Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Nickolai77 said:
Gethsemani said:
Nickolai77 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
I'm hoping that he's able to live up to his title of Kingslayer by killing the Night King, I don't expect him to live though.
I am really hoping that he will live and that the show will do something with the awesome premise of him and Dany discussing his decision to betray his vows and murder Aerys in order to save all the people of King's Landing. It is exactly the kind of scene that the last season needs in order to remind viewers of the stakes of letting the Targaryens to continue their rule. More realistically, I am expecting him to die for cheap melodrama in order to save Brienne or maybe even Tormund.
After some thought I actually think it's more likely Jamie will survive the battle- I suspect the writers will want to have him kill Cersei at least.

Thoughts on this chart anyone? I actually think Sam will survive, as it's already been heavily suggested earlier in the series that he is the one who will write A Song of Ice and Fire and there's a convincing fan theory that he's actually the author George Martin. I agree everyone on the bottom row will die, their story arcs are done. Gilly will die in the crypts I'm sure which will be sad to see.
I'd say Varys would fall in the ''extreme danger'' category instead. The writers don't really know what to do with him, his arc is cut and his story over. All he can still do is die nicely.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Hawki said:
I wouldn't say no to such a scene, but I can live without it. Jaime's already told Brienne the truth about what happened, and by extension, he's telling the viewer. Similarly, Dany's already accepted that her father was a terrible person.
Here's the problem.

One, it's been two seasons and three years since the audience was last reminded King's Landing is sitting on a cache of wildfire that could blow the entire city into low orbit, and the only people who know about it are the ones either A) crazy enough to use it, or B) willing and crazy enough to try to prevent its use. Such a scene would remind viewers of it and put it in their minds drawing closer to the finale, especially since one way or another that Chekhov's gun is going off.

Two, being told second-hand by Tyrion is one thing. Being forced to look Jaime in the eye and given an honest account of it by her own father's killer is another. Morally, Jaime had no choice in the matter, especially since he had also taken oaths that long predated his Kingsguard oath to protect the realm and its people. Jaime says as much to Brienne, that no matter how seriously a knight considers their oaths, and conducts themselves, the oaths they take are so complex and contradictory that sooner or later they will break one to uphold another.

Jaime chose regicide to protect the people of King's Landing, and he did so knowing full well the cost likely would have been his own life in return. The only thing that prevented his death at Ned's hands was Bobby B's pardon. And even then, he still upheld his Kingsguard oaths as best he could, because he only spoke of the matter (thereby protecting the crown's secrets) rarely and to his greatest confidants.

Three, politically, it's a win-win for all involved parties. Dany needs to prove to the Westerosi she's not her father, so releasing Jaime from his oaths and bidding him speak about the wildfire plot gives her opportunity to publicly denounce her father. Considering the Battle of the Blackwater was won with wildfire, and the Great Sept was blown up with it, the plot has already been proven, and from there it's not difficult to identify Cersei with its use, allowing her to be labeled Mad Queen rather than Dany. And, while Jaime would still be an oathbreaker, the circumstances behind it become known which at least eases Jaime's lot in life.

They were in a room full of nobles and lords. Northern nobles and lords. Northern loyalty, blah blah blah, most of the fuckers fought against the Starks at one point or another since the beginning of the War of the Five Kings, or stayed their hand from fear of what might happen should they choose the losing side. There was all of one House represented (Mormont) that actually remained true to their oaths, and that House had been deeply disgraced by its Lord at that time who was in the damn room in Dany's service. These people all chose a bastard who was a traitor, oathbreaker, and deserter to be King in da Norf for fuck's sake.

If Dany wanted to "break the wheel" or what-the-fuck-ever, that would have been a pretty damn good time to make the case for it. Instead... ?\_(ツ)_/? ?

After some thought I actually think it's more likely Jamie will survive the battle- I suspect the writers will want to have him kill Cersei at least.
Considering what Tyrion had to say on the topic, it'd be hilarious if Jaime dies and is wighted, and that's what goes on to choke out Cersei.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Yeah Gendry is a good boy but....is this the feeling fathers get when they see their daughters grow up and actually do it with their boyfriends?
Eh, a lot of people expressing that sentiment.

