Games that defeated you.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Well! Now I can add to my list.

X3 beat me, as I said in my earlier post.

But, now Magicka has beat me as well. Its combat system is AGGRIVATING TO NO END.

Postal 3 also beat me recently, not out of difficulty, but because it was just so terrible. So terrible.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
auron200004 said:
JasonKaotic said:
Final Fantasy XIII. In short, in order to finish the last part of the game, you have to spend days, maybe weeks grinding XP, otherwise you get utterly destroyed by everything there.
Yeah. Not gonna happen.
Man, I'm glad I gave up on that game early on, then. Can you pace out extra leveling before you get there if you know beforehand? Or are you pretty much required to get brickwalled and forced to grind no matter what?

Captcha: honey mustard. It's weird because I literally just had honey mustard chicken wings from Cecil Whittaker's like 2 nights ago.
Nah. I pretty much never ran away from any encounters in the game, except for when I was backtracking to places. And even then, I still had to spend a day or so grinding XP after running into certain bosses. I've gotten to a point where it takes me near an hour to get enough CP to level up a crystal, and I'm still nowhere near prepared enough to get through the last area.
It's annoying 'cause I want to play XIII-2, but I don't want to play that until I've finished XIII. ._.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
http://www.lgdb.org/game/little_big_adventure

Little Big Adventure I bought it when I was 12 and could not get my head around it at all. I'm determined to get it one day and whoop it's ass.

Only game that I have given up on.....

Oct 10, 2011
Fallout New Vegas.I was playing very hard difficulty on hardcore mode. Made it to Vegas, and my save just dissapears. So I start over , go inside the BoS bunker, and it crashes. Every time I reload the save it crashes when I leave. I start over. I keep a minimum of 10 backup saves, thinking it will help me accually finish the game now. All of my saves get corrupted. At the same time. For absolutely no reason.

I gave up.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Nerexor said:
00slash00 said:
psychonauts. that fucking meat circus level at the very end made me rage quit and never come back
This. I found it to be an exercise in anger management. While I'm usually pretty good at those, after the fiftieth time of Little Ollie wandering to his death while I had to navigate the most annoying bit of platforming I've ever attempted, I just gave up and sat back and watched the little bastard die a few times while I did nothing to save him. Then turned off the game. I have replayed it since, but only up until the meat circus. I just stop there because the game ceases to be anything resembling fun at that point.
yeah, i do the boss fight against the brain sucking machine (or whatever the last fight is before meat circus, i havent played the game in a while) and i just say to myself "okay, that was the final boss, games over. good job, self."

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
I'll add another one. I've been playing Devil May Cry 3 lately and tried to do the 4th secret mission with no glitches. The gimmick of the 4th secret mission is that the enemies are on the highest difficulty no matter what you normally play and they need to be killed or knocked off a small platform in a very small amount of time. If you get knocked off this platform you fail. If more than 6 enemies (they spawn in groups of 4) are on the platform at once you fail. At the time this secret mission appears you have no Devil Trigger and a choice of three weapons, not one of them being the one that would make this mission hard but not impossible. Devil May Cry 3's highest difficulty is also despised because it gives enemies far more defence than any other DMC game.

That's a game telling you outright to fuck off, it goes beyond hard. Fortunately the glitch is both easy to do and easy to find.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Hopefully this isn't considered too far offtopic, as I already answered the question earlier, but:

Beautiful End said:
I'm playing as a Warrior because, honestly, I hate Mages. Except for Morrigan. She's just awesome.
There's actually an OP character sub-class that basically turns mages into warriors. Its called Arcane Warrior and you can get it from the ruins in the woods where the elves are. It lets you use your magic for armor equipping requirements, so you can wear warrior armor and swing swords. Then you just cast a bunch of buff spells on yourself and end up being invincible.

Beautiful End said:
I wish there was a way to kind of grind in this game...other than going back and forth all over the map.
If you donate certain equipment in your camp, you get EXP for it. The elven ambassador or whatever his name is, will accept elfroot which you can buy really cheap in bulk at the elf camp(so long as you didn't kill them all.) Which if you make one of your mages create lyrium potions(http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Money_Making_Guide#Making_Potent_Lyrium_Potions) for profit, you can donate and get high level really quickly. Though it's not always the best idea, because monsters scale to your level.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Dullahan (Golden Sun: The Lost Age) especially when he used the Djnn Storm spell. Nothing I did can make fully withstand against his attacks.
Gotta summon rush him if you want to win. Put all your Djinn on standby, then just summon everything you can with your first four, let them die, and do the same with the next four. Took me two tries to beat him with that strategy.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Luis Alamo said:
In GoW 2 fucking Thesseus (I only stopped because my controller broke under mysterious circumstances...)
I had forgotten about that until now. Thanks very much. I did beat him in the end, but it took weeks. He was ridiculously hard.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
More snipeth
I do have that ability right now; Arcane Warrior. But only Morri could use it at this point. I'll keep it in mind, though. (I'm mostly a brawler/tank in all my games)

And I didn't know you got experience from helping them. I figured that would change the outcome of the final battle or something (I haven't finished the game) and I was just doing it just for being nice. Although at the moment, I'm using all my elfroot to create healing potions so...I'll have to think about this.

