Games that really let you down

Paul

Aug 21, 2009
I'll agree with everyone who said Brutal Legend. That game was disappointing. When I started into it, I loved it. It had a great soundtrack and I enjoyed it as a hack-and-slash game. When they pushed the RTS aspect the whole experience fell apart for me. I was playing on Hard until I got the RTS part and I just pushed it to Easy instead. I'm sure it would have been passable on Medium difficulty but I knew it would mean struggling with some of the battles. If it had been kept purely as a hack-and-slash game with a great soundtrack, I would have been ecstatic. The demo even made it look incredible, because it didn't hint at any RTS gameplay.

I think I should mention Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. I loved the first Mercenaries game on the PlayStation 2. While I never bought a copy because it was hard to find, I rented it pretty much once a month if not more regularly. I hoped the sequel would have been more of the same fun, except in South America instead of North Korea. Instead it felt like it was trying to differentiate itself, and was a bit of a letdown. The whole appeal of the first game was the ability to play around in a country reduced to war. The sequel felt like it was merely split into different sectors with no real ongoing conflicts. Granted, there were skirmishes here and there but it never felt like an actual country turned into a warzone. The nuclear bunker buster was cool though, and at least it had pretty explosion effects.

Svane

Aug 20, 2011
Wardi Boi said:
Falliut New Vegas

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant game but it just didn't compare to Fallout 3. I don't know, maybe I was too hyped up for it or something...

Yeah I feel you. Fallout 3 had a story to play through. New Vegas is just a very large sandbox with a lot of quests and in the end a summary of what you've done... No real story just endless quests and a wasteland to wander, hardly any Vegas in it too...

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
austincharlesbond said:
kickyourass said:
austincharlesbond said:
kickyourass said:
This is probably more me then the game but Resident Evil 4, I'm sure it is a wonderful game, but the aiming, good lord in heaven, the aiming. I'm sure it's fine once you get used to it, when one has chainsaw wielding zombies blocking their path in a very confined space, they do not have time to get used to a control scheme that is almost completely different to everything they've ever played.

But a game where the game actually had the problem, Dead Rising. Between the unreadable small text, insane difficulty, save points that flat out refused to work and weapons degradation (Which I think should be a floggable offence) it was barely playable.
Yeah, I was lucky enough to get the Wii version, which completely fixes all those problems
Which Wii version? Both games have one.
Resident Evil 4. Dead Rising is on Wii?
Yes, I think it's called the "Chop till you Drop edition."
My problem with Redident Evil 4's aiming was that you couldn't move while doing it, and that gets very frustrating after the third or forth time you get blind sided by someone hiding behind a door or something, because you couldn't approach them with your weapon ready.

T7nowhere

Jun 15, 2011
Dragon Age 2 was a let down, I expected more from Bioware. However I think it was an okay game but unlike every other Bioware game I've played I haven't wanted to replay DA2 since I finished it and I somehow missed picking up two of the game characters(Isabel and Feneris I think that's what his name was. I would give it a 6.5/10.

C&C4 I've had the game for a year and played it at least 4 times and I still haven't gotten past the first level. It seems like the devs didn't want to make a C&C game so they made this instead. The always online and in a lobby thing irritates me also I really didn't like single and multi-player merged like that when I only wanted to play single-player campaign.

Dec 9, 2009
I don't think that I've ever been genuinely disappointed in a game. The closest I've gotten is a game that I just didn't very much like. That game would be The Last Remnant. It looked so very epic and interesting with the squad combat and whathaveyou. Nope.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Fallout New Vegas.

I loved Fallout 3, yeah, it wasn't like FO1 or 2 but it wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to never be made, but some fans who just so happen to have their own game company decided to buy the license, and bam a new Fallout game, something many of us thought would never happen.

I got to play Fallout 3 in a very grim time in my life, when I was jobless and homeless, living in my older brothers efficiency, sleeping on the floor and living off cheap food like bread, 79c hot dogs, macaroni, crackers etc.

He let me use his Xbox while I waited for job calls. I got Fallout 3 with an e-rewards gift card that took like 6 months of boring online surveys to earn and I played the hell out of it, because I had time to kill.

