Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm sorry I get that for many Americans Politics is a religion replacement but this stuff isn't new and I don't get home it's Anti-Woke really. The UK has a long traditional history of having candidates stand for election whose entire standing is to take the absolute piss out of the political classes and make the whole thing look like the mad joke it actually is. From the Monster Raving Loony Part to The Elmo party to well

America needs more like this honestly.
Well, anything would be better than what's happening right now in the UK. The Tories went super right wing and risk being completely annihilated. Labour went past centre right, purging almost all lefties and centrist from the party to turn themselves into the new Tories

Which means that nothing will change and Britian will continue on its path to self destruction

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, the GOP caught the car and finally got rid of Chevron. They have now made any laws against abortion medication almost impossible

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The phrase you are looking for is "graphic novel". And I struggle to call it "particular emphasis", when the parts that focus on that aspect is just treated as one vignette among the others. "Higher emphasis", maybe; I have not read The Diary of a young girl.
You are correct on the first point. Particular emphasis is a reasonable description. They did not illustrate some parts of what she wanted to publish, and instead illustrated original diary entries that were edited out of the version meant for others to read, and also somehow even a minor mention of the wonders of the world turned into an illustration of the Colossus of Rhodes with a penis.
Well, the GOP caught the car and finally got rid of Chevron. They have now made any laws against abortion medication almost impossible
I don't see how those sentences are in any way related.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Screenshot (211).pngScreenshot (212).png

For context, the woman is Leslye Headland, the creator of The Acoylyte (the Fandom Menace's newest target) who once worked as Harvey Weinstein's personal assistant.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Well, anything would be better than what's happening right now in the UK. The Tories went super right wing and risk being completely annihilated. Labour went past centre right, purging almost all lefties and centrist from the party to turn themselves into the new Tories

Which means that nothing will change and Britian will continue on its path to self destruction
No, the Tories haven't

Not sure what's being reported by other countries media but the Tories haven't gone super right.
They've gone a little more right if you don't actually analyse the policies and context of them E.G. They're proposing national service for 18 year olds in the UK.
Sounds all very right wing, the options are a year in the military or 25 days in 1 year at a volunteer placement in the community which would be, Hospitals, care work, search and rescue, fire or ambulance service work.
And wouldn't you just know it the Army, NHS healthcare, Care sector, Search and rescue, Fire service, and ambulance service just happen to be sectors struggling to keep and recruit talent and in need of more staffing, funny how the national service requirements just so happen to just be for the areas most in need of people and not like helping at soup kitchens or other normally more volunteer rune sectors that do need community good will and support more..........

What has happened in the UK is Reform UK which is UKIP rebranded basically being a far more right win party emerging.

Then again Labour have veered almost as far right as the Tories based on their election pledges this time, sure there's some stuff about nationalise this and that but the costings come down to more taxes and Labour's record last time they were in government was not actually taxing big corporations lime Google and Amazon at all but then putting in a "Green Energy tax" on all holiday flights allegedly to help fund clean energy initiatives but in reality it just got brought in and was used to fill a budgetary black hole.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds all very right wing, the options are a year in the military or 25 days in 1 year at a volunteer placement in the community which would be, Hospitals, care work, search and rescue, fire or ambulance service work.
And wouldn't you just know it the Army, NHS healthcare, Care sector, Search and rescue, Fire service, and ambulance service just happen to be sectors struggling to keep and recruit talent and in need of more staffing, funny how the national service requirements just so happen to just be for the areas most in need of people and not like helping at soup kitchens or other normally more volunteer rune sectors that do need community good will and support more..........
Those sectors do indeed need more support. And yet, they've made very clear that the 'national service' scheme would be an additional burden for them, not a boon: they're essentially expected to invest time, money and staffing into short-term training for a bunch of people who don't want to be there. And in the meantime, the Tories have slashed their budgets to the bone.

The national service scheme was never intended to help those sectors. It was intended to appeal to a narrow demographic of older voters along culture war grounds. Similarly, look at the Rwanda scheme, under which refugees would be deported to an unsafe country at an enormous cost to the taxpayer.

Then again Labour have veered almost as far right as the Tories based on their election pledges this time, sure there's some stuff about nationalise this and that but the costings come down to more taxes and Labour's record last time they were in government was not actually taxing big corporations lime Google and Amazon at all but then putting in a "Green Energy tax" on all holiday flights allegedly to help fund clean energy initiatives but in reality it just got brought in and was used to fill a budgetary black hole.
There are many sources of revenue available for a government, not just tax. Labour are relying on growth as well as the closure of loopholes to raise a lot of it. They're not being very honest though-- the likelihood is they will need to raise some forms of tax.

