Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
QFT.

Read the comments here from Dennis Prager:

He of course is the founder of "PragerU", the non-accredited company producing overtly conservative education materials (that half-heartedly attempts to pass itself off as a university), which Florida recently said schools should be free to use.
You know, I've been very reticent of saying that of course parenting and schooling is indoctrination. That is it's literal purpose. Like, you would HOPE they are being indoctrinated appropriately, that's why we've been doing it that way for centuries

But then, I feel people would just call me a groomer as their version of indoctrination is so limited. The Freedom of Speech is palpable

And this is probably one of the only things I can somewhat agree with Dennis about. But then completely disagree as what constitutes 'good indoctrination'.

Because sentence like 'The Founders knew that slavery was wrong and evil but they had to compromise to unite the states' does not make the Founders good guys. It makes them sound like they are doing identity politics over their own morals. Which is way worse than any 1619 project could say about them

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The tonal whiplash in the Bible, even in the same book, can be very abrasive
It's almost as if "the word of God" is actually just a bunch of rules men set down to force others to live how they wanted, and every man who came along to "translate" it just altered it to suit his own view of how others should be forced to live.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Margot Robbie may be a Barbie girl, but it's not yet a Barbie world. I can't say the ban's fantastic, but then, I'm not made of plastic, so while this seems quite spastic, laws can be elastic, so maybe things will change?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You know, I've been very reticent of saying that of course parenting and schooling is indoctrination. That is it's literal purpose. Like, you would HOPE they are being indoctrinated appropriately, that's why we've been doing it that way for centuries

But then, I feel people would just call me a groomer as their version of indoctrination is so limited. The Freedom of Speech is palpable
Yes. Prager is rhetorically using that definition of indoctrination to obfuscate the fact that PragerU's materials are indoctrination of a sort that schools are ideally not supposed to carry out.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The whole article, short as it is, is wild
I do not have the time now, but I intend to find the full video of that board meeting later and see what was actually said. This is an example of how to be skeptical and critical of news reporting: in both the article and the video at the top, the news chooses to paraphrase the comment about the poster that inspired the article while leaving in verbatim the response to it. That is suspicious journalistic behavior.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Called it.

Also yes I know TYT's Ana Kasprian sucks more on that later.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Irish fascists don't know what cunnilingus or a vulva are. These dipshits are currently paddling a broken rowboat around Ireland to abuse library workers. Thankfully they are in a tiny minority and keep getting confronted by much larger groups of antifascist activists and just passers by sick of their shit.

They were also recently praising the Normans... Y'know the lads that invaded Ireland resulting in 800 years of oppression, a genocide, partition and an apartheid state in the North. They claim to be Republicans but have probably never read a single word written or spoken by the incredibly Marxist James Connolly.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

2,7 millions for a kiss because it disturbs conservatives so much.
I am not condoning homophobia but this was clearly a publicity stunt by Healy to draw attention away from his racist remarks. He's done more harm to LGBT people in Malaysia than if he'd just cancelled his appearance. In my view, this bill is very much deserved.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I do not have the time now, but I intend to find the full video of that board meeting later and see what was actually said.
Found it:

(The agenda item in question starts at the 3 hr 24 min mark).

Transcript as close as I can get it:

President: 9-A, board member requests discussion regarding the presence of personal ideology in schools. I believe this is Ms Dungan's...

Dungan: ...And thankfully I have a summary, just as an introduction as to why and what this agenda item was requested. So I thank you, Mr President, for adding the discussion of ideologies in our schools to tonight's agenda. My purpose in bringing up this topic for discussion is so that we as a board can ensure that every Conroe ISD student is allowed to think freely at school. We can likely all agree that when children are told what or how to believe, whether it be verbal, in writing, or through visual symbols, they miss out on the freedom to think for themselves and use the skills that they are learning in the classroom. Since November- last November- a number of parents have reached out to me regarding individual concerns regarding what I believe is a growing trend in our schools, a trend that allows personal ideologies to be posted on walls, in hallways, and verbalised in our classroom settings. I wish I was shocked by each of the examples that were shared with me, however I am aware these trends have been happening for many years. That said, as a board I hope we can agree to take steps in working with superintendents and school administrators to ensure the ISD has the best learning environment where personal ideologies are left at the door. Additionally and most importantly I hope we can adher to the Texas education code section 25.082, which requires the United States flag and the Texas flag be prominently displayed in accordance with 4 USC sections 5 through 10, and chapter 3,100, state flag of our government code. And that these flags in respective school and college-- that these two, US flags and Texas flags and pennants are the only ones allowed to be displayed in our schools. And I would appreciate thoughts from you guys on this topic, and hopefully we can move toward an action.

