Games that you hate but everyone else seems to ape-shit about it?

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64.

It looked awful for the time, the controls were horrid, and somehow managed to make an exciting film very tedious.

The only redeeming feature was the multiplayer and then only because you had people to share the misery of playing it with.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
MINECRAFT. That game is pointless. Its like 'Hey look at this awesome world I build that looks like a shitty 8bit game. No thinks. I grew up playing games that looked like that and I do not want to play anything that looks as crappy and has no point as Minecraft.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Two shouts which I second are Bioshock Infinity & GTA V. Both were just dull. Dull, dull, dull. Take away the story and the gameplay aspects of both were yawnsome.

MGS3, ME 2 & 3, LA Noire, Halo - there's plenty I can think of but my own shout will go to Half Life 2. It just wasn't any fun at all. You were weighed down with these bizare physics puzzles & boring driving sections, and this epic story was just horrible to play through.

And I easily finished the original Half Life loving it for the most part.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons

TotalBiscuit called it "The best game of all time". He ranked it even higher than the original Deux Ex. And I have very similar tastes in videogames to those of TB, so I thought it was going to be awesome. I even bought an Xbox 360 controller just to play that game (though that turned out to be a good investment for playing Dark Souls and Mortal Kombat later).

The game was BORING for me. The "super creative" mechanics for controlling the two brothers were nothing out of this world. I get that they are supposed to represent the teamwork between the two brothers, so they are an appropiate methaphor. But the game didn't connect with me emotionally (as indie artsy games supposedly do). It wasn't "emotional" nor fun. A borefest.

I'm not saying the game is bad (it's a pretty good game for what it is), just that it doesn't deserve the hype, and it didn't interest me at all.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
cdemares said:
It's funny, people say Bioshock Infinite was overrated, but everybody on the internet seems to hate that game. I loved it. I feel like the only one who did. I also liked Bioshock 2.
In my own browsing experience, Infinite (like The Last of Us later on) was highly praised at launch with love from critics and players alike and there were many cheers to be had at it.

After a few months, the people who heard that it was the greatest thing in the universe played it, and it didn't live up to it. Personally, I didn't like it at first which was a few months post launch, but I actually loathed it on a recent attempt at replaying it.

OT: Apparently Dead Space was well praised when it came out, as one of the few good survival horror games of the Seventh Gen at the time[footnote]In all fairness, Silent Hill Homecoming and Alone in the Dark (2008) did come out the same year, the competition wasn't exactly stellar.[/footnote]. I played it and found its irritating gameplay a detriment to the spooky atmosphere it's trying to create. There's not much else to say here, given that the story seemed deliberately simplistic and standard.

The monsters are the biggest detriment to the game, given how all they do is scream and clumsily strike at me in huge clusters just to truly aggravate me when I'm stuck in dark rooms. Those dark rooms did well to build the atmosphere when I first showed up, but are now claustrophobic and highly annoying when I am forced to backtrack through them.

On the bright side, I have since watched the Alien films and Event Horizon since I played Dead Space. All vastly superior experiences, and ones which might make a revisit to Dead Space a more fanservicey and enjoyable one.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
*cracks knuckles*

MOBA's
Rocket league
MINECRAFT!
Journey
Flower
CS:GO
TF2
Persona
FF7
Any fallout
HALF LIFE!
Mario
Zelda
Pokémon
Batman arkam whatever
Valiant hearts
CCG's
and just about any indie 2D side scroller, prime example being shovel knight

In a lot of cases, it's just about I'm not into the genre or game but I can't go 5 seconds on the internet without hearing or seeing about it ... recently rocket league, it's almost bigger than actual football.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
visiblenoise said:
It's this game, where I pretend that my opinions are at all unique or more insightful than others.
Ugh. That one is just the worst.

Can't believe I pre-ordered that mess. I want my money back.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
babinro said:
GTA 4 - At it's release was not a good game IMO. Over the years people have started to view it as a slightly weaker entry but at the time it was given Game of the Year title with so many 10/10's.

World of Warcraft - I don't know if I could truly say I hate the game but I found the trial version of it tedious and absolutely nothing hooked me. Never opted to get a subscription or buy the game. I've enjoyed other MMO's but not many...the two standouts being Guild Wars 1 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Skyrim - Another game that I don't truly HATE but I really didn't care for. As a HUGE fan of Oblivion I was ready for something that pushed the forumala. What we got was the same game with a better coat of paint with many elements that felt truly dated to me (combat, having little to no lasting impact by your actions). I put way more time into Skyrim than it deserved from me (60 hours) in hopes that there was lasting fun to be had but it never came. The game is objectively speaking quite good but I never got hooked.
Actually between Oblivion and Skyrim several features were cut, especially if you include The Shivering Isles.

