Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That did not have the body count I was kind of expecting...

Right now I really liked it but I may change my mind as I think more about it as this episode had plenty of shit that I was busting last seasons balls over ("Oh no, I'm about to die! Oh hey, someone saved me JUST in time!!!!). Maybe I'm still giddy as a child about Endgame but I was happy enough with this last episode.

Also, I take back my prediction on Danny. I think the show runners are setting up for the happy ending after this last episode rather than Thrones as it used to be.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
tippy2k2 said:

Right now I really liked it but I may change my mind as I think more about it as this episode had plenty of shit that I was busting last seasons balls over ("Oh no, I'm about to die! Oh hey, someone saved me JUST in time!!!!). Maybe I'm still giddy as a child about Endgame but I was happy enough with this last episode.

Also, I take back my prediction on Danny. I think the show runners are setting up for the happy ending after this last episode rather than Thrones as it used to be.
I don't know...I feel they lost too much.

The Night King is predictable....Cersei isn't.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
tippy2k2 said:

Sadness will still occur between now and then (somebody major is not going to get to say "not today" to The God of Death) but I just don't see them letting a bad guy win the throne anymore.

Oct 12, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
tippy2k2 said:

Sadness will still occur between now and then (somebody major is not going to get to say "not today" to The God of Death) but I just don't see them letting a bad guy win the throne anymore.
Please. Well all know that Podrick will rise to the Iron Throne with Briene as the head of his guard after everyone else dies in a MacBeth-esque bloodbath in the throneroom.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
RIP Edd.

He's been here since Season 1...
No he wasn't. He didn't appear until Season 2 but they sort of 'No, he was there the whole time, we swear!' it.

Anyways.

As someone who's favorite character was always Arya, I feel pretty good. I fucking loved the knife flip in the spar with Brienne, but I was surprised it ended up being so important. I do wish she was more assassiny in the library area.

More people lived than I thought. Lyanna was the only surprising death. Kinda hoped Jorah would live though, especially after she died. I knew Sam had plot armor, but they didnt have to be so obvious about it.

I do wish Jon and the Night King had a duel. I was all 'Duel of Fates' when they were facing off, but then NK literally 'upped and ran'.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Characters have always had plot armor in Thrones, so I'm not surprised so few actual favorites died. Lyanna and Jorah are the only two that people liked by my count, although Theon is beloved by some. Still, I'm mad the crypts had undead in them. Even if the Starks didn't cremate, then bury their dead, most of those corpses should be ash at this point. Pretty much only should've been a handful.

I am happy that Arya pulled out the win though, as my money was on either her, Jon, or Jamie killing the Night King (with Theon as the long shot).

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
If the Alliance employs those types of battlefield tactics against the Crown, they are solidly fucked.

What kind of madman sends light cavalry on a blind charge into the snow? Why would you put palisades BEHIND your spearmen? Why were the catapults and trebuchets in front of the palisades as well? Where were the pickets with scout riders?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Abomination said:
If the Alliance employs those types of battlefield tactics against the Crown, they are solidly fucked.

What kind of madman sends light cavalry on a blind charge into the snow? Why would you put palisades BEHIND your spearmen? Why were the catapults and trebuchets in front of the palisades as well? Where were the pickets with scout riders?
To be fair Dothraki probably wouldn't have followed better tactics anyway. They likely think tactics are for nerds and wimps. In the lore their conquests even came to an end because they decided to just blindly charge straight into an Unsullied Phalanx rather than flank them. ''Because to the Dothraki men without horses are fit only to be run down'' Jorah sums up.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm not overly impressed. I like Arya but I don't see any reason she would get to kill the Nightking. I suspect its just because pretty much everyone loves Arya and thinks she's really cool rather than for thematic reasons. Jon not being the chosen one kinda brings down Rheagar. There's implication that he desperately sought to fulfill the prophesy of the prince that was promised and that Lyanna might be part of that. But no, he just doomed his dynasty and abandoned his wife and kids because he was feeling horny.

The White walkers are also kinda pathetic, getting defeated in a single episode. Maybe Jon Snow really didn't know anything after all and house Lanister was the true danger all along.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RIP Edd.

He's been here since Season 1...
No he wasn't. He didn't appear until Season 2 but they sort of 'No, he was there the whole time, we swear!' it.

Anyways.

As someone who's favorite character was always Arya, I feel pretty good. I fucking loved the knife flip in the spar with Brienne, but I was surprised it ended up being so important. I do wish she was more assassiny in the library area.

More people lived than I thought. Lyanna was the only surprising death. Kinda hoped Jorah would live though, especially after she died. I knew Sam had plot armor, but they didnt have to be so obvious about it.

I do wish Jon and the Night King had a duel. I was all 'Duel of Fates' when they were facing off, but then NK literally 'upped and ran'.
I guess Jon vs the Night King in a Sword fight would be TOO cliche. But those Cliches are awesome!!!

Fucking Chronicles of Narnia had Peter fighting the White Witch herself:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hades said:
I'm not overly impressed. I like Arya but I don't see any reason she would get to kill the Nightking. I suspect its just because pretty much everyone loves Arya and thinks she's really cool rather than for thematic reasons. Jon not being the chosen one kinda brings down Rheagar. There's implication that he desperately sought to fulfill the prophesy of the prince that was promised and that Lyanna might be part of that. But no, he just doomed his dynasty and abandoned his wife and kids because he was feeling horny.

The White walkers are also kinda pathetic, getting defeated in a single episode. Maybe Jon Snow really didn't know anything after all and house Lanister was the true danger all along.
I guess the show is emphasizing the "GAME OF THRONES" part of the name now.

It was always about the Throne.

Who knows, mabye the books will be more about fighting the actual White Walkers as the real Climax.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Samtemdo8 said:
Hades said:

I guess the show is emphasizing the "GAME OF THRONES" part of the name now.

It was always about the Throne.

Who knows, mabye the books will be more about fighting the actual White Walkers as the real Climax.
I always thought that in the end the show was pushing that it wasn't really about who would sit on the worlds pointiest chair and that the iron throne was just a distraction from the real war.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Hades said:
To be fair Dothraki probably wouldn't have followed better tactics anyway. They likely think tactics are for nerds and wimps. In the lore their conquests even came to an end because they decided to just blindly charge straight into an Unsullied Phalanx rather than flank them. ''Because to the Dothraki men without horses are fit only to be run down'' Jorah sums up.
Oh, so they're stupid AND disobedient - exactly what you want from your light cavalry.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Abomination said:
Hades said:
Oh, so they're stupid AND disobedient - exactly what you want from your light cavalry.
I am more worried that they blew their entire budget on this episode alone.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Abomination said:
Hades said:
Naw, the darkness filter saved a lot on cost.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Abomination said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Abomination said:
Hades said:
Naw, the darkness filter saved a lot on cost.
I feel I am the only one that actually like that the episode was practically pitch black.

The Night Is Long And Full Of Terrors. But then again, I loved the Dark-Blue Lighting of Helm's Deep better:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
I guess Jon vs the Night King in a Sword fight would be TOO cliche. But those Cliches are awesome!!!

Fucking Chronicles of Narnia had Peter fighting the White Witch herself:

Yeah - a boy who's never used a sword or shield prior to arriving in Narnia is able to hold his own against a jinn/giant hybrid who's existed for at least centuries.

Logic!

On the other hand, he'd probably have lost if not for Aslan, so, um, yeah.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Yeah, now I really want someone to make a fanfiction replacing the Night King with Arthas, Arya would have a tougher time stabbing through that Armor of his: