Future of PS3 Skyrim DLC Uncertain

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
Future of PS3 Skyrim DLC Uncertain

"This is not a problem we're positive we can solve," says Bethesda's community lead.

Bethesda Softworks has given another update on the situation surrounding the upcoming DLC expansions for Skyrim on the PS3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119353-Bethesda-Disappointed-Theres-No-PS3-Skyrim-DLC-Yet], and the news isn't pretty. According to the developer's global community lead, there are issues with the DLC's development which Bethesda isn't even sure it can fix, leading to uncertainty as to whether Dawnguard will ever see the light of day on the platform.

In a post on Bethesda's forums, administrator and community lead "Gstaff" attempted to clarify the situation somewhat. "Skyrim is a massive and dynamic game that requires a lot of resources, and things get much more complex when you're talking about sizeable content like Dawnguard," he said. While he didn't elaborate on what the actual problems with the patch are, he stated that the team is doing everything in its power to try and fix them. "We have tried a number of things," he wrote, "but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone." The team can't afford to put their entire resources into just the one patch, either, as work is also underway on Hearthfire. Due to so many new assets being added all at once, "the issues of adding content get even more complicated."

What's truly worrying is what Gstaff says next: "This is not a problem we're positive we can solve." This is always an ominous admission to make, and no less so here. Bethesda is doing everything in its power to try and solve the issues, though, and to that end the team is working closely with Sony to iron out the last few problems.

Various disgruntled PS3 users have been asking Bethesda's head of PR, Pete Hines, about the status of the DLC via Twitter. One user recently asked whether Dawnguard is actually playable in its current state on the PS3, and Hines the game's protracted lag issues on the PS3 when it launched last year [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/241339333402054656].

The company has nothing more definitive to say about the problem, but here's hoping it will be able to fix the issues it's having soon. Gstaff concluded his message by promising an update on the situation as soon as it becomes available, and thanking fans for their patience in this tough situation. "We deeply appreciate the time and support you have given us, and we'll keep doing our best to return that," he said.

Source: Eurogamer [http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1407614-update-on-ps3-dlc/]

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Well, damn.

I don't have a PS3, but this still bugs me. I've tried to stand up for Beth throughout their PS3 woes, but I think it's getting to the point that PS3 owners have a right to be annoyed at this.

For the company to come out and say they may never get the Expansion on PS3 is, frankly, bothersome. Delayed is one thing. Not coming out at all?

Kind of bullshit.

Figure it out Bethesda, you owe your customers that.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
It's not all that often that you hear this kind of honesty from "the other side". I think there should be some credit given where it's due.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Krantos said:
Well, damn.

I don't have a PS3, but this still bugs me. I've tried to stand up for Beth throughout their PS3 woes, but I think it's getting to the point that PS3 owners have a right to be annoyed at this.

For the company to come out and say they may never get the Expansion on PS3 is, frankly, bothersome. Delayed is one thing. Not coming out at all?

Kind of bullshit.

Surely its better to cancel it than release a broken product. More companies should act like this they have put there hands up and said this is our fault we can't get it working but we don't want to release a product that might not work everyone so I say good for them.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
they should've stayed on PC, I mean, by now they pretty much pulled the opposite of the Dark Souls thing.
If a game isn't designed to work under such (I am sorry for this one) low specs as the current-gen console platforms at the end of their life cycle, why force it?
I think you get more tears out of unplayable skyrim console versions (after 2h or something of hard work) than having no skyrim at all.
And, I mean, an affordable gaming pc isn't that hard to get either (you really don't need to pay $100 for mice and keyboard each, for example [inb4 entitled pc gamers whining about badly needed mouse dpi performance and illuminated scriptable keys]) and is actually way less restrictive than any Xbox360 or PS3.

grigjd3 said:
It's not all that often that you hear this kind of honesty from "the other side". I think there should be some credit given where it's due.
I agree. At least they tried and are honest.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
:/
Starting to feel really bad for PS3 owners. Before I was ironically saying "This is why Xbox is better than PS3" but now I just feel bad for them :(.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Hey, if Beths hates money...that's their issue.

Skyrim taught me to never by a Beths game new.

From now on, if I buy one of their games, I'm doing so used.
I'd rather GAMESTOP get my money their these guys.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
getoffmycloud said:
Krantos said:
Surely its better to cancel it than release a broken product. More companies should act like this they have put there hands up and said this is our fault we can't get it working but we don't want to release a product that might not work everyone so I say good for them.
I suppose, but I feel like if they couldn't pull off developing on the PS3 then they should have avoided it.

