Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Well I'm probably no where near the first to say this but...... really......really? Dead Space beat out both Half Life AND Portal???? from a story telling perspective few games are as engrossing as Half Life, and Portal was well.....Portal nuff said.

Most of the rest of the games I can see getting a spot, although I would have liked to see the elder scrolls in there....

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
dead space does not deserve a place on the list, and to put bioshock but not system shock shows the game development community's youth

missing:
system shock 1&2
ultima 3-7
ultima underworld
stalker soc
star control 2
planescape torment
sonic (2d games)
konami sidescrolling nintento games with protagonists that have no faces
castlevania symphony of the night (even yahtzee liked it)
metroid prime series, tied with mario 64 for the ultimate example of how to translate a 2d platformer into a well built 3d adventure that perfectly captures the feel of the universe

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
randomsix said:
Leftnt Sharpe said:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?
Because it's harder to make an AAA title out of one. They still make them indie though.

OT: A lot of the higher ranks go to older games. Perhaps this is an indication of a trend of quality?
I've been looking for an indie BG-style 3/4 isometric RPG for ages, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? The only things I've found that were even close have been Avernum/Jeff Vogel and the upcoming Age of Decadence, but those are a very different beast.

I have half a mind to make one myself, I think the demand is great enough to turn a profit -- even with 2d graphics.
Not sure if anyone has answered you, I'm too lazy to check all 6 pages, but allow me to introduce (or reinforce anyone else's introduction of) http://basiliskgames.com/ Makers of the excellent Eschalon Books I and II (and soon to be III).

snow

Jan 14, 2010
I sensed something... Almost as if millions of half life fans cried out in unison...

OH WELL~! 8D

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
Am I the only one who is happy to see that the devs put Ever Quest ahead of World of Warcraft?

Also, no Final Fantasy games? Really? C'mon, during their good times, there were some fantastic final fantasy games.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
I have to say that not seeing Civilization or Ultima on this list completely invalidates it for me.

Those two series were two of the most influential and beloved game series of all time.

This list must have been made by a bunch of 20 year olds.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
zombie711 said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Not one of these games was made for the App Store.
Except
Monkey Island
Mass Effect (series)
Devil May Cry
Tomb Raider
Metal Gear Solid
Call of Duty:
Silent Hill
Assassin's Creed
Dead Space
I understand the need to pwn him, which you did, but spoiler tag it next time?

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Kanatatsu said:
I have to say that not seeing Civilization or Ultima on this list completely invalidates it for me.

Those two series were two of the most influential and beloved game series of all time.

This list must have been made by a bunch of 20 year olds.
I am 15 and I would have put civilization on there. And elder scrolls. And fallout. And half life. Wait, who the fuck made this list anyways?

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
These are favorites of a polled demographic. To say that a bunch of people can tell you the best of any subjective thing is absurd.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
You'd think capcom would be handling their franchise better with it being number 10.

for shame

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
drakythe said:
ResonanceGames said:
randomsix said:
Leftnt Sharpe said:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?
Because it's harder to make an AAA title out of one. They still make them indie though.

OT: A lot of the higher ranks go to older games. Perhaps this is an indication of a trend of quality?
I've been looking for an indie BG-style 3/4 isometric RPG for ages, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? The only things I've found that were even close have been Avernum/Jeff Vogel and the upcoming Age of Decadence, but those are a very different beast.

I have half a mind to make one myself, I think the demand is great enough to turn a profit -- even with 2d graphics.
Not sure if anyone has answered you, I'm too lazy to check all 6 pages, but allow me to introduce (or reinforce anyone else's introduction of) http://basiliskgames.com/ Makers of the excellent Eschalon Books I and II (and soon to be III).
That looks right up my alley, thanks. Looks a little more in the Fallout/Arcanum mold, but there's nothing wrong with that.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
BrionJames said:
Devil May Cry, World of Warcraft, and Deadspace do not belong up there. At all.
Its "favourite", not "best". Did you actually read anything besides the misleading headline of the article? Its not subjective, its opinionated.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
So they did! I stand corrected sir.
MisterDyslexo said:
BrionJames said:
Devil May Cry, World of Warcraft, and Deadspace do not belong up there. At all.
Its "favourite", not "best". Did you actually read anything besides the misleading headline of the article? Its not subjective, its opinionated.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
We all know the true winner was Pokemon.. They were just all to embarrased to say it.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I have only played 3 of them (WoW, Mario and Assassins creed) and I only liked Assasins creed and to a lesser extent WoW out of those 3.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Seriously.. I know it's subjective and all..but you just can't put Dead Space and not put the Half Life series there somewhere.