Gabe Newell: Three "Big Announcements" From Valve in Next Year

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Most of the suggestions in this thread (sequels to successful game franchises) would not be surprises. Those are expected.

I'm thinking one of the surprises will be they're buying Mojang and porting Minecraft to Source. That would make me laugh too if I was Gabe.

bpm195

May 21, 2008
1. They'll be adding hats to L4D3
2. Half Life 2: Episode 3 will be rebranded as a post apocalyptic hat simulator.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
2fish said:
Valve Kart! You get to choose a character from any valve game and there are upgrades of the track like portal guns, spy cloaks, and hats that give you powers for a set amount of time!

Oh...wait that's my personal dream....

I am not sure Portal 2 counts as a surprise, they told us about it. Maybe a RTS game?
Oh lord that would be epic, g man motor bike for the win!
He could freeze time and yell "wake up and smell the ashe's *****!"

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
My predictions:

-Steam on Xbox?
-New, original IP (besides DotA)
-Half Life 3, with Source engine 3 (its so updated it cancels out version 2)

I dont know, trying to think about things that would surprise me- what would really surprise me would be something like a sequel to Opposing Force or something, if they could work with Gearbox or whatever it took to get that going. Still, I don't think it'll ever happen

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I'm hopeing its Episode 3, Counter Strike 2, and maybe some other new game.

But mostly, it'd better be episode 3.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I've been disappointed too often when I was hoping for ep3. So this time I' sure it's not ep3. It wouldn't make any sense anyway with the Portal 2 release in february.

Let's see, 3 surprises
-One is obviously DOTA
-One could be l4d for ps3
-Maybe a completely new ip

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
That Telltale crossover thingy must be one of them, and I'm gonna say one of the others is that their back catalog will be rereleased as digital downloads on the PS3 shortly after Portal 2 comes out. The third is probably DotA, but maybe they aren't counting that as a surprise since everyone knows it's happening now.

To anyone who thinks Valve is even capable of creating a new IP at this point, let's review their back catalog. Half-Life, three mods that they bought out and developed on, one game based heavily on an indie project by a team they bought out, and one game by a company they bought out at least a year before it was finished and its sequel.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Pandora92 said:
Ok my solid predictions now are:

1. Steam for Linux
2. DoTA variant by Valve
3. L4D for the PS3

:p
Took longer than I expected for someone to hit on my big guess; porting over Left 4 Dead to the PS3. I assure you... that would make them serious bank, and the idea can't have gone unnoticed since they began this little partnering dealie nice-nice with Sony.

The other two? DoTA and a trailer for Episode 3. No, kids, you're not getting a release date. Just a trailer. If you're nice, they may even release it before Decemeber 2011.