Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
thomaskattus said:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.
Yeah. If anything, this just seems like a mixed message.

OT: This is probably one of the stupidest ideas for a protest since the whole "Occupy" thing became popular. Not only is it a really mixed message (seriously, if I did something bad and received 400 cupcakes, I would just assume that my bad thing was well received). But more importantly, all this hate towards the ending of ME3's ending has gotten stupid. I get people invested a lot of time into these games (not I, yet), and I get that people wanted more than one ending depending on how they played. Here's the thing, it's Bioware's game and they chose to make it this way for a reason. Why, I don't know (as I have yet to play it to weigh in more heavily on such details). What I do know is that I've had movies or games with endings I don't really care for, but I don't get to the point where I protest about it. I didn't like the third Jurassic Park film, but you don't see me sending hate mail to Speilburg & company. I don't like that Valve change the end of Portal before the release of Portal 2, but I didn't make a big deal about that either. In short, (as stated by Extra Credits, MovieBob, and many others) this is a very immature and obnoxious overreaction and the sooner it is brought to a halt, the sooner we can move on... and probably get back to bitching about how we still don't have the next Half-Life game or whatever. :D

Jul 22, 2009
Relaver said:
I like how you have no counter argument and critisize the fact that he has a life :)
It wasn't my argument and I had no desire to get involved, I don't criticize h him for having a life.

I criticize his use of stating that rather than actually replying to the other guys points.

It's a cheap cop out, saying 'I have a life' doesn't make you better than a single damn person on the planet, amazingly, all of them have lives, it just makes you sound ridiculously arrogant and condescending.

I genuinely have no idea how you can possibly try and call me out for criticizing that kind of come back.

Seriously, why are you here?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
thomaskattus said:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.
Exactly. It shows them how much the fanbase loves the amazing series they built, and how much it deserves a proper ending.
Exactly, I think Bioware need to understand that most people hold no animosity towards them or Mass Effect 3. I absolutely loved the game but I was one of the people who thought that the ending was lackluster and less than the series deserved.

I'm okay with them keeping their ending (It would be kind of weird if they completely changed it now) but it wouldn't hurt to make it less vague or open ended.

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
This is getting ridiculous. Those 1000 $ would be better spend on charity instead of entitled whining about the ending of a friggin GAME!

Get a grip, really!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Wulfclaw said:
This is getting ridiculous. Those 1000 $ would be better spend on charity instead of entitled whining about the ending of a friggin GAME!

Get a grip, really!
They aren't allowed to donate to charity remember, they might get accused of using it as a shield...

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Wulfclaw said:

Get a grip, really!
They aren't allowed to donate to charity remember, they might get accused of using it as a shield...
You are allowed to donate to whatever cause you like.

OT of the ME3 endings in general: I read a lot and I can remember many a book which had an ending that did not please me for whatever reason. Did I went to a forum to search for likeminded people to throw up a hissy fit because of it? No. Because sane people don't do such things.

And to all those people going "Räbäh! We do not whine because the ending is bad, we whine because Bioware said it would not be an "A, B, C Ending": Deal with it. Promises will be broken in Real Life on a frigging hourly rate. If you hate Bioware for it: Vote with your wallet, but please shut up...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Wulfclaw said:

Get a grip, really!
Que Dwight

FALSE!

They are not allowed to tie 2 messages together as if it was their charity, forcing the owners of said charity to answer for messages that they did not make.

They can still donate to charity. Just not say "Donate to charity to get the the ending changed"
I don't think anyone said that, it was actually:

'Show how much you didn't like it by donating to charity.'

Those evil fiends how dare they!

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
I wouldn't eat those poisoned cupcakes. They are spiked with whine.

Do you think they will send cheese, too?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Wulfclaw said:

Get a grip, really!
Que Dwight

FALSE!

They are not allowed to tie 2 messages together as if it was their charity, forcing the owners of said charity to answer for messages that they did not make.

They can still donate to charity. Just not say "Donate to charity to get the the ending changed"

Yeah I mean there was no double message....

I mean its not like Child's play was bombarded with mails from people asking questions like "will we get the ending changed if we hit our goal" or just people wanting their money back when once they learned it wouldn't get them a new ending.

Yeah that didn't happen...

It wasn't as if the vague message of "retake Mass effect" was used to its full extent by a small group of people who never actually owned it to begin with.

Yeah.... they are the victims here...
I personally haven't seen any proof that those things happened yet and frankly if you think that the Retake Mass Effect guys were doing something intentionally bad by encouraging donations to children then I don't know what to say.

The whole thing has been ridiculous. Even the first reaction of the guy I originally quoted was 'Why not give it to charity?' that's exactly the thought that the Retake Mass Effect guys had. They chose Child's Play because it's the obvious gamers choice.

I think they chose a bad name for their 'movement' but I think their intentions were good at the end of the day.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
While I find the concept quite funny, is this not a form of negative reinforcement? While they may get the reason behind the cupcakes, the fact remains that they are getting cupcakes and what is to stop them from logically thinking that if they keep making these issues in a game, that causes a lot of distress from the fans of the series, what are the odds that they will get rewarded again with something else similar to this?
I have not finished ME3 yet so I have no opinion on the controversy.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Okay, this is certainly an interesting way to go about that.
I disagree with the goal, but I respect the way they are trying to achieve it.
I wish more people would object to things in an interesting way like this.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Draech said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Wulfclaw said:

Get a grip, really!
Que Dwight

FALSE!

Yeah I mean there was no double message....

I mean its not like Child's play was bombarded with mails from people asking questions like "will we get the ending changed if we hit our goal" or just people wanting their money back when once they learned it wouldn't get them a new ending.

Yeah that didn't happen...

It wasn't as if the vague message of "retake Mass effect" was used to its full extent by a small group of people who never actually owned it to begin with.

Yeah.... they are the victims here...
I personally haven't seen any proof that those things happened yet and frankly if you think that the Retake Mass Effect guys were doing something intentionally bad by encouraging donations to children then I don't know what to say.

The whole thing has been ridiculous. Even the first reaction of the guy I originally quoted was 'Why not give it to charity?' that's exactly the thought that the Retake Mass Effect guys had. They chose Child's Play because it's the obvious gamers choice.

I think they chose a bad name for their 'movement' but I think their intentions were good at the end of the day.
Penny Arcade said people were confused and assumed that their donations were actually buying them a new ending. People even asked what goal they needed to reach. And, most disturbingly, he also says that PayPal was receiving a high number of requests from people demanding their donations back. The intentions may have been good, but attaching a charity to their cause was just too confusing for people.