Future of PS3 Skyrim DLC Uncertain

Mar 28, 2011
Every time i read a story about Bethesda's work on PS3;

I notice that at no point are they mentioning what the problem actually is.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Krantos said:
Well, damn.

I don't have a PS3, but this still bugs me. I've tried to stand up for Beth throughout their PS3 woes, but I think it's getting to the point that PS3 owners have a right to be annoyed at this.

For the company to come out and say they may never get the Expansion on PS3 is, frankly, bothersome. Delayed is one thing. Not coming out at all?

Kind of bullshit.

Figure it out Bethesda, you owe your customers that.
PS3 owners (myself included) should already be used to this after what happened with all the smaller Oblivion DLCs that kept being promised but never materialized on the PS3, even on the GOTY edition, like Wizard's Tower, Battlehorn, the vampire lair one, etc. That's why Skyrim resides on my PC this time around.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
If they did release Dawnguard with it's problems, people would just ***** harder. See the current whining over the dark souls port.

Better to just leave it die if you can't fix it, the back lash is less severe.
Yes, how dare people complain about paying money for a sub par product. The nerve of some people!
It's a different story when the people complaining begged for it in the first place. But that's off-topic.

And to everyone else, this^^^ is what I mean. If Beth releases it, people will just whine, no matter how much the say they want it now.
I think you're confusing begging with paying for a product. People were asking to buy a product. They weren't asking to have it handed free of charge. It turns out said product is too bad for some peoples standards. That's a completely normal consumer reaction. Whoever made Dark Souls didn't make it because we have pretty blue eyes. They made it so people would buy it. Some people find that the game is sub par. Nothing weird or entitled about that.
To Bethesda, if it isn't working, do not release it. You should not have to deal with this ^^^

Save yourselves the trouble developers, trust me on this. Look to this example and know your fate.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Well that sucks for PS3 owners. Maybe Bethesda should ask for help from companies that know how exactly to utilize the PS3? Not that they would do that or anything, licensing issues and all...

Don't know what to say really, other then the fact this is a massive shame. Glad the PC version is fine.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Darkmantle said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Darkmantle said:
If they did release Dawnguard with it's problems, people would just ***** harder. See the current whining over the dark souls port.

Better to just leave it die if you can't fix it, the back lash is less severe.
Yes, how dare people complain about paying money for a sub par product. The nerve of some people!
It's a different story when the people complaining begged for it in the first place. But that's off-topic.

And to everyone else, this^^^ is what I mean. If Beth releases it, people will just whine, no matter how much the say they want it now.
I think you're confusing begging with paying for a product. People were asking to buy a product. They weren't asking to have it handed free of charge. It turns out said product is too bad for some peoples standards. That's a completely normal consumer reaction. Whoever made Dark Souls didn't make it because we have pretty blue eyes. They made it so people would buy it. Some people find that the game is sub par. Nothing weird or entitled about that.
To Bethesda, if it isn't working, do not release it. You should not have to deal with this ^^^

Save yourselves the trouble developers, trust me on this. Look to this example and know your fate.
Deal with what, precisely? Potential customers who actually value their time/money and evaluate a product before a purchase and then proceed to complain if said product is shoddy?

Good grief! Are you really suggesting that a consumer making a choice about a game being worth her time/money is a bad thing?

Skyrim came with some pretty huge PS3 issues as far as I understand it. I see absolutely no issue with people complaining about that. In my own case it ran decently stable on my PC and they avoided messing it up too bad with patches so I'm a satisfied customer. Not getting the DLC though.

On the bigger picture and Dark Souls: you seem to think that whoever made DS is owed something? They're not. Those who want the game will buy it and those who don't want it will not. I personally won't, until its price drops substantially, due to various factors.

squ1re

Jun 6, 2011
As disappointed to hear it as I am, this is exactly what I wanted. Just a heartfelt update. Bethesda, thank you.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I don't think he means it would work some people and not others, just that some people would find the lag
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8ofxxJRRz1qg1uns.gif
Is it weird that I can hear lemongrab's voice everytime your gif plays?

The_Shinigamer

Jun 24, 2009
Fact is, Bethesda can't release a game that works anywhere. PC, if you have to mod it to make it work your game is crap. Consoles, if you need day 1 or week 1 patches game=crap. As much as I have previously loved Elder Scrolls they keep getting simpler, tamer and smaller feeling with more and more game breaking and fun killing glitches. The only reason I'll be getting Dishonored is Arkane's cumulative track record and the fact Bethesda's almost 100% hands-off. Count it guys, Brink-Rage-Skyrim. Bethesda's going downhill even if everyone will still buy everything they make forever.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Bethesda made something that doesn't work for PS3? I suppose this is only news since they're not releasing it anyway claiming they totally care about the PS3.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Hopefully Microsoft will get the point and stop paying them for timed exclusivity on DLC. Its just wasted money at this point.

Alternatively they should reward Bethesda's incompetence by paying them MORE to stop working on fixing the issue.

Sony couldn't give a shit either way I'm sure, and if they spend a dime on Bethesda to assist with this then, wow, they got trolled hardcore.

Nintendo continues to trip on shroomz, unconcerned with the petty affairs of this console generation.

Since it may not be readily apparent I own a PS3 and Wii. People seem to enjoy painting me as an Xbot just because I usually have nothing to say about my PS3. I'm equally disappointed with all 3 consoles thank you :)

NEDM

Apr 13, 2010
They'll have it up and running, just as soon as they are done putting these out for microsoft. You know, the same way they did with Oblivion, and fallout 3.

The big loser in all of this is microsoft who paid untold cash to keep them from putting it on the ps3 to begin with. So if bethesda is just incompotent, and not bought and paid for, then Microsoft should get a refund on that bribe.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
The Red Dragon said:
This is incredibly pathetic from Bethesda, they are about the only company now who can't seem to make games on the PS3 work properly. They've had more than enough time to fucking figure it out by now.

Sheesh.
Valve sorted their shit, and so should Bethesda. Hire someone that knows what they're doing.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
It is possible that the PS3's handling of memory just isn't well-workable for the engine that Bethesda built, and wouldn't be fixable without completely rebuilding or otherwise tearing apart the engine specifically to build it towards the PS3, which at this point wouldn't make much sense.

Frankly, I don't think that they should have released on the PS3 with these issues to begin with, as I would implore another company to do if their game absolutely sucked on half of the 360s but worked fine on PS3. There's no shame in admitting that certain hardware is damn-near unplayable with their current engine, and that it isn't financially wise to put all the effort just to make "HURR EVERYONE EQUAL." Newsflash: All systems aren't equal.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I'd say that Bethesda needs to halt any and all future PS3 development. It's pretty clear that they just can't get it right. Given the problems Skyrim has had on the PS3 from the start, it should never have seen the light of day. Pretty sad state of affairs that they can't get their game to work on this one console. Doesn't really inspire confidence for the future, and I would be surprised if any Playstation owner would be dumb enough to buy any more of their games, ever.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm not an electronics expert but I always believed the PS3 to have the superior hardware when compared to the 360. The way I understand it, it's got something to do with the internal structure of the machine which makes it a completely different beast. Seems like it's power was built for flash and not substance.

Tanis said:
Hey, if Beths hates money...that's their issue.

Skyrim taught me to never by a Beths game new.