Now there are a lot of PS3 owners who will probably never have access to the content packs. After all the other stuff they've had to go through with the game, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

I understand why Bethesda wanted to put the game on the PS3, but now that they have, I feel they have an obligation to their customers who bought the game on the system.

Bah, they should have just stuck to the PC and Xbox (very similar architectures).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Rule Britannia said:
:/
Starting to feel really bad for PS3 owners. Before I was ironically saying "This is why Xbox is better than PS3" but now I just feel bad for them :(.
Don't feel too bad, we're used to it at this point. I've seen the DLC and I'm unlikely to buy it when it does become available anyway.
It's actually kind of positive for the ps3; it shows that they might be trying to release a bit of software that will work on it at launch. If they showed that kind of honesty in the first place, I would've got Skyrim at launch instead of waiting for several patches and then borrowing it from a friend.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I don't understand why people are mad at Bethesda here. They seem to be doing everything right to me: They are being open about the current situation, they are trying to fix known issues rather than release a broken product, and they're actively trying to work towards a fix. Sure, they don't have one right now, but it's nice to see a company willing to keep customers in the loop. If Bethesda had just said 'Well, PS3 owners are out of luck, no DLC for you' today and hadn't told us anything before now, it would be different.

You can claim they need to hire better programmers, but if you're mad just because they can't get the code to work, you obviously need to learn more about software development. It is not an easy process. Odd and unexpected bugs pop up all the time and fixing them can be very time consuming, especially for a product this large. That wouldn't be an excuse for releasing a broken product, but Bethesda is specifically avoiding releasing this unless they can make it work, which to me is what they should be doing.

Or would you rather they had just dumped it at the same time as the others and had it brick a bunch of saves while Bethesda shrugged and said 'oh well, unforeseen problem, accidents happen'?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Surely this means that they should fix their fucking save system then. You should always develop for the lowest spec platform and in this case the PS3 is the lowest due to the shortage of RAM. LBP and LBP2 don't use the Save Data folder, they use the Game Data folder. They could use that, and have different save directories for each character, and have the save file then broken down by region or town. Then when a character is loaded up you load up their character file and the file for the region they were last in (information which is saved for that character). When you come near another region, you load up the relevant save for that region as it's loaded. When you leave a region or it comes out of scope of the game, you save that file then drop it from memory.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
getoffmycloud said:
Krantos said:
Well, damn.

Kind of bullshit.

If they did release Dawnguard with it's problems, people would just ***** harder. See the current whining over the dark souls port.

Better to just leave it die if you can't fix it, the back lash is less severe.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Can't they release them on a normal game disc, like they did in the old days? Like Rockstar did with the Undead Nightmare pack for Red Dead Redemption?

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Krantos said:
Well, damn.

Kind of bullshit.

Its not like the ps3 players have paid to have the dlc already -_- why is this any different to xbox getting exclusive dlc other sony?

Yes its shit that they cant make everyone feel equal, but its not like they want it this way, they'll loose money on this and that's not what any company wants. Im glad Bethesda have said this because it shows at least that they care, any other company like EA would have just released it in a broken state to make money then not given a flying fuck over the amount of complaints.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
This is incredibly pathetic from Bethesda, they are about the only company now who can't seem to make games on the PS3 work properly. They've had more than enough time to fucking figure it out by now.

Sheesh.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Woem said:
Can't they release them on a normal game disc, like they did in the old days? Like Rockstar did with the Undead Nightmare pack for Red Dead Redemption?
The problem is: It's not working out well on the PS3 regardless if it's bought on a new disc or downloaded. It's the save game data that is sucking out any tiny little amount of RAM left in the PS3. And until they figure out a smart way to deal with that, it's not gonna help releasing it on a separate disc.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
When ever I hear the word Bethesda I know its going to work on PC (at least with some mods) and looks like its working on the consoles.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
The Red Dragon said:
This is incredibly pathetic from Bethesda, they are about the only company now who can't seem to make games on the PS3 work properly. They've had more than enough time to fucking figure it out by now.

Sheesh.
It is kinda pathetic that they can't develop for the format adequately yet, it's not like it's brand new hardware or anything. Everyone else is managing fine now, even Valve have gotten round to starting to show it some love.

Oh well, frankly Dawnguard sounds like it wouldn't hold my attention for long anyway.