It took me from the wasteland of my real life to one I could actually enjoy.

The game didn't punish me, expect me to know it before I knew it, barr my way with end-game creatures outside the starting town, or glitch up all over the place.

New Vegas did. All of the above except the me enjoying it part.

Okay so back-story over with, let's get on with the complaints. I pop that New Vegas disc in and I'm ready for fun. Well, the old guys head starts spinning in circles, creeped out a little I laugh, shrugging it off. Half an hour later of sitting naked on an old mans couch (could they have made the opening of a game any slower and less interesting? Fallout 3 had lots of interesting characters and events going on in the beginning to keep you from getting bored while it integrated you into the game..) so yeah, half an hour later I get out of the old guys home and I see the Obsidian boys tried to copy the "ooh, aah" effect that Fallout 3 did when you left the vault, only.. you don't really go half blind when you merely step outside of a cottage... so it was stupid. Oh, and the screen froze at that point, so I had to start it all over again as it DIDN'T AUTOSAVE YET.

AN HOUR LATER since starting, I'm finally playing the game, I explore some of the buildings in town and I enter a large one to the right of the old doctors cottage. I kill all of the preying mantis' and loot everything of value, and then I do one of those science mini-games several times, noticing how they made it so you can't exit out and start over quickly anymore, it actually forces you to sit there and watch the guy type an entire screen full of non-sense. I finish the puzzle after about 15 minutes of re-tries (common with low science skill, but made far worse than it had to be by the tinkering with the skill in NV) and when I walk outside the door the game freezes.

I did have an autosave to load, but it was before I looted that building.... so there I was 2 hours into the game with NOTHING accomplished at all, nothing. Absolutely nothing, I didn't see any storyline, I didn't have fun and I didn't even get to keep my looted items. I decided to SKIP the evil building up and just proceeded into the wasteland.

I killed some geckos easily enough and finally had some fun. I kept walking north I believe it was, and was promptly slaughtered by giant radscorpions. I wasn't even level 3 yet and the game was throwing monsters at me that I had no chance in hell of beating OR running away from. (they run faster than you can). The entire New Vegas experience is just like this. It's grueling and punishing. At times your arms glitch up and flails all over the place, as if to mock you and laugh saying "nyah nyah, try aiming at that enemy now, looky I can make your gun do tricks!". Sometimes you walk into a cave and you get swarmed by 505050150175916156y148y1 flying freaking bugs with a paralyzing poison. YEAH THEY PARALYZE you, that was a smart design move, players love nothing else but to sit and watch as they're murdered and can't do anything about it, MADE worse by a glitch which actually makes stimpaks kill you when you're under the affect of paralyze (a confirmed bug, look it up!).

I don't even want to get into the other skills, but I will later on, let me just say that small guns were pretty much the only one they tested for bugs... (and it had plenty of its own).

New Vegas has some interesting dialogue but I don't feel that it justifies all the glitchy frustrating the game throws at you or the overall horribly unpleasant feel the game presents itself with. For one thing it doesn't even feel like a Fallout game. You could throw a name like "Cowboy Blues" on the cover and it would fit, because 1) the radio plays nothing but country music, 2) everyone had a cowboy western accent and wears a cowboy hat/leather clothing 3) theres nothing but red sand and cacti EVERYWHERE, no post-apocalyptic damage except for some of the creatures like super mutants and giant scorpions, which feel out of place in an entirely healed desert world.

It just doesn't feel post-apocalyptic, a lot of the memorable icons of the past games are easily missed as they're treated as side-quests and you're only introduced to them by exploring, something you're encouraged NOT to do until you've finished leveling, by which time there's hardly any point. Fallout 3 let you have fun and explore right at level 1, and it was expertly crafted to tailor to any players eventualities. NV just sucks ass. I don't care who made it, they should have done a much better job.

Forgot to mention, the unarmed and melee skills are unusable, (have a repeating fatal screen lockup with some of their special moves, or it did when I played). So if you plan on playing an unarmed only or melee only character, guess what? The only viable option is small guns! Unless you like glitching all over the place and killing your system with constant restarts.

