Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Time to add Dany to your Hitlist Arya...

I think its now time we slay a Dragon....for the last time.

Yep, this pretty much was the Sacking and Razing of Troy 2.0:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
1000% worth skipping Mother's Day dinner for that (sorry Mum!)

Almost makes up for how bad Season 7 was. I am ecstatic over how damn good that episode was.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I mean, I get it... just as always some of the scenes are strange.

The Northmen engaging in slaughter of citizens? Even openly defying Jon when he tells them to stop? I thought the North were sworn to him above all?

The Scorpions that could previously 360 noscope a dragon are now all completely useless?

All I want is consistency... this episode had none.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Samtemdo8 said:
RIP Varys.
Poor Varys. I expected more from him. Its the same with his rival little finger. Both die because their last episodes has them quite suddenly forgetting how to plot. Littlefinger dies trying to....make two teenage girls fight, and Varys masterplan was just walking up to Jon Snow and getting executed for it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Abomination said:
The Northmen engaging in slaughter of citizens? Even openly defying Jon when he tells them to stop? I thought the North were sworn to him above all?
It's not totally unreasonable: sacking cities has been the norm forever (it was still going on in WW2 at least) and they'll ignore their officers to do so. However, it would normally be more expected when a force has had to fight its way in, and their blood will be up with the stress and rage of battle. Although this motivation isn't there, it might be very hard to restrain them if they saw the rest of the army let loose to have fun and plunder.

One way or another, this episode is still just more shitty scripting and expediency.

I just don't think turning Dany into a massively bloodthirsty, civilian-murdring monster in two episodes is really doing seven and a half seasons of character development learning how to be a strong and just queen any justice at all. You can say she's always had a penchant for harshness when faced with injustice, but not to the point of indiscriminate slaughter. Oh, but "Targaryen madness", sure, that explains everything then. The Jaime Lannister arc seems to me like a screw-up, too for similar reason. All that time dwelling on honour and good conduct, his disgust at his sister's rule, and last couple of episodes just suddenly junks it in at the end as if all those years didn't happen. Cleganebowl was always going to be the most facile of facile crowd-pleasers, and numerous major characters casually and even unconvincingly disposed of in a sort of convenient "let's quickly wrap these threads up" fashion.

Hades said:
Poor Varys. I expected more from him.
Yes, schemer extraordinaire, who's skilfully kept his head whilst his plots have worked away, and then suddenly cack-handedly exposes himself and gets removed... because reasons!

Varys might be slippery, but he very much comes across as a "good guy": at many points it is expressly clear he values and has a major aim of the competent running of the realm. He's nothing like Littlefinger, who wanted power for his own sake.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Abomination said:
I haven't seen the episode yet, but this seems somewhat realistic. Historically , it was and still is common for even otherwise disciplined armies to go off looting, plundering, raping or wholesale massacring. Even if their commander orders his army not to, they can't generally do much about it in the moment. I guess only the Unsullied would actually stick to orders without exception, but the Northmen don't strike me as that disciplined. Loyal perhaps, but not disciplined.

The Scorpions that could previously 360 noscope a dragon are now all completely useless?
I'm assuming the Scorpions were manned by faceless mooks? If so, that's your explanation. Euron can 360 noscope dragons, because he's an important named character and so conservation of ninjutsu dictates the Scorpion basically an aimbotting death machine. But the writers would never let jobber nobidies do something that big, so 100 Scorpions are pointless fodder that graduated from the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship and can only inconvenience an important named character.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chimpzy said:
Abomination said:
I haven't seen the episode yet, but this seems somewhat realistic. Historically , it was and still is common for even otherwise disciplined armies to go off looting, plundering, raping or wholesale massacring. Even if their commander orders his army not to, they can't generally do much about it in the moment. I guess only the Unsullied would actually stick to orders without exception, but the Northmen don't strike me as that disciplined. Loyal perhaps, but not disciplined.

I'm assuming the Scorpions were manned by faceless mooks? If so, that's your explanation. Euron can 360 noscope dragons, because he's an important named character and so conservation of ninjutsu dictates the Scorpion basically an aimbotting death machine. But the writers would never let jobber nobidies do something that big, so 100 Scorpions are pointless fodder that graduated from the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship and can only inconvenience an important named character.
King's Landing was sacked, razed, and butchered AFTER they singled that they surrendered.

Dany was probably hearing the ghost of her father saying to her "BURN THEM ALL" but if you want my theory on this, she did this to deny Jon King's Landing if he ever becomes the ruler the people want.

Cleganebowl happened and its arguably the best part of the episode.

Varys, Sandor, The Mountain, Qyburn, Jaime, Cersei, and Euron are dead.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Agema said:
Abomination said:
It's not totally unreasonable: sacking cities has been the norm forever (it was still going on in WW2 at least) and they'll ignore their officers to do so. However, it would normally be more expected when a force has had to fight its way in, and their blood will be up with the stress and rage of battle. Although this motivation isn't there, it might be very hard to restrain them if they saw the rest of the army let loose to have fun and plunder.
That's the thing though, their attack on the city was a cakewalk - and everyone had been talking about surrender, and how this is about outing the Queen and not harming the people. There was no long drawn-out siege, there was next to no suffering by the attackers, and the enemies had SURRENDERED. The buildup to the North being opposed to Danerys, not trusting her, expecting her to be like her namesake, and the North's general reverence and love for the honour of their lords is just dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Watching the Unsullied go ham would make sense, they're following Grey Worm's lead. But the Northmen would at least show... concern about attacking a surrendered enemy, let alone engaging in outright rape and pillage of a surrendered city as well.

Chimpzy said:
Thing is, it wasn't JUST Euron's scorpion that took out the second dragon. It was hit by THREE bolts out of... five? Then there was the city towers also which, in theory, should be MORE accurate and would have been alerted to the dragon attacking the fleet.

She used the sun at the start, that makes good sense, but then it just turns into open season. I'd have expected her to attack during the night over several days. The watchmen would have to light torches so they can see on the battlements while a dragon flying in the air does not require such to navigate. But no, it's just using the sun once and then... Stormtrooper aim.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Samtemdo8 said:
I was not aware Dragon Fire can break through Concrete Walls...
It makes you wonder why she bothers with a army at all. They did very little and probably got burnt by Dany anyway.

Also, why is the army outside of the city again?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
trunkage said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I was not aware Dragon Fire can break through Concrete Walls...
It makes you wonder why she bothers with a army at all. They did very little and probably got burnt by Dany anyway.

Also, why is the army outside of the city again?
Don't belittle the idea of having an army outside the walls to defend the city. It worked in Troy 2004:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Abomination said:
Northerners are probably still pissed about Ned and Robb Stark. Southerners killed the first, and were complicit in the death of the latter. So...yay for vengeance.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Agema said:
Word. I don't have much to add when it comes to the ineptitude of the writing that this last season of GoT has shown.

However, I will say that this was one of those episodes that shows just how good everyone else involved with GoT, that isn't the writers and showrunners, are. The sheer spectacle is impressive, the actors (except Kit "One Look" Harrington) delivers brilliant performances, the camera crews and cinematographers provide shot after shot that just nails it and the score is as great as ever. It is a terrible shame that all this film making excellence is wasted on delivering a story that's so poorly told and executed.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
So....your move Amazon's Lord of the Rings.

You fuck up its all over for Fantasy in Film and Television.
Um...how?

What, if LotR fails, it's all over for the genre?