From now on, if I buy one of their games, I'm doing so used.
I'd rather GAMESTOP get my money their these guys.
I'm sure this must make you feel like some sort of moral crusader for video game justice but in truth you're simply funding the sharks who feed on ill gotten gains, money from that honest developer's hard work. I don't know what Skyrim has done to you personally but if you truly feel that strongly and want to boycott a game dev, do it properly by not buying the game at all, don't hide behind some skewed conception of morality.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
As much as I feel bad about the ps3 owners who bought skyrim for their system of choice, I can't help but feel that sony is getting their deserved punishment for trying to make their system a unique and beautiful butterfly by making their console so complicated to develop for by being a very distant fourth. I won't even pay attention to sony's next console offering.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Subatomic said:
Jack Rascal said:
What baffles me, is that they developed an entire game (and not a small one at that) on PS3, but DLC is just too much? Really? To me it seems like they wanted to get the game on PS3, naturally to get more sales, but any additional effort is not worth it to them. Why have teams to develop for the PS3, when you've already sold the main product?

I'm sorry, but this is how all this comes across to me at the moment.
Well, Skyrim alreay had severe problems on the PS3 without any DLC (most likely due to the PS3's tiny amount of RAM), I suppose adding any more to the game will make it even harder to run properly.
I find it more pathetic if anything that pretty much every other game developer can make PS3 titles with little-to-no problems yet Bethesda is the only one who can't. There's no excuse now to not be able to develop games on it with this many bugs considering how long the system has been out for.

I respect them for being open about their problems but they've got no excuses for them when they've had this long to work on them.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
I'm not an electronics expert but I always believed the PS3 to have the superior hardware when compared to the 360. The way I understand it, it's got something to do with the internal structure of the machine which makes it a completely different beast. Seems like it's power was built for flash and not substance.
Sony has better Hardware, but their software sucks balls. Deliberately restrictive (Vita Memory Card lock), constantly removing features (Linux), and rather illogical memory allocation issues.

Edit: And to everyone else complaining. Please share with us your mystical method of doubling the amount of RAM using only software techniques.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Some examples include: Bayonetta, all the most recent Tom Clancy games, Oblivion, Skyrim, Arkham Aslyum and City, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Black Ops I etc. All of these games actually look or play better on their 360 and PC counterparts, all due to how the PS3 works compared to the rest of the gaming world.
Regardless of how well they look or play, as far I know all of these games actually function well on PS3. Bayonetta, Black Ops, Arkham Asylum/City I know for a fact play with no game breaking issues. Oblivion suffers from the same problem as the PC and 360 versions, which is that Bethesda just never bothered to patch a lot of problems before releasing a GOTY edition. As for how they look, the gap between the PS3 and 360 is negligible.

The fact of the matter here is that Skyrim is broken on the PS3. Its not a minor graphical difference or a slightly lower frame rate, the save feature is fundamentally broken. You can't put that down to the PS3's hardware alone. When developing for the PS3 they already knew this problem existed, because it was present in Fallout New Vegas. To some degree there are fundamental problems with the way their games handle saves, as I've found on the PC versions of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Now I'm not going to try and say what Bethesda should do, this doesn't even affect me because I play on PC, because that would imply that I had some knowledge as to how Skyrim handles the hardware on the PS3. But if they really wanted to put it on the PS3 to begin with then they should have sorted this out before it shipped. Yes developers whine about the PS3's hardware, but I don't see anyone else putting out a game that they knew wouldn't agree with it.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
I think this is bullshit, has anyone else noticed that bethesda hasn't said what's wrong with the DLC? From the sound of things they know exactly what's wrong with it, and if it's the PS3's memory storage issues, then they've fixed it before, multiple times, over half a fucking decade, Seriously, they've encountered this problem before, to not have a working fix is inexcusable.

"We have tried a number of things," he wrote, "but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone." The team can't afford to put their entire resources into just the one patch, either, as work is also underway on Hearthfire. Due to so many new assets being added all at once, "the issues of adding content get even more complicated."

I don't understand why they just can't delay hearthfire either, to say "Hey guys, we're really sorry we haven't got that content you really wanted to use to work yet, but we just can't afford to make it work right now because we're working on more new content for the other guys that you won't be seeing until we fix the problems with our first batch of content" Is really insulting, Bethesda are just rubbing salt in the wound, now doesn't anyone think they should be making fixing the DLC issues their top priority before they work on the next one?

or am i the last sane man on earth in that regard?