FREE!

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
what did i just read? their was no satire, their was no joke, their was no punchline, thats was terrible.
the joke is she's not watching the anime for the storyline, but rather for cute sexy boys. :/
so where is the satire, joke, or punchline?
the punchline is that free is not translated into english, it's purely japanese dub atm, so when her friend is surprised that she speaks japanese: Erin reveals that she actually doesn't, she's just here for the boys.

The joke is in Erin's own shallowness and poking fun at fanservicey anime's in general.
she never once says she doesnt speak japanese she asks her if she wants subtitles and she replies why? there is not i dont speak japanese or anything
/sighs.

regardless, i think you're over-analyzing. The joke is on shallow fanservice-happy anime and how much we enjoy them, and Erin's indication that she's here for the pretty boys. if you don't find it funny that's fine, but regardless: that's the punchline.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
what did i just read? their was no satire, their was no joke, their was no punchline, thats was terrible.
the joke is she's not watching the anime for the storyline, but rather for cute sexy boys. :/
the punchline is that free is not translated into english, it's purely japanese dub atm, so when her friend is surprised that she speaks japanese: Erin reveals that she actually doesn't, she's just here for the boys.

The joke is in Erin's own shallowness and poking fun at fanservicey anime's in general.
she never once says she doesnt speak japanese she asks her if she wants subtitles and she replies why? there is not i dont speak japanese or anything
/sighs.

regardless, i think you're over-analyzing. The joke is on shallow fanservice-happy anime and how much we enjoy them, and Erin's indication that she's here for the pretty boys. if you don't find it funny that's fine, but regardless: that's the punchline.
nowhere does it imply she does or does not know japanese therefore the punchline is lost, how do you know shes just there for the pretty boys, maybe she speaks japanese

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:

/sighs.

nowhere does it imply she does or does not know japanese therefore the punchline is lost, how do you know shes just there for the pretty boys, maybe she speaks japanese
who knows then. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I've stopped caring at this point, and the only reason I'm typing all this out is so I don't get pegged for a low content post.

I think you're just intentionally over-analyzing.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:
chinangel said:
thenoblitt said:

/sighs.

who knows then. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I've stopped caring at this point, and the only reason I'm typing all this out is so I don't get pegged for a low content post.

I think you're just intentionally over-analyzing.
and none of the excuses bad writing

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
thenoblitt said:
Despite the questionable funniness of the joke/comic, I fear you're being deliberately obtuse if you are seriously doubting that the readers are supposed to assume that Erin does not know Japanese.

Her facial expression, simple remark and the subject matter make it pretty clear.

If those visual cues didn't clue you in, then I'm afraid webcomics just may not be for you.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:
So what you wanted him to say was, "Don't quite understand the indeterminate quantity of otaku - some but not all of whom are or identify as male - acting like anime has been destroyed forever. Please note that fans of anime can be of any gender and sexual orientation." ?
I didn't want him to say anything in particular, and certainly I'm not trying to censor anyone; you can say whatever the hell you want. I just want people to realize that sometimes, some comments, as innocent as they may look, can have consequences. If you don't mind those consequences, well, okay. But if you do, maybe, just maybe, next time he'll at least change the wording, no one will misunderstand, and everyone is happier.

Grey Carter said:
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly concerned with the opinions of the illiterate.
I'm sorry, Oh So Clever Grey, that not everyone is as intelligent as You are. But the Internet is used by people from many countries and with different cultures and education levels, so You'd certainly understand if some of them can't fathom the English language very well, or just mistake the actual meaning of a sentence.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
As far as jokes go though, it isn't funny.
To you. I don't find Daniel Tosh funny, but they gave him a TV show. I don't find South Park funny, but they've animated that for years and years.

It seems like you're commenting that they shouldn't have done it because it is not pandering to you. If you don't like it, maybe just don't read it. Or even better: make your own webcomic.
Ah, good old arguments that I see ever since zero punctuation's episode on webcomics.

Do you mind if I screencap this? I want to use it as an argument when discussion of certain topics in video games will appear again.

" If you don't like it, maybe just not by it? Or even better: make your own videogame."

Perfect.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
wAriot said:
Windknight said:
Because you want to convince everybody there wasn't really a problem when there actually was a problem?

