FREE!

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Kaimax said:
Seracen said:
Legion said:
You know the saddest and funniest part about the show are male anime fans who freak out over the fan-service for girls.

I really wish I was joking, but there are such people who take issue with it.
Most likely b/c they saw it, expecting it to be another school drama-comedy, like 90% of the cookie cutter crap out there, and had an "IT'S A TRAP" moment.
Nah, it's more about "They just simply do not want anime catered to the fujoshis".

Before KyoAni released the "demo" swimming commercial, the only thing that was confirmed to be adapted was "Kyoukai no Kanata. Then out of nowhere FREE! was confirmed to be aired before the former. Then there was a statement from the director about how she loves male sculpted bodies, and finally we have the outrage.

Besides that Free is a decent Slice of Life anime, it doesn't go too silly with the "fanservice". But one thing for sure, there are MANY face to face talks between males.

Edit: Kyoukai no Kanata is a Dark fantasy story, something unusual from KyoAni's anime trend.
Ah. Well, I don't care for slice of life, especially since EVERYTHING seems to be that or moe (or both), and I've always been partial to engaging, overarching plots.

As for Free, the girls can have it, as the guys keep getting stuff like High School DxD and HSotD. It's only fair.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
I don't get the point of the comic here. Erin enjoys some eye candy...ok?
What else is there to get? As the meme goes, "that was the joke."
As far as jokes go though, it isn't funny. If they took the time to draw and ink things, sort of thought it might be a bit more funny. Or at least have something more to it for discussion/insightfulness. -shrug-

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:
I count more than four.
The point still applies, the hate is very exaggerated.
Luckily, I have a secret weapon on my side for dealing with just such a situation. I found it while on a dig in a remote part of Africa. It's called a "brain". In this case, since I know that (1) I am male, (2) I like anime, (3) I am straight, and (4) I don't hate Free!, my brain is able to conclude that not all men who like anime hate Free!.
You are on the Internet. You should know already that not everyone has a brain or, at least, can't use it properly.

Meanwhile, that site was so concerned about people misconstruing their intentions they changed their name from "Male Otaku Mad About Free!" to just "Mad About Free!".
The very first thing you may read when you enter that page is

The best selection of quality entitled whinging from men who take personal offense to an anime not being aimed at them. Submissions are welcomed!
Again, most intelligent people would understand that "some" mean take personal offense (and not many of them either). But some would just extrapolate that EVERY men does. Then they would tell that to someone else, and the snowball starts. In the end, every time a man says "I don't like this anime because of reasons", it *must* be because he's a closeted homophobe! Or so I've been told.

My point (and the point of this whole argument) is that the haters aren't as numerous as it may look, or as tumblr may tell you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
As far as jokes go though, it isn't funny.
To you. I don't find Daniel Tosh funny, but they gave him a TV show. I don't find South Park funny, but they've animated that for years and years.

It seems like you're commenting that they shouldn't have done it because it is not pandering to you. If you don't like it, maybe just don't read it. Or even better: make your own webcomic.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
As far as jokes go though, it isn't funny.
To you. I don't find Daniel Tosh funny, but they gave him a TV show. I don't find South Park funny, but they've animated that for years and years.

It seems like you're commenting that they shouldn't have done it because it is not pandering to you. If you don't like it, maybe just don't read it. Or even better: make your own webcomic.
Tosh is a clip show, they could have given it to a clapping seal for what he contributes I imagine, and south park does sort of promote discussion on current events, topical if not funny.
I was asking what the point was in case I missed something here. I never said it couldn't exist or had to pander to me, please don't be so disingenuous to assume that was what I meant. It was a comic stating the obvious, right after ones with at least some discussion to be had from them. I'm sorry if asking what the point was made it feel as some sort of attack or what have you.
As for making my own, glad to see you changed your tune about that as a reply. As it happens I support a number of webcomics through being a frequent visitor, contributing to their forums and even occasionally donating or buying stuff from them. It is nice of you to have realized the point of "make your own" as a general idea for supporting what you want to exist rather then idly whining about something you don't want to exist, though I wish you'd have been more able to understand confusion for a current choice is not a damnation for the entire product. In fact it is because of the usual topical and/or funny nature of the comic, that this being just so "meh" confused me. I still don't get, not as a "it is not funny, boo" sort of way, but in a more "how is that funny in the first place?" sort of overall question.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Ukomba said:
And High School Host Club comes on right after it. ;)
I loved Ouran High School Host Club, and I'm not the least bit attracted towards men.

