Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Samtemdo8 said:
Was Season 2 of HBO's Rome better then this?
Season two of Rome had its problems but it wasn't bad nor illogical, merely a little rushed at times. And James Purefoy as Anthony makes everything better.

Amusingly some very important faces from Rome went on to star in Game of Thrones. Caesar became a barbarian king, Brutus became an inept noble and Niobe got completely crazy.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
The writing certainly was not the issue with Rome Season 2, it was the complete crunch of events into a small number of episodes. That said, it was still frggin' awesome.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hades said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Season two of Rome had its problems but it wasn't bad nor illogical, merely a little rushed at times. And James Purefoy as Anthony makes everything better.

Amusingly some very important faces from Rome went on to star in Game of Thrones. Caesar became a barbarian king, Brutus became an inept noble and Niobe got completely crazy.
And Thomas Jefferson was Stannis the Mannis.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
bartholen said:
Fuck Benioff and Weiss. I hope they never get to write anything ever again.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Untitled_Star_Wars_film_series

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
bartholen said:
Please do a SWTOR movie detailing the rivalry between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire.
Yay...

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Does anyone else remember last season when Dany was totally opposed to anything that could hurt even a single person in King's Landing and would do everything in her power to not just swoop in and murder death kill Cersei because it might hurt innocents? And how that was used as an excuse for her pointlessly dividing her forces so that Euron Sparrow could kill them of piecemeal?
Come this episode her previous reasoning is forgotten and she's suddenly ready to become genocidal and kill everyone to get her birthright. All so that there can be some drama about whether she's fit to rule or not. There's no seeding here, from one season to the next she goes from "breaker of the wheel and killer of tyrants" to "MY IRON THRONE! CERSEI IS A MEANIE AND I HATE HER!".

What infuriates me the most though is that this episode had not one, but two separate scenes where we are reminded that Sansa grew and became a capable woman because Ramsay raped her. The tone deafness of repeatedly saying that Sansa was formed by men abusing her is extreme and shows that, try as they might to pose as feminists, the show runners still buys into the old dichotomy that men do while women are done to. Because heaven forbid that Sansa had the agency to actually learn on her own.

Hawki said:
bartholen said:
D&D are terrible at writing details first drama, but their flair for "unexpected" and "cool" could actually lend them really well to a Star Wars script. Star Wars is less about nuanced characters playing their motivations and desire off of each other and more about epic conflicts between black and white, so D&D are a natural fit.

I am much, much more worried about Confederate. A show about alternate history where the Confederate States of America fought to a stalemate and the US in modern time is split into two? With a lot of focus on slavery as a modern institution? Penned by D&D? Themes like slavery are not something you should ever entrust to the men who think Rape is Drama, that castration is funny and that dropping the words cock and **** into every scene is a sign of maturity.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gethsemani said:
Does anyone else remember last season when Dany was totally opposed to anything that could hurt even a single person in King's Landing and would do everything in her power to not just swoop in and murder death kill Cersei because it might hurt innocents? And how that was used as an excuse for her pointlessly dividing her forces so that Euron Sparrow could kill them of piecemeal?
Her advisors pressed for that, not her IIRC. Tyrion presses for it, Jon presses for it, Dany eventually goes "fuck it" and takes Drogon to the Reach.

Come this episode her previous reasoning is forgotten and she's suddenly ready to become genocidal and kill everyone to get her birthright. All so that there can be some drama about whether she's fit to rule or not. There's no seeding here, from one season to the next she goes from "breaker of the wheel and killer of tyrants" to "MY IRON THRONE! CERSEI IS A MEANIE AND I HATE HER!".
Dany's always had a savage side to her. We saw that in Slaver's Bay. We arguably saw it as early as season 2 when she leaves her Xaro and Doreah to die.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Hawki said:
Dany's always had a savage side to her. We saw that in Slaver's Bay. We arguably saw it as early as season 2 when she leaves her Xaro and Doreah to die.
We also saw it last season with the execution of the Tarlys. So yes, she has a savage side, though D&D has consistently been referring to that as "Dany learning to use force" or similar bullshit (goes back to my previous criticism of GoT as not understanding any other way to empower women but to make them use violence). As late as last season there was pretty much only the Tarly execution scene to show Dany's supposed descent into Mad Queen. Come Season 8 and she's about one and a half step removed from Aerys in terms of ruling.

My beef with it is not that Dany is turning bloodthirsty (which is sort of, but not really, in line with the books depictions of Targaryens), it is that the actual writing surrounding it is rushed and bare bones. A season ago Dany was refusing to do anything that risked the lives of the innocent people of King's Landing, and she refused to do so even after Cersei invoked Deus Ex Euron to decimate her forces. Now she's suddenly and without prior seeding or any real motivator moving towards Mad King Aerys territory with the speed of light. One could infer that it is because she's frustrated that ambitions are being sidelined by Jon, because Sansa is not willingly bending the knee, the death of Jorah or whatever, but the show doesn't show or tell us any of these things. From one episode to the next Dany goes from "reasonable talk with Sansa in the library" to "KING's LANDING WILL BURN!".

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Hawki said:
I don't know I'd use the word savage: I think hard justice is a better term.

Apr 17, 2009
Gethsemani said:
My beef with it is not that Dany is turning bloodthirsty (which is sort of, but not really, in line with the books depictions of Targaryens), it is that the actual writing surrounding it is rushed and bare bones. A season ago Dany was refusing to do anything that risked the lives of the innocent people of King's Landing, and she refused to do so even after Cersei invoked Deus Ex Euron to decimate her forces. Now she's suddenly and without prior seeding or any real motivator moving towards Mad King Aerys territory with the speed of light. One could infer that it is because she's frustrated that ambitions are being sidelined by Jon, because Sansa is not willingly bending the knee, the death of Jorah or whatever, but the show doesn't show or tell us any of these things. From one episode to the next Dany goes from "reasonable talk with Sansa in the library" to "KING's LANDING WILL BURN!".
Honestly my problem is that at no point have any of the people who are either known for being underhanded bastards or for wanting to limit the loss of life for both soldiers and civilians suggested just assassinating Cersei. I mean, you have Arya right there, and she's already got enough beef with Cersei that she's heading off to kill her on her own anyway, just have Dany ask her to do it in a particularly nasty way if you want her to show a ruthless side. You don't get the slaughter of pitched battle, you don't end up burning the city down, and from Varys' summary most of the seven kingdoms are allying with Danaerys anyway so its not like you need a decisive victory to win people over. You just need Cersei out the way and just so happen to have a psychopath with almost as much plot magic as Euron does on your side, why not use her?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Not having watched any, the description from Woolie of 'a 74 hour movie that shits the bed at 70 hours' is one that creates a distinctive sense of relief for not committing earlier. Like a long-term relationship ending through most unsavoury discoveries and nasty turns, just with less emotional/physical collateral.
It becomes considerably more interesting as to how Georgie's book will differ now, if ever released. Will he honour the show or trample mercilessly all over every decision?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
2 hours left till showtime guys.
The board is set. The pieces are moving. We come to at last. The great battle of our time.

...wait, wrong franchise. Um...

"Burn them all!"

Yeah, that'll do.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Arya says she's going to kill Cersei.

And Sandor Clegane is going with her so Cleganebowl confirmed.

And holy shit if Arya manages to succeed in doing so...