Board Member A: I have a question on that: I think this thing is mislabelled. It says, 'requests discussion regarding the presence of personal ideology'. I think you're more referring to personal ideology being shared or taught, right, as opposed to 'having' personal ideology.

Dungan: Both. Because it can't be represented, not being...

A: If I have an ideology as a teacher, and i go into a classroom-- because they all do, every teacher does, every individual has their own personal ideology. What's... what's the violation, what's the infraction?

Dungan: it's not necessarily that you possess some form of belief. It's the way that it's posted in our schools.

A: So, that's what I'm saying. This is extremely vague. It says, "the presence of personal ideology in schools". We can't prevent that. They're gonna have their own personal ideologies.

Dungan: Well, for example, just last week-- I'm speaking more to posters or things that are laid on walls, in classrooms, on bulletin boards.

A: That clarifies it for me. Second question, I've been inclined for most of my life, when multiple flags from multiple eras, multiple states, are posted in-- especially geography, history classrooms etcetera. Are we not allowed to do that?

Dungan: One thing that is quoted in the summary that I just read is that the American flag and the Texas flag are the only two, that are....

Board Member B: Outside of any instructional materials. Outside of any instructional materials.

A: So you put all the state flags along your classroom, that's an infraction?

Dungan: No, because its actually just showing the different flags of our country. Its when you start putting the presence of personal ideologies out there, not educational ones. As long as its in accordance with what's being taught, with the teaching, it can be presented on a poster in a hallway. It's in our curriculum.

A: Oh, it has to be associated with the curriculum. So if I have a flag that... I'm teaching about....

Dungan: if its in the textbook or if its in the curriculum that's being used for that lesson. I only bring the flag argument up because that's a good example of how we could approach a restriction or a standard.

A: So what would that restriction look like?

Dungan: if there was a question as to what could be displayed, we could reference that Texas education code, section 25.082. Which is in regard to the two flags, US flag and Texas flag, being prominently displayed. Right? I'm just giving an example.

A: OK. I'm a bit clearer about what you're trying to accomplish here, and how it relates to how it's posted on the agenda.

Dungan: And that's why I wrote this summary out. I apologise.

[Multiple board members briefly talking over eachother]

Board Member C: The agenda may be vague but that'd be my fault.

A: But just to be clear, we do expect folks to have their own ideologies, their own backgrounds, personal beliefs, personal what-have-you... as any other employee of the school district. Right?

Dungan: Right.

B: So how would they hide that? Or not display it? What if they were displaying a quote in their classroom, and one person felt it was an ideology, and somebody else didn't, so now we can't have quotes? Could you let us know what the examples were, so we can have a better idea of what parents were complaining about?

Dungan: So like an example of a poster that shows "all belong here", with racially-coloured hands. This was an example that was brought to me early this year. Where the intention of the poster was good, and the parent thought the intention of the poster was good, however the unintended consequences of that poster made the first-grader feel like "wait, why wouldn't I be safe, why wouldn't i be accepted here?" So it had a reverse effect on this first-grader because it was in the classroom.

A: Wait, so, my wife has these [unclear] sometimes, with the multiple hand prints, hand prints in different shades. And it says "all means all", or "everyone's included" or whatever-- is that an infraction?

Dungan: It's an example of a scenario that was brought to my attention.

A: I'm just saying, from your perspective is that an infraction? People bring everything to my attention, but I don't deem it to be worthy to...

Dungan: i was asked for an example. I'm saying that was a concern, of one of our parents at an elementary. And the district addressed it, the child was moved into a different classroom. And I'm saying to avoid situations like that, maybe as a board we could adopt some standards, guidelines, that could be passed down to our schools, so that if something surfaces it could serve as a starting point.

[At this point, 2 board members point out there is already a rule about the display of non-curriculum materials on school walls]

Board Member D: just so I understand, so you are seriously suggesting that you find objectionable a poster indicating that all are equal?

Dungan: I never said that. I gave an example.

D: what is the problem with that?