The game was just an untested, unpolished mess trying to rake in some dough in Fallout 3's wake.

Basically... I was really disappointed in New Vegas. REALLY. It had so much hype and I was as excited for it as I am for Skyrim, luckily I know Bethesda doesn't fail like Obsidian at making games... so I know I'll be enjoying myself come 11/11/11.

Why did I type so much more than anyone else you ask? Details are important my friend... and I couldn't sleep. And I want to save someone from wasting their money. :)

L3W15 M

Jul 28, 2011
Red faction Armageddon. Loved every red faction up to this point. Then they fire out a 3 hour long campaign with no depth a thousand plot holes and an unlikeable character. No multiplayer and the destruction physics takes a BACKSEAT. In a franchise that was built upon its destruction! and as a reward for actually buying it we are told no more red factions ever. Well there goes that.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Timeshift really irked me with it's terrible ending.
Also Halo Reach. I was really disappointed with it. I still play it but it continually dissapoints me in multiplayer, and I found the campaign to be a tran wreck.

Also Half life episode 3. Because it isn't out yet =(

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Crackdown 2.
I loved the first one. It exemplified all the things that a free-roaming sandbox should be. It was flexible, it was fun, it made exploration interesting. It's only real flaw was that the missions were all the same.
The second one didn't break anything exactly, but didn't fix anything either, and while it did pack a few fun extras, it didn't measure up to the sequel I was hoping for.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
random_bars said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Brutal Legend, Yeah it was kinda funny and the soundtrack is amazing, other than that?

Stupid condensed RTS structure, lame stage battles, and an ending that was retarded.
AwkwardTurtle said:
Brutal Legends. Pretty much for the reasons that Yahtzee covered pretty well in the reviews.

It was literally a ninja RTS posing as a quirky semi funny rock themed action game starring Jack Black. I was also ridiculously confused as to how little instruction they gave me.

*me* Oh...I see these red dragon things everywhere. What the hell am I supposed to do with them?
*swings axe around* *tries to it it with lightning* *rams a car into it* *tries playing guitar*
Well...I guess it's just there for decorative purposes. :3

*Days later I got stuck at one part and looked up a guide for it.*
*Sees a description of Dragon Statues (or something like that)*
Oh, I wonder what that is. They're just decorative right?
Explanation: Whenever you see one of these Dragons you must free its spirit by using the flame attack with the guitar by holding the X button.

*facepalm* How the hell was I supposed to figure that shit out... >.>
Wait.....that's how you free them???

......goddammit. Seriously, could they have explained that any less in the game?
As I've said a million times... No. Brutal Legend was not, and never will be, an 'RTS in disguise' - unless you specifically play it like one. Is Halo a Beat-Em-Up disguised as a FPS, simply because you can both punch and shoot in it? No, it isn't. Is Brutal Legend a Hack-And-Slash disguised as an RTS, simply because you can both attack stuff on your own and tell troops to attack stuff? Again, no it isn't.

No, what it is is an action game in the framework of an RTS, in which you can direct troops but also attack stuff yourself, and not only that but take direct control of any one of the troops you build - drive any car you make, or ride any beast - and personally use a more powerful form of its attack that's better than anything either of you could do alone. What the game tries to do is teach these elements one by one - a pure combat mission, then a troop directing mission, then a driving mission, then a Double Team mission. Then a stage battle that puts it all together.

However, if you instead didn't put it all together, and rather treated the stage battles like some sort of separate 'RTS sections' where you're supposed to ignore everything you've learned and try to win purely by directing troops and micromanaging and a load of other stuff you do in Starcraft that you're never told to do ever in Brutal Legend, then yeah, it becomes pretty shitty. Just like any game does when you ignore all of its mechanics except one and try to support it on that alone.

But you're right, the game is really, really bad at explaining stuff, so it's kind of its own fault that so many people did this.
I've played Brutal Legend the way it was telling me how to play and I didn't like it after awhile. I've never liked RTS games and I was hoping that this game would be different but it hasn't changed my mind about it. Stage battles I thought were interesting at first but towards the end of the game they were annoying, the last stage battle in particular was a pain in the ass.

