Fox News Attacks NEA for Classifying Games as Art

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
trooperpaul said:
Get a drink, watch Fox News, and take a sip every time they lie, blow something out of proportion, or use strawman attacks. My record was 20 minutes conscious.
You must have Herculean alcohol tolerance levels.

Keybladeking57

Mar 8, 2011
What's really sad is that my dad thinks fox news is actually fair and balanced... I've given up trying to convince him otherwise

alex2212

May 17, 2011
Everyone knows that Fox News is just hype and bluster. Anyway, this is obviously a skewed perspective - it doesn't change what we know in our hearts to be true about games. Let them say what they want, the real power is in our hands, as consumers and fans.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Fun Fact: FOX news have [repeatedly] photoshop'd images of officials to make them adhere to the stereotypes of their respective ethnicities.

Seriously FOX news needs to stop. Guns, bombs whatever is needed to stop FOX is totally justified: they're liars; they spread hate; they're racist and they're owned by newscorp.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Ace IV said:
Fox didn't do anything wrong, they had a debate. Your ire should be directed at the dude who was arguing against video games as art, not FNC itself.
A debate involves two or more participants using reasoned argumentation to make a case. In this case, only one participant came to have a debate. The really sad thing is that fox has opportunities to create fora for deliberation and they use those opportunities to set up shouting matches.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
So? If gaming's opposition ever uses these "facts" in a serious debate they will get their asses handed to them.

Way to arm your viewers with the power of ignorance, Faux! It gives us more ways to prove them wrong, and consequently laugh at them.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
Ace IV said:
ZeroMachine said:
Ace IV said:
Fox didn't do anything wrong, they had a debate. Your ire should be directed at the dude who was arguing against video games as art, not FNC itself.
They set up the debate so the guy opposing video games would ignore every point the other guy made. Fox is just as much at fault for this as that asshole radio guy.
They set up the debate so people could hear a different point of view. The dude from FNC never took a side, as good reporters don't. Stop blaming Fox for reporting the news in an honest way
They titled the debate "should Call of Duty get federal funding" they set the stage in the radio host favor and you know it.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Ace IV said:
ZeroMachine said:
Ace IV said:
They set up the debate so the guy opposing video games would ignore every point the other guy made. Fox is just as much at fault for this as that asshole radio guy.
They set up the debate so people could hear a different point of view. The dude from FNC never took a side, as good reporters don't. Stop blaming Fox for reporting the news in an honest way
Did you ever listen to how they introduced the segment? They introduced it by twisting it to sound bad already: "Should the videogame Call of Duty get federal funding?"

There's an obvious bias there, and Fox News is KNOWN for shit like this. I don't get why you're defending them.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Read this article. Watched the video.

This article seemed to be just as biased as the supposed video.
Heres the thing: It wasn't so much as 'Games aren't Art' so much as it was 'Games shouldn't be funded by the Gov't when there are better things we can do with our money'. I can agree with the latter.

The radio host admittedly wasn't very educated on the industry, and the moderator's opening statements about 'Should the gov't pay money for call of duty' are most certainly outlandish. That said, there's kinda a point to it.

Games are art. Thats my opinion.
However to a point I agree: We shouldn't cut 'legitimate' business to help an industry that is growing plenty on its own, especially where lack of cash for indy developers isn't a problem. Or at least its slowly become less of a problem.

So basically, theres more being blown outta proportion here than just the news video itself. In addition, does this really effect the average reader of this site? Unless you ALL are indy developers this commentary will not effect you. Nor will it effect the average Fox News viewer.
I sincerely doubt someone saw that and immediately phoned their local senator to try and change said bill.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This line is either ignorantly or intentionally manipulative, which in either case is extremely disappointing coming from one of the nation's most popular news outlets.
You say that as if people expect anything more from Fox News. When have they ever put research into a subject that didn't further their own agenda?

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
I challenge the second to last sentence of this article. All games are art and ignorance of this only causes more confusion for people on the outside looking in.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Xanthious said:
Outside of FOX News being FOX News and trying to distort the issue claiming commercial titles like Call of Duty would be eligible to receive funding I think there is a valid issue here. I know, as a taxpayer, I see all kinds of wasteful spending going on within the US government. Sure the NEA is probably a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of that wastefulness but it's still, regardless of how small, part of the bigger problem.

Right now we (The U.S) need to cut spending not add to it. Obviously there are much larger targets out there like military spending and foreign aid that I'd argue are the larger parts of the problem, however, waste is waste regardless of the size.

If not for profit organizations want funding there are other ways besides sticking a hand out to the government to get that funding. You can ask for donations and let people choose if they want to support it rather than forcing them to contribute by spending tax dollars on it.

The bottom line is that government waste is at an all time high and it doesn't matter if it's wasting money propping up dictators in the middle east or giving money to organizations like the NEA it's still waste. In light of all this the government should focus it's efforts on cutting spending not increasing it.
Spending and the budget is a non issue here. The NEA doesn't have any more or less funding available to give out. The only difference is that now applying for funding to make a video game doesn't automatically exclude you. Whether or not the NEA should still exist is an entirely different argument.

Frankly what I find most objectionable about this whole piece is that it wasn't even a debate about the artistic merits of video games. It was nothing more than a thinly veiled attack on the National Endowment for the Arts.

trooperpaul

Apr 14, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
trooperpaul said:
Get a drink, watch Fox News, and take a sip every time they lie, blow something out of proportion, or use strawman attacks. My record was 20 minutes conscious.
You have a constitution to rival Dwarves, friend.
Drago-Morph said:
trooperpaul said:
You must have Herculean alcohol tolerance levels.
The funniest part? it wasn't even alcohol. I passed out from sugar overdose. . .
OT: Stop feeding the trolls, don't put Fox on this site.