events? Jokes.

And yeah, his style is important. Somebody trained in Krav Maga will react in a different fashion than somebody trained in Jujutsu.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
the_maestro_sartori said:
Wicky_42 said:

Bruce Lee hadn't trained in Muay Thai

use the above but use your "shin" as opposed to the side of your foot. That way if the kick is checked you dont break part of your foot ;)
Hit his knee with your shin?! Geez, without conditioning you're not going to enjoy that much, plus you have to be that much closer. Against a windmiller you're probably not going to have to worry about kicks being checked or any such complications. The whole point of it is to catch them off guard anyway.
But yeah, Muay Thai kicks ass - if you're trained in it ;)

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
BlakBladz said:
Im a studying martial artist (4 years now) and ive been in more then my fair share of fights, but my question is, how do you defeat the helicopter fighters-the psychos, the ones that are angry nd dont have anything to lose. They swing nd swing more often then not with a weapon.
How do you overcome these people without waiting for them to tire out?

Please dont say something along the lines of "avoid all fights" or "use a gun" or anything to that equivalent.

From A (meaning 1) past experience i was badly hit though i was extremely lucky nd got a punch in that knocked him out.
You want to go for things that cripple their momentum. Punching them in the throat, stomach or getting wrist control and moving circles around them does it fairly easily enough. If you're on the floor and they've got mount, keep your arms together and either do wide shuffles (use your legs to the highest leverage you can) to wriggle free, or drag your foot over their back for an easy gogoplata.

I swear, the gogoplata is the fucking ace up your sleeve if you can do it right.

chewy21

Oct 29, 2008
I haven't been "trained" in any martial art (because I don't think one summer of Taekwondo when I was 12 counts), but I have been in several fights; more than most people that I know. In my experience, you rarely step back and consider technique if you're mad enough to fight someone. And if someone else is mad enough to fight you in the manner you described ("helicopter fighter"... I like it!), then they definitely aren't either.

As a general rule, I tend to want to get lower than my opponent. Someone flailing around at you with big arcing punches or a table leg is more than likely continuously moving in your direction, and since we don't often walk while swinging things with all of our strength, your opponent will likely be off-balance. It's a simple matter, then, to get below one of these "rage swings" and take your opponent down. Again, if you're mad enough to fight, you're not gonna be thinking about the best or coolest-looking way to do this, but get to the legs and you'll find a way. From the ground, the angry "helicopter" has no room to swing and can't do anything but writhe around (assuming you think to jump on them or land a nasty kick while they're down). Sometimes this is all it takes to end a fight, as after realizing that their anger isn't going to win the fight, they'll back off and talk about whatever caused the tussle.

Again, I'm not trained at all. This is just from personal experience, so take with a grain of salt.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
I don't know, I'd try and take out their legs and get them to the ground. I'm assuming this isn't a mugging or a fight where I'm in fear for my life. Either way when they're on the ground, any available balls will be kicked. I will then contact authorities.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I'd get some distance between us, so I have as many options available as possible. Then, most likely, I'll disregard all options and just jump straight into the air and punch him with the momentum I gain from that.

Drakenforge

Aug 18, 2009
Heres a golden rule I learned from brawling: Never hit a gut in the face a second time. The pain from both attacks with cause him to go numb.

Tried and tested. Aim for the solar plexis whenever possible. It has more chances of flooring a guy than hitting his knees.

If someone initiats a fight by pissing you off behind you back, turn around, take a big step back, and trhough all your weight into your main fist and hit him square in the stomach. Then, dance man. Flow like the water.

And then kick him in the nuts. It's just so effective. If he IS a berserker, well, run. By this point he can't say you lost the fight. When in doubt, proclaim yourself the winner.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
get them to charge at you, since they are angry and all (they would probably do this themself) move out of the way at the last seccod and "direct" there punch downwards (you dont really need to touch there are just well aim it to put there arm down and it should work), if done rightly they should fall over giving a good enougth opening (without most supprises) to escape or destroy.

Or duck (hands and knees) at the last seccond (ok sounds cheep) you have to time this presicelly so he doesnt get a chance to react, and if he does grab the back (near the middle) of his legs and stand up quickly (i mean very quickly, not the best of positions to be hanging around in for to long).
(i forget the names of the ones above, so thats just a brief description)

Or more simply just throw them somewhat.

chewy21

Oct 29, 2008
Hubilub said:
I'd get some distance between us, so I have as many options available as possible. Then, most likely, I'll disregard all options and just jump straight into the air and punch him with the momentum I gain from that.
You've obviously never been in a serious fight. Sorry, but SHO-RYU-KEN is not a viable option, especially against someone angry enough to fight in the way the OP describes.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
BlakBladz said:
How do you overcome these people without waiting for them to tire out?
In my experience (which is fairly minimal, as I do my best to avoid fights), responding in kind usually works. If someone pulls a weapon, they have just given you license to do whatever the hell you like to them. As soon as an aggressive or belligerent person reaches for their pocket, either run or clock 'em with whatever punch suits you. If they're unarmed but still attacking you, just try to hit them with as much as you can before they do the same to you. Four years of karate training have taught me one thing: Long, complicated techniques and forms count for very little in a proper fight. Strength, balance, hand speed, and good peripheral vision will do a lot more for your survival. With all that said, martial arts does give you a good knowledge of weak spots on the body, and how to hit them. It does also help with all the things I mentioned above.

In short: Just hit them hard, hit them fast, and try not to get hurt too badly in the process. And for the love of all that's good and holy, keep it simple.

Mind you, I'd still consider the ability to run very fast when needed the most important self-defense skill of all. Sometimes you just can't win, and group fights just aren't a good idea. A group of knife-wielding drunk fellas will get even the best martial artists, because they can drag you down and kick you to death.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
I've got quite a lot of experience in dealing with violent crackheads. Just let them come at you. If you've really studied martial arts for 4 years, dodging, blocking and evading hits should be easy. The blindly smashing berserkers don't often have much in the way of tactics.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Toaster Hunter said:
Aim for the throat or groin and never fight fair. If they give you a finger, bend it in a way its not supposed to go. Keep it simple. And never kick the head. You will fall over and look like an idiot.
this is actually a good point, a kick to the head, though it migth look great, it is not a very good option in any figth, unless your opponent is tired. It is very easy to loose balance when you do it.

Jammerz

Nov 2, 2009
Well, from my experience, the take down is the most important thing 'cos once they're on the ground there relatively helpless