There might be something wrong with me. :p

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
I love the animation, though obviously the story is just fluff (also...where are their nipples?). Don't quite understand all the male otakus acting like anime has been destroyed forever because some fanservice for women (packaged into a cutesy story about friendship and achieving your goals) and is quite popular. You know.. as opposed to male fanserivce in moe, hentai titles and just general ecchi/boobs all over most of the medium (even when it's completely unnecessary) ....but dats totaly diffrnt u guize blarg, suppressed angsty rage, blarg.

I've just come to accept that the gaming/otaku community is dominated by people who live on reactionary, knee-jerk rage.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
JediMB said:
Ukomba said:
And High School Host Club comes on right after it. ;)
I loved Ouran High School Host Club, and I'm not the least bit attracted towards men.

There might be something wrong with me. :p
No, no. It's not bad. Just because the fan service doesn't cater to you doesn't mean you can't like the show. I mention it because the show it's self is just one giant, self aware, female fan service extravaganza.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Johanthemonster666 said:
Don't quite understand all the male otakus acting like anime has been destroyed forever
Dr. Cakey said:
Luckily, I have a secret weapon on my side for dealing with just such a situation. I found it while on a dig in a remote part of Africa. It's called a "brain". In this case, since I know that (1) I am male, (2) I like anime, (3) I am straight, and (4) I don't hate Free!, my brain is able to conclude that not all men who like anime hate Free!.
I don't know why I even try.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
wAriot said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
Don't quite understand all the male otakus acting like anime has been destroyed forever
Dr. Cakey said:
Because you want to convince everybody there wasn't really a problem when there actually was a problem?

As much as you want to pretend it was all exaggerated to make guys look bad, it wasn't.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
wAriot said:
Johanthemonster666 said:
Dr. Cakey said:
If you think that sentence means all male otakus, you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Windknight said:
Because you want to convince everybody there wasn't really a problem when there actually was a problem?

As much as you want to pretend it was all exaggerated to make guys look bad, it wasn't.
The very very tiny percentage of people that actually bashed on the anime doesn't mean that the thousands that just didn't like it are like them.
Where is the problem? That a small group of stupid people made some homophobic comments, *on the internet*?!

Grey Carter said:
If you think that sentence means all male otakus, you really need to work on your reading comprehension.
I know what he meant. But some people may not. Some people that don't know much about anime, or its culture in general, may think that yes, ALL male otakus insulted Free!, its creators and their mothers. And I don't like that, because as a male otaku I've been called an homophobe just because I didn't enjoy this anime.

All I'm saying is that those kind of comments, unknowingly, DO make guys look bad, even if that wasn't the intention.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
wAriot said:
Grey Carter said:
I know what he meant. But some people may not. Some people that don't know much about anime, or its culture in general, may think that yes, ALL male otakus insulted Free!, its creators and their mothers. And I don't like that, because as a male otaku I've been called an homophobe just because I didn't enjoy this anime.

All I'm saying is that those kind of comments, unknowingly, DO make guys look bad, even if that wasn't the intention.
So what you wanted him to say was, "Don't quite understand the indeterminate quantity of otaku - some but not all of whom are or identify as male - acting like anime has been destroyed forever. Please note that fans of anime can be of any gender and sexual orientation." ?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
wAriot said:
Windknight said:

The very very tiny percentage of people that actually bashed on the anime doesn't mean that the thousands that just didn't like it are like them.
Where is the problem? That a small group of stupid people made some homophobic comments, *on the internet*?!

Grey Carter said:
I know what he meant. But some people may not.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly concerned with the opinions of the illiterate.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
what did i just read? their was no satire, their was no joke, their was no punchline, thats was terrible.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Grey Carter said:
wAriot said:
Windknight said:

Grey Carter said:
I know what he meant. But some people may not.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly concerned with the opinions of the illiterate.
wow discrimination on the illiterate, wow just wow. I thought you were defending minorities.

now i just need to screen cap this any time you are whiteknighting to show how fake you are

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
what did i just read? their was no satire, their was no joke, their was no punchline, thats was terrible.
the joke is she's not watching the anime for the storyline, but rather for cute sexy boys. :/

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
the joke is she's not watching the anime for the storyline, but rather for cute sexy boys. :/
so where is the satire, joke, or punchline?

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
the punchline is that free is not translated into english, it's purely japanese dub atm, so when her friend is surprised that she speaks japanese: Erin reveals that she actually doesn't, she's just here for the boys.

The joke is in Erin's own shallowness and poking fun at fanservicey anime's in general.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
the punchline is that free is not translated into english, it's purely japanese dub atm, so when her friend is surprised that she speaks japanese: Erin reveals that she actually doesn't, she's just here for the boys.

The joke is in Erin's own shallowness and poking fun at fanservicey anime's in general.
she never once says she doesnt speak japanese she asks her if she wants subtitles and she replies why? there is not i dont speak japanese or anything