Games that you mentally declare non-canon.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
bigfatcarp93 said:
somerandomguy76 said:
Halo:Reach.

To anyone that read the novels/comics, Reach's story was a travesty. The additional media created a detailed and intriguing set of interactions which the game proceeded to stomp all over. It'll be interesting to see if 343 Industries continues the trend or pays homage to the ending of The Ghosts of Onyx.
Actually, Reach never technically contradicts the books.
Yes it does.

First there is the fact that the Chief was not in Cryo-sleep at the beginning of the invasion, he was in orbit the entire time while the rest of the squad was on the ground. Him and two others were fighting Elites in orbit above the planet as the rest of the squad fought down below, he gets put into Cryo-sleep when the Pillar of Autumn leaves the battle. Cortana has been with the Chief and on-board the ship since before the battle.

In the game the Pillar of Autumn is on the ground right up until the very end of the fight, it leaves just before the world is glassed and the Chief is in Cryo-sleep already as it leaves. Cortana is delivered to the POA by Noble Six.

Then there is the fact that all Spartan II's are accounted for and under the Chief's command. George is apparently a Spartan II, and yet is in a squad made up of Spartan III's. Halsey sees these Spartans and does not find anything odd about it.

This goes against the books where not only does Halsey have no idea about the III's existence, she knows each and every Spartan by name, so there is no way she would fail to note that, and she'd also question why George was there rather than with the Chief and his unit.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Star control 3.

The ending of star con 2 opened up several huge things that could have happened for the third game, and they threw away EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING! NOTHING THAT HAPPENED IN STAR CON 3 WAS EVEN IMPORTANT GRAH NO HYPERSPACE NO QUASISPACE WHAT THE HELL IS IT EVEN?

FUCKING DOOGS

Brandon Logan

Jan 20, 2011
WolfCross said:
FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus, and a rather bang up job i'd done in forgetting all about it until now.

And as utterly shameless as FFX-2 was, in spite of myself i cant help but feel happy that Yuna got her happy ending. Flame me if you wish, i'm willing to burn.
Someone besides me likes X-2? I'm shocked.

OT: The Animal Crossing sequels.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Megaman X6-8. The series was meant to end with X5 and Capcom added on to the series after Inafune left. Making the ending that he put in X5 completely pointless, the series was meant to end with X5. Makes more sense that way.

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
Terminate421 said:
This wins all arguments:

In all seriousness no contest.
That abomination retcons itself in the end, so no need to pretend it doesn't exist. THE GAME ITSELF DOESN'T WANT TO EXIST

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Codeman90 said:
Terminate421 said:
This wins all arguments:

In all seriousness no contest.
That abomination retcons itself in the end, so no need to pretend it doesn't exist. THE GAME ITSELF DOESN'T WANT TO EXIST
I just noticed a massive plot hole, it retcons itself right? Well at the beginning Robotnik attacks. At the end there, they all forget what just happened and start over to the beginning so Robotnik would attack again....DOESN'T THAT MEAN ITS AN ENDLESS WARP PARADOX?!?

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
natster43 said:
Okay can someone explain what Fallout 3 did to the lore? I still have no clue as that as the first game I played and I couldn't really find anything typing it into google.

OT: Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta. I have only heard bad things about it and that it ruins the game so I just ignored it.
The major plot holes in Fallout 3 were:

The Enclave being alive. (Despite we know Van Buren was canon and the NCR comitted mass genocide on Navarro and what was left of the Oil Rig, the two only places the Enlcave ever existed.)

The Enclave not being as racist as they should have been, no really there is no way they ever would have let a computer be put in charge.

The Capital wasteland still looked like ruins event after the East coast was obliterated by the Chinese, which is why the Government, turned Enclave, hid in California.

Super Mutants apparently are supposed to be stupid and unable to talk intelligently (Barring their speech issues Super Mutants were widely seen as the next step in humanity, they were stronger, faster, and smarter then us, and its why the Master wanted to propagate the race... so Fawkes showing intelligence is just so dumb.)

The GECK is used to purify water, rather then making a literal Garden of Eden (Creation Kit) and could have easily made a massive area of the capital wastelands a beautiful paradise.

The Brotherhood of Steel are portrayed as good guys, which just no, the Brotherhood are arrogant assholes who deem everyone else on the planet inferior and unworthy of technology to the point of forcibly taking it from others. They feel justified in that if humanity was ready for the technology it had, the bombs never would have fallen.

The game became about good vs evil rather then simply trying to survive the aftermath of nuclear war, nuclear winter and the rebuilding process of civilization, hell for how 'Evil' the Master and the Enclave could be perceived they had logical reasons to act as they did, and in the Enclave's defense they looked to be the one true faction that could rebuild civilization back to the pre-war era.

Now that being said the game was fun, but this was in spite of the story, and the thread asked which games did we not consider canon, and there are allot more minor points that could be brought up, but those are my main reasons why Fallout 3 shouldn't have been canon, like I said though New Vegas also did a much better job trying to work the broken lore into the established canon.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
OniaPL said:
I don't understand why some people say "Dragon Age 2". There never was a sequel to DA:O... I really wish they would make one though.
I do too. Then again, they'd probably mess it up with simplified combat, copy-paste dungeons and weirdly universal omnisexuality.

On the topic, I'd ignore Duke Nukem Forever. Not because it distorts the rich lore of the Duke Nukem games *cough*, but because it was just lame.

On the other hand, I really liked BioShock 2.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Terminate421 said:
I just noticed a massive plot hole, it retcons itself right? Well at the beginning Robotnik attacks. At the end there, they all forget what just happened and start over to the beginning so Robotnik would attack again....DOESN'T THAT MEAN ITS AN ENDLESS WARP PARADOX?!?
Not quite, as the Flames of Disaster were removed from the timeline, which was what drove Eggman to attack and, really, drove the whole plot. Iblis, Mephiles, Solaris, etc never existed anymore.

The plot was still shit, though.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Nothing happens after Kingdom Hearts 2. NOTHING! The message in a bottle at the end was just Mickey thanking them. There you go! Perfect ending! shutthefuckup.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Terminate421 said:
Not quite, as the Flames of Disaster were removed from the timeline, which was what drove Eggman to attack and, really, drove the whole plot. Iblis, Mephiles, Solaris, etc never existed anymore.

The plot was still shit, though.
Watch this:

The plot was total ass but....nothing is good about this game.

zacattack14

Apr 3, 2010
I think the entire gaming community as a whole has decided Deus Ex: Invisible wars never happened and was just a fever dream

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Terminate421 said:
Oh, I know, the game had basically no redeeming features. Any game that randomly kills you with scripted sequences doesn't deserve to have been published.

Some of the music was good, at least!

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Metroid: Other M. Any game that completely ruins an interesting character is just dumb.

Cyrin

Dec 24, 2008
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Perfect Dark Zero

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith lords

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
I am probably going to get a lot of crap for saying this, but...

God of War II and God of War III

Let's just say my opinion on this mirrors what the Extra Credits guys say and leave it at that. I've seen the storyline of all three games, and it should have stayed with what they had for the first instead of struggling to come up with something to extend it into unnecessary sequels. That's how The Matrix ended up sucking.
You know what, add this to my list together with Other M. I hadn't played God of War 1 by the time I played the second one, so at that time I had no idea Kratos had any original motivations beside "I am the most sulky and evil ************ in any game ever, so fuck you while I destroy the world because someone stabbed me because I'm a massive dick. Also I use my fellow soldiers as doormats. Deal with it". Knowing that the second game ruins the entire "Greek Tragedy"-setup the original game is kind of a massive turn-off.

I mean, I was fine with Kratos being an evil psychotic armed with spiky chains, but seriously, that's some dumb character development.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Deus Ex Invisible War is always a good one to disavow. I bought it in a Steam sale over a year ago for $2.50 or so. Played it for an hour before I couldn't take it anymore. Now you'd think that would be okay because I paid so little. I definitely did not get $2.50 worth of enjoyment from that hour, and I don't think playing it longer would help.
Hah, that's funny; the EXACT same thing happened to me.
I thought "I know it has a bad reputation, but I loved the original and I loved Human Revolution, and it's only $2.50. I'll give it a try."
Unlike you, though, I actually finished that thing, hoping that it would get better.
It never did.
Ever.
Not even JC Denton's last minute return raised my opinion of it.
Yes, this is the ONE thread in which I will temporarily throw away my constant insistence that there never was a Deus Ex: Invisible War. After this thread, denial forevermore.

