Funny events in anti-woke world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Attributing a woman's bodily autonomy to "a blind dogma of hatred"... Yeah, that makes total sense for you.
You would disregard reason and moralize the death of millions for the opportunity to flip off religion. That's blind hatred.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The starting point for the individual entity to be considered unimpeachable, but not the starting point for that principle-- "life is always the answer if it's an option"-- to hold true. He gave every indication that principle was absolute, no caveats or exceptions. And if that's the case, overriding all concerns of quality of life and suffering, then my point stands.
Building a broader strawman out of that one line is disingenuous. I mean, this isn't the first time this topic has come up and we know tstorm's position on the matter, right? Even in a broader sense when the discussion has been about marriages and relationships and so on.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Correct, it's on the continued and constant maintenance of an entire society.
Right. But that dependence is not only of a much lesser nature, but also a minor part of my mode of existence. I exist as a constituent part of a society, but I also exist as a distinct entity with interests and wishes that are apart from society and all my own. An organ, and a zygote, do not. They have no separate interests or wishes and their dependence is the entirety of their mode of existence.

The functional difference between a zygote and an organ comes down to potential. The potential to become a thinking, choosing human experiencing life. On that count it shares the same potential as a separate sperm and egg.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Building a broader strawman out of that one line is disingenuous.
I scarcely see how that's a strawman, but rather a necessary logical conclusion of the position as stated. If one believes that the existence of human life is always and absolutely the best choice, trumping all other concerns, then it necessarily follows that everyone should sacrifice their own wellbeing to bring more human life into existence, even if that human life is unsustainable and miserable.

I mean, this isn't the first time this topic has come up and we know tstorm's position on the matter, right? Even in a broader sense when the discussion has been about marriages and relationships and so on.
Yes, and I believe there are inconsistencies there.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You would disregard reason and moralize the death of millions for the opportunity to flip off religion. That's blind hatred.
Flipping off religion is the epitome of reason. So fuck anyone and their religious beliefs that would force someone to carry a pregnancy against their will.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Flipping off religion is the epitome of reason. So fuck anyone and their religious beliefs that would force someone to carry a pregnancy against their will.
And now I can only hope that reasonable people never respect another word out of your mouth. "Flipping off religion is the epitome of reason"? Basing your position off of hating another will never make you right no matter how right or wrong the thing you hate is. You let the things you resent define you, and everything downstream of that is worthless.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And now I can only hope that reasonable people never respect another word out of your mouth. "Flipping off religion is the epitome of reason"? Basing your position off of hating another will never make you right no matter how right or wrong the thing you hate is. You let the things you resent define you, and everything downstream of that is worthless.
Keep your empty rhetoric in your empty churches, yeah.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Conservatism.txt

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

Not unexpected, but still, pussed out like a *****
Although I just want to point out that Winston Churchill actually won when it really mattered. Hence why his quotations have so much impact.

Of course, if you rephrase that as "It's not the winning that matters it's the taking part", that's normally the sort of thing Ron in happier days would have laughed off as soft, weak wokeism.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
He just wanted to be Donald Trump minus all the legal issues. Turned out Trump's supporters don't care about those in the least.
Oh they care. Being a lunatic who can't stop committing crimes just happens to be appealing to them....for some reason. I've heard analysts describe ''Trump with competence and without the crazy'' to be a losing strategy because Trump's voters love the incompetence and crazy more than any actual policy Trump has.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Oh they care. Being a lunatic who can't stop committing crimes just happens to be appealing to them....for some reason.
To be fair, that's only a tranche of Republican voters. Just, unfortunately, the ones most engaged with the political process who select their candidates. (The Republicans aren't unusual in this: most party memberships overrepresent cranks, extremists and weirdos.)

It's obvious a lot of Republican voters are frustrated with, disillusioned by and even hate Trump. But come an election, they'll be faithful to the party and stick an X by his name.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Correct, it's on the continued and constant maintenance of an entire society.
It is reasonable to expect things of society generally. It is even reasonable to expect certain things of individuals. Incubation until birth against that individual's will is not one of them. Moreover, we should want the people who are going to have children to want to have children. Obviously. If you still want to see less abortions, there are plenty less invasive ways of pursuing it: make it less expensive to have children-- both in the maternity ward and then to raise them. Encourage contraception. What absolutely should not be done is to enslave the pregnant to carry unwanted children to term and then risk their lives or health in childbirth.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It's almost like actions have consequences or something. Didn't a political party spend decades telling us that?
Besides, he's going to be "in debt" in the way most very rich people are ever in debt, which is potentially have to flog a portion of their copious assets when they don't want to. Like they've got $50 million in shares, $10 million in property and $1 million in the bank, and try to make out that a $5 million bill is going to leave them paupers.