FREE!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
THEY DON'T HAVE NIPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES!!!

Why, why Japanese animaters? It freaks me out!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Seracen said:
Legion said:
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

I really wish I was joking, but there are such people who take issue with it.
Most likely b/c they saw it, expecting it to be another school drama-comedy, like 90% of the cookie cutter crap out there, and had an "IT'S A TRAP" moment.
Nah, it's more about "They just simply do not want anime catered to the fujoshis".

Before KyoAni released the "demo" swimming commercial, the only thing that was confirmed to be adapted was "Kyoukai no Kanata. Then out of nowhere FREE! was confirmed to be aired before the former. Then there was a statement from the director about how she loves male sculpted bodies, and finally we have the outrage.

Besides that Free is a decent Slice of Life anime, it doesn't go too silly with the "fanservice". But one thing for sure, there are MANY face to face talks between males.

Edit: Kyoukai no Kanata is a Dark fantasy story, something unusual from KyoAni's anime trend.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I just laughed when watching it. Despite i'm a male, the way they tried to capture the males and their bodies was over the top.
As for the comic, I liked Erin's excuse to not watch this in subtitles. But in some animes, you really do need subtitles to understand things especially plot wise.

Or how one of the main characters from Attack on Titan can get this-

*Spits water* Look at Mikasa on the left. Holy crap is she ripped!! I mean, usually I am used to seeing female characters having skinny, bodies that are portrayed to be the usual 'fit' look. But Mikasa man... it's no joke she's got stuff going for her.

I'm not showing this because it's a "OH GOD SO SEXY" thing. Rather, i'm deeply fascinated by this. Not only is she quite ripped, but most females in the anime are very on par with the males and don't do anything to make the audience feel like it's fan service otherwise. I love the anime because it really treats every character with care.

Also I am aware that in real life, females can get ripped; that it isn't a bad thing ether. Just amazing to see in an anime since again most female characters don't get featured in such a way like Mikasa.
That's true but i'd argue that's due to the fact fan service would just feel out of place in a show were half the cast get eaten... which is weird because I think it works in Highschool of the Dead. Fan service is great as a style option, it's when it effecs the plot that warnings start to go off in my head. Granted it can still make things difficult for some people to watch and thats fine, I generally think that Highschool of the Dead is one of the most suspensful animes i've ever watched. If someone can't deal with all those boobies though thats understandable.

I actually watched the first ep of Free! and it's not bad, hell if anything the fanservice made me laugh, THOSE CAMERA ANGLES!!!

Also, in Attack on Titan each character is CONSTANTLY moving, i'm not surprised they're all ripped.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I'd say something about the fanservice, but I'm more glad that I'm part of the sport that's being sexualized! :D

Hopefully that'll happen to me too! :3

And no straw people! Even more good things

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Fappy said:
Legion said:
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

Are you serious?! Usually female fanservice is hilarious! Just look at Jojo's Bizarre Adventure... okay, to be fair that panders to the alpha male in us all as well XD
No kidding. Those guys are walking tanks.

silverhawk100

Dec 17, 2009
knight steel said:
For those wanting more information on what this is referencing have a look at this Amv:
To all the female escapist out there I have a question-do you find this sexy/Attractive/a turn on and if so why?
So I've been watching this video every time it's been replied to... maybe I need to go watch the anime.

And it's funny, because Yaoi/Bara does almost nothing for me. Must be the music. Yeah. That's what I'm gonna go with.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
geizr said:
Hmm, fan-service that targets females, for once. To be honest, I don't have a problem with this. Human beings are sexual creatures; the objectification goes both ways (look at some of the romance novels in book stores). I actually did a little research a while back into the whole portrayal of women thing, and some of the sites I ran into had some interesting counter-points from what I perceive as the feminine view (i.e. women like looking at beef-cake just as much as men like looking at cheese-cake).
This. I don't give a shit about a show that's fanservice for ladies. Because I like fairness in my media. Jim Sterling said it best, "All games should have a setting where you can put the men in chainmail bikinis instead of the girls, or one where you put them all in regular plate armor if you're feeling prudish" Girls should get fanservice too, and the fact that a show sells itself on the fanservice is fine.

I won't watch it, because fucking look at it, but I'm fine with it's existence.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
SquidSponge said:
Funnily enough, that was my initial interpretation too.

By watching a little bit of anime I've picked up a word or two, but I have wondered in the past about those who watch a lot more than me, whether it's possible/practical to pick up conversational fluency just by exposure to anime etc.

It's like a Russian student I once met, she supposedly taught herself English (to the standard where she was successfully studying for a maths degree in England) entirely through watching American films. I always meant to ask her about it, but I haven't seen her in a long time. She was pretty good too - I occasionally had to define the more obscure words I often come out with, but then, I have to do that with the natives sometimes too.
Well, they say that the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. It probably wouldn't be as effective as dropping yourself in the middle of Tokyo but I bet it would work.

Chupracabra

Sep 24, 2013
Legion said:

Who ever said it wasn't fan-service for guys? Girls never enter the equation, studios feel much more confident marketing to gay/bi men than to women.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
RyQ_TMC said:
Hah, I am in no way imune to "fanservice"; I imagine cute and sexy girls are as atractive to me as they are to any straight male! I was (and still am) too shy to shower after gym class, but I'll admit that I'd always go trough the wardrobe after and sneak a peek at this one girl I really liked... Yes, I'm a terrible person X3.

Mister Chippy said:
"I watch if for the plot." has basically become code for "DAT ASS!"
Very true =p. It only becomes funny to tease people about the fanservice when they desperately deny liking it.

BX3 said:
Ehh, as a straight dude, while the story is about a flat as you'd expect, it is pretty funny, so your friends aren't completely lying.

But yeah, it's mostly about the chiseled swimming dudes.
Fair enough, but they still blush and get all defensive when I mention it. I can't help but tease them, it's just too funny X3.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
PunkRex said:
That's true but i'd argue that's due to the fact fan service would just feel out of place in a show were half the cast get eaten... which is weird because I think it works in Highschool of the Dead. Fan service is great as a style option, it's when it effecs the plot that warnings start to go off in my head. Granted it can still make things difficult for some people to watch and thats fine, I generally think that Highschool of the Dead is one of the most suspensful animes i've ever watched. If someone can't deal with all those boobies though thats understandable.

I actually watched the first ep of Free! and it's not bad, hell if anything the fanservice made me laugh, THOSE CAMERA ANGLES!!!

Also, in Attack on Titan each character is CONSTANTLY moving, i'm not surprised they're all ripped.
I've tried watching Highschool of the Dead... it was actually neat but yeah it's not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it as you said, just some things can rub people off the wrong way. Also yeah I too, don't mind fan service despite I find it funny rather then sexual... however if it interferes with the plot then that's a big nono.

But you know what's worse then fan service? Fillers. I can't stand them. They tend to totally brush the plot aside for whatever it is and though only certain filler arcs were cool to me- most of them are pretty awful entirely and overly silly.

Luckily, in a show like Attack on Titan they have mini chibi episodes that don't get in the way, and they're only ONE EPISODE long.
While the other episodes are serious, tense, epic, and just overly beautiful with the animation. I love the anime!!
Also yeah, to fight titans and move around like Tarzan except using Metal Gear you do need to be very fit.
Don't even talk to me about filler, I was there for the dark days that were Naruto 136-220... almost a hundred episodes of NOTHING!!!

Hey, hang on, you're the head or ex-head of Hot Topic Escapists right? You're on my bloody friends list, why do I always forget who you are when I talk to you.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
HA! Very well done today, guys. Now I'm curious if there are any anime series you genuinely LIKE.
Zeetchmen said:
Where are the video games?
Come to think of it, do they still play games at all?

Apr 28, 2008
Legion said:

I heard about this. And for that reason alone I hope this show is (was) hugely successful. I really, really do. Also I'm hoping for a dub at some point. Yes, I'm one of *those* people. The type of uncultured, casual person who can't read the text and follow what's happening on-screen at the same time.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
I'd say something about the fanservice, but I'm more glad that I'm part of the sport that's being sexualized! :D

Hopefully that'll happen to me too! :3

And no straw people! Even more good things
Aren't you already sexualised enough?

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
SkarKrow said:
That's in the funny sexualizing, not the actual type that I want...

I mean, I wouldn't mind the harassing; it's publicity! :D

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
SkarKrow said:
That's in the funny sexualizing, not the actual type that I want...

I mean, I wouldn't mind the harassing; it's publicity! :D
Surely your crispy shell and spicy beef-like filling gets you all the ladies?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
PunkRex said:
Don't even talk to me about filler, I was there for the dark days that were Naruto 136-220... almost a hundred episodes of NOTHING!!!

Hey, hang on, you're the head or ex-head of Hot Topic Escapists right? You're on my bloody friends list, why do I always forget who you are when I talk to you.
.. Oi, I remembered you though. *starts to tear*

Lol. All seriousness now, I do remember you. It's cool if people don't remember me. Apart from the fillers, yea... those were the dark times. I feel Naruto went downhill when one of the filler episodes had a talking ostrich kicking the crap out of the Naruto team. It was a filler after Pein destroyed Konoha.

That was so painful to watch, I simply just turned off the computer afterwards.
You know what's WORSE then fillers? When the anime just ends out of the blue like Inuyasha did despite so much was unresolved with the antagonist Naraku being alive and all. Oh boy the outcries to that...
*Looks at his avatar* I know that feel... it wasn't an anime but... yeah.

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
SkarKrow said:
Surely your crispy shell and spicy beef-like filling gets you all the ladies?
You would have thought so, but apparently it's not

Maybe I'm losing my touch...

I should look like the fan-servicing anime dudes