Game Articles and Videos Thread

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Wildpie101, the creator behind "The Dumshits guide to Dark Souls", released his final episode.

He's stopping upload on the series and the channel itself, due to feeling burned out and not having ton of time to create more videos.

Best of luck to this man; made my early 20s a lot better

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ehhhhhh, video game adaptation don't exactly have a good reputation. Beside, I'd rather have a new game than what would almost certainly be a not that great movie.
Wrong. You have a great first game that aged mostly fine, but dated in other areas. A second game that while good, lacks the atmosphere and soundtrack of the first game, and is too much of a Resident Evil Clone. I agree on the new game part or a remake.

Thoughts?

No thank you.

1. A movie already exists based off the novel.
  2. Parasite Eve (PS1) is a sequel to the original novel. That would just make things more confusing.
  3. I rather SE use that money to just make a new game and remake the first game.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My thoughts: We need to stop chasing "legitimacy" for games with movie adaptations. Video games make more money than movies do these days; they don't need Hollywood to come along and pat them on the back and say "sure, kid, you're a real art form".
Agreed. With that said, I don't mind an adaption, so long as it's actually necessary or they want to make a good and entertaining movie or TV show. As we've seen we're getting more adaptions each day We still get some bad ones every now and then either actually turned out good, great, or done behind people that care about the project and what they're doing. I'll take what we have now any day of the week, than what we got back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Thanks... interesting vid, a perfect example of something that's been bothering me a bit about the DD2 marketing cycle. It's one of those games that critics and fans want to love so it's being excused for things other games get criticized for.

- All the NPCs coming up to the playable character and talking quests at them but it's ok because you're the Arisen and everybody knows that. Other games get criticized for this exact thing, and of course FromSoftware is beloved because you're just a nobody hollow. Gamers and critics claim to love games where the world goes on without you but here we are loving the opposite.
- All the walking, brutal save and fast travel requirements, and tough inventory limits. Remember last year when Starfield had an inventory limit and the whole internet rioted? But it's ok in DD2 I guess.

I even scrolled down to the one of the comments in the thread where someone felt the game looked like it was a time waster and the replies were accusing them of being a Ubisoft fan. Thank goodness we don't yet live in a world where the only choices of games are brutal old-school RPGs or Skull and Bones.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thanks... interesting vid, a perfect example of something that's been bothering me a bit about the DD2 marketing cycle. It's one of those games that critics and fans want to love so it's being excused for things other games get criticized for.

- All the NPCs coming up to the playable character and talking quests at them but it's ok because you're the Arisen and everybody knows that. Other games get criticized for this exact thing, and of course FromSoftware is beloved because you're just a nobody hollow. Gamers and critics claim to love games where the world goes on without you but here we are loving the opposite.
- All the walking, brutal save and fast travel requirements, and tough inventory limits. Remember last year when Starfield had an inventory limit and the whole internet rioted? But it's ok in DD2 I guess.

I even scrolled down to the one of the comments in the thread where someone felt the game looked like it was a time waster and the replies were accusing them of being a Ubisoft fan. Thank goodness we don't yet live in a world where the only choices of games are brutal old-school RPGs or Skull and Bones.
The reason Dragon's Dogma 2 gets so much leeway in this case is because:

1. The previous game is known for doing these things, but it's a lot more janky. Wow this game is a bit darker, both are light-hearted to an extent and it was part of the previous games charm. Praising but never over praising. The fact that there are way more dialogue and interaction options is probably what helps.
  2. It's Hiedaki Itsuno's baby. The guy that did Devil May Cry 3 4, and 5. Capcom is known to have a lot of d&d fans back in the day, and that still applies now to an extent. Itsuno is one of the ogs from the 90s arcade days and he's never left. The fact that he's such a cool dude and just wants to make good games without being overly harsh nor up his own ass about it helps. The man is a friendly guy to be around in it's proud of the work he's done and the people that helped him get far.
  3. Capcom is in most people's good graces again, so they're letting it slide. There's a cycle to these things.

Last edited: