Funny events in anti-woke world

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Bwah? But...why?
It just...it's gonna confuse a generation of people and make the math sad.
Why? It'll show those knobs in Brussels what's what, innit? Or something like that.

While they're at it bring back the shilling too. 12 pence in 1 shilling, 20 shilling in 1 pound. Like the good old days.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

Well, that sucks for anyone who likes the simplicity of multipying by 10.
My first, instinctive thought on this was "what the fuck????"

My second thought is that this is meaningless. They are proposing to scrap the legal requirement for goods to provided in metric: but this isn't necessarily going to make a lick of difference. The majority of people under 50 (if not 60) are by now more conversant with metric than imperial, so aside from maybe some vendors who almost exclusively sell to oldsters, vendors will carry on using metric. They will only do so more and more over because those familiar with imperial will die sooner. It's a bit like re-introducing tungsten filament lightbulbs: sure, the government can allow them again, but now everyone's seen how much better halogen/LED is, who would use them?

It is however, pretty typical of Brexit bullshit: a great deal of show fighting over long-dead battles to conceal the rottenness of the underlying project. Papering over the cracks in the walls, handing loyalists petty wins as the pounds drain from the economy and their pockets.

And of course, it allows the government to make boastful claims about "cutting red tape", despite the fact that masses of this red tape means sod all.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You're literally in a thread titled events in Anti-Woke world Silvanus? Really of all places [...]
Yeeeeees... its not just this thread, though, is it?

Do you check for Greta Thunberg under your bed before you turn in for the night?

Reactions: Agema

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Come on, don't do it halfway! Go back to STONES as a unit of weight!
That's the spirit. Britain needs to measure in grains again. And bushels, pecks and gills. Furlongs, rods and fathoms. Cords, drams and scruples.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yeeeeees... its not just this thread, though, is it?
No you've been getting pissy in other threads too.
Do you check for Greta Thunberg under your bed before you turn in for the night?
No.
Do you?
Seems like a weird accusation to begin with. I mean it's not her fault she's being used as a tool and hilariously protecting china very heavily.

Dude I literally have a degree in Environmental Chemistry, you really wanna take this line against me? Really?
Is this because I kept pointing out how awful Solar Roadways is? Were you just an investor in it or some true believer in them lol?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Can our foreign policy, and the drone program get any worse?

Why do we have to always do knee-jerk responses? Is ISIS-K bad yes, but do we have to fire, and forget without thinking first.

Edit: The US drone attack in response to ISIS-K killed no ISIS, but 10 civilians including 7 children because of course it did.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
My first, instinctive thought on this was "what the fuck????"

My second thought is that this is meaningless. They are proposing to scrap the legal requirement for goods to provided in metric: but this isn't necessarily going to make a lick of difference. The majority of people under 50 (if not 60) are by now more conversant with metric than imperial, so aside from maybe some vendors who almost exclusively sell to oldsters, vendors will carry on using metric. They will only do so more and more over because those familiar with imperial will die sooner. It's a bit like re-introducing tungsten filament lightbulbs: sure, the government can allow them again, but now everyone's seen how much better halogen/LED is, who would use them?

It is however, pretty typical of Brexit bullshit: a great deal of show fighting over long-dead battles to conceal the rottenness of the underlying project. Papering over the cracks in the walls, handing loyalists petty wins as the pounds drain from the economy and their pockets.

And of course, it allows the government to make boastful claims about "cutting red tape", despite the fact that masses of this red tape means sod all.
I would dare say it would add red tape. Because Bojo has shown he doesn't understand what cutting is

Also, this seems pretty similar to Nicki Minaj. Her husband lost in court just a few hours before her swollen balls tweet, meaning it was just a distraction

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Why do we have to always do knee-jerk responses? Is ISIS-K bad yes, but do we have to fire, and forget without thinking first.

Edit: The US drone attack in response to ISIS-K killed no ISIS, but 10 civilians including 7 children because of course it did.
Look, we have to fight terrorists however we can and damn the enormous number of civilians that get caught in the crossfire. After all, if they didn't like the terrorists, they could just not be nearby at the time. Works for Israel.