Dungan: I'm saying that as a school district, that we can follow the guidelines that if its not in the curriculum, we can't have it on the walls in the schools.

A: I think this is a slippery slope. [...] I see biblical quotes, I see "thou shalt not kill", a lot of stuff that comes directly from the bible. Noones jumping up and down about that. But that could be deemed offensive to many folks. Right? So are we to go into each classrooms, and rip.... because I guarantee if we did that we'd have a whole other uproar. Do you agree?

Dungan: I... I don't know.

A: because then people would say you're being anti-conservative, anti-Christian, and so forth. However you're meant to have separation of Church and State. And when you do that, you are sort of violating...

Dungan: I'm saying you follow the law. If we have a standard based on how you interpret the law then it removes all that personal involvement.

(It continues a bit further but that's the most directly relevant bit to the details in the article)

Last edited:
Reactions: tstorm823 and Kwak

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Found it:

(The agenda item in question starts at the 3 hr 24 min mark).

Transcript as close as I can get it:

President: 9-A, board member requests discussion regarding the presence of personal ideology in schools. I believe this is Ms Dungan's...

Dungan: ...And thankfully I have a summary, just as an introduction as to why and what this agenda item was requested. So I thank you, Mr President, for adding the discussion of ideologies in our schools to tonight's agenda. My purpose in bringing up this topic for discussion is so that we as a board can ensure that every Conroe ISD student is allowed to think freely at school. We can likely all agree that when children are told what or how to believe, whether it be verbal, in writing, or through visual symbols, they miss out on the freedom to think for themselves and use the skills that they are learning in the classroom. Since November- last November- a number of parents have reached out to me regarding individual concerns regarding what I believe is a growing trend in our schools, a trend that allows personal ideologies to be posted on walls, in hallways, and verbalised in our classroom settings. I wish I was shocked by each of the examples that were shared with me, however I am aware these trends have been happening for many years. That said, as a board I hope we can agree to take steps in working with superintendents and school administrators to ensure the ISD has the best learning environment where personal ideologies are left at the door. Additionally and most importantly I hope we can adher to the Texas education code section 25.082, which requires the United States flag and the Texas flag be prominently displayed in accordance with 4 USC sections 5 through 10, and chapter 3,100, state flag of our government code. And that these flags in respective school and college-- that these two, US flags and Texas flags and pennants are the only ones allowed to be displayed in our schools. And I would appreciate thoughts from you guys on this topic, and hopefully we can move toward an action.

Board Member A: I have a question on that: I think this thing is mislabelled. It says, 'requests discussion regarding the presence of personal ideology'. I think you're more referring to personal ideology being shared or taught, right, as opposed to 'having' personal ideology.

Dungan: Both. Because it can't be represented, not being...

A: If I have an ideology as a teacher, and i go into a classroom-- because they all do, every teacher does, every individual has their own personal ideology. What's... what's the violation, what's the infraction?

Dungan: it's not necessarily that you possess some form of belief. It's the way that it's posted in our schools.

A: So, that's what I'm saying. This is extremely vague. It says, "the presence of personal ideology in schools". We can't prevent that. They're gonna have their own personal ideologies.

Dungan: Well, for example, just last week-- I'm speaking more to posters or things that are laid on walls, in classrooms, on bulletin boards.

A: That clarifies it for me. Second question, I've been inclined for most of my life, when multiple flags from multiple eras, multiple states, are posted in-- especially geography, history classrooms etcetera. Are we not allowed to do that?

Dungan: One thing that is quoted in the summary that I just read is that the American flag and the Texas flag are the only two, that are....

Board Member B: Outside of any instructional materials. Outside of any instructional materials.

A: So you put all the state flags along your classroom, that's an infraction?

Dungan: No, because its actually just showing the different flags of our country. Its when you start putting the presence of personal ideologies out there, not educational ones. As long as its in accordance with what's being taught, with the teaching, it can be presented on a poster in a hallway. It's in our curriculum.

A: Oh, it has to be associated with the curriculum. So if I have a flag that... I'm teaching about....

Dungan: if its in the textbook or if its in the curriculum that's being used for that lesson. I only bring the flag argument up because that's a good example of how we could approach a restriction or a standard.

A: So what would that restriction look like?

Dungan: if there was a question as to what could be displayed, we could reference that Texas education code, section 25.082. Which is in regard to the two flags, US flag and Texas flag, being prominently displayed. Right? I'm just giving an example.

