Future of PS3 Skyrim DLC Uncertain

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Darkmantle said:
If they did release Dawnguard with it's problems, people would just ***** harder. See the current whining over the dark souls port.

Better to just leave it die if you can't fix it, the back lash is less severe.
Yes, how dare people complain about paying money for a sub par product. The nerve of some people!

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
If they did release Dawnguard with it's problems, people would just ***** harder. See the current whining over the dark souls port.

Yes, how dare people complain about paying money for a sub par product. The nerve of some people!
It's a different story when the people complaining begged for it in the first place. But that's off-topic.

And to everyone else, this^^^ is what I mean. If Beth releases it, people will just whine, no matter how much the say they want it now.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
SkarKrow said:
The Red Dragon said:
This is incredibly pathetic from Bethesda, they are about the only company now who can't seem to make games on the PS3 work properly. They've had more than enough time to fucking figure it out by now.

Sheesh.
It is kinda pathetic that they can't develop for the format adequately yet, it's not like it's brand new hardware or anything. Everyone else is managing fine now, even Valve have gotten round to starting to show it some love.

Oh well, frankly Dawnguard sounds like it wouldn't hold my attention for long anyway.
What baffles me, is that they developed an entire game (and not a small one at that) on PS3, but DLC is just too much? Really? To me it seems like they wanted to get the game on PS3, naturally to get more sales, but any additional effort is not worth it to them. Why have teams to develop for the PS3, when you've already sold the main product?

I'm sorry, but this is how all this comes across to me at the moment.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Krantos said:
Well, damn.

I don't have a PS3, but this still bugs me. I've tried to stand up for Beth throughout their PS3 woes, but I think it's getting to the point that PS3 owners have a right to be annoyed at this.

For the company to come out and say they may never get the Expansion on PS3 is, frankly, bothersome. Delayed is one thing. Not coming out at all?

Kind of bullshit.

Figure it out Bethesda, you owe your customers that.
Do they? Was this DLC supposed to be free? No? Did users already pay for it? No? Then they do not owe anyone anything. If someone was only willing to plunk down $60 for a game because they expected to be able to plunk down more money later for a few extra features that hadn't even been announced yet, that's their own stupid problem. It's not even like it's an incomplete game without them, unlike say Mass Effect 3 or the Half-Life series...

That said, it's a pretty epic fail on Bethesda's part to somehow create a version of their game that wasn't compatible with its own add-on system, or whatever their excuse translates to in normal-people speak. And the PS3 is supposed to be one of their main platforms; it's not even like they have the excuse that they're used to only programming for the Xbox or PC. Not a good sign if any third-party developer was looking at licensing the Creation Engine for their own open-world game.

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
Jack Rascal said:
What baffles me, is that they developed an entire game (and not a small one at that) on PS3, but DLC is just too much? Really? To me it seems like they wanted to get the game on PS3, naturally to get more sales, but any additional effort is not worth it to them. Why have teams to develop for the PS3, when you've already sold the main product?

Well, Skyrim alreay had severe problems on the PS3 without any DLC (most likely due to the PS3's tiny amount of RAM), I suppose adding any more to the game will make it even harder to run properly.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Jack Rascal said:
SkarKrow said:
The Red Dragon said:
This is incredibly pathetic from Bethesda, they are about the only company now who can't seem to make games on the PS3 work properly. They've had more than enough time to fucking figure it out by now.

Sheesh.
It is kinda pathetic that they can't develop for the format adequately yet, it's not like it's brand new hardware or anything. Everyone else is managing fine now, even Valve have gotten round to starting to show it some love.

Oh well, frankly Dawnguard sounds like it wouldn't hold my attention for long anyway.

Yeah, Skyrim itself works just fine for me so I really don't get whats wrong with it or why it's so hard, as someone's suggest they should consider using the game data utility for saving rather than the save data directory like LBP.

Frankly it's not like it's a small market either, especially outside of the US, here in Europe the PS3 equals or beats the 360 in terms of install base in a lot of countries. A bit of extra effort would go a long way to getting them some heaping profit.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Well the PS3 is notorious for being hard to use.

But honestly, this is just embarrassing.
If I were them, I would get it to work then sell Dawnguard to them cheaper.
Honestly they did get really ripped off.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
tmande2nd said:
Well the PS3 is notorious for being hard to use.

But honestly, this is just embarrassing.
If I were them, I would get it to work then sell Dawnguard to them cheaper.
Honestly they did get really ripped off.
Hard to use is no longer an excuse for a console that's been out this long. From Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim it has been Bethesda just not taking the time to learn how the PS3 works.

They're the last company still complaining about the PS3 when really small developers are putting out functioning games on the PS3.

And hell, they release shoddy DLC on the 360 as well. We all remember Fallout 3 right? Seriously Bethesda has a reputation in tandem with Obsidian for releasing not quite finished product.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Darkmantle said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:

It's a different story when the people complaining begged for it in the first place. But that's off-topic.

And to everyone else, this^^^ is what I mean. If Beth releases it, people will just whine, no matter how much the say they want it now.
I think you're confusing begging with paying for a product. People were asking to buy a product. They weren't asking to have it handed free of charge. It turns out said product is too bad for some peoples standards. That's a completely normal consumer reaction. Whoever made Dark Souls didn't make it because we have pretty blue eyes. They made it so people would buy it. Some people find that the game is sub par. Nothing weird or entitled about that.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Tanis said:
Hey, if Beths hates money...that's their issue.

Skyrim taught me to never by a Beths game new.