So far the taxes they're looking at are things like capital gains (excepting sales of first residences), which seems to me a very sensible one to go for. They will need more, of course. But the British public actually broadly supports slightly higher taxes if it means greater spending on vital services like health.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Those sectors do indeed need more support. And yet, they've made very clear that the 'national service' scheme would be an additional burden for them, not a boon: they're essentially expected to invest time, money and staffing into short-term training for a bunch of people who don't want to be there. And in the meantime, the Tories have slashed their budgets to the bone.

The national service scheme was never intended to help those sectors. It was intended to appeal to a narrow demographic of older voters along culture war grounds. Similarly, look at the Rwanda scheme, under which refugees would be deported to an unsafe country at an enormous cost to the taxpayer.
Except the Rwanda plan makes some sense, and also how is Rwanda not safe again?

As some-one who did the Millennium Volunteers scheme I can see the benefit from volunteer work, I still think the national service idea is bloody stupid

There are many sources of revenue available for a government, not just tax. Labour are relying on growth as well as the closure of loopholes to raise a lot of it. They're not being very honest though-- the likelihood is they will need to raise some forms of tax.
So like they didn't actually do last time where they didn't even need to let big companies use loopholes, they just never bothered to collect the taxes in the first place. As for growth, you mean like last time where it was false growth funded by selling off assets (the entire UK gold reserve for instance) and using PFI loans because they aren't part of the normal books as such so don't count like normal government borrowing.

So far the taxes they're looking at are things like capital gains (excepting sales of first residences), which seems to me a very sensible one to go for. They will need more, of course. But the British public actually broadly supports slightly higher taxes if it means greater spending on vital services like health.
Yeh, however Labours last term saw inefficient spending. Private contracts for companies charging the NHS £50 a light bulb and other stuff. It was just as much jobs for the boys as the Tories were accused of. No point hiring 5 new middle managers per 1 new nurse or doctor

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, the Tories haven't

Not sure what's being reported by other countries media but the Tories haven't gone super right.
They've gone a little more right if you don't actually analyse the policies and context of them E.G. They're proposing national service for 18 year olds in the UK.

What has happened in the UK is Reform UK which is UKIP rebranded basically being a far more right win party emerging.

The Tories shifted right to capture the UKIP people There was no way someone like Patel or Braverman was going to get any power before Johnson. This might also be a timeframe issue as I'm talking about the last 5 years, you might be talking about a shorter time frame

Now, are you honest about your query about joke/protest parties? Because it's really simple. Its also the same explanations as to why Stop Oil are throwing dye at Stonehenge.

Most forms of protests have been utterly crushed since BoJo started. He targeted environmental protesters (this is even before they stood in traffic to disrupt it) saying they were bad, and the UK populace 'agreed' they needed to be curtailed. The protestors changed tactics based on the laws, next trying standing in traffic and then throwing soup at paintings, They have been pretty much banned from congregating in high numbers in public

BUT the anti-protest laws weren't just against those protestors. Targeting environmental protesters was just the excuse. It covers all protests and has generally cooled any anti-government rhetoric. Especially when you note how some pro-Brexit people pretended that their opposition were 'anti-patriotic'. This part is the most sickening to me as I thought knowing that the UK was 'shit' was actually part of your culture. It was the one thing all sides could agree on. You guys always had an anti-authoritarian punk rock flair that I am sad to see leave your cultural identity

The UK has slowly been cooked like lobsters as the authoritarians in your government change what it means to be English.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
View attachment 11383View attachment 11384

For context, the woman is Leslye Headland, the creator of The Acoylyte (the Fandom Menace's newest target) who once worked as Harvey Weinstein's personal assistant.
You'd wonder what all the reactionaries who liked bringing this up would have to say about Quentin Tarantino who considered Harvey a good friend for many years. Surely they'd be as eager to tear into him, right?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Except the Rwanda plan makes some sense, and also how is Rwanda not safe again?
The Supreme Court ruled that it was unsafe. One of the biggest issues is refoulement.

As some-one who did the Millennium Volunteers scheme I can see the benefit from volunteer work, I still think the national service idea is bloody stupid
I absolutely see the benefit in volunteering. I did it myself. National service as a compulsory element is sort of the opposite of volunteering, and ends up being a burden on the sectors involved.

So like they didn't actually do last time where they didn't even need to let big companies use loopholes, they just never bothered to collect the taxes in the first place. As for growth, you mean like last time where it was false growth funded by selling off assets (the entire UK gold reserve for instance) and using PFI loans because they aren't part of the normal books as such so don't count like normal government borrowing.
The idea is to not do exactly the same things as last time.

