Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's not a hoax. A hoax would mean that it didn't happen at all. It did happen, the pictures are verified to have come from a Trump rally, and the pictures are confirmed to not be modified or AI generated.

Tricking people into revealing themselves to be weird and dumb doesn't mean that what happened is a hoax. If they weren't weird and dumb they wouldn't have gone along with it in the first place. They manufactured a way for the people at that Trump rally to show that they are weird.

You could call it entrapment, but it's not a hoax.
I would have used the word overblown instead of hoax. Words aren't Phoenixmgs strong suit

Overblown is pretty synonymous with the media. Complaints about Walz's National Guard career for example. I wouldn't call that a hoax either. Definitely overblown

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's not a hoax. A hoax would mean that it didn't happen at all. It did happen, the pictures are verified to have come from a Trump rally, and the pictures are confirmed to not be modified or AI generated.

Tricking people into revealing themselves to be weird and dumb doesn't mean that what happened is a hoax. If they weren't weird and dumb they wouldn't have gone along with it in the first place. They manufactured a way for the people at that Trump rally to show that they are weird.

You could call it entrapment, but it's not a hoax.
I misread what you described as a hoax in your post. I'd say getting people to hold something and take a picture falls into being a hoax if what you claim is this group of people are doing XYZ stupid thing. Even Snopes used the word "hoax" to describe it, "Snopes identified several red flags suggesting they may have been part of a hoax". The pictures are not confirmed to not be modified as Snopes says they do not appear to be manipulated (so they could be manipulated). Someone could've game people like money to pose for the photos (if they are real) so why not take free money? It's obviously not a thing that republicans are doing so why was it even posted here to begin with? And the user that posted it IIRC referred to these people as the "the worst people in the world" as well.

I would have used the word overblown instead of hoax. Words aren't Phoenixmgs strong suit

Overblown is pretty synonymous with the media. Complaints about Walz's National Guard career for example. I wouldn't call that a hoax either. Definitely overblown
Snopes is using the word "hoax" as well...

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Concord died as its supposed to and I already see thumbnails of grifters doing a victory dance while trying to pretend that the game died because it was ''woke'' rather than because it was a discredited and outdated live service game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I misread what you described as a hoax in your post. I'd say getting people to hold something and take a picture falls into being a hoax if what you claim is this group of people are doing XYZ stupid thing. Even Snopes used the word "hoax" to describe it, "Snopes identified several red flags suggesting they may have been part of a hoax". The pictures are not confirmed to not be modified as Snopes says they do not appear to be manipulated (so they could be manipulated). Someone could've game people like money to pose for the photos (if they are real) so why not take free money? It's obviously not a thing that republicans are doing so why was it even posted here to begin with? And the user that posted it IIRC referred to these people as the "the worst people in the world" as well.

Snopes is using the word "hoax" as well...
Snopes didn't describe it as a hoax. They said that prior to their investigation the viral content had the hallmarks of a hoax. Their final conclusion was that the idea it was a hoax was unproven.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Snopes didn't describe it as a hoax. They said that prior to their investigation the viral content had the hallmarks of a hoax. Their final conclusion was that the idea it was a hoax was unproven.
And, again, we have to go back to someone not understanding words

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
He understands the words that he thinks prove him right. His problem is that he never looks at any of the words around them.
I probably shouldn't say word. It's more like picking a term they approve of out of a paragraph... or a whole article... and deleting the rest of the context surrounding it

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, so it can be a hoax still, it's unproven either way...

And, again, you didn't answer my question. If something is claimed that people of a group are doing XYZ thing and you have no evidence they are doing that (or at best such a small amount is doing it you can't find people of that group posting it to their social media), then how is that not a hoax to point? I bet if you went to the DNC, you'd find a ton of random people being weird too, that doesn't mean the whole group is weird. I think it's weird that people volunteer to work at something like the DNC with how much money the DNC has. They can't afford to pay people? Same for other side as well with the RNC.