Of course, that so many people flock to terrorist organizations after we full throatedly slaughter their neighbors, friends, and family just proves that they were terrorists all along and that their entire culture deserves it.

My State Representative, two minutes after bemoaning Biden's disastrous withdrawal plan leaving people vulnerable to the Taliban

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Look, we have to fight terrorists however we can and damn the enormous number of civilians that get caught in the crossfire. After all, if they didn't like the terrorists, they could just not be nearby at the time. Works for Israel.
Remember, we are the GOOD GUYS, and the GOOD GUYS only kill BAD GUYS. Therefore, anyone killed by bombs dropped by the GOOD GUYS are automatically BAD GUYS.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

"At least he's not Trump"

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I would dare say it would add red tape. Because Bojo has shown he doesn't understand what cutting is
Well, it is absolutely cutting red tape. If there's a mandate to show metric and the government removes it, that's a regulation gone.

However, it doesn't really save anyone significant time and effort. Like I said, I just don't see manufacturers / vendors cutting metric when so many people use it. Back twenty years ago, I get that some small scale vendors had a customer base that almost exclusively used imperial and found having to also list metric an annoying faff. But some things can change fast in a generation.

I went to school in the 80s, and they basically only taught metric even then: imperial just to know the conversion, and even then it was mostly just distance (inch, foot, yard, mile) and volume (pint and gallon). Even though imperial weights were still quite common, I remember struggling to remember what a pound was in grams throughout most of my childhood. I thought about my body weight (to my early 30s) and buying meat (to my early 20s) in imperial, but merely as isolated self-reference. By which I mean I weighed yay much in stones and pounds, and could see whether my weight had gone up and down, but how my weight related to what everything else in the world weighed (that I thought about in metric), I didn't really take in. I knew I generally ate yay much meat in a meal in ounces, but again no relation of that weight to anything else.

Of course, we still use miles for road distances and pints for some fluids (milk and beer). The rest is dead and gone and I don't miss it at all.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Remember, we are the GOOD GUYS, and the GOOD GUYS only kill BAD GUYS. Therefore, anyone killed by bombs dropped by the GOOD GUYS are automatically BAD GUYS.
We destroy everything in our path because we know we're the GOOD GUYS and everything we do is ultimately to save lives. /s

I wish I didn't need a /s there but there seem to be some people who unironically believe that.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

More iconic american incompetence, leading the free world.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
In so much as I'm sure our defence whitepaper meetings are as farcical as they're making out; I doubt he'd dance around saying China so much. We are IN Asia for all intents and purposes related to strategic discussion.
Look, I can't say what in ScoMo's cabinets heads. I do like that the US is taking a more active role against China after they steam rolled Trump for four years. But... now we pissed off the French, making trade and intelligence sharing with them and the EU less likely. That seems rather counterproductive. And leaves us pretty defenseless for at least a decade until some of the deal is followed through with

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Look, I can't say what in ScoMo's cabinets heads. I do like that the US is taking a more active role against China after they steam rolled Trump for four years. But... now we pissed off the French, making trade and intelligence sharing with them and the EU less likely. That seems rather counterproductive. And leaves us pretty defenseless for at least a decade until some of the deal is followed through with
Given, again, that we are in Asia we should be making defence pacts with places like Japan, India and South Korea. They are our friendly neighbours - fuck we should have just asked East Timor if it wanted to be part of the Australian Overseas Territories or petitioned its inclusion within the Commonwealth - who are relevant in the Region. Probably wouldn't hurt to be a bit more chummy with Malaysia and Bangladesh too. Keeping the French onside would have been nice but the reality is they aren't terribly important to our immediate areas of concern. Plus the bloody Frogs have been salty for years that we make better wine and cheese than they do. Also France is not our only entry to the EU, there is still Germany and there's a good chance whatever intelligence the French won't give us directly we'll get from the British or the Americans anyway.