Oh, and Blood II: The Chosen was such a mess that I deny it as canon. The ONLY good thing about it was Caleb, but that's kind of a given.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
SkarKrow said:
TerribleAssassin said:
Sonic:

Heroes, Shadow, Riders, 06, Zero Gravity (but the Hero theme was so badass enough I considered keeping it canon, Unleashed, the Kinect Riders one and Generations.
Most of this. Though I enjoyed Heroes it has a crap story and Shadow should have stayed dead.
Generations was also fun but crap story, too short, too little desire to play stuff again, too many "Green Hill" type levels and city levels.

Colours can stay canon though, Colours is great.
Notice how I kept Colours out of the non-canon list, and also, it's the one I've yet to play.

Seriously, Sonic games have the best music going for video games.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
NuclearShadow said:
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Mothership Zeta add-on for Fallout 3. No Mothership Zeta, aliens did not start the great war.

Saviordd1 said:
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Mothership Zeta add-on for Fallout 3. No Mothership Zeta, aliens did not start the great war.
This, that DLC pissed me off especially considering how well Bethesda had handled the universe up to that point.

First of all you two should be corrected that aliens did not start the great war. Secondly the existence of alien life was confirmed in Fallout 2. The aliens are never shown but they are confirmed to exist through files and if I recall right the AI in the BoS base also has official records about it. So, are you going to un-canon Fallout 2 now as well?

Third Fallout 2 in the same location as previously stated and by the same AI also gives information that AI's were created at this time and likely played the role in the war becoming one of the nuclear level. It goes to explain that behaviors with AI tended to range greatly and the nuclear launches may have been done as a evil act or even just boredom.
The AI's could become so mentally unstable they were even known for killing themselves.

While Fallout 2 doesn't outright confirm this part I am about to share it does also hint towards that the vault programs were yet just another little entertainment for the AI (or AI's if it was more than one involved) this is why so many vaults had such whacky scenarios played out that usually would be quite entertaining to observe at-least from the outside. So every vault may actually be secretly being monitored as a sort of reality television show for the AI. Assuming they are still even functional. After all if the government and Vaulttek never actually thought a nuclear war would happen then why the need to assign these "social experiments" and if the AI's had access to be able to launch nukes like FO2 confirms than certainly they could influence the vault plans.
Aliens are hinted at starting the great war, one of the holotapes or whatever you find on Zeta suggest as much.

And I never said that aliens didn't exist in the canon, I said they didn't start the great war, don't put words in my mouth.

Also, the idea that AI did it is stupid. One of the major themes of fallout is the human drive to war and destruction, making an AI do it is just stupid (Just like having aliens do it is stupid)

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Spitfire said:
Aurora Firestorm said:
I've always seen threads like this as an excuse for people who don't like certain games in a series to claim that clearly they can modify the author's intent however they like. No, you really do have to accept that MGS2, Invisible War, Homeworld Cataclysm, ME3, and whatever else you don't like, are part of canon. They are.
The ironic thing is that, out of the 4 games that you mentioned, 3 of them could literally be deleted from history, and their respective series would still make perfect sense without them.
Invisible War doesn't count for this, because it's the "last" game in the series. Human Revolution was a prequel. You can always delete the last game and the rest will make sense.

Homeworld 2 was just as off the wall as Cataclysm. You could absolutely delete it. I mean, The Bentusi all died somewhere in the ether? WTF? The Turanic Raiders and the Taiidan just vanished? WTF?

MGS2 reappears in the form of Metal Gear Ray and Arsenal Gear in MGS4. Raiden also comes back, and he'd be utterly random if he hadn't shown up before.

ME3 is just another ending game.