Skyrim felt.... Shallow, hollow, grayed... whereas Oblivion felt colourful, deep, exciting.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
Ryallen said:
I've said it a million times and I've actually grown tired of saying it, but fine. I didn't find The Last of Us to be engaging in the slightest.
I agree completely
The Last of Us was a good looking game, with a truly fantastic first mission, that fell apart so quickly. The gameplay was tedious, the story dull and uninspired, and I genuinely couldn't get out of the city. I got so bored before then, I turned it off. I will admit, that probably coloured my thoughts on the story, but, whatever!

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Skyrim

I put 15 hours into it before I felt I saw everything I needed to. The combat was just dry and boring, and considering this was a first-person RPG, I'd say combat is a pretty critical part of the game. Stealth was even more boring and less of a challenge. Sure i could mod the crap out of the game, but I shouldn't need to fill my game up with mods to make the core game interesting. Honestly the first game on steam I regretted buying.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Johnisback said:
OT:
The Assasins Creed series. A stupid time travel/virtual reality plot, gameplay that gets old after a few hours, stupid mission objectives that require luck instead of skill and minigames that don't look or play very well.
I'll never get how that series caught on.
Simple, Historical Tourism(I enjoyed running around Italy and exploring historical landmarks) plus ninja stabbing and Parkour. The Conspiracy angle of 2 was also pretty fun for what it was. It's one thing if it didn't do anything for you, but saying you don't understand how anyone likes it seems disingenuous.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I strongly dislike Bioshock Infinite as a game. The original didn't limit my weapons and let me use the environment to take on threats as strategically as I want (or not). Bioshock Infinite limits me to two guns at a time and a handful of plasmids that aren't as good as what we had in the older games...Didn't care for reality warping either.

I get why people like to play GTA but I don't get how people can get involved with the plots or characters. I understand the fun of walking around LA and gunning people down but none of the characters in GTAV were likable...to me anyway, especially after someone like Tommy Vercetti who was my favorite character or Niko Bellic who I also really liked (even though he should have had his own non-GTA game given his tone).

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:
I get why people like to play GTA but I don't get how people can get involved with the plots or characters. I understand the fun of walking around LA and gunning people down but none of the characters in GTAV were likable...to me anyway, especially after someone like Tommy Vercetti who was my favorite character or Niko Bellic who I also really liked (even though he should have had his own non-GTA game given his tone).
Yeah, I think with GTA4 there was some major dissonance with the plot and Bellic's contemplative character and the actual gameplay. In GTA5 this made a lot more sense as these were some genuinely ugly characters. :p To have some 'likable' protagonist in a GTA game makes no sense considering what this game requires you to do.

Having said that though the 3 protagonists in GTA5 were definitely well-written and opened up new story possibilities you wouldn't otherwise have. I really enjoyed it eventhough I couldn't necessarily relate with any 1 of them. The game itself ofcourse..is freaking amazing.

Anyways, other than Mass Effect 2 none of the Bioware games ever appealed to me. They are just so boring and tedious. I also don't get the outcry over ME3's ending as the plot of the game seemed pretty throwback '80s sci-fi fare to me(including the general aesthetic of the games). I also didn't give 2 shits about any of the characters so maybe that also explains my lack of investment in the game. :p

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Just Cause 2

God awful controls, boring and needlessly huge worldmap with zero atmosphere, annoying quicktime riddled mission, all the characters are a waste of oxygen and seriously the fucking controls what the hell

Come at me bro

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think I have ever really hated a game. What I do is I don't finish them. I do feel very meh about pretty much every AAA title coming out. Uncharted, Assassins Creed (I can appreciate what they tried to do with Aveline in AC3:L though), MGS (Though again, I enjoyed MGR:R), the list goes on.

The closest thing to hating a game might be when they take sequels in directions I am not happy with. Selfish, I know. Examples would be Arkham City after Asylum. I really liked Asylum but I couldnt even finish City and never touched a Batman game since. Another one is Dark Souls after Demon's. I wasn't feeling the roll (that got fixed with the ninja ring, then again that thing was pretty much game breaking). I hated hurting the dog. I was shocked at the crystal caves, is this Frozen? Where is Elsa? And then the T-Rexes in the lava level followed by the silly tree boss broke the camels back :)

And oh, and this is one I feel guilty about but I just can't get into FFT. I don't think I have played another sRPG I didn't like but with FFT I just can't get over the initial boredom hump.

May 28, 2015
ThreeName said:
Come at me bro
You diss a game I found somewhat entertaining? You monster. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMziHuTVoNk#t=58s]

I dislike a lot of popular game, but mostly it's because I don't like certain genres or subgenres (strategy, MOBA, fighting, stealth, arena shooter, tower defense).

One of the biggest disappointments was Divinity: Original Sin. I used to be really into Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind and the likes, so I'd love to play a modern version of them. Despite what everyone says, there's nothing modern about Original Sin. Let's use the traditional RPG checklist.

☑ Boring combat
☑ Generic characters
☑ Trite and badly written dialogue
☑ Bad controls
☑ Old-school graphics

Though I can see why people who are still into traditional RPG's like it.