Game Articles and Videos Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Can you imagine accidentally losing a blood stain after, say, half way? I'd kill myself and anyone else within a one mile radius.

Somewhere, someone watched this video, and probably has enough free time to try it. So, let’s say they dedicate an average of 16 hours a day for this (*realistically* speaking), and spend the next oh, 27.5 years on accomplishing what no sane person could or should even want to. That means we’d probably be reading about it on our holodecks around the time the PS10 is announced.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Somewhere, someone watched this video, and probably has enough free time to try it. So, let’s say they dedicate an average of 16 hours a day for this (*realistically* speaking), and spend the next oh, 27.5 years on accomplishing what no sane person could or should even want to. That means we’d probably be reading about it on our holodecks around the time the PS10 is announced.
I'm chalking this up as patently impossible. No one could stand a minimum of 16 hours a day of monotonous repetition; they’d go insane within the first day or two given the prospect that this is going to take damn-near half a lifetime..

Off-topic, reminds me of John Cage’s “As Slow As Possible,” a piece he wrote that has been playing in Germany since 2001, slated to take 639 YEARS to complete. As impressive as it sounds, it's ultimately just really dumb in the end. I mean, no one born 600 years from now is going to know or care why it even started; what would there be to celebrate?

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is from a Devil May Cry fan on the fan site forums. I don't agree with everything, but most of the design decisions and changes to the series, don't bother me too much, but I see where he's coming from. The first game still has its own unique horror style that any other game has yet to match. Maybe some of the end levels in the second game, but not much else.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is from a Devil May Cry fan on the fan site forums. I don't agree with everything, but most of the design decisions and changes to the series, don't bother me too much, but I see where he's coming from. The first game still has its own unique horror style that any other game has yet to match. Maybe some of the end levels in the second game, but not much else.

DMC was always a weird game for me because it never felt like a game that ever really knew what direction it wanted to go.

I enjoy the individual games enough and i think 5 was by far the best game. But if you asked me who the characters were i couldnt tell you. I mean i could tell you names, but nothing about them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DMC was always a weird game for me because it never felt like a game that ever really knew what direction it wanted to go.
I was always on and off with the series until about 2007, but even I noticed around 4. Still had no problem with Nero though.

But if you asked me who the characters were i couldnt tell you. I mean i could tell you names, but nothing about them.
I can. You need extra details...talk to me....or watch this awesome guy.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Daaaaaaammmnnnn. I was thinking this was something requiring a certain modicum of insanity even abusing the best farming locations let alone perhaps duping boss souls or something. But staying on Undead Asylum...that is a master class of...well, dedication is the obvious choice noun.

Guessing one might need to take up permanent residency there after a feat like this too.
I mean, fucking why? Why would anyone even try this? What does anyone gain from such an exercise? I mean, as a thought exercise, sure but beyond that?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Apologize if anyone has already posted this.

I haven't played Shemue but I get the gist of why people like it and I understand what drew people to the first two games even if I missed out on them at the time(and at this point it probably wouldn't be worth it to go play through them). But man, listening to the poor guy talking about how the game broke his heart was just sad. Also the whole bit about the 2000 Yuan wine, which just strikes me as a form of torture that no sane game developer should entertain in this day and age. That's before he reveals the whole thing is repeated later on with a 5000 Yuan item. I feel the pain and frustration just listening to him talking about it and I didn't spend 20 fucking hours dealing with that BS(if I had I imagine I'd be in Japanese prison right now for attempted/actual murder).

I mean, if there's a fan of the series here who can tell me I'll listen, I guess but it just comes across as deliberately fucking with your fanbase for no reason at all to win over no new fans in the process, satisfying absolutely no one.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I haven't played Shemue but I get the gist of why people like it and I understand what drew people to the first two games even if I missed out on them at the time(and at this point it probably wouldn't be worth it to go play through them). But man, listening to the poor guy talking about how the game broke his heart was just sad. Also the whole bit about the 2000 Yuan wine, which just strikes me as a form of torture that no sane game developer should entertain in this day and age. That's before he reveals the whole thing is repeated later on with a 5000 Yuan item. I feel the pain and frustration just listening to him talking about it and I didn't spend 20 fucking hours dealing with that BS(if I had I imagine I'd be in Japanese prison right now for attempted/actual murder).

I mean, if there's a fan of the series here who can tell me I'm wrong, I guess but it just comes across as deliberately fucking with your fanbase for no reason at all.
Yeah I saw this. Shenmue fans to me are like Cleveland Browns fans (a football team who never wins anything), and you just have to wonder.....fucking why?

I get how you might have liked the game when it first came out because it was a new thing back then, but literally every open world game ever made since then (except Fallout 76) has far and away surpassed it.

It's like loving a TV show or Cereal as a kid and one day you randomly watch an episode or buy a box and try it all over again....only to realize it's the worst shit ever.

I did buy Shenmue 1&2 on Steam for like $4, and I couldn't play it for more than like 20 minutes. It's so unbelievably archaic that only by it being the first game of it's kind could it have ever had fans imo. But trying to go back and play it is like trying to play Snake on an abacus.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I mean, if there's a fan of the series here who can tell me I'll listen, I guess but it just comes across as deliberately fucking with your fanbase for no reason at all to win over no new fans in the process, satisfying absolutely no one.
The Yakuza games are the better versions of Shenmue. I remember some user threw a biatch fit at me back on the V1 thread for it. I told him to fuck off.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I did buy Shenmue 1&2 on Steam for like $4, and I couldn't play it for more than like 20 minutes. It's so unbelievably archaic that only by it being the first game of it's kind could it have ever had fans imo. But trying to go back and play it is like trying to play Snake on an abacus.
I could possibly imagine getting into the first two IF I was in the mindset of playing them with historical appreciation in mind, but even then I imagine it would involve a lot of caveats. I played Mario 64 and Zelda: OOT and while I don't either either game is bad, they haven't aged particularly well in light of 20 years of game development. Same with the first Metal Gear(oh my god the first Metal Gear is a rough play now) as well as MGS.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, fucking why? Why would anyone even try this? What does anyone gain from such an exercise? I mean, as a thought exercise, sure but beyond that?

Because they are insane. Or bored. Or insanely bored. Yeah, the probably that last one.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
When Ragnarok comes out, beat them to it. Marathon that shit!

We're working on our own video essays. We've got a new documentary in the works (not announcing game yet), we've got our first big video essay for the movies channel coming up on a movie near and dear to my heart, and we're working on other things to in this realm. Should have some really cool stuff out this year.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It makes a great point about how a dynamic camera could’ve worked much better in the new GoW. They could’ve made a hybrid of the old and new, where you could focus on the combat during melee and when you readied the axe for throwing it would switch to free cam. They certainly should have the skills for it based on past games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock