Future of PS3 Skyrim DLC Uncertain

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ya know, if this doesn't come to the PS3 I think I'm gonna stop buying from Bethesda.

I may not want the DLC anymore, but this is just the principle of the matter now. PC and 360 owners can get the DLC, but not the PS3 owners?

I call bullshit.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Okay. I am one of the PS3 players of Skyrim. I... got over the lag issues that I had (I figured out that a reset when it lagged up bad usually fixes things, and even though I have to do it every hour to 90 minutes of game play, with all Bethesda games pretty much, I've adapted). I was patiently willing to wait for Dawnguard, even until 2013 if need be, since I have school going now anyway and probably couldn't play another Skyrim character just now. The Hearthfire DLC... hurt. I am a house-lover, I admit it. I want. So. Bad.

But now, this.

Okay... okay. I love the game. So, if maybe I could just trade in my PS3 discs and get a copy of the PC version? That would help me get over this, a lot. I'm getting a gaming PC by the end of the year. Buying the game full price again just really hurts though. Because I bought it already - pre-ordered and everything - and it just doesn't happen to be the right version... which got made anyway. /sigh
There is a silver lining if you decide to go for PC gaming rig, If you wait for steam x-mas sales I am 100% positive you will get skyrim from 20-30 bucks. If you are a hose lover there is also mods that let you go crazy with house designs. :)
Thanks that's a good tip ^.^ I'm also really looking forward to modded Dragon Age play (squee) - of course I overloaded myself this term so... that's going to have to wait until break if I'm still in one piece by then, mentally speaking.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I think PS3 users have every right to be up in arms.
Personally I'm just apathetic. Even if the DLC is released, Bethesda will get no money from me. There is literally nothing they could do to make it up.

DeGoon

Mar 28, 2008
I personally own Skyrim on the PS3. I do enjoy it for what it is. I'm not going to cry if there is no DLC for the game on this system, but this is what bad PR can flourish in. By the time (if it ever) comes out, the DLC, I will have most likely moved on so far, I won't care to download it, much less play it. That being said, it would make it well worth Betheseda's effort to save face on this issue by selling it much cheaper or pass one of them off as free to the PS3 community. I know that might not seem fair to 360 or PC users, but so far a large chunk of players and potential buyers are going to pass up on it when it does come out, and from the sounds of it, that may be a very long time, if at all.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
lancar said:
Since they released the original for it, it's only fair that the expansions arrive there as well. The transparancy they're showing with all this is also commendable. It's better, and more honest, to admit now that they have problems then to release a buggy mess and hope to fix it later.. yknow, like everyone else is doing with porting jobs these days :/
It's a pity there weren't this honest when they released the pile of shit that was original game. What was it they said? Oh yes, it was "the PS3 version is getting a ton of attention."

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
FelixG said:
Tanis said:
Hey, if Beths hates money...that's their issue.

Skyrim taught me to never by a Beths game new.

From now on, if I buy one of their games, I'm doing so used.
I'd rather GAMESTOP get my money their these guys.
Derp, your game is good enough for me to play but not good enough for you to get payed for!

Classy.
Exactly. Nothing un-classy about voting with your wallet. It is capitalism at its finest afterall.

OT: Fuck Bethesda

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
PS3ers, Bethesda is doing this for your own benefit. They remember what happened what happened with the Skyrim PS3 launch. They don't want you to go through that again.

This is all really strange. When Skyrim launched everyone was up in arms about how the game is unplayable. Now Bethesda is saying, "The DLC is unplayable for a large number of customers, so we're not going to release it until it is." then about half of you respond with, "We'd rather have bad DLC than no DLC."

Spartan Altego

Aug 7, 2012
AzrealMaximillion said:
tmande2nd said:
Well the PS3 is notorious for being hard to use.

But honestly, this is just embarrassing.
If I were them, I would get it to work then sell Dawnguard to them cheaper.
Honestly they did get really ripped off.
Hard to use is no longer an excuse for a console that's been out this long. From Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim it has been Bethesda just not taking the time to learn how the PS3 works.

They're the last company still complaining about the PS3 when really small developers are putting out functioning games on the PS3.

And hell, they release shoddy DLC on the 360 as well. We all remember Fallout 3 right? Seriously Bethesda has a reputation in tandem with Obsidian for releasing not quite finished product.
And unlike Obsidian, Bethesda has no legitimate excuses. I feel pretty bad for the PS3 owners if only because they're missing out. Maybe they'll get the DLC discounted if/when it is released?

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Bethesda also delayed releasing Fallout 3 and New Vegas dlc on the ps3 since they weren't up to Bethesda's standards, they then released the dlc with the exact same well known bugs and issues that 360 users had been dealing with and complaining about, and that was after the initial 360 exclusivity deals had ended. Bethesda has had a long history of the ps3 version being markedly worse, receiving little or no additional support, and then releasing delayed and still buggy dlc. I like their games but am getting pretty sick of the second class treatment.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
I'm glad Bethesda is being so honest about this whole thing, but I have to ask, how in the world did you mess up saving the game? In a generation of games when amazing new technologies are being discovered and utilized, the save system should not be so broken that you first have to release a group of patches to fix it, and then possibly not release a large DLC pack because of it. Come on Bethesda, the PS3 is not a new system full of mysteries and strange dev tools that are wildly different from the PS2, it's six years old.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Tanis said:

Its not their fault you bought a system, and then bought a game for a system that is the hardest to develop for, the least profitable of the three systems this generation (meaning not many multi-platform devs are motivated to help it), and is inherently flawed in its design that is now causing the issues you're having with the game.

If you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at Sony for designing an inherently flawed product. Because this is almost 100% likely related to how badly the PS3 handles RAM and CPU usage.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
I'm pissed, not because I can't get dawnguard but because of the, "we can't put all of our resources into one patch, we are working on Skyrim Sims". How about work on one product and when you get that together move on or have different teams working on stuff. You say that you can't do it because of problems with the original game but how about not releasing buggy products to us PS3 owners. You can say that because of the PS3 specs that there was a problem but everyone else has done well on the PS3 so what's the problem?

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Tanis said:

Its not their fault you bought a system, and then bought a game for a system that is the hardest to develop for, the least profitable of the three systems this generation (meaning not many multi-platform devs are motivated to help it), and is inherently flawed in its design that is now causing the issues you're having with the game.

If you want to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at Sony for designing an inherently flawed product. Because this is almost 100% likely related to how badly the PS3 handles RAM and CPU usage.
This would make sense if everyone else sucked at developing for Sony. It is their fault that they released a buggy game, then a DLC while not fixing buggy game and then working on another DLC while still not fixing the first problem

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
It'd be one thing if they were devoting time to solving this problem. But no, they're busy making another DLC for the XBox. Don't say you can do something you can't do, and then put it off for other stuff.

If this DLC is such an issue for Bethesda, why can't they just start from scratch and make a different PS3 exclusive?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Hmmm, isnt it odd how Oblivion was made for the PC then ported to consoles and it worked fine for all 3, then Skyrim was made for the 360 then ported to PS3 and PC and it doesn't work well for either of them? Hmm...

OT: I respect Bethesda for coming out and saying that they screwed up, and they would rather not release a product than release a broken one. That takes a lot of guts for them to do that. Although what annoys me is the fact that they would rather get the next DLC out the door than focus on getting the previous DLC working for everyone, I expect the same kind of issues with Hearthfire.... After all of this i expect them to release Dawnguard for 50% off for the first week or so, so that the people who are most affected by it, can buy it for a reduced price.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
orangeapples said:
PS3ers, Bethesda is doing this for your own benefit. They remember what happened what happened with the Skyrim PS3 launch. They don't want you to go through that again.

This is all really strange. When Skyrim launched everyone was up in arms about how the game is unplayable. Now Bethesda is saying, "The DLC is unplayable for a large number of customers, so we're not going to release it until it is." then about half of you respond with, "We'd rather have bad DLC than no DLC."
Thats because you assume the same party is making these comments. When they release crappy buggy game there is one faction that speaks loudly about how this is BS and they should have waited until it was polished. I they don't release and tell you the difficulty then you have another faction that loudly states we would rather have a buggy product than none.

See these are two sides of a coin that will get mad. So either way its a catch 22 for bethesda. Someone is always going to get mad.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
shemoanscazrex3 said:
Paragon Fury said:
Tanis said:

This would make sense if everyone else sucked at developing for Sony. It is their fault that they released a buggy game, then a DLC while not fixing buggy game and then working on another DLC while still not fixing the first problem
Almost every developer who develops for more than one platform will tell you that the PS3 is incredibly hard to work with, un-intuitive, and generally, unless you make the PS3 your lead or only platform, the PS3 version of your product will be inferior to the other versions.

Some examples include: Bayonetta, all the most recent Tom Clancy games, Oblivion, Skyrim, Arkham Aslyum and City, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Black OPs I etc. All of these games actually look or play better on their 360 and PC counterparts, all due to how the PS3 works compared to the rest of the gaming world.

Like for instance, the PS3 is actually incapable of having Private/Party Chat during a game like the 360 is, because of how it allocates RAM - its a rather long winded technical explanation (I think the best explanation was on PC Gamer and Kotaku, but the article was a couple of years ago), but the Cliffnotes version is that while the 360 has less RAM than the PS3, it doesn't place any restrictions on how its used; while the PS3 has built-in caps on how much can be used and when, and by what type of software, and it saves that for use even if that software/program isn't being used.

So while its possible for great games to come out on PS3, in order for it to happen the PS3 has to be your focus - which, with it being the least profitable and hardest system to use, isn't terribly appealing to developers.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
FelixG said:
Tanis said:

Derp, your game is good enough for me to play but not good enough for you to get payed for!

Classy.
Damn straight. Bethesda showed me their true colors. At least GameStop pretends to care about me as a customer.