Funny events in anti-woke world

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Was "servants" their official designation?
Extraordinarily unlikely, at least officially in modern times. If they are laundry workers, that's what they will be called. Bearing in mind that they are civilian employees of independent UK companies who hold the contracts to provide those services to the Royal Navy, not RN employees.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

cancel culture has gone too far
People should only ever get fired if they say something actually terrible, not for retweeting anything

That being said, the one infraction I have received from a workplace is a Facebook post that the boss took as critical of their business. So this is standard procedure

Don't paste anything on Facebook, especially being critical of any workplace. Bosses will use it against you

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

cancel culture has gone too far
I think that maybe it's not just a political issue if the editor-in-chief of a scientific journal calls a satire site better than academia. I think that may inherently put him in conflict with his own position.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/10/dave-chappelle-boston-walk-out-israel-gaza

It all began when Chappelle said that students who expressed support for Palestine should not be denied job offers (unaware, perhaps, that most GOP candidates for president want to do far more than that). According to the Wall Street Journal, a heckler at the show told him to shut up, which spurred Chappelle to expand on his opinions about the war.

After condemning the Oct. 7 Hamas attack in which over 1000 Israelis died, Chappelle “accused Israel of killing innocent civilians and committing war crimes,” Page Six reports. He “also said the US was guilty of aiding the slaughter of innocent civilians,” according to Deadline.

Audience reaction was mixed, with some applauding and calling “free Palestine,” while others walked out of the show, according to the WSJ.

“The audience was cheering Chappelle on during his tirade. I was sick. We were sick. I turned to my friends and wife and said, I think it is time to go,” the Daily Mail quotes an audience member saying via social media. “We walked out and met up with many other Jews leaving the show. Never in my life have I felt so unsafe and so fearful of what I was witnessing.” Oddly enough, a spokesperson for the comedian told the WSJ that he “denies being in Boston” for the show in question, which was widely advertised and displays no indications that it was canceled.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I think that maybe it's not just a political issue if the editor-in-chief of a scientific journal calls a satire site better than academia.
I think he might be in trouble in terms of his position at a science journal to say the Onion was more reliable in terms of objective examination of the material world than the scientific establishment. It should be much less problematic for that role to note that the Onion has better moral clarity than the leadership of universities.

His university, however, may take umbrage with that sentiment.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Isn't a retweet the same as saying the original thing?

EDIT: Not that I think he was retweeting anything terrible.
No. I do remember a US lawyer saying something similar a few weeks ago

A retweet might show your agreement with a statement. That is not you personally making any statement

If I can remember the source, I'll post it

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Funny event in event in anti woke world? What about the Argentine version of the Brazilian version of Trump suffered a surprising loss in the Argentine election. Kind of a bad month for the far right in general with the Pis party already having lost in Poland earlier.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, because the American flag is just so apolitical.

I guess we'd also need a political slider for Miles himself, right? So he can look and sound less "political" to certain people who just want to enjoy the game. The 'I don't want to see gay people and black people in my game' slider sounds like a winner.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Games that couldn't be politicised", he says about Elden Ring, a game in which you kill the heirs of a corrupt royal lineage and expose a conspiracy/deception at the heart of the religious establishment.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
The logic is too overwhelming, I don't think our brains were meant to handle Byzantine laws of physics like that being in the centre of two equal weights is considered a balance. Then transposing that understanding onto a flimsy rhetorical abstraction of ever-changing political ideologies cause they used similar words sometimes is even higher level science logic the other 10 year olds won't understand for at least another year.