A: OK. I'm a bit clearer about what you're trying to accomplish here, and how it relates to how it's posted on the agenda.

Dungan: And that's why I wrote this summary out. I apologise.

[Multiple board members briefly talking over eachother]

Board Member C: The agenda may be vague but that'd be my fault.

A: But just to be clear, we do expect folks to have their own ideologies, their own backgrounds, personal beliefs, personal what-have-you... as any other employee of the school district. Right?

Dungan: Right.

B: So how would they hide that? Or not display it? What if they were displaying a quote in their classroom, and one person felt it was an ideology, and somebody else didn't, so now we can't have quotes? Could you let us know what the examples were, so we can have a better idea of what parents were complaining about?

Dungan: So like an example of a poster that shows "all belong here", with racially-coloured hands. This was an example that was brought to me early this year. Where the intention of the poster was good, and the parent thought the intention of the poster was good, however the unintended consequences of that poster made the first-grader feel like "wait, why wouldn't I be safe, why wouldn't i be accepted here?" So it had a reverse effect on this first-grader because it was in the classroom.

A: Wait, so, my wife has these [unclear] sometimes, with the multiple hand prints, hand prints in different shades. And it says "all means all", or "everyone's included" or whatever-- is that an infraction?

Dungan: It's an example of a scenario that was brought to my attention.

A: I'm just saying, from your perspective is that an infraction? People bring everything to my attention, but I don't deem it to be worthy to...

Dungan: i was asked for an example. I'm saying that was a concern, of one of our parents at an elementary. And the district addressed it, the child was moved into a different classroom. And I'm saying to avoid situations like that, maybe as a board we could adopt some standards, guidelines, that could be passed down to our schools, so that if something surfaces it could serve as a starting point.

[At this point, 2 board members point out there is already a rule about the display of non-curriculum materials on school walls]

Board Member D: just so I understand, so you are seriously suggesting that you find objectionable a poster indicating that all are equal?

Dungan: I never said that. I gave an example.

D: what is the problem with that?

Dungan: I'm saying that as a school district, that we can follow the guidelines that if its not in the curriculum, we can't have it on the walls in the schools.

A: I think this is a slippery slope. [...] I see biblical quotes, I see "thou shalt not kill", a lot of stuff that comes directly from the bible. Noones jumping up and down about that. But that could be deemed offensive to many folks. Right? So are we to go into each classrooms, and rip.... because I guarantee if we did that we'd have a whole other uproar. Do you agree?

Dungan: I... I don't know.

A: because then people would say you're being anti-conservative, anti-Christian, and so forth. However you're meant to have separation of Church and State. And when you do that, you are sort of violating...

Dungan: I'm saying you follow the law. If we have a standard based on how you interpret the law then it removes all that personal involvement.

(It continues a bit further but that's the most directly relevant bit to the details in the article)
Lmao, so it's an example of an infraction, buy he can't *say* it's an infraction, because he'd have to explain *why* it would be an infraction, and he knows that would make him look like a racist piece of shit. Cute dodge on the biblical quote too

Intellectual cowards, the lot of them. Just trying to squeak by with a "you know what we mean" and fumbling as soon as someone says "I don't know what you mean, please explain"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I am not condoning homophobia but this was clearly a publicity stunt by Healy to draw attention away from his racist remarks. He's done more harm to LGBT people in Malaysia than if he'd just cancelled his appearance. In my view, this bill is very much deserved.
Second that. The price tag might be a bit high, but he's not in the right here.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
FYI, Healy has a record of support for LGBTQ+ rights. Whilst he may be irresponsible, provocative, and prone to at best a deeply tasteless sense of humour, that he's got himself onto a social media shitlist doesn't mean we have to deny him any virtues at all.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I don't know how many wrongs are supposed make a right. But a festival cancellation because "provocative kiss" (oh noes), and then the cost for it, is for me more indicative of a shitty society that does deserve being inflicted more horrors of that nature. So no, won't get on the "yeeeah, serves them RIGHT" bandwagon there.

I suppose it's, weirdly enough, the quran burning thing all over again. But no, I'm not really fence sitting on that one.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
People like Trump see the military as an extension of their penises. It's got to be "manly" and "macho" and "ready to rock and roll", so that they can feel tough while they order other people to actually put their lives on the line.