The bigger question is why was this even posted here, why do you guys care about shit that doesn't matter?

And, again, we have to go back to someone not understanding words
Literally from Snopes:

While the photos did not appear to be manipulated, Snopes identified several red flags suggesting they may have been part of a hoax. However, we could not arrive at a true or false determination based on the available, inconclusive evidence.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Literally from Snopes:

While the photos did not appear to be manipulated, Snopes identified several red flags suggesting they may have been part of a hoax. However, we could not arrive at a true or false determination based on the available, inconclusive evidence.
Yes, we know. You read the word hoax, ignore the rest of the sentences and blame everyone for creating a hoax. You didn't need to bring the proof

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I probably shouldn't say word. It's more like picking a term they approve of out of a paragraph... or a whole article... and deleting the rest of the context surrounding it
There are people in this world who might claim bees cause cancer, then when queried on this assertion supply a scientific paper called "Bees definitely do not cause cancer", and select out one sentence saying "Bees have been hypothesised to cause cancer" whilst ignoring all the scientific work in the rest of the paper conclusively demonstrating that bees do not cause cancer. Then when this inconsistency is pointed out, say something about how the paper was rubbish and here's Fred Blogg's Health Blog showing a correlation of local bee population and cancer rates therefore QED bees cause cancer.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Thankfully, it was only 4 people who died. It's still tragic, and the two teachers who died were heroes. As are the two students who died.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They could not determine if hoax or not, hence it could possibly be a hoax.
There is a possibility. It's also now been three weeks and the evidence showing it was a hoax hasn't arrived yet. I'll wait for it to arrive

You implied that Snopes claim was more virelent than from Hipsters point of view, even though you both quoted the exact same words.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I remember reading an economist who was director of a non-partisan economic think tank, and he departed it by mutual consent because he would write opinion pieces in the media, and those opinion pieces were highly critical of government policy, even if not put across in a partisan fashion. The think tank was concerned that the director's articles damaged the perceived neutrality of the think tank. The director accepted this, and out of respect for the think tank's reputation, amicably departed for pastures new.

Elon Musk, however, owning what he would have us believe is an absolute free speech town square, appears to have no sense whatsoever of this sort of responsibility.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Elon Musk, however, owning what he would have us believe is an absolute free speech town square, appears to have no sense whatsoever of this sort of responsibility.
That is a kinder assessment than I would grant it.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That is a kinder assessment than I would grant it.
As I read somewhere, there is possibly a public reluctance to recognise what some people may be up to.

The assumption is often that these are just people jockeying for position within the status quo. The risk with Musk (and the blatant aim of the likes of Peter Thiel) is that they actually want a large and decisive change in society and its governance. Musk might be a contemptible crank, but it might also be deliberate strategy.

I don't always know this ends well, though. It seems to me that some of the libertarian and corporate elites were happy to bolster the US further right so long as it was harnessed for the Republican Party, but became alarmed when their astroturf coalesced around Trump and took over, driving protectionism and illiberalism. I wonder if the capitalist wheels have started falling off the right-wing ideological bus (hence why Shapiro is complaining about businesses making profit rather than furthering capitalism). That's one hell of a mess for them to fight over and sort out.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
There is a possibility. It's also now been three weeks and the evidence showing it was a hoax hasn't arrived yet. I'll wait for it to arrive

You implied that Snopes claim was more virelent than from Hipsters point of view, even though you both quoted the exact same words.
The fact that there's no posting of this on republican social media pretty much says it all. If this was a thing republicans were doing, how is it not on their social medias?

As to the matter of if the pics are actually legit or not is itself another thing. The original claim is basically "look at what these dumb people are doing now" and like I said above, that definitely looks to not be a thing. So do you can consider either the claim itself, or the pictures being fake, or both being a hoax? The claim itself is definitely a hoax and if the pictures are legit or fake, does it really matter? You can go to like an rally and get a picture of people holding something stupid. Why you guys go an seek out this dumb content is beyond me.