The game explained well enough what you had to do and it was up to the player if they wanted to do that. Towards the end I felt like I had to create a big enough army before I could do anything that I wanted to do which was to go after the other stage. I can appreciate what was going on in the game and what it was trying to do, but it wasn't enough for me to really really like it. It was ok, but not enough for me to play it again.
Oh yeah, you're right that the single player was kind of sucky in that they put in an unnecessary gimmick into pretty much every battle that just distracted from the actual gameplay, as well as messing around with some other stuff that they probably thought would make it simpler but in reality just confused people - making the enemy avatar invincible, for one, and making all the solos available from the start of a battle rather than having specific ones unlock at each stage upgrade level, for two.

The multiplayer fixes these issues and the gameplay makes a hell of a lot more sense for it, not to mention it generally benefitting from not being dragged down by obscuring gimmickry. And the game is a lot more polished and better as a multiplayer, mechanics-focused game rather than a linear single player adventure, anyway, which makes sense because the multiplayer was apparently the part that was developed first with the single player added later and expanded beyond their initial designs on the publisher's request.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
Said it before and will say it again (adding to the chorus) Brutal Legend.

Everybody said so and I still went NO WAY, ITS TIM FREAKIN SHAFFER, I HAVE TO PLAY THIS.

Should have listened...

To add insult to the injury I was hit by the bad save bug (on PS3) which makes the game imposible to continue (it just hangs at the loading screen). Fortunately I had already seen the ending and was just fooling around

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
imagremlin said:
Said it before and will say it again (adding to the chorus) Brutal Legend.

Everybody said so and I still went NO WAY, ITS TIM FREAKIN SHAFFER, I HAVE TO PLAY THIS.

Should have listened...

To add insult to the injury I was hit by the bad save bug (on PS3) which makes the game imposible to continue (it just hangs at the loading screen). Fortunately I had already seen the ending and was just fooling around
What exactly was disappointing about it? Did you by any chance try to RTS your way to victory in the stage battles, completely ignoring the axe and guitar combat and the solos and the double team attacks and the car that you still had available and never went away just because you could now choose what troops to make instead of being given a set number at the start of the mission?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
It's hard to remember any times I was "really" let down offhand.

I would say I was a little let down by Super Paper Mario, though. Not having any real companions was a bit boring. Paper Mario games had had a cool female sidekick before then, like Goombella or Lady Bow. Super Paper Mario lacking it felt boring. And lonely.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
crysis 2...i'd only fought like 10 battles in the entire game and then 4 stealth kills and a quicktime event and the pathetic storyline ended. Kinda expected it though with the eye candy graphics

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Hyperactiveman said:
No game ending is as worse as Kane & Lynch: Dead Men.
Really? Sure neither ending was a "good" ending, but they were realistic. As the achievement/trophy titles suggest, it really is a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. And for that, I really liked it.

Anyways, gameplay wise, Borderlands takes the cake. It felt repetitive, even when I played with my buddies. And the graphics just gave me a damn headache.

EDIT: Actually, I'm changing story aspect from MK to Space Marine.
A fucking QTE with a Daemon Prince of the Chaos Undivided is the final "fight", seriously.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
Off the top of my head: Fable, Dragon Age II and The Witcher.

The first is pretty obvious: I was promised basically the perfect RPG. What I got instead was a short, linear and shallow RPG/Action-Adventure.

Dragon Age II went too far away from the formula of the first one, tried to be even darker (seriously what's with RPGs these days, do they all have to be set in dark, crapsack worlds?) and, worst of all, my actions in the first game accounted for almost nothing at all.

And, finally, The Witcher was... a good game, but not what I was promised nor anything special. The misogynistic card collecting game made me sick, pretty much every character was an asshole, and the interface was as intuitive as trying to juggle chainsaws while blindfolded (and they're on fire). The story was alright; while not the best it was certainly good if a bit hard to follow at times, but my gripe with it is it's "darker and edgier" attitude (IE: most characters cussing like freaking' sailors every other line) that ultimately did not appeal to me. I reckon it's a good game if you're into that sort of thing, in fact I consider it to be the best game I don't like.