Thanks for the tips! This is probably one of my favorite games out there and I still don't know much about it. If I had played this game a couple of years back, it would be a completely different story. Guess it's time to do some research! :D

OT to avoid report: Uhh...I forgot about Dead Space 2. I played the game for like 5 minutes and then I returned it. See, I hate scary games. I'm a wuss, what can I say? But I heard this game was cool so I gave it a shot. First minute of playing it and I was confused with the story. But okay, it was a sequel so I had that coming. Then as soon as I can control my character, something jumps out and kills me. My SDTV tried to tell me how to play...but it was a SDTV so I couldn't figure it out and I died.
This happened about 3 times until I gave up completely.

Uikri

Jul 28, 2012
Luis Alamo said:
I consider myself a completionist and like to squeeze every drop of value out of my games, so i tend to play on the hardest difficulty after a normal or hard (if I'm feeling masochistic) play through of any given game to enjoy a challenge and say ii finished it. There are however some exceptions... Some soul crushing control breaking exceptions...

For me its always been the God of War series on the highest difficulty. I always think its a good idea, but then i hit a wall that i keep bashing my head against until i relent and admit defeat.

In GoW 1 it was the Ares fight (so...close...)
In GoW 2 fucking Thesseus (I only stopped because my controller broke under mysterious circumstances...)
In GoW 3 the Cereberus Breeder and those Satyrs near the end (seriously just NO)

So have any of you ever come across a game that just utterly defeated you?
Megaman Zero Collection. They made a Hard Mode, for a series that DIDN'T NEED A FRACKING HARD MODE! That, and I never finished the second game onward. I just got completely and totally burned out on it.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
00slash00 said:
psychonauts. that fucking meat circus level at the very end made me rage quit and never come back
Thank you! I beat the level, but with a blood pressure to rival the compression of a black hole! And the difficulty of the rest of the game was so low, that spike in challenge was way too much.

OT:

Borderlands, for being WAY too boring. 5 hours. Five hours of gameplay before I uninstalled it.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. ALMOST defeated me. But damn if I hadn't spammed sonic blade the last 6 hours of that game I would have given up. Not to mention, it was SO boring... coming from somebody who loves Kingdom Hearts. At least recently.

Donkey Kong 64. Couldn't beat it when I was like 8 and then I lost my copy. Too hard for back then.

Any Pokemon game. Never beaten any of them. The difficulty doesn't lie so much in beating the bosses at the end, as in does in the patience to actually play a pokemon game all the way through and level up six pokemon. Such torture.

And, more specifically, the Elite Four in Pokemon Black. Nope.

The Pit of 100 Trials in Paper Mario 2 (yes I'm shortening the title) out of sheer boredom. Got to level 70-something and realized "this isnt fun."

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. I gave up out of sheer boredom, but apparently there was a boss not two steps from where I quit. And that boss caused my girlfriend to be defeated by the game out of difficulty. Go figure.

Actually... if I'm going to keep going with games I gave up on because they were boring, well... we'd be here for days.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I Max95 said:
Dark Souls...Undead Burg

need i say more?
That's the really easy part of the game. If you should ever venture down to the inky blackness that is the Tomb of Giants will you truly know defeat.

When you get there you can't see more than three feet in front. There's not much room to dodge things lest you plummet to your death. Even if you block, you could still take a free skydiving lesson care of the giants.

Oh, and that's before the area boss. (Gravelord Nito)

Uikri

Jul 28, 2012
Gunner 51 said:
I Max95 said:
Dark Souls...Undead Burg

need i say more?
That's the really easy part of the game. If you should ever venture down to the inky blackness that is the Tomb of Giants will you truly know defeat.

When you get there you can't see more than three feet in front. There's not much room to dodge things lest you plummet to your death. Even if you block, you could still take a free skydiving lesson care of the giants.

Oh, and that's before the area boss. (Gravelord Nito)
You forgot to mention Blighttown. Arguably harder than Tomb of the Giants.