As much as you want to pretend it was all exaggerated to make guys look bad, it wasn't.
The very very tiny percentage of people that actually bashed on the anime doesn't mean that the thousands that just didn't like it are like them.
Where is the problem? That a small group of stupid people made some homophobic comments, *on the internet*?!
There was enough to make a very big, loud noise about it. And they did so by being homophobic, misogynistic and, most of all, hypocritical. Admittedly, a lot of it is actually kind of hilarious to point at and laugh at their behavior of how utterly clueless they are, and the complete lack of self awareness they demonstrated. But the fact that a significant chunk of the studios fanbase basically had a massive tantrum over one female fanservice show being made despite all the other male fanservice shows that were made are being made and will be made shows there is a bit of a problem with some elements of the fandom attitude.

Its like all the male comic fans who say women should feel empowered by all the heroines wielding torpedo tits and wearing a bikini into battle, and claim men in comics are just as objectified, but who erupt into a frothing rage in response to actual art of men designed to be sexually attractive to women.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
Tosh is a clip show, they could have given it to a clapping seal for what he contributes I imagine, and south park does sort of promote discussion on current events, topical if not funny.
Which is still dodging the point, but:

I never said it couldn't exist or had to pander to me, please don't be so disingenuous to assume that was what I meant.
See, I thought you had caught on.

As for making my own, glad to see you changed your tune about that as a reply.
Nope. I still think it's inane. I just think you should practice what you preach. And complaining here is the opposite of what you preached. Even if you claim you "support" other comics. But this is nothing new. I get it. "It's different when I do it."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Miroluck said:
Do you mind if I screencap this? I want to use it as an argument when discussion of certain topics in video games will appear again.
Considering this is literally a turn of phrase based on that poster's past argument? One I don't support and have vocally not supported? Go for it, but keep in mind it's quote mining and completely dishonest.

See, I was just asking a proponent of the mentality to put his money where his mouth is. Screencapping this would more or less miss the point. Actually, it would completely miss the point.

But if you really want to screencap it and use it, go for it, I guess.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
But guuuyyssssss!

Societies acceptance of casual watching of men for sexual purposes is a sign of oppression from the matriarchy! And it's hypocritical and a double standard to blarhg blaarrrrgghh.
One of those rare cases where a post is humorously well aimed and simultaneously entirely correct. Well, except for the Matriarchal oppression bit but you know.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
Tosh is a clip show, they could have given it to a clapping seal for what he contributes I imagine, and south park does sort of promote discussion on current events, topical if not funny.
Which is still dodging the point, but:

I never said it couldn't exist or had to pander to me, please don't be so disingenuous to assume that was what I meant.
See, I thought you had caught on.

As for making my own, glad to see you changed your tune about that as a reply.
Nope. I still think it's inane. I just think you should practice what you preach. And complaining here is the opposite of what you preached. Even if you claim you "support" other comics. But this is nothing new. I get it. "It's different when I do it."
Well, you do know that there are other people here, yes? And that perhaps someone else might have an answer as to what the point of the comic is that I might have missed? You know, sort of why I might have asked out loud in the first place.

Not sure what you mean about practicing what I preach though. As I said, I make no claim about it not having a right to exist, I am just confused about it when compared to other pages. "This page is different then others of the same comic, am I missing something?" But since you seem to have already written me off, please feel free to keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel justified. It at least keeps my question out there so someone else may answer it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
But since you seem to have already written me off, please feel free to keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel justified. It at least keeps my question out there so someone else may answer it.
The only sense in which I've "written you off" is in correctly assuming you'll dodge the point every time I bring it up. I'd actually like to be wrong about that, but you routinely appear to argue in bad faith and your argument here, regardless of the silliness of the comic's "right to exist" is still at odds with your prior statements on criticism. That's not "practicing what you preach," right there.

Sep 14, 2009
had to laugh at this, loved how her eyes were completely set on the screen and her logic was "...why would i need to know what they are saying?"

also, not sure if intentional, but her hands are totally down by her female junk area ^o^

reachforthesky

Jun 13, 2010
My first thought when hearing about this show's popularity was "The tables have turned! Finally, I can make fun of GIRLS for THEIR shallow fanservice animes"

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I fail to see the problem. Kate Beckinsale shows up on the screen and my jaw drops.

My wife is entitled to the same fan service, though, usually, it is devote to Hugh Jackman.