Yeh, however Labours last term saw inefficient spending. Private contracts for companies charging the NHS £50 a light bulb and other stuff. It was just as much jobs for the boys as the Tories were accused of. No point hiring 5 new middle managers per 1 new nurse or doctor
Indeed, it saw very inefficient spending-- and yet compared to the Tories over the following 14 years, they were a paragon. Spending is far less efficient now-- intentionally so, since the Conservatives simply see government as a vehicle to transfer public funds into their cronies' hands.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You'd wonder what all the reactionaries who liked bringing this up would have to say about Quentin Tarantino who considered Harvey a good friend for many years. Surely they'd be as eager to tear into him, right?
It probably depends on Tarantino's reaction to the news about Weinstein.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Tarantino cast Rose McGowan in Death Proof specifically to spite Weinstein because of the latter blacklisting her, and approved of Uma Thurman coming forward with the story about unsafe conditions leading to her wreck and injuries filming Kill Bill Vol. 1 due to guilt over not doing more to bring down Weinstein, so it's safe to say he isn't a fan.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's not really what I was getting at. This one woman who was Weinstein's personal assistant when he was at the height of his power is getting dragged for it, yet these same people would say nothing regarding Tarantino - the emperer of the film bro's - having been friends with Weinstein for years. Both her and Tarantino probably knew what Weinstein was up to since it was kinda an open secret in Hollywood.

And mind you they're only dragging her for this because she made "gay" Star Wars - they couldn't give a shit about Weinstein's antics otherwise.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder exactly what the order given was, and how/if it could be subverted but still follow the guideline as written. Maybe a focus on the Song of Solomon?
Here's the text of the memorandum (which was surprisingly difficult to find, unless I'm just being a fool).

"Effective immediately, allOklahoma schools are required to incorporate the Bible, which includes the Ten Commandments, as an instructional support into the curriculum across specified grade levels, e.g,grades 5 through 12. This directive is in alignment with the educational standards approved on or about May 2019, with which all districts must comply.

The Bible is one of the most historically significant books and a cornerstone of Western civilization, along with the Ten Commandments. They will be referenced as an appropriate study of history, civilization, ethics, comparative religion, or the like, as well as for their substantial influence on our nation’s founders and the foundational principles of our Consiitution. This is not merely an educational directive but a crucial step in ensuring our students grasp the core values and historical context of our country.

Additionally, the State Department of Education may supply teaching materials for the Bible, as permissible to ensure uniformity in delivery.

Adherence to this mandate is compulsory. Further instructions for monitoring and reporting on this implementation for the 2024/25 school year will be forthcoming.

Immediate and strict compliance is expected."

((The bit about teachers possibly losing their licence was from a follow-up interview with NBC)).

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Supreme Court ruled that it was unsafe. One of the biggest issues is refoulement.
Yet wasn't it then ruled safe by the agreements it signed.

Also most of the illegal immigrants aren't from Rwanda lol

I absolutely see the benefit in volunteering. I did it myself. National service as a compulsory element is sort of the opposite of volunteering, and ends up being a burden on the sectors involved.
Could easily get round that issue by having more options in terms of doing said service to sectors that normally do take in and need volunteers. Because those sectors already expect them and help train them.

The idea is to not do exactly the same things as last time.
No, they'll let more companies off paying taxes next time lol

Indeed, it saw very inefficient spending-- and yet compared to the Tories over the following 14 years, they were a paragon. Spending is far less efficient now-- intentionally so, since the Conservatives simply see government as a vehicle to transfer public funds into their cronies' hands.
In part due to the maturation of PFI loan agreements meaning spending is going heavily to private sector companies who agreed to help fund public initiatives.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yet wasn't it then ruled safe by the agreements it signed.
Not quite: the government simply declared it safe in legislation. That's not the same. The issues that led the court to deem it unsafe are unchanged.

Also most of the illegal immigrants aren't from Rwanda lol
? That's... not the issue with refoulement here.

Could easily get round that issue by having more options in terms of doing said service to sectors that normally do take in and need volunteers. Because those sectors already expect them and help train them.
So not the armed forces, then, who have explicitly said they don't want national service.

No, they'll let more companies off paying taxes next time lol
Corporations have never had such lax taxation enforcement as under the Tories. Even under New Labour.

In part due to the maturation of PFI loan agreements meaning spending is going heavily to private sector companies who agreed to help fund public initiatives.
...and also the drastic expansion of PFI under the Tories; the favouring of unsuitable companies for public contracts (recall hundreds of millions of PPE being bought and then found to be unusable?); and the ownership of utilities by rapacious debt-fueled private actors.