From now on, if I buy one of their games, I'm doing so used.
I'd rather GAMESTOP get my money their these guys.
Here here! Im gonna go a step further and buy the GOTY edition used to kill off any DLC money they want from me too.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I am a huge bethesda fan but truth be told with the release of skyim you can see them massively cutting the corners. In oblivion at least there was little gameplay differences between the xbox and the ps3 version (I know I own both), and the PC is different only because of mods.

Now with skyrim the xbox gets an unwarranted amount of resources (patches, DLC, updates) compared to the Ps3 and PC. Sadly the Ps3 gets the worst out of the two because PC's strength is that you can fix problems yourself (while a pain) while the Ps3 has to wait for papa publisher to fix their problem.

skyrim has sold 6.18 million units for xbox, 4.03 million units for ps3, and 2.37 million units for PC (source from vgchartz so take it how you like).

Ps3 players are 1/3rd of your sales/player base bethesda. You better put more effort into helping them especially after all the crap they have been through due to your laziness. I'm willing to bet real money that they have a large majority of their team dedicated to coding for the xbox (around 90%) and for the ps3 i'd wager 8% an PC probably like 2%. Of course this is all BS stats from me but with the results it's hard to draw any other conclusions.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
So PS3 is not going to get Dawnguard because they've got to get the next DLC out so they can get a shitload of Microsoft's money to put them in the same situation later down the road.
Fuck Bethesda.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I don't get to play any of the DLC, and Bethesda doesn't get to make money on it.

Everyone loses. :(

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Subatomic said:
Jack Rascal said:

Well, Skyrim alreay had severe problems on the PS3 without any DLC (most likely due to the PS3's tiny amount of RAM), I suppose adding any more to the game will make it even harder to run properly.
The problems with the PS3 version have been hit and miss, not consistent on all playthroughs (mine is perfectly fine for example). They really should know by now how to develop for PS3, it's not new after all. I think it's possible to get the DLC done, but Bethesda is not interested in investing the effort. They prefer Xbox and PC, that much is clear as day.

And PS3 has the same amount of RAM as Xbox, it's just distributed differently. This really should not be such a big issue for Bethesda.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Bethesda, you're really making yourself look incompetent. PS3 was a magnet for their shitty programming flaws since day 1, now PS3 users who suffered through that probably won't get to play Dawnguard at all. What a load of ass.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Okay. I am one of the PS3 players of Skyrim. I... got over the lag issues that I had (I figured out that a reset when it lagged up bad usually fixes things, and even though I have to do it every hour to 90 minutes of game play, with all Bethesda games pretty much, I've adapted). I was patiently willing to wait for Dawnguard, even until 2013 if need be, since I have school going now anyway and probably couldn't play another Skyrim character just now. The Hearthfire DLC... hurt. I am a house-lover, I admit it. I want. So. Bad.

But now, this.

Okay... okay. I love the game. So, if maybe I could just trade in my PS3 discs and get a copy of the PC version? That would help me get over this, a lot. I'm getting a gaming PC by the end of the year. Buying the game full price again just really hurts though. Because I bought it already - pre-ordered and everything - and it just doesn't happen to be the right version... which got made anyway. /sigh

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Le sigh...so I guess I'll just add Dawnguard to the waiting list of "Not in my lifetime," right beneath the next Half-Life game. Guess this means I can safely remove Skyrim from my PS3 and free up a LOT of space. Bummer.
Maybe I'll go and get it for the 360 instead now.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Okay. I am one of the PS3 players of Skyrim. I... got over the lag issues that I had (I figured out that a reset when it lagged up bad usually fixes things, and even though I have to do it every hour to 90 minutes of game play, with all Bethesda games pretty much, I've adapted). I was patiently willing to wait for Dawnguard, even until 2013 if need be, since I have school going now anyway and probably couldn't play another Skyrim character just now. The Hearthfire DLC... hurt. I am a house-lover, I admit it. I want. So. Bad.

But now, this.

Okay... okay. I love the game. So, if maybe I could just trade in my PS3 discs and get a copy of the PC version? That would help me get over this, a lot. I'm getting a gaming PC by the end of the year. Buying the game full price again just really hurts though. Because I bought it already - pre-ordered and everything - and it just doesn't happen to be the right version... which got made anyway. /sigh
There is a silver lining if you decide to go for PC gaming rig, If you wait for steam x-mas sales I am 100% positive you will get skyrim from 20-30 bucks. If you are a hose lover there is also mods that let you go crazy with house designs. :)

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
The PS3 has been one misstep after another for SONY. Making it intentionally harder to program for, giving it (fixed allocation) RAM amounts that would make an office computer burst out laughing, pricing it the highest of any console at the time, releasing it with low amount of launch titles, and then of course the whole PSN security fiasco.
I gotta hand it to em. Despite all the failings of it, they still managed to make people buy it, though there's no arguing that the other two major consoles, Wii and Xbox360, "won" this generation.

That Bethesda released Skyrim for it was, of course, a no brainer at the time, but I'm sure it has meant no end of headaches for them despite the money it brought in.
Honestly, I can't blame them from having the same problems now with the DLC; they probably worked very hard to finally squeeze the massive Skyrim into the few system resources the console had. And now with Dawnguard and Hearthfire they face the same problems again. More stuff that wants to use the already cramped memory. Hearthfire especially, since graphical customization in-game always eats up lots of it.

That's not to say that Bethesda don't sort of "owe" the PS3 users the content. Since they released the original for it, it's only fair that the expansions arrive there as well. The transparancy they're showing with all this is also commendable. It's better, and more honest, to admit now that they have problems then to release a buggy mess and hope to fix it later.. yknow, like everyone else is doing with porting jobs these days :/