"Games Cause Rape" Psychiatrist Defends Her Position

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
I said it and I will repeat it one last time: She's an attention whore begging for an audience.

Too bad for her she picked the wrong crowd to mess up with.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
So her entire defense instead of providing the studies is "I thought everyone knew about this already, and oh I have them filed away somewhere. You will just have to trust me" ?

Errrm... no. Evidence or GTFO.

Feb 9, 2011
tkioz said:
Okay I want to know how she still holds a medical licence? Doesn't America have a medical association of some sort to jump up and down on these idiots dragging down their profession?

I mean honestly from what I've seen only a handful of professionals, mainly people whose studies she's misquoted, have came out against her blatantly unscientific approach; Where is the condemnation of her peers for talking bullshit.
Seriously...it's amazing that the community as a whole doesn't jump down her throat for dragging her profession through the mud like that. I mean, even her picture in the article screams 'Douche'. I feel sorry for anyone taking her advice, since she seems to just be making up excuses and making up the rules as she goes along. -_-

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Also where was the misrepresentation by FOX NEWS, claimed by her team on Amazon?

The Team at Dr. Carole Lieberman said:
It appears that you have recently read an article on Fox News in which Dr. Carole was misrepresented on her views on video game violence. I hope you understand that it was the publication that chose to represent Dr. Carole?s views in this light, and that the statement was taken out of context. Her books also do not condemn the use of video games.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's really amazing that anyone could put out a "statement" like this one with a straight face.

It's downright depressing that someone capable of putting out a statement like this one could be put on camera and described as an expert.

Her "expertise", in her own words, comes entirely from the mind-boggling fact that people keep coming to her for an opinion on this subject. That's all. I mean, presumably she went through some kind of schooling in as much as no one has contested her calling herself a psychiatrist, but there's no suggestion she has any kind of professional vantage to put forward the ludicrous and sensationalistic bullshit she's spewed into the airwaves. No studies of her own she's conducted, no research she's been a part of, not so much as a patient she can point to in her own questionable practice.

"Everybody knew about these studies"? I mean, never mind that half of what she sites isn't "studies" by the most lenient definition of the term and half of the remainder openly contradicts what she's saying- is there anything lazier and more unprofessional than sticking your nose into the air and saying, in effect, "Well, everyone knows I'm right, so I didn't feel it necessary to prove it"?

Oh, and prior to the "Amazon bombing" her book's link was mysteriously granted only the most gushing five-star ratings, full blurbs that sound like they came directly from the publisher. While normally I hesitate to suggest I approve of techniques that border on harassment, in this case I honestly wonder if the Amazon bombing isn't the least of what she deserves. The "doctor" has sold out her profession and arguably violated her Hippocratic oath. To be absolutely clear, I in no way endorse any illegal behavior towards her person, but her status as a media professional thoroughly deserves to be destroyed.

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
Pretty sure alcohol has led to more rape than video games. Can we start a witch hunt on that next? Besides, if you believe the rumors, most gamers would never leave their parent's basement long enough to commit a rape. And, even if they did, they probably wouldn't be physically fit enough to have sex in the first place.

escapeme

Feb 15, 2011
This retard is one dick hair away from the other feminist idiot who said "All men are rapists". Think she's been laid in awhile?

TheTemby

May 29, 2008
It's quite humorous how she has set herself up to fail.
Either she admits that she made a mistake, loses her credibility and loses some of her clientele. Denies her failure to look into the matter further and builds a reputation to the online community as a liar and attention seeker, loses her credibility and clientele or she just keeps throwing bullshit at the online community as if we're a bunch of children, she loses her credibility and clientele.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
if she really wanted to prove her point she would play some gta then rape someone, now that would be cause and effect

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
I have super-glued my hand to my face for the ultimate facepalm because this woman and her infantile views deserve nothing less. It's funny, as soon as I saw her last name was "Lieberman" I instantly knew this was going to end with me facepalming myself for hours on end.

EDIT:

Scratch what I said before, this display of complete and utter lack of intelligence requires something more powerful than a facepalm... the facedesk.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
"When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill."

That's what gets me. Her proof that games cause rape isn't actual statistics, but a simple opinionated poll that was posted on a web site forum somewhere for the random masses to click on. This woman needs to learn to find real sources.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Well she is the actual reason there is so much rape in the world. She also caused the Holocaust and every week she goes around to an Orphanage to laugh at them, while telling them about how their parents deserved whatever happened to them. Then she finishes off the day with a nice dinner of babies.

What? It's true. If she wants some proof it'll take me about a month, I've filed it somewhere with some other stuff, I think... I'm busy okay, stop bothering me with your made up garbage, I'm a professional.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
You know, for a psychologist, you'd think she'd be aware of and at least TRY to avoid confirmation bias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Great... Why is a woman like this allowed to be part of the same gene pool as us? Is there some sort of scientific way we can make her NOT part of our gene pool? Like, gene pool disowning or something along those lines.

Maybe if we inject her with mutagens that make her bright purple with green hair. That'll work. I mean she'll have to deal with being chased around the galaxy by Captain Kirk as a result, but eh.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Why do they always take up Rapelay? Yeah it's about rape and yadi yadi ya...

But if it weren't for the media people would hardly know what it is.

And I call bullshit yet again against this so called "doctor".

Lord Le Camembert

Dec 20, 2010
And suddenly, seeing all this I feel that being french is good news altogether...
No offense to anyone here but America really messed up the day it let Fox news exist.

OT: "Polls" as a reliable source of information was the most beautiful part of this
whole farce to me.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:
When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list
Huh... Apparently to her a "national poll" counts as a "study."
ROIGHT! Well then I'm going to have a "national poll" over the cuteness of bunnies and then call it a study!

I R DOKTOR NAO.
DOKTHOR!! I NEED UR HAELP! MY BUNNEEZ AREN'T CUTE ENUFF!

Let it also be mentioned that there are literally dozens of studies conducted by many of the leading psychological institutions from around the world contradicting the two, count 'em, TWO studies that she mentioned.
Also, ignoring the fact that a poll isn't a study, it should be mentioned that "Media Violence" does not explicitly single out games as the cause. There are many forms of media, many of which can be grotesquely violent at times and that have been around for much longer than video games (i.e TV, movies, music, literature, etc.), so is it not a more logical step to assume the term "Media Violence" could much more likely refer to these forms of media?

I think I've made my point.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
This is really just another example that the 'Experts' don't know anything. If you can't find conclusive evidence that Video Games support the behaviour of rape, than you cannot by any means say anything regarding it. For this I think she should have her reputation sripped down, she obviously has shown that she doesn't know what shes talking about. There are more successful reports out there that support the opposite of what she sais than for it by a scale of 1/100. All she shows is pride and that is dangerous for anyone in psychology, you want evidence and studies, not hairbrained theories and what people say. But thats what i think. :p