Personally I think Got fans were more surprised to see a sex scene without rape, incest, prostitution or dark magic being directly involved.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Didn't enjoy the second episode much. Felt like a high school reunion where you have nothing really to say and nothing in common anymore.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hades said:
Maegor never really struck me as insane and more of an iron dictator type ala Stalin.
Really? Burning the Sept of Remembrance as soon as he awoke from coma, undergoing a wedding ceremony surrounded by the remains of his victims, having all the builders he himself had hired slaughtered... this doesn't strike you as brutality crossing into insanity?

Hades said:
The other bad Targaryens seem fairly normal. Aegon II was just dimm witted and cruel and Aegon IV just very very decadent. I suppose mister brightflame wasn't normal but he was a very minor prince in the grand scheme of things and a clear exception in his lifetime.
Baelor walked barefoot to Sunspear and back (including into a snakepit), raised an 8-year-old to High Septon, and fasted himself to death. Aerion drank Wildfire because he thought he could become a dragon. Barriston notes that Jaehaerys believed madness existed in the Targaryen lineage long before Aerys II had taken the throne.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Build-up episode, through and through, the feels and what-ifs of reunions manage to run this episode to the end... It's somber, slow and character-driven. Nice prelude to the big fight in the next episode. I'll prepare myself to watch half the cast die.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Of course at this juncture, having killed off so many major characters so happily, GoT could thoroughly fuck with us and kill off none of the major characters in the big battle against the zombies deadites white walkers.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Silvanus said:
Hades said:
Maegor never really struck me as insane and more of an iron dictator type ala Stalin.
Really? Burning the Sept of Remembrance as soon as he awoke from coma, undergoing a wedding ceremony surrounded by the remains of his victims, having all the builders he himself had hired slaughtered... this doesn't strike you as brutality crossing into insanity?

Hades said:
The other bad Targaryens seem fairly normal. Aegon II was just dimm witted and cruel and Aegon IV just very very decadent. I suppose mister brightflame wasn't normal but he was a very minor prince in the grand scheme of things and a clear exception in his lifetime.
Baelor walked barefoot to Sunspear and back (including into a snakepit), raised an 8-year-old to High Septon, and fasted himself to death. Aerion drank Wildfire because he thought he could become a dragon. Barriston notes that Jaehaerys believed madness existed in the Targaryen lineage long before Aerys II had taken the throne.
Maegor wasn't a very nice man but not outright nuts. There was method to the madness. The people he burned were rebels, the wife who's heart he ripped out poisoned his other wives who got killed for ''disappointing'' him, and the workers were killed to keep the secrets of his castle safe. Maegor doesn't strike me as insane, just incredibly evil.

Aerion was definitely nuts but also a very clear exception to the rule, being surrounded by the likes of Breakspear, Egg, his father, bloodraven and the king that ultimately made peace with Dorne.

Baelor was loony but relatively benignly so.

There's about 15 Targaryen kings with only Aerys being an outright lunatic. Even if we'd kind Baelor as mad for his religious weirdness and Maegor for being evil then that's still 12 normal kings. Hardly the 50% chance of gods flipping coins.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
For all the fan theories going around about the resurrection of the Winterfell dead in the crypts, someone remind me. I recall the burial ritual of the Northerners involving burning the dead and then burying the bones, a la Greek style. Which seems like it would seriously hinder reanimation. At the very least, those skellies better be ready to put themselves back together. Did I mishear that?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
1 Hour Till Show time.

Tonight, Fire and Ice will clash. Tonight, Death will reap a bountiful harvest. Tonight decides who will claim the Iron Throne.

BEWARE FOOLISH MORTALS, FOR WINTER HAS COME AT LAST!!!!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
1 Hour Till Show time.

Tonight, Fire and Ice will clash. Tonight, Death will reap a bountiful harvest. Tonight decides who will claim the Iron Throne.

Technically winter arrived two seasons ago...

Also, I doubt tonight will decide who claims the throne, as whoever the victor is, they still need to deal with Cersei. Heck, there's even a theory that the Night King is flying to King's Landing to raze the city with Viserion, so even if his army somehow loses, he can get a another one. After all, King's Landing has a million people...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
1 Hour Till Show time.

Technically winter arrived two seasons ago...

Also, I doubt tonight will decide who claims the throne, as whoever the victor is, they still need to deal with Cersei. Heck, there's even a theory that the Night King is flying to King's Landing to raze the city with Viserion, so even if his army somehow loses, he can get a another one. After all, King's Landing has a million people...